Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Female Die Hard reboot! oh COME ON!

Female Die Hard reboot! oh COME ON!

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/ch...Vn1DQJPh2nv74c

More woke social justice warrior pandering nonsense moneygrab to an established franchise! didn't we learn our lessons from Ghostbusters 2016 and Ocean's 8? those underperformed at the box office even Terminator 6 and Charlie's Angels manbashing reboot BOMBED. This Die Hard reboot is gonna fail big time.
    Just do a different movie with different characters and don't call it "Die Hard" as it's just lazy brand name recognition stealing to cash-in on a past success. Just do it as Atomic Blonde 2 as at least Atomic blonde is it's own thing and own franchise. But no, you just want to harp out a dead popular franchise for agenda nonsense rather than characters and stories.

I'm tired of old brand name movies/film franchises brought back like Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Bill and Ted etc. for agenda rather than character and story to turn a franchise into a joke. That's what kills an established beloved franchise.

This is gonna bomb big time as audiences are tired of woke/Social justice warrior agenda that is piggybacking on established franchises and just want entertainment to be entertainment. Make your own damn franchise and different movie instead of piggybacking on a classic! this franchise needs to stay dead. After the last movie, i don't want anymore Die Hard movies. I'm satisfied with the trilogy and liked part 4 but should had stopped after 4. This is just a lazy gimmick for a brand name franchise.

At least after Die Hard there has been similar movies like Speed, Cliffhanger, Under Siege, Air Force One etc. and i think they are enjoyable movies in their own right and had their own characters and their own identity. Who gives a damn if your straight, white, black, Asian, latino, LGBT etc. as it should not be about agenda but quality characters/entertainment/story. For example, Rocketman is my favorite movie of 2019 and it's an GLBT movie that any orientation even straight guys like myself can enjoy because it wasn't political pandering nonsense, it was ENTERTAINMENT as it had great pacing, a story, characters, outstanding visuals and terrific performances and pure entertainment.

This is gonna be the franchise's New Coke (remember that?) as a soulless cash-grab where classic always sells like Coca-Cola classic. Let this idea die hard even this franchise stay dead. Come up with new franchises and new movies even similar movies to Die Hard but not use the name. Let this franchise die with some dignity and have the original trilogy enjoyed for years to come.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    I rolled my eyes so hard when I read this. It’s just pointless. Like I’m all for strong female leads in movies without jumping on franchises to try and cash in. What next lethal weapon with martina Riggs? Jackie voorhees and fredricka Krueger? Just write new material, people are less likely to roll their eyes.

I agree Dan, this is halfassing established popular movie franchises.

I'm all for quality cinematic female heroes like Taarna from Heavy Metal, Ellen Ripley in Alien/Aliens, Princess Leia in the original trilogy, Ann Lewis in Robocop 1 and 2, Angel from Rock and Rule, Nausicaa from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind aka Warriors of the Wind, Sarah Conner in Terminator 1 and 2, Bride from Kill Bill etc. are better cinematic heroines than the Woke Social justice warrior pandering made crappy cash-in attempt at film heroines today like in Ghostbusters 2016 for examples.

Wanna know why these older heroines on film were actually good? because they actually had charisma, personality and spoke with action not words. The men who made these characters were not moronic woke hipsters who don't know anything about what makes actual good strong female heroines on film and had standards, even the writers of those movies knew what they were doing in actually equality of men and women heroines like Den and Taarna being equal heroes in one movie of Heavy metal even T800/Sarah Conner in Terminator 2 showing true equal heroes and actual equality. Even Tarantino, Cameron, Miyazaki, and more knew what makes an actual good heroine. A) likability, B)charisma and c) speaking with action louder than words and d)characters you actually care about even go with the flow with them. They were not identity politics or agenda.

Actual feminist characters who became icons and they didn't become forced and halfassed as they weren't done for brownie points or to be woke/social justice warrior agenda garbage and actually appeal to both sexes of folks who know the difference between good well done heroines and forced Social justice warrior/woke badly done nonsense. The writers of the movies i mentioned didn't go for male bashing ("we are better than men") nonsense like in some of some of today's halfassed attempts at cinematic female heroines.

Take Taarna for example, she's more than just an animated sex symbol who makes men and boys go nuts for her, she's also a positive role model among women and girls who watched the film for she was a warrior who spoke with action than words. Sure she got hurt but every good character has to have weaknesses but she did managed to take care of bad guys plus she sacrificed herself to save the world/universe from evil and was no mary sue like Rey in the new Star Wars movies for example. Taarna and the other heroines i mentioned before today's actually appealed to both sexes that both genders can see as actual badasses. Some of today's movie writers today can learn alot from the past movies even this on how to do an actual good well done movie heroine.

