Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Female Die Hard reboot! oh COME ON!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yes, it is much better. Die Hard 2 is a rehash like Home Alone 2 is to its original. Vengence was originally supposed to be a movie called Simon Says, but they ended up adding John McClane to it.
    I always find it fascinating how certain movies morph from one vision to another - like how Cyborg with JCVD came out of work done for a MOTU sequel and a Spider-Man film

I don't think remakes, reboots or sequels are lazy. I remember one of my university courses was Fictions & Transformations, the art of taking an established form of literature, adding or tweaking something even just a little, and transforming it into something new.

Disney's Twisted Tales and Disney Villains books do the same thing and they are awesome.

It happens in music too, I love original music but I also love the art of reinterpretation regarding covers, like Susanna Hoffs & Matthew Sweet's Under The Covers albums of 60's, 70's and 80's music, Bette Midler's Rosemary Clooney and Peggy Lee cover albums, or Suzy Bogguss' and Gretchen Peters' tribute albums to Merle Haggard and Mickey Newbury respectively. Even Petra Haden completely remade an album by The Who.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    No she is just an ally, so technically sheís not allowed to play an lgbt character, saying no more for fear of wading into the tar
    Cheers, I would have expected that to be more of an issue than hereís a female version of die hard but like you say thatís veering into the tar swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Cheers, I would have expected that to be more of an issue than here’s a female version of die hard but like you say that’s veering into the tar swamp.
    I don't think it would matter what female actress or male actor would be in the reboot, the general opinion would be the same, just another pointless lazy remake.
    If they want to make an awesome movie they should just do it and give it an original title instead of giving it the name of an established franchise and calling it a reboot or a remake.

I'm not opposed if a creator has a compelling reason to do a reboot/sequel/remake, but if it's just a gimmick, then that isn't enough to sustain a project.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

No she is just an ally, so technically she’s not allowed to play an lgbt character, saying no more for fear of wading into the tar
    As a gay man who likes the movies he's seen Charlize in, I officially give her my people's blessing
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    As a gay man who likes the movies he's seen Charlize in, I officially give her my people's blessing
    Charlize was good as the voice of Morticia in the animated Addams Family movie (and will be so again in its forthcoming sequel), but the main draw for me is the delightful Bette Midler (another great LGBTQ ally) as Grandmama!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

honest question,

how does this hurt you who don't want to see it in any way?
    I'm not a fanof die hard, though i liked pt 3, in fact i have only seen 3, 4 and 5.

the general consensus is after pt 3 they suck. so what's the difference in making this and making another crappy sequel with willis?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    When you like a franchise, you tend to watch the sequels on the hope they will be better than their previous installment. Iím a huge horror fan and watched all the Elm Street and Friday 13th movies even though they were hit and miss. Itís similar to watching a tv show, some episodes are better than others but you donít stop watching for one or two bad episodes.
    The problem people have with this is that yes the die hard franchise has probably seen itís day and this rumoured reboot is just another gender swap project. Iím all for watching Charlize Theron foiling a terrorist attack on her own against the odds but it doesnít mean it needs to be called Die Hard. Iíd have similar feelings if they said we are going reboot alien with ripley being a man.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    honest question,

how does this hurt you who don't want to see it in any way?
    I'm not a fanof die hard, though i liked pt 3, in fact i have only seen 3, 4 and 5.

the general consensus is after pt 3 they suck. so what's the difference in making this and making another crappy sequel with willis?
    It has been explained in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I often wonder had certain folks had the mindset back then as children that they do as adults today, if when She-Ra was released in 1985 if folks would have been all kicking their mom and dad screaming "what is this pandering nonsense! this is too woke! this is ruining my childhood! no originality! what is this social justice garbage?! agenda, agenda, agenda! etc! etc!"
    The thought makes me laugh
    I don't see why there would have been a commotion. They didn't change He-Man. They created a new character. Creating new characters is all anyone is asking them to do. It's taking established characters and changing them into something different that gets people miffed.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I don't see why there would have been a commotion. They didn't change He-Man. They created a new character. Creating new characters is all anyone is asking them to do. It's taking established characters and changing them into something different that gets people miffed.
    so you think Charlize is going to play John McClain or Joanna mclain ..
    FREAK OUT!!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!! YEAHHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    People would just prefer it not to be called Die Hard or be associated with the Die Hard franchise.

As bad as Ghostbusters 2016 was, and it was an abomination, their wouldn't have been as much hate aimed at a bad movie about four weapons catching ghosts if it hadn't been called Ghostbusters and been a "reboot" of such an iconic movie.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    This thread makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

rumoured reboot is just another gender swap project.
    Again, for the 876th time, this isn't a rumored reboot. This is a fan tweet. There is no movie, and "reboot" was never even said or implied in the tweet.

Iím all for watching Charlize Theron foiling a terrorist attack on her own against the odds but it doesnít mean it needs to be called Die Hard. Iíd have similar feelings if they said we are going reboot alien with ripley being a man.
    If you had a choice between a universally-agreed-to-be-terrible Bruce Willis Die Hard movie or a Charlize Theron led Die Hard movie, that had good story, acting, direction, cinematography, etc, which would you choose to watch?

