Thread: What is the Worst Ebay Experience You've Ever Had?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heroic Warrior

What is the Worst Ebay Experience You've Ever Had?

I've had many bad experiences.

From sellers not being honest about "like new" condition of items, to buyers sending me messages for auctions like, "Hey, will you cut ME a deal on this?" (even though the current bid is higher than what they are offering).

But one of my worst experiences was when when I sold a MOTUC Vikor. I explicitly stated in the description (something many buyers do not read) that I only shipped in the United States. But for some reason, on this one listing, it allowed international buyers. It was a Buy It Now option, and when he bought it, I refunded the money immediately and told him that I didn't ship outside the country, as stated in the description. He became irate, said he was tired of sellers doing this, that he didn't have time to read the description (really), and that when the option is there, he buys. He threatened that he was going to contact Ebay, and he was going to fight it. He repaid, and I refunded the money again. This time, he sent me a series of profanity-laced messages, telling me I was a this and a that. Most amusing.
    Last edited by RockinHard; February 23, 2021 at 10:52am.

I've had mostly good experiences but I'm also a buyer and am picky about who I buy from.

My worst experience happened so long ago I can barely remember the details other than it was some rare Heroclix I was buying. But it was the classic "my dad went into the hospital, brother is in the burn ward, I got diarrhea" excuse as to why they never shipped my goods. Eventually they shipped but I didn't get everything. Was young and dumb and didn't open a dispute.

My other bad experience was with a seller (bigger seller/store) who had a buy it now option for the item I wanted. After waiting weeks I contacted them asking when they would ship. They told me they didn't have that item and that it wasn't their fault it wasn't in stock?? I was like, "then why the crap did you have it for sale if you didn't have it?!".

That one ended with negative feedback (which they desperately tried to get me to change) and my money back.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

I only had a few bad experiences on eBay mostly with buyers.

Bought a £300 Brave Maximus from South Korea which was supposed to be brand new and when it arrived it had been opened and missing a side ramp for the elevator.

I sold a Mospeada Legioss/Robotech Alpha to a buyer in Holland. Who contacted me with a picture of a repaired toy the same and tried to say it was mine and that it had a rrived broken and that he fixed it but wanted some of the money back. I told him that wasn't mine and that mine wasn't broke. And asked if it was broke why did you fix it and not contact me and photograph it broken.

Another noteable experience was buying a G.I. Joe Airtight from the USA. After several weeks of waiting I contact him and asked if he had a tracking number as it still hadn't arrived. He got extremely angry and banned me from buying any of his items.
    During the course of the messages he even said that he would refund the cost of the figure but not the postage as he didn't want to be out the cost of postage. I told him the potage was more than the figure and he wasn't out the money on postage as I paid the postage. Long story short thanks to PayPal I got my money fully refunded. The figure never did turn up.

The others were selling Transformers and a Voltron to buyers in China who tried to claim they arrived broken which was impossible. Even felt sorry for one of those guys and gave him a Gobot free that he had been enquiring about and scum like that still try and do you out of money.

Mine was as a seller. I sold a rare box set of omnibus editions. They normally go for close to £400, but I only got £150 which I was a bit gutted about. That's the nature of Ebay though, so I couldn't complain.

Then the buyer showed me pictures of the collectors box, supposedly straight out of the packaging, absolutely crushed with the omnibuses all fine. The box I shipped it in (along with 2 thick layers of bubble wrap and corner protectors) was still in perfect condition. I was absolutely certain the seller had damaged the case as he only wanted the omnibuses inside. He then demanded £50 off the price! I told him to send it back to me for a full refund and he said he still wanted them and would open a case. I contacted Ebay, who basically told me to take his offer as he could trash the items, then send them back to me and I'd have nothing to resell. I put in a complaint, but was eventually forced to settle for £115! I'd actually forgotten how much that whole saga annoyed me

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    ...The others were selling Transformers and a Voltron to buyers in China who tried to claim they arrived broken which was impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    ...I contacted Ebay, who basically told me to take his offer as he could trash the items, then send them back to me and I'd have nothing to resell. I put in a complaint, but was eventually forced to settle for £115!...
    These type of stories really tick me off. I'd never sell on Ebay as it seems like it's too easy for the buyer to screw the sellers.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Heroic Warrior
    As a seller, I've been fortunate not have many really bad experiences, aside from the one I detailed at the beginning. That, and frequent potential bidders/buyers messaging me with sometimes odd reasons as to why I should allow them to purchase an item for cheaper.

