Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NEW IMAGE: CGI He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Action Figures/Series

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    T

- Unrelated, but I can't help but notice that you do the "Trust me, I'm Autistic" thing quite often, and I have never seen this kind of thing before from anyone. I am not trying to insult you, but I am saying I find it a bit strange.
    Nah it's just something I made up, as a joke/to see how people would react to it.

Although I am autistic, that part is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I'm not inclined to think that He-Man/MOTU is still going to be around and popular a hundred years from now. Maybe it will, most likely it won't. It might be like D1ck Tracy or The Shadow or The Lone Ranger - still hanging around, but largely irrelevant. Or it might be like swing music - something that was hugely popular in its day but by then everyone just laughs at and looks back on as an example of how silly things were back in those days.

Popeye's still around. So are Rocky & Bullwinkle. They don't have much in common, really, except for 1. They were once a lot more popular than they are now, and 2. There absolutely will not be some great big huge reboot that suddenly makes them popular and relevant again. That is never, ever, EVER going to happen. Even if those things are still around in another 50 or 100 years, they will be as they are now: Relics of a mostly-forgotten era. "Remember this?" kind of stuff.

But all things, in their time, must end. If it were up to me, MOTU would be huge right now and it would be huge in 50 years. But it isn't up to me. I'm a Realist, and occasionally, something of a Fatalist. And if it ended tomorrow... I wouldn't be happy, but I'd be at peace in knowing that it had a great run in its day. I got what I wanted out of it for a long, long time.
    It feels like He-Man / MOTU is tracking similar to that of GI Joe. It is something that is around, everyone knows what it is, but it is not exactly BIG or extremely relevant. It is just kind of an Evergreen property that always has some kind of content coming out and toys on the shelves. Think about it. GI Joe was already pretty old when we were kids in the '80s. It's popularity back then was part of a revival or 2nd wave. The first wave of GI Joes was in the '60s. Then they had a 3rd wave in the 2000s. He-Man like GI Joe is too big to completely go extinct. He-Man is an "archetype" trope of the savage strong man just like GI Joe is the trope of the toy soldier. Those tropes will always be around. Tropes are instantly recognizable even if you are not familiar with the property. Thus there will always be a certain appeal to people that will transcend the generations. I do think He-Man could make it 100 years because there will always be people who want to consume that trope and be entertained by it.

MOTU fans underestimating the brand, a constant in this forum .

Wait for the new content and we wil see how irrelevant is this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    To be fair I don't think you are really in much of position to complain about there being one or two things in the franchise not aimed at you when everything else in the franchise is still made more less exclusively for you.

It also dosn't help that a lot of your argument seems to boil down to, the younger generation is wrong for liking it.

Trust me it's a scientific fact that autistic people no better about this kind of thing.

Mattel hasn't manufactured anything exclusively for me, more or less, since 1988. Using 200X as an example, it was made for a new generation of young fans but had plenty to offer adult fans of the original series. This CGI Pinhead He-Man offers nothing to me stylistically, and I doubt the younger generation will cotton to it either. If they like it, then awesome; they're not wrong for enjoying what I dislike, and I'm failing to understand why you think my argument boils down to something it doesn't.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

The more I think about the redesign, the more I wonder why they didn't just go with a BA He-Man of SA He-Man base, if they really wanted to cover him up.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Mattel hasn't manufactured anything exclusively for me, more or less, since 1988. Using 200X as an example, it was made for a new generation of young fans but had plenty to offer adult fans of the original series. This CGI Pinhead He-Man offers nothing to me stylistically, and I doubt the younger generation will cotton to it either. If they like it, then awesome; they're not wrong for enjoying what I dislike, and I'm failing to understand why you think my argument boils down to something it doesn't.
    My point is you are saying it's wrong for them to make a version that would prioritise new fans over old fans and making it out like they are abandoning old fans or only giving old fans a small token thing. When that isn't the case.

Those two Netlfix shows are two things, in a sea of content that is otherwise aimed exclusively at the original 80's audience. for nearly 20 years all the comics, toys ect were made for the original fanbase and even now that vast bulk of the stuff produced is still aimed at the original fanbase.

So it's dumb to cry about them "abandoning the old fans" because they frankly aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    The more I think about the redesign, the more I wonder why they didn't just go with a BA He-Man of SA He-Man base, if they really wanted to cover him up.
    I looks to me like they are trying to emulate the costume style of MCU Thor. Trying to look both high tech and like a classical mythological hero at the same time.

I actualy think the outfit itself is pretty good. I'm not crazy about the proportions though.
    Last edited by A Dalek; February 28, 2021 at 05:04pm.

As soon as I saw his new costume, I immediately thought of his recent DC comics look.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    MOTU fans underestimating the brand, a constant in this forum .

Wait for the new content and we wil see how irrelevant is this brand.
    There's this weird sense of self-loathing with some fans it seems. Its almost as if they are afraid that MOTU just might catch on with people other than themselves and like-minded folk. I don't know, maybe they feel it won't be merely "for them" anymore? I'm sure a smarter person than myself could delve into the psychology of it all.
    Last edited by Krueger; February 28, 2021 at 08:16pm.