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    (This isn't necessarily directed at you Faker II; your post just provides a good lead in)

I've essentially asked these questions already, but I honestly believe it would put this whole thread to bed if they were just answered by the folks who are complaining about this:

Does a Die Hard movie have to be centered on John McClane? Yes or no.

If the answer is no, there is no reason why a DIFFERENT, FEMALE CHARACTER couldn't take the mantle. (Well, there is exactly ONE reason.....)

If yes, do you want Bruce Willis to play the role until he dies at which point Die Hard movies end forever, or do you want the role recast at some point?

If your answer is the latter, then the hair-on-fire reboot outrage is disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Well, it's about representation. When there are an equal number of female-led action movies to male-led action movies, then I can see rebooting a Tomb Raider or Underworld with a male lead. Until then, it makes sense to reboot a male-led property with female leads. Representation and equality matters.

That said, I wouldn't watch it. I only liked Die Hard one and two. The rest are a waste of celluloid and I don't need anymore. Also, every time a reboot happened with a change in gender it didn't always work out. I liked Ocean's 8 a lot, but the female Ghostbusters was trash. I am not 100% against reboots, since sometimes we get awesome stuff like The Fly (Jeff Goldblum) and The Fugitive (Harrison Ford). But usually, they are another Total Recall or Robocop trash heap.

I actually fear a Back to the Future reboot. It's not a matter of if, but when.
    The Fly is a remake, not a reboot! two different things, The Fly is the same story as the original! even Robocop is a remake as that's the same story as the original. True reboots is Batman Begins, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, SpiderMan homecoming, Man of Steel.

- - - Updated - - -

Die Hard 2 a rehash? i don't see it that way in my eyes! it's set in a different location being an airport, it has different villains who are actually terrorists while the first has robbers, it's not set in a building, it does some different stuff and Renny Harlin pulled off some awesome stuntwork.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    This thread makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Again, for the 876th time, this isn't a rumored reboot. This is a fan tweet. There is no movie, and "reboot" was never even said or implied in the tweet.

If you had a choice between a universally-agreed-to-be-terrible Bruce Willis Die Hard movie or a Charlize Theron led Die Hard movie, that had good story, acting, direction, cinematography, etc, which would you choose to watch?

(This isn't necessarily directed at you Faker II; your post just provides a good lead in)

I've essentially asked these questions already, but I honestly believe it would put this whole thread to bed if they were just answered by the folks who are complaining about this:

Does a Die Hard movie have to be centered on John McClane? Yes or no.

If the answer is no, there is no reason why a DIFFERENT, FEMALE CHARACTER couldn't take the mantle. (Well, there is exactly ONE reason.....)

If yes, do you want Bruce Willis to play the role until he dies at which point Die Hard movies end forever, or do you want the role recast at some point?

If your answer is the latter, then the hair-on-fire reboot outrage is disingenuous.

The point is, this is just stealing names from beloved franchises as it's lazy and uninspired.

I was saying, why not make a movie similar to Die Hard that has it's own identity and do a take on it, not use the Die Hard brand name. Movies like Cliffhanger, Air Force One and others are similar to Die Hard but didn't use to DH brand name.

And recasting John Mcclane? HELL NO! i do not see anyone else as John than Bruce, recasting would ask for failure. It's just like Michael J Fox IS marty Mcfly, Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones/Han Solo, Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger and some other pure cinematic icons.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    I have no idea what to think about what might happen with a new Die Hard movie. I was responding to zodak74's comment involving a hypothetical situation regarding She-Ra in the 80's.

Heroic Warrior
    If you had a choice between a universally-agreed-to-be-terrible Bruce Willis Die Hard movie or a Charlize Theron led Die Hard movie, that had good story, acting, direction, cinematography, etc, which would you choose to watch?.
    If Iím honest Iíd watch both. Iím not bothered if they want a charlize Theron lead die hard movie, I just think itís tagging on to peopleís love of die hard. John McClain is the hero of die hard. The same as ripley is the heroine of the alien movies, Stallone is hero of the Rambo movies, Michael Myers is the villain of the Halloween movies. Iíd be just as wary of a nightmare of elm street sequel with a new villain instead of Freddy.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    John McClain is the hero of die hard. The same as ripley is the heroine of the alien movies, Stallone is hero of the Rambo movies, Michael Myers is the villain of the Halloween movies. I’d be just as wary of a nightmare of elm street sequel with a new villain instead of Freddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And recasting John Mcclane? HELL NO! i do not see anyone else as John than Bruce, recasting would ask for failure. It's just like Michael J Fox IS marty Mcfly, Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones/Han Solo, Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger and some other pure cinematic icons.
    Excellent! This is a perfectly reasonable and valid position to take.

Now that we all have that established, we can agree that all the talk of sex and sexuality was completely unnecessary as it had nothing to do with the root of the problem.

Excellent! This is a perfectly reasonable and valid position to take.

Now that we all have that established, we can agree that all the talk of sex and sexuality was completely unnecessary as it had nothing to do with the root of the problem.
    Some people are actually defending recasting iconic film characters with different actors. And even more so with the recent release of Solo back in 2018. They actually think that all film characters are fair game for a new actor portraying them.

