Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the Worst Ebay Experience You've Ever Had?

Quote Originally Posted by Fandabidozi View Post
    I bought Dark Forces: Rebel Agent novel since my kindle version was corrupted for about £2.00. Book arrived and there had been some kinda massive spider squashed inside that had absorbed through most of the inside pages.

That's pretty awful.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

I'm only a buyer, and as an international buyer, I've lost easily like 7-10 small packages with DCUC - Star Wars or G.I.Joe figures in a 5 year term. It is totally bummer since there were key figures that I could never get later such as Kenner Boba Fett, DCUC Atom & Cheetah or Major G.I.Joe Mayor Storm & Updraft, and I could not state a money back claim since mostly was from a seller that I've purchased over 100 figures and I heavily trusted

However, the worst experience was when I won an auction for a complete vintage Castle Grayskull with its box for $98 and $42 international shipping with tracking. Everything was smooth and all of the sudden seller claimed that shipping actually was $115. Of course I refused to pay pretty much 3 times the shipping cost and it took me almost two months to get the former $140 payment back I've made.

Luckliy then I was able to get another complete vintage CG sans the box for $95 + $35 shipping
    Last edited by Rhanen; February 25, 2021 at 11:54am.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    I just had another incident of a seller having a "Best Offer" option. I offered $5 less than the asking price, but it automatically denied me. I then went $3 less. Automatically denied. I then went $1 less and it automatically accepted.

Seriously. What's the point?

I recently saw a variant of a figure that I was very interested in, but the seller had it listed for more than twice what it would go for on the open market. So I contacted him, explained that the price was too high, and offered him $70 for it (just over half what he was asking for it).

Instead of replying to me, he re-listed the item for $80 with a Best Offer, and then it immediately sold to god-knows-who for the best offer he accepted (which was probably around $70). I never had a chance to buy it outright or make an offer since he didn't bother to reply. I was very annoyed.

The point of having a best offer at around the listed price is that you may have the price at the lowest you're willing to go and don't want to deal with offers substantially below that amount.

My worst experience has been dealing with eBay. As a seller, you are expected to bend over backwards for buyers. I've gotten dings months later for issues that could have been solved at the time. Negatives from people who didn't bother asking for a refund.

Mmph.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

My worst experiences might be when I see something rare that I really want, but accidentally miss out on making a sniping bid at the end for various reasons and it goes for a price that I would have definitely paid a lot more than. I've set my alarm for stuff before, but still have accidentally fallen back to sleep for example.

When I first got on the internet and ebay in the 90s, I was more likely to get ripped off since I hadn't done the research nor the knowledge base on some things. I once bid on a "Transformers: The Movie 2" and of course that never came. Most of the negative experience with sellers in recent years have been because items aren't as described or things come damaged in the mail. If I am buying for the kids, it isn't a big deal, but I hate when people ship MOC items in envelops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I started doing this, since some of the prices are getting out of hand. If I have a price in my head, and I don't want to go higher if then I'll ask if they'll cut me a deal. One guy ask me how much, so a did low-ball him thinking he would counter offer. The price I ended up offering was only $5 less than the starting bid. He didn't even bite with that, so I'm thinking why even ask me how much just say, no, I've already have the starting bid as low as I will go.

The good news even though his auction sat for more than one cycle he did sell it for more than I was willing to pay:
    http://ebay.us/ozFSQx

Good for the seller, bad for me - LOL
    I recently offered $25 more than the minimum price for something because the auction ended very late and didn't have a bid yet. He was very sure the item would go for a good amount, so he didn't accept and it ended up going for the minimum.

Master of New Adventures!
    When I first got onto eBay, which I now love, one of my biggest stumbles was that I didn't do research on an item I wanted to bid on. I got stung badly -- my fault -- when I fell in love with a colander that matched our Villeroy and Boch dish pattern. I was so enamored with the kitchen accessory that I got carried away with my bidding and ended up paying $75 for a kitchen colander worth about thirty-five bucks.

After I had purchased it, as an afterthought I did some research and learned of my mistake. I sent a message to the seller telling him, "I'm the idiot that spent seventy-five dollars for your colander..." hoping he'd have mercy on me and let me out of the purchase. No such luck. He was having none of it.

It hurt to overpay, but it was a valuable lesson: when you see something you like on eBay, take a couple of minutes to Google it for a frame of reference before you start bidding on it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    The point of having a best offer at around the listed price is that you may have the price at the lowest you're willing to go and don't want to deal with offers substantially below that amount.
    Why have the option at all then?

Because somebody can send an offer that's good enough they can get it right then and there. If I have something listed for 5 and someone offers me 10, I'll take it and that person gets it quicker and doesn't have to compete with others.

I still don't quite get the 'sniping' mentality. I have a price in mind I won't go over, bid that amount and if it goes over that, oh well. Coming in at the last second to outbid someone just seems pointless in an online auction where you can set your maximum bid at the start.
    Last edited by He-Manis007; May 15, 2021 at 10:55pm.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

My worst Ebay experience was very recently. I got a Star Wars Black Series Dengar for a steal...around $54 shipped...but it never came. Contacted the seller and he said he went to the post office and the guaranteed it was sent out. Tracking however never left pre-shipment. Anyway, after another month of waiting and no tracking movement, I filed a claim asking that it be sent or tracked and was insteqd refunded. I haven't seen another priced that low since so I still don't have that figure. I left neutral feedback since it never arrived (I still don't think he sent it since it didn't get the money the other one's are getting).