Just think about all of the different iterations Batman has gone through during his long animated career.... whew!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Definitely excited to see more pics of these figures. Stylised and I like them based on just the one image.

Of course, it's not vintage or Classics, which are the ultimate representations, but pretty cool looking nonetheless.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Just think about all of the different iterations Batman has gone through during his long animated career.... whew!
    It's true. And I doubt there's a Batman fan who LOVES every single iteration of the Bat that's come along through the years. He-Man's turning 40 this year (that is correct, right?), so in four decades of course there's going to be changes and not all of us are going to like every single twist and turn the franchise takes. And that's fine. I can see getting let down and expressing disappointment or "I wish they did this instead...", but at the end of the day it's not the end of the world and you don't have to spend any of your time or money on the new stuff if it's not your cup of tea. This is also what I didn't get about some of the backlash towards Netflix She-Ra. Some people were getting overly upset (or just acting upset to get an audience) who weren't even huge fans of the original to begin with. I always feel that it's as simple as "don't watch it then."
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    He-Man's turning 40 this year (that is correct, right?),
    Next year is the 40th anniversary of MOTU (at least as far as the date the toys were released goes)

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Next year is the 40th anniversary of MOTU (at least as far as the date the toys were released goes)
    Ah, got it!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

RE She-Ra:

There's way too much black and white thinking and not enough consideration for the bigger picture, imo. I'm not an expert, however, from what I understand "success" is going to mean different things to the various companies that are involved and it can take many different forms.

Netflix, for example, isn't constrained to thinking in terms of hits and flops in the same way as traditional network television, because their originals are on their platform for the life of the company and thus there's a continuous opportunity for existing and new subscribers to discover a film or series. Also, in the case of the She-Ra and the Princesses of Power series, it has expanded beyond Netflix outside of the U.S. (Chrgd in Canada, CBBC in the UK, Movistar+ in Spain, etc.), which helps to further build or maintain audience levels.

Something that Netflix executives mention from time to time, is that viewership isn't their sole metric for determining what is successful for them as a company. Collectively and separately, they consider things like awards, nominations, representation, social media engagement etc. and ask questions such as "Did this series or film service a specific viewing habit and/or valued audience that we want to grow?

Based on the evidence available to us, I feel that She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is at least an "internet hit", if that makes sense. While none of us have the viewership numbers for the series in front of us, it's obvious that SATPOP excels in areas like social media engagement, nominations, representation, fan art, unlicensed merchandise, twitter trends etc. when comparing the series to many other Netflix originals for kids. This is something that is measurable and valuable.

Also, there seems to be a misconception among some folks that a series or film is a flop if it doesn't make a Top 10 chart, that anything below a Top 10 is a disastrous failure, when in reality there are different levels of success and failure.

Having said that, the SATPOP series actually did surge to #10 (from #28 the previous week) on Parrot Analytics Digital Originals chart after the season 5 drop. Parrot Analytics measures everything from "likes" and blog posts to illegal downloads. This surge was experienced on the TV Time website/tracking application as well. SATPOP made it to #3 on their "Shows On The Rise" chart, which measures the week-over-week growth on their platform. We could also see this play out in real time with the Mattel She-Ra dolls, shield/sword and costume sets from Just Play, and Super7 She-Ra & Catra figures on the secondary market...all of them selling for significantly more than the original price. (In some cases hundreds of dollars) To this day, all of those things continue to sell for more than the original price.

I dunno. I feel like She-Ra was a good investment. A Dalek is right in that most of the online Netflix She-Ra audience is indifferent to everything that came before. However, I do often see millennials and Gen Z trying to do research and educate their peers, as well as purchasing nostalgia-based things. Many of them now know about He-Man, too. I think Revelation and the CGI series will, at the least, get a lot of initial curiosity views and discussion from a chunk of the Netflix She-Ra audience, potentially helping to get those shows into the Netflix Top 10. (More visibility)

parrotanalytics.jpg

tvtime1.jpg

tvtime2.jpg
    Last edited by Tallstar; March 1, 2021 at 02:39pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Tallstar only some fans from this forum can dare to claim Netflix She-Ra was a faillure.It's easy to talk about money from other people,the new She-ra show had good numbers, absolutely valuable numbers.

It's easy to realize the show has gotten an impact.
    There's a solid fandom created by the show , millions of messages were posted on social network since the premiere ,over 500.000 just in Instagram ( I do know that), millions of views from youtube videos.
    several times getting trending topic with thousands and thousands of tweets and the number of fan-arts and cosplays i've seen are uncontables.

About Netflix top ten ,there are two world: the live action stuff and the animation stuff.
    Numbers from animation aren't so huge as live action , especially 2d animation,just a few animated shows have gotten the Netflix top ten but that doesn't mean that shows can't get into the top ten are a faillure.
    I think Netflix should create a top ten animation or children stuff apart from the overal top ten.

