Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NEW IMAGE: CGI He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Action Figures/Series

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I think it's quite a stretch to say that Revelations will be as big as arguably the biggest anime in the world today.
    That's a stretch, yes.

It's less of a stretch to say that the two shows will have common ground in hitting that sweet spot with the Netflix audience that is willing to watch animation, which is a significant population given their continued investment in animated products, at least in theory.

Court Magician
    Anyways, I just realized that parts of He-Man's arms appear to be glowing. Looks like SOMEONE got a bit carried away at the radiation buffet.

Having seen the new designs, I am definitely looking forward to the new MOTU series!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    From the analyst meeting:

Also, a slightly higher definition image:

https://news.toyark.com/wp-content/u...oon-Design.jpg
    I'm kinda diggin' that "H-M" "Double Sword" motif on his chest.

I really think that this could be a fun show for old and new fans... different is good sometimes.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

I can't wait for the new MOTU series, both of them, I think the toys look awesome, even though I'm mostly focusing on collecting books, CD's and DVD's at the moment.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Also, don't forget that with all of this new MOTU love, we will most likely see a new MOTU video game!

Even Troll Hunters had a video game released a while ago...

I'd believe that when I see it. All any licensed brands get anymore are crappy cell phone games. I'd love a "real" MOTU game but I won't hold my breath.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

My point is you are saying it's wrong for them to make a version that would prioritise new fans over old fans and making it out like they are abandoning old fans or only giving old fans a small token thing. When that isn't the case.

Those two Netlfix shows are two things, in a sea of content that is otherwise aimed exclusively at the original 80's audience. for nearly 20 years all the comics, toys ect were made for the original fanbase and even now that vast bulk of the stuff produced is still aimed at the original fanbase.

So it's dumb to cry about them "abandoning the old fans" because they frankly aren't.
    You are again putting words in my mouth. "Abandoning the fanbase" is not the same as "putting all your eggs into a polarizing animation show which has the potential to sink the franchise (again)".

This is their flagship show; the Kevin Smith cartoon isn't. Revelation is a small bone thrown to the original fans so Mattel can point and say "See? We care. Now shut up about the CGI cartoon because iT's nOt FoR yOu" aka "fanservice tax so we can do something different." You can see by the antagonistic approach Mattel took toward OG She-Ra fans (which blew up in their face) that they're treading very lightly with MOTU. They at least learned that much, and I doubt they will ever give another filmmaker as broad a license as they did Noelle Stevenson.

Back to Pinhead He-Man: I don't think this brand of animation appeals to really anyone, regardless of whether they're a new or old fan. It's possible that I'm so out of touch that modern kids go gaga over cgi rubicks cube anime, so if that's the case then Mattel has zero worries.

If I'm correct, and the negative reaction that this has elicited thus far from young and old alike is a harbinger of things to come, then Mattel should be very worried, as should all MOTU fans. We remember what happened the last time a MOTU animated series tanked, killing the entire brand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I'd believe that when I see it. All any licensed brands get anymore are crappy cell phone games. I'd love a "real" MOTU game but I won't hold my breath.
    Yeah, here in the US we only got the crappy GBA MOTU game during the 200X era. Europe got the flawed but decent PS2 game.

What's come out since then? A crappy cellphone game (Tossers of Grayskull? May be the UK title, can't recall) and a decent unlicensed Beats of Rage homebrew, which I highly recommend.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Well, we don't know how this will be received, but other Netflix shows from the same animation studio have performed very well. CGI kid's shows tend do well on Netflix in general. So we'll see. That's how I've been looking at it for both upcoming MOTU shows. Both shows from the same animation studio working on Revelation have been hits for Netflix, too. So I think both have positives going for them. I'm not really concerned about (some) fan reaction on social media to a poor quality promotional still. Things like that seldom get received well, we all know that. Most of the negative comments are quite meaningless in general. I've seen a lot of comments about his small head, and the "silly" use of proportion. The only constructive criticisms I've seen (one that I also share) is that Battle-Cat's armour design is far too busy and over-designed. Or that his sword is a bit OTT.
    Last edited by Krueger; March 6, 2021 at 11:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Yeah, here in the US we only got the crappy GBA MOTU game during the 200X era. Europe got the flawed but decent PS2 game.

What's come out since then? A crappy cellphone game (Tossers of Grayskull? May be the UK title, can't recall) and a decent unlicensed Beats of Rage homebrew, which I highly recommend.
    The Most Powerful Game in the Universe is still a fun game to pick up and play from time to time... unfortunately, it's no longer available in the Apple Store nor Google Play.

I wouldn't mind a $10 Switch port to the eShop - with controller support.

But, I agree... the BOR MotU game is unbelievable. And as a fan-made game, it's still better than any licensed MotU game ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    The Most Powerful Game in the Universe is still a fun game to pick up and play from time to time... unfortunately, it's no longer available in the Apple Store nor Google Play.