Because they weren’t forced! Situation dictated they become heros! No ridiculous we are all equal physically and woman can pummel men if they really believe in themselves! lol the laws of physics work on everyone! If it serves the narrative and the story great, if it’s forced ( Ghostbusters 2016 cough cough!) it’s ridiculous! The reason these older films and their female heroes still resonate is that the filmmakers at the time were just trying to make the best movies that they could. Thus those films and characters tend to be /timeless/ in their way. To gender swap a beloved action hero icon character like John Mcclane is as bad as gender swapping a beloved sci-fi heroine character like Ellen Ripley to become a man in a remake of Alien where Ripley is a male named Rip. They tried that in the terrible Robocop remake where a great likable quality heroine like Ann Lewis to a man named Lewis.

By contrast, many - but not all - modern filmmakers are trying to be /timely/ by checking off a bunch of woke, diversity marketing boxes in an attempt pander to the current hipster crowd - most of whom don’t care anyway. Woke always fails and creates diminishing returns.

The implication of this is that these current pander-cinema films will just age badly in the years to come. Fortunately all of the woke garbage will eventually rot away into obscurity. We will get good stories again some day... despite there is some exceptions to the rule on good storytelling in the last decade if not all, Hollywood is in the crapper right now so here's hoping that all of the wokeness is circling the drain along with the rest of the talentless hacks that write it.

Heroic Warrior
    I think what helped in the past is great story telling and writing which wasn’t reliant on special effects. Now films have mega budgets and access to special effects that weren’t available years ago. Horror films have always more or less featured strong female leads like Laurie strode etc. My sister is a staunch feminist and even she is fed up of film shoehorning in diverse characters for no reason other than to tick boxes. I watched the new wrong turn movie (which was awful, I do not recommend) which featured the most diverse group of protagonists for no other reason than to have them there. Not every movie needs to feature a list of tick boxes to appeal to the masses and what it tends to do is add the lack lustre performance at the box office. I’m sure many people will be on the side of “wokeness” but if they want to see a strong female lead then get writers to write original movies rather than jumping on established franchises.

The last relevant Die Hard movie was 3.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    The last relevant Die Hard movie was 3.
    Am I the only one who has always thought 3 was far superior to 2?

Haven't watched 2 and 3 in many years, though. Still watch the first often.

Heroic Warrior
    I’d rate the movie from die hard, die hard 3, die hard 2 and then begrudgingly 5 then 4

I rank the Die Hard movies in order 1, 2 3. All three are great movies.
    4 was awful.
    5 was even worse...I haven't even watched 5 fully it was so bad.

I'm not against it, after the latest versions were so dismal. I loved the first and third movies, and need to see the second again t judge it fairly.

Now, MOD NOTE:
    Let's be sure to steer away from Tar Swamp material. No politics or other such touchy talk; we've been down this path too many times before for the same people to walk right into the same troubles. Consider yourselves warned.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Am I the only one who has always thought 3 was far superior to 2?

Haven't watched 2 and 3 in many years, though. Still watch the first often.
    You're not the only one. 2 was a major let down from the first, and not very memorable. 3 was far better.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I'm not averse to the movie, but I'm also relatively indifferent to the franchise. Personally, I'd love it if somehow she could focus on an Atomic Blonde follow-up

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I'm not against it
    Are you against any series/movie NOT getting an all-female reboot?

I say let them go for it. Either it will be a good movie (possibly even great) or it won't. If it's bad it will be bad for not really being it's own thing and will be seen as another "Jane instead of Jack" failure.

I certainly don't think movies with female leads are a bad thing. I do think a movie that just switches out roles for the sake of gender are destined to do poorly.

Does anyone think remaking Kill Bill with a male lead would be much good? How about Underworld without Kate Beckinsale?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Does anyone think remaking Kill Bill with a male lead would be much good? How about Underworld without Kate Beckinsale?
    I feel confident there would be a Twitter uprising over it. And going by the firing of Gina Carano (and possibly future Star Wars employees), the mob movement works.

Now where's the Thelma and Louise remake with men?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I rank the Die Hard movies in order 1, 2 3. All three are great movies.
    4 was awful.
    5 was even worse...I haven't even watched 5 fully it was so bad.
    Agreed,

I saw Die Hard 4 in theaters and it was really bad as PG-13, the Rated R version that came out direct to DVD was more tolerable.
    The "You're that guy" and the fact that McClane getting shot at didn't phase him anymore because it has happened so much was really lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    Agreed,

I saw Die Hard 4 in theaters and it was really bad as PG-13, the Rated R version that came out direct to DVD was more tolerable.
    The "You're that guy" and the fact that McClane getting shot at didn't phase him anymore because it has happened so much was really lame.
    I only seen the R Rates version. Around the same time Willis acted in a movie called Hostage which was a far better movie.
    Around the time of making Die Hard 4 it seems like every role he had in a movie was a generic John Mclane character. That's a real shame because of all the 80s and 90s action movie stars Willis had the most eclectic collection of roles in different genres compared to his other action contemporaries.