By last , I do believe Revelation will be that kind of animated show that will transcend the animation level and will go into the top ten .
    And I go further ,it's gonna be one of the most succesful animated show from streaming service.

How did Castlevania and Blood of Zeus perform? That may give us a clue.

Probably Castlevania is the most succesful 2d animated show from Netflix and Zeus got the top 10 .

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Castlevania was a runaway hit for Netflix.

The first three seasons combined scored a 93% fresh rating on RT and it has been listed as the single best animated adaptation of a video game - ever.

And, the third season of Castlevania made it into Netflix's top 10 across 40 different countries.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Both were major hits. Castlevania's was among the highest rated shows for its debut week. Heck, its biggest problem is something irrelevant to its actual performance (its head writer was outed as a sex pest who traded sex for job recommendations) yet people want to continue the show without him, and Blood of Zeus, despite my initial misgivings, was in the Netflix Top 10 and specifically cited as a major hit for Netflix in 2020, prompting a second season order.

It's not every animated show that's a huge hit for Netflix, but a surprising amount of them are since they're all in the same place as the other shows. When you see some of the more popular animated Netflix shows, things that are competitive in the Top 10 with the big movies and limited series', are things like Baki, Seven Deadly Sins, and Demon Slayer (that last one isn't a Netflix original, but still), as well as Powerhouse output like Blood of Zeus, it seems that if you make MOTU Revelation like that, it will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    Both were major hits. Castlevania's was among the highest rated shows for its debut week. Heck, its biggest problem is something irrelevant to its actual performance (its head writer was outed as a sex pest who traded sex for job recommendations) yet people want to continue the show without him, and Blood of Zeus, despite my initial misgivings, was in the Netflix Top 10 and specifically cited as a major hit for Netflix in 2020, prompting a second season order.

It's not every animated show that's a huge hit for Netflix, but a surprising amount of them are since they're all in the same place as the other shows. When you see some of the more popular animated Netflix shows, things that are competitive in the Top 10 with the big movies and limited series', are things like Baki, Seven Deadly Sins, and Demon Slayer (that last one isn't a Netflix original, but still), as well as Powerhouse output like Blood of Zeus, it seems that if you make MOTU Revelation like that, it will do well.
    Wasn't Demon Slayer already the hottest anime going prior to it coming to Netflix?

Revelation already has the hype factor in its favour, and as it gets closer to release that will only get louder. So it seems it has quite a bit going for it. As for the CG series, I know Trollhunters did well, but I'm not sure about 3Below and Wizards, as they both had quite short runs.

Court Magician
    Wasn't Demon Slayer already the hottest anime going prior to it coming to Netflix?
    The movie was for Japan (although one could argue it was because of a distinct lack of competition in the theatres) but the series aired on the American Toonami block to mediocre ratings because no one watches that block anymore. It airs on Netflix, huge boom in viewership. Which is fine, it just means that's the kind of show that will bring in an audience on the right platform, a lot of action, likable leads, good animation, etc.

Simply put I think the gulf between the MOTU reboot and MOTU Revelation to Demon Slayer is much smaller than the one between SPOP and any of the animation that actually did well for Netflix.
    Last edited by Dynaman; March 2, 2021 at 12:40pm.

From the analyst meeting:

Also, a slightly higher definition image:

The movie was for Japan (although one could argue it was because of a distinct lack of competition in the theatres) but the series aired on the American Toonami block to mediocre ratings because no one watches that block anymore. It airs on Netflix, huge boom in viewership. Which is fine, it just means that's the kind of show that will bring in an audience on the right platform, a lot of action, likable leads, good animation, etc.

Simply put I think the gulf between the MOTU reboot and MOTU Revelation to Demon Slayer is much smaller than the one between SPOP and any of the animation that actually did well for Netflix.
    I was under the impression that Demon Slayer was hitting My Hero Academia levels of popularity.

Court Magician
    I was under the impression that Demon Slayer was hitting My Hero Academia levels of popularity.
    It is now, with the movie hype and the more ubiquitous airings propelling manga sales, merch sales, and etc.

It's just gotta be on the right platform (Hulu for MHA, Netflix and Hulu for Demon Slayer). And now that it is, people are watching, ratings are up, and everyone's happy. I'm just saying that the degrees of separation between MOTU Revelation and Demon Slayer isn't this insurmountable gulf the way it was between SPOP and the Netflix animation that did well.

It is now, with the movie hype and the more ubiquitous airings propelling manga sales, merch sales, and etc.

It's just gotta be on the right platform (Hulu for MHA, Netflix and Hulu for Demon Slayer). And now that it is, people are watching, ratings are up, and everyone's happy. I'm just saying that the degrees of separation between MOTU Revelation and Demon Slayer isn't this insurmountable gulf the way it was between SPOP and the Netflix animation that did well.
    I think it's quite a stretch to say that Revelations will be as big as arguably the biggest anime in the world today.