Heroic Warrior
    Because somebody can send an offer that's good enough they can get it right then and there. If I have something listed for 5 and someone offers me 10, I'll take it and that person gets it quicker and doesn't have to compete with others.

I still don't quite get the 'sniping' mentality. I have a price in mind I won't go over, bid that amount and if it goes over that, oh well. Coming in at the last second to outbid someone just seems pointless in an online auction where you can set your maximum bid at the start.
    You have totally missed the point. If a seller offers a Best Offer option, why would they only accept an offer within a dollar of their asking price? It makes the Best Offer option from the seller pointless. Iím not sure how this can be misunderstood. This isnít about an auction.

Sniping is a way to bid what you want without a "other buyer" come in and immediately bid a dollar more because the seller doesn't really want to sell it at that price.

Let me be more clear: "somebody" outbids you and then the item is immediately relisted by the original seller.
    Last edited by Dice; May 17, 2021 at 02:12pm.

Bang Your Head
    About 13 years ago, a friend wanted me to sell her wedding dress. Someone from Germany wanted to purchase it, but wanted to send a money order I believe, and in a higher amount than the listing price (and have me send back the remainder along with dress). Needless to say, that transaction never took place.

I've also had a constant buyer want to be friends with me, and send stuff to his family that he's having issues with. It got really weird when his account got hacked...

Both of those sounds like there's a Lifetime movie in there somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    About 13 years ago, a friend wanted me to sell her wedding dress. Someone from Germany wanted to purchase it, but wanted to send a money order I believe, and in a higher amount than the listing price (and have me send back the remainder along with dress). Needless to say, that transaction never took place.

I've also had a constant buyer want to be friends with me, and send stuff to his family that he's having issues with. It got really weird when his account got hacked...

Sniping is for people that are paranoid the seller is trying to screw them?

There were a few times I got scammed back in the early days of ebay. I think the one I'm most sore about still to this day was winning 2 seperate auctions for MOC GI*JOE figures: Hawk v. 2 and a Snakes Eyes v. 3 from the same seller. The figures with shipping came out to about $60. I never received the items. He never returned emails. He also relisted the items. Back in those day if you got scammed, you were just screwed.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I've sniped. No shame. I don't like to leave much to chance. Although in my own defense, I've only done it a couple of times, in cases where the item was very rare and it was likely going to be years before I'd ever get another chance at it. History has vindicated me in this, as I've looked around time and again to see of those things ever did pop up, and yeah, usually not. So scummy or not, I did what I had to do.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Sniping is for people that are paranoid the seller is trying to screw them?
    No. Early on I was just a guy trying to buy things on Ebay. I found that with certain items one of two things would happen:

1. Guy has friend (or even themselves) bid on the item to get price up. If by end of auction someone is going to win with a price the seller doesn't like, friend will jump in and place a bid. Ok you think, "I lost that one". But then within a day you're still looking for that item and the exact same one from the same seller is back?

2. I had bid on an item (this happened a few times) and would be winning the auction for days. Creeps down to the last second and you think you've won only to have a "sorry, you were outbid" message pop up.

After that I learned that I would only bid at the last 15 seconds or less. I won a lot of things that way because I had a price I was willing to pay and always bid that price no matter how much more it was than the current bid.

What is the Worst Ebay Experience You've Ever Had?

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I've sniped. No shame. I don't like to leave much to chance. Although in my own defense, I've only done it a couple of times, in cases where the item was very rare and it was likely going to be years before I'd ever get another chance at it. History has vindicated me in this, as I've looked around time and again to see of those things ever did pop up, and yeah, usually not. So scummy or not, I did what I had to do.
    Nothing wrong with sniping. I see it as protecting myself from inexperienced bidders who will run the price into the stratosphere panic-bidding.

Edit: And on that note, Iíve lost out on a few items waiting too long, but I accept that risk as ďlive by the sword ...Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had a bad experience since about 10 years ago. I bought a case (4) of NECA Endoskeletons, he only shipped one, and broken parts were scattered in the box.

Sniping is absolutely a valid thing to do on Ebay.

That said, as a seller, I wish they gave the option to add 30 seconds to the clock if a bid is made in the last minute. Like a real auction.
    Check out my Etsy page for items ready to ship.
    Contact BadVermin for all your custom projects and repaints.

Your last sentence is one of the most brilliant and spot-on observations and suggestions I've ever heard regarding eBay. I like to lurk in the background and lunge at the last five seconds, with my bid already loaded. But over the years I've had more than a few bidders do the same thing to me.

eBay should realize it is distinctly to their advantage and to the advantage of sellers to have bidding extended those 30 seconds you talk about for bids made in the last minute. Levels the playing field so bidding doesn't end until everyone has made their final bid and also will raise the ultimate selling price.