But, I agree... the BOR MotU game is unbelievable. And as a fan-made game, it's still better than any licensed MotU game ever made.
    I actually love both the MOTU Playstation game and the MOTU Game Boy Advance game, but sadly due to arthritic hands, I can no longer play games with ease and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    If I'm correct, and the negative reaction that this has elicited thus far from young and old alike is a harbinger of things to come, then Mattel should be very worried, as should all MOTU fans. We remember what happened the last time a MOTU animated series tanked, killing the entire brand.
    This isn't aimed at you or your comments but I would like to throw this into the discussion:

Parents and adults reactions to a show or toy can greatly influence a child's reaction to it. So I would say that sometimes there's value in not stomping out what appears to be a weed before we see if it can blossom into a flower.

At some point we're not going to be able to carry this franchise. It needs a way to move on to the next generations. I'm not saying this is it, but I agree that we should give it a chance. We older fans may hate it but would you all be angry if it was a hit with kids?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    This isn't aimed at you or your comments but I would like to throw this into the discussion:

Parents and adults reactions to a show or toy can greatly influence a child's reaction to it. So I would say that sometimes there's value in not stomping out what appears to be a weed before we see if it can blossom into a flower.

At some point we're not going to be able to carry this franchise. It needs a way to move on to the next generations. I'm not saying this is it, but I agree that we should give it a chance. We older fans may hate it but would you all be angry if it was a hit with kids?
    ^^^ This is the best thing I've read on the internet in a long time!

I totally agree with this line of thought, and I certainly know that I couldn't be upset if this show (or another MOTU iteration like it) becomes a hit even if it's not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post

Absolutely not. I hope beyond anything this is a huge hit with the kids. It would ensure the franchise could keep going.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    I doubt I will be overly interested in this but know that I will watch it. Hoping my son will get into it and give me the excuse to watch it

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    I showed the image to my kids...they are more the target audience for this.

Their reaction: why is He-Man's head so small? Battle Cat looks cool.

They thought overall (other than the head) it looked kind of cool, but I doubt they have any interest in actually watching. But maybe other kids will dig it. I'm happy if they do.

Heroic Warrior
    NOPE... he-man is gender specific
    SHE-ra is too... masters is racist...

Sorry folks you hype motu right now ...
    You know this will happen. I'm a big fan nostalgia fan.
    But leave motu in the past or it will be destroyed, these toys are great for kids but as a collector I don't like the design.
    Imagine Adam is a soft confused teen... then masculinity is forced on him to become a alpha...
    I warn you .... let motu stay under the radar or let it be dismantled and forgotten .. there are just too many easy targets for the freeze rays...

Heroic Warrior
    Superman, Batman, cat woman, Spider-Man, aqua man, iron man, super girl, spider woman, batgirl, power man, and the on the nose black panther.

I believe the new MOTU series (both of them) will appeal to old and new fans alike, at least people should give it a chance before they bash it to pieces.

Court Magician

If the Ninja Turtles are any indication, we'll end up getting a random game based on the Filmation series or the old minicomics when no one is expecting it.

Which I would be totally down for, a 4 player beat-em-up where you control one of four Masters and fight minions, Horde Troopers, and bosses. Granted, everyone would fight over who gets to play He-Man, but you'd play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    If the Ninja Turtles are any indication, we'll end up getting a random game based on the Filmation series or the old minicomics when no one is expecting it.

Which I would be totally down for, a 4 player beat-em-up where you control one of four Masters and fight minions, Horde Troopers, and bosses. Granted, everyone would fight over who gets to play He-Man, but you'd play it.
    I would even play it, even though my arthritic hands are no longer suited for extensive game play anymore, but a MOTU game would totally be worth it, especially if you could play as many of our beloved MOTU characters. Ideally, the Heroic Warriors, Great Rebellion and Galactic Guardians versus the Evil Warriors, Evil Horde, Snake Men and Evil Mutants would be epic!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I believe the new MOTU series (both of them) will appeal to old and new fans alike, at least people should give it a chance before they bash it to pieces.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post

This is what I'm hoping for.

If these shows do decently, I have no doubt that a new game will eventually come out... I just hope it's not another shovelware mobile app or, worse, Fortnite skins!!!

This is what I'm hoping for.

If these shows do decently, I have no doubt that a new game will eventually come out... I just hope it's not another shovelware mobile app or, worse, Fortnite skins!!!
    Maybe a Warriors clone?

Court Magician
    Maybe a Warriors clone?
    Musou/Dynasty Warriors games are rarely given to Western licenses, but a MOTU-themed Dynasty Warriors game makes way too much sense. These are supposed to be the most powerful warriors in the universe, and having them lay waste to armies of mooks is a good way to get that across.