Some people block themselves into situations that seem to prove their point when they disregard the important factors.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I say let them go for it. Either it will be a good movie (possibly even great) or it won't. If it's bad it will be bad for not really being it's own thing and will be seen as another "Jane instead of Jack" failure.

I certainly don't think movies with female leads are a bad thing. I do think a movie that just switches out roles for the sake of gender are destined to do poorly.

They did it before in that terrible Robocop remake from 2014 of changing a beloved great heroine like Officer Ann Lewis to a male named Lewis and never worked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    You're not the only one. 2 was a major let down from the first, and not very memorable. 3 was far better.
    Not very memorable and let down? i disagree on part 2 as Renny Harlin is one of the best action directors and is a very well paced sequel and like the airport idea. It had memorable moments like the icicle to the eye to the jetpack scene and the blowing up of the plane, there's memorability to you.

3 was excellent indeed.

The solution to this is simple.
    Don't be like the Star Wars guys who complained about the travesty that was the Last Jedi, but then went and bought it on blu-ray and still saw The Rise of Skywalker in the theaters. Just don't do it.

Don't spend money on this trash. At all. Not a dime. For those of you that do and generate an excuse I would say that you need to outgrow your pathetic addictions.

Quote Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
    The solution to this is simple.
    Don't be like the Star Wars guys who complained about the travesty that was the Last Jedi, but then went and bought it on blu-ray and still saw The Rise of Skywalker in the theaters. Just don't do it.

Don't spend money on this trash. At all. Not a dime. For those of you that do and generate an excuse I would say that you need to outgrow your pathetic addictions.
    Woke does not sell at all! it's like the new version of New Coke (remember that?), major failures and it's box office poison to franchises. Perhaps when it bombs, it can be the final nail in the coffin to woking franchises as it always fails in pandering for identity politics than actual storytelling and characters and always just for agenda. And social justice warrior culture and woke culture is dying out as it fails always on franchises.

Blade Runner 2049 and Dark Crystal Age of Resistance are the only movie revivals done right lately unlike lazy crappy halfassed soulless passionless moneygrabs like Ghostbusters 2016, Robocop 2014, Elm Street 2010, Bill and Ted Face the Music and so on.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; March 2, 2021 at 10:08pm.

You seem to be getting far too worked up over a movie that doesn't exist beyond Charlize Theron saying it's something she'd be into doing.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Well, it's about representation. When there are an equal number of female-led action movies to male-led action movies, then I can see rebooting a Tomb Raider or Underworld with a male lead. Until then, it makes sense to reboot a male-led property with female leads. Representation and equality matters.

That said, I wouldn't watch it. I only liked Die Hard one and two. The rest are a waste of celluloid and I don't need anymore. Also, every time a reboot happened with a change in gender it didn't always work out. I liked Ocean's 8 a lot, but the female Ghostbusters was trash. I am not 100% against reboots, since sometimes we get awesome stuff like The Fly (Jeff Goldblum) and The Fugitive (Harrison Ford). But usually, they are another Total Recall or Robocop trash heap.

I actually fear a Back to the Future reboot. It's not a matter of if, but when.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Well, it's about representation. When there are an equal number of female-led action movies to male-led action movies, then I can see rebooting a Tomb Raider or Underworld with a male lead. Until then, it makes sense to reboot a male-led property with female leads. Representation and equality matters.
    If there were an equal number of male and female led action movies, then this wouldn't be an accurate representation of society. There are way less female police officers, soldiers, fire fighters, etc. Women are way less likely to work dangerous jobs. In 2019 there were 4,896 men who died at work in the US as opposed to just 437 women.

That said, I really don't care what Hollywood does anymore. Hollywood is garbage. Every now and then, a rare gem is made. But for the most part, I expect to hate what they produce. But hey, there are plenty of good older movies to keep me entertained.
    Last edited by FAKER II; March 3, 2021 at 10:21am.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Representation for representation's sake without story, characters and overall production talent becomes (or comes across as) vapid, preachy virtue signaling or (unintentional or not) outright cringe, the same way mega-corporations give social life advice as they simultaneously employ sweatshop workers or work with governments that oppress their people in "reeducation camps."