I remember selling off the Friday the 13th parts 5/6 and 7/8 combo blu-rays. Before the recent box set came out with each movie, these particular combo discs would go for $30-$70 a piece on Ebay. The only other way to get these particular movies on blu-ray at a decent price was in the 8-movie collection (which was much cheaper). When I was selling them both for Buy-it-Nows, I got so many messages like, "Hey, I can get these movies in the eight movie collection, so no reason not to let me buy them for much cheaper." Which means they were depending on a hopeful ignorance on my part so that they could swindle me and get them for cheap. I've had this kind of thing happen multiple times with various items, though.
    Last edited by RockinHard; February 23, 2021 at 02:42pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    These type of stories really tick me off. I'd never sell on Ebay as it seems like it's too easy for the buyer to screw the sellers.
    Thankfully though those few experiences are only a few compared to around 1500 great experiences.

But sellers don't have as much protection against scammers as they should as there are some really scummy scammers on their with a lot of tricks to scam sellers.

Although eBay has changed now and between them and PayPal theyu take far too much money in fees.

Most stories here involve fraud. My story is just a noob story.
    Years ago, I found an item I wanted, I honestly am blanking on what, at a really low bid price. By now I knew about sniping so I waited patiently and ok the last 30, swooped in because my nerves couldn’t take waiting too close. I bid against whoever and won!!
    Or so I thought ... my winning bid didn’t meet the reserve price.
    And that’s how I learned about reserve prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's only been one experience that did leave me fairly annoyed. A particular seller with very positive reviews had a figure I wanted for a pretty good price. I bought it without a second thought. A day later, a different seller had JUST listed the same figure, same condition for much cheaper.

I try to find good deals so I wanted this cheaper version instead. So I politely asked the seller whom I bought the first time around for a refund...and he refused. Just a simple "no" and to expect the figure by Monday. I explained the situation and asked again if he could refund me. Again, he said no and that it was "my tough luck". Mind you, every listing of his claims to accept refunds/returns! After a while, he just quit answering my messages and he wound up NEVER sending the figure!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    "Hey, will you cut ME a deal on this?"
    I started doing this, since some of the prices are getting out of hand. If I have a price in my head, and I don't want to go higher if then I'll ask if they'll cut me a deal. One guy ask me how much, so a did low-ball him thinking he would counter offer. The price I ended up offering was only $5 less than the starting bid. He didn't even bite with that, so I'm thinking why even ask me how much just say, no, I've already have the starting bid as low as I will go.

The good news even though his auction sat for more than one cycle he did sell it for more than I was willing to pay:
    http://ebay.us/ozFSQx

Good for the seller, bad for me - LOL

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I started doing this, since some of the prices are getting out of hand. If I have a price in my head, and I don't want to go higher if then I'll ask if they'll cut me a deal. One guy ask me how much, so a did low-ball him thinking he would counter offer. The price I ended up offering was only $5 less than the starting bid. He didn't even bite with that, so I'm thinking why even ask me how much just say, no, I've already have the starting bid as low as I will go.
    You sound like just the buyer all reasonable sellers want to deal with.

I created my eBay account in 2004 and only really had a problem with one seller. I bought a vintage faker, paid and waited for it to come in the mail. The seller kept messaging me asking to leave positive feedback. Not that big a deal bc that’s common. Then he would ask me “well what do you think?” and “ Good stuff right?” He messaged me like 3 or 4 times.

I was like ok this guy is just a weirdo. Figure was in great shape and just blew off the weirdness. I ended up buying a few more things from him(a couple hundred bucks) then boom, he disappeared.
    He would lure people bc he did this to a ton of people with multiple usernames and aliases.
    I still remember his username (w8lifter)
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

I sold a Hot Toys figure valued at about $500. Due to the size of the package I sent it UPS cause shipping it through the PO was almost twice as much. I stated in the listing that it would ship via UPS with full insurance and that the buyer would have to sign for it due to the value of the box. I sent the package off no problems. I contacted the buyer and let them know when the package was scheduled to arrive and reminded him it would require a signature.