I'll respectfully suggest you email them that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    I haven't had a bad experience since about 10 years ago. I bought a case (4) of NECA Endoskeletons, he only shipped one, and broken parts were scattered in the box.

Sniping is absolutely a valid thing to do on Ebay.

That said, as a seller, I wish they gave the option to add 30 seconds to the clock if a bid is made in the last minute. Like a real auction.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Not sure how I managed to avoid this thread for so long.

Surprisingly, I've been buying stuff off ebay for almost 20 years and have only had very few bad experiences.

The worst was when I tried to get a custom Sgt. Slaughter figure that was supposed to be made to order. These were sort of a standard thing for a little while that a lot of people bought, so I thought it would be safe. Seller kept putting me off and putting me off and eventually just disappeared. I didn't get my money back because he conned my for long beyond the policy window. That's the only time I've ever really felt completely ripped off.

There was one time I bought a graded comic whose case had clearly become unsealed (and wasn't advertised as such). I didn't really have a problem with it because it was a good price even for the raw comic.

There have been probably between 3-5 occasions when I just never got the item, but I never had a problem getting my money back through ebay's guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I just had another incident of a seller having a "Best Offer" option. I offered $5 less than the asking price, but it automatically denied me. I then went $3 less. Automatically denied. I then went $1 less and it automatically accepted.

Seriously. What's the point?
    That junk annoys me to no end. And it happens way too much. I honestly wonder if some people just set it up by mistake. I've literally made offers almost up to the asking price only for sellers to completely remove the "Best Offer" option from the auction completely.

I have bought from competing sellers before just because someone had a "Best Offer" option but wouldn't even accept a few dollars off a hundred-ish dollar sale. That's just being obnoxious and those type of people don't get my money.

That being said, for all those out there that use ebay, absolutely make use of the "Best Offer" feature. I think lots of people don't even consider it, but occasionally, people will accept amazing cuts from their BIN price! I had been on ebay a long time when I realized this, and it was a complete game changer! I probably spend as much time haggling as I do bidding, lol.

On the subject of sniping...

This isn't a knock on anyone, but if you don't understand sniping, I just don't think you've been on ebay enough as it is pretty much ubiquitous. Or either you're buying stuff that practically no one else wants. After you lose about 2 dozen auctions by a dollar or something, you'll change your mind. I know it seems like basic logic dictates that everyone should just put their highest bid in and have it function essentially like a silent auction, but the fact of the matter is you're almost never going to win an auction like that (unless no one else bids). Basically the entire auction happens in the last minute, if not the last 30secs...if not the last 10secs.

I don't know if it's sellers outbidding their own auctions (like Dice is suggesting), bad-faith actors who ultimately don't pay (that's my guess), or just people who get overzealous as the clock is winding down and don't even think about what they're doing; they just want to "win". In regards to that last scenario, I frequently see auctions that end up going over the prices of other sellers' BIN prices on the exact same item! These people just get caught up in an illogical frenzy or something.

And while I'd be willing to wager that no one likes sniping and they just see it as very unfortunate necessity, it does have very rare positive outcomes. I think most people on ebay generally accept what I've laid out above, which keeps the price relatively low to almost nonexistent until right at the auction's end. On very rare occasions, pretty much everyone will sleep on something and you can get it for practically nothing. I think that's happened to me before, but I have definitely seen it before as someone who slept on something that I intended to bid on and missed out on a stupidly good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    I honestly don't think that would work the way people think it would. Selling prices would end up greatly inflated and the instances of bogus buyers would probably go through the roof.

To be honest, I just wish they had a straight up silent auction system.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; May 18, 2021 at 04:18pm.

Sniping serves two important functions for a buyer:

1. Sniping prevents other people from seeing your offer and choosing to raise their offer to beat yours at the last minute. If everyone snipes in the last 10 seconds of an auction, there's no time for anyone to reconsider their bid and raise the price.

2. Sniping prevents ME from seeing other people's bids and then offering more than I originally intended. I generally have an idea of the max that I want to spend, but (like most people) I can occasionally be goaded into raising my offer by other bidders. Sniping allows me to simply offer what I think is a fair price and then not stress over it anymore. If I lose in this way, I didn't waste my time thinking about making a bigger offer only to lose (or to win but spend more than I intended).

I am not a big ebay fan. I bought and sold some items, but there was always a frustrating hassle with it. I'd much rather just buy items from an online store and then sell my stuff at conventions.

My worst experience was as a seller. I sold my Commemorative He-man and Battlecat pack for a good price on ebay. I took three days to get to the UPS store to mail it out and the guy that bought gave me a negative score since I took too long. It was a busy week and I tried to get the UPS store, which is not close to me, as soon as I could, but the guy was mad I took too long to mail it out. That really turned me off to the whole experience and it was the last time I sold something on ebay.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    I recently asked about an item - what brand it was. The seller didn't know, but assured me the quality was good. Told me, "Take a chance. It's inexpensive."

I replied, "No thanks." And bought from a seller who knew what brand it was and sent plenty of pictures.