A few days later I get a message via ebay from the buyer complaining and attacking me cause I sent it UPS and that since it needed a signature the driver just left him a notice at the front of his apartment building instead of just leaving it up front where anybody could have picked it up and walked off with it. I then instructed the buyer on how to reschedule the package for delivery. The buyer though just refused to do anything about it and then claimed that I never sent the package. So I looked up the tracking number to see where it was being held and I learned that it litteraly was sitting 2 blocks away from his house at a UPS center that was located inside a grocery store. I notified the buyer where it was at and told him to just go two blocks down the street and pick it up. He once again refused and the package was sent back to me eventually. I refunded him his money but kept the shipping cost for myself since I did no wrong. He complained and left me a negative feedback. Ebay eventually sided with him which made zero sense and he got back the shipping cost as well.

I then relisted the item and the same guy bought it again and wanted me to send it again to him but without the signature confirmation. I refused and sent him a refund and canceled the sale. I then contacted ebay who instructed me on how to block certain buyers from my listings. Now that I know how to block certain members, I do it all the time to flaky buyers who ask stupid stuff or just seem like pests. It's not worth dealing with idiots.

One of the first things I ever bought on eBay was super fire convoy. I thought I got a steal and the seller ended up sending me a folder from the car robots series with super fire convoy on it.

He had changed the auction after I won and changed the description. You used to be able to do that kind of thing when eBay first started. It was a lawless time.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    I still remember his username (w8lifter)
    If my memory serves, he pulled some scams here on the forums too.

Chris here...

I've actually been very lucky, the worst eBay scam I was involved in was when I bought a microphone for £400 and the seller messaged me suggesting we cancel the transaction through eBay and take it private, to save on "the fees that [he] & I both pay". I declined to accept this suggestion. Needless to say, my mic never turned up after he allegedly sent it, and after opening a case I got my money back. However, someone else could easily have fallen for that and ended up with no redress because they would have taken it outside of eBay!

The only other one that sticks out in my mind is when I bought some audiobooks on cassette from somebody which I won via auction, he was unhappy that they finished for such a low price and so charged me combined shipping of something like £5.99 for a package that cost him less than £1.00 to send.

Other than that, I've had a couple of items damaged due to poor packaging and a couple of "not as described" that I've had to return, but overall, especially after reading some of these stories, I feel very fortunate!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

The new payment method for sellers is my current bad experience with eBay.

The vast majority of my eBay experiences are good.

But one instance comes to mind.

I had purchased the POP Classics Swiftwind from an interstate seller in Australia that had 100% positive feedback.

The shipping time should have around two weeks, tops. A whole month went by and I hadn't received it. The seller was very quick to respond and said it was posted the day payment was made. I also had no reason not to trust the seller given their feedback history.

I rang the postal service and it turns out the parcel had made its way to another state south of where I was, when it should had just been sent east. Then the parcel was sent back to the originating state. The postal service did give me periodic updates, and I think after another two weeks, the parcel finally arrived.

Although the item was packaged quite securely, the outer box was close to being completely shredded, and the inner POP Classics mailer box had holes throughout.

Thankfully, the Swiftwind figure was undamaged, and I was able to save most of the inner box with the bio.

Not sure what happened to the parcel for it to arrive in such a condition....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    The vast majority of my eBay experiences are good.

But one instance comes to mind.

I had purchased the POP Classics Swiftwind from an interstate seller in Australia that had 100% positive feedback.

The shipping time should have around two weeks, tops. A whole month went by and I hadn't received it. The seller was very quick to respond and said it was posted the day payment was made. I also had no reason not to trust the seller given their feedback history.

I rang the postal service and it turns out the parcel had made its way to another state south of where I was, when it should had just been sent east. Then the parcel was sent back to the originating state. The postal service did give me periodic updates, and I think after another two weeks, the parcel finally arrived.

Although the item was packaged quite securely, the outer box was close to being completely shredded, and the inner POP Classics mailer box had holes throughout.

Thankfully, the Swiftwind figure was undamaged, and I was able to save most of the inner box with the bio.

Not sure what happened to the parcel for it to arrive in such a condition....
    That doesn't sound like an Ebay issue . . .