And it's fine that they feel that way. But I vehemently disagree and I just don't understand. Sure. I do have exceptions, like Bond or characters from novels/books (for example Dracula or Pennywise or Frankenstein with his monster) or comic books or video games even He-Man. But for the most part, I want beloved pure film created characters (as in characters created from original screenplays) to remain pure and untouched by halfassed or horrible attempts to recapture lightning in a bottle.

Some roles have actors that were born to play them and there really are no substitutes. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones and Han Solo, Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley, Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner, Slyvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa, Peter Weller as RoboCop, Bill Murray as Peter Venkman, Bruce Willis as John Mcclane, Harold Ramis as Egon Spengler, Macaully Culkin as Kevin Mccallister, Dan Ackroyd as Ray Stantz, Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddimore, Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly, Mel Gibson as Riggs, Danny Glover as Muraugh, and Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger are all examples of this. And any actor that will attempt to play the character will pale in comparison. They have the charisma and personality that is unique only to them and that is what makes these characters so iconic and what brought them to life.

And don't give me the "They will make it their own" response. Make it their own means they will take the character and make it something completely alien to the character we all know and love in order to separate it from the original, potentially swap the genders, or just half-heartedly attempt to capture the same magic.

I have never seen a single remake or reboot or sequel with an iconic character or film have a lead that is anywhere near as memorable or as effective as the original for these same reasons. The track record is abysmal and that is why I don't agree with the idea of every character in every film is fair game for a re-imagining.

Look at what happened after Robocop 2! there has been actors like Robert Burke for Robocop 3, Page Fletcher for Robocop prime directives and Joel Kinnerman in Robocop remake (aka Robocrap), they were terrible could had hold a candle to Peter Weller and his emotional impactful performances as Robocop/Alex Murphy in Robocop 1 and 2, although Richard Eden in the TV show was the closet thing to be near Weller but still can't beat Peter Weller. Look at Home Alone 4 and 5, they tried to bring back the character of Kevin with new kid actors and they were terrible. They lacked the spunk/charisma/gravtias/talent of Macually Culkin as Culkin really embodied the character of Kevin. Look at Solo! Alan Ehenreich, bah! can't fit in Ford's shoes. Also see the Elm Street remake from 2010! I think Jackie Earl Haley is a great actor even as Rorschach but his Freddy was pathetic as he looked like a fish! had no personality, no charisma, no gravtias and no soul plus has a laughable accent that is southern hick mixed with Rorschach! can't do it! Robert Englund IS the one and only Freddy, this proves it. And see the Lethal Weapon Fox show which i have no desire to see! What in gods name is this? This is Lethal Weapon in name only...I like Damon Wayans...but that doesn't mean I am looking forward to watching another in name only cash grab. If this was called something else? Like Partners? I would be more forgiving...But Lethal Weapon? No fricking way. These two are not Riggs and Murtagh and don't even try to make me believe they are. They aren't. If it they aren't played by Mel and Danny? It's not Riggs and Murtagh. And that's the way it is.

They are complete failures in recasting. I don't care what anyone says. There's only one actor that should ever wear the fedora and wield the whip. It's Harrison Ford. Not Chris Pratt, Not Tom Hardy, Not the guy from Solo, not a single soul. Harrison made Indy what he is. Unlike other examples people try to bring up to show that another actor could carry the mantle or the role, Indiana Jones is a character whose success is tied directly with Harrison's DNA. It's on the same level as those other pure cinematic icon characters who were created from original screenplays. These are all characters that would not succeed on the same levels without the involvement of the actors who first portrayed them. So out of respect to these iconic characters and the actors that played them so brilliantly, let them retire when the actors retire the roles. Because anyone else that follows after will always pale in comparison. We saw this in action already with Solo. Indiana Jones is not the same as Bond or the endless stream of comic book films or novel movies or video game movies. Those characters existed in print even pixels especially He-Man existed as a toy and were alive before their actors played them on screen. Indy was just a character on the page until Harrison breathed life into him. Harrison is Indy's soul.

The rare times I have seen a remake or a reboot be successful is when the character was not played by an actor that was irreplaceable or the film featured different characters altogether. And I honestly prefer the second approach. In the classic remakes The Fly and The Blob, they all have one thing in common. They don't have the same characters as the originals. They have their own. And because of this their films stand on their own two feet and have created new characters that audiences loved and still remember fondly to this day.

What's the better option, continue to dig up popular pure cinematic created iconic characters out of the grave every ten or twenty years and try to do the impossible and find the perfect actor to play the role again, or stop doing that and put that effort into finding new characters for a new generation like John Wick for example, a fresh new icon.

There need to be limits. Otherwise, you get some model guy as Han Solo, A wannabee John Cena as RoboCop, and a Kentucky fried Freddy who sounds like Slingblade. I would rather these iconic characters be retired on film and only brought back in books, comics, animated series and video games then see lazy attempts by Hollywood to bring them back with new faces in "new" films just to piggyback off the success of the previous franchise. But retire the roles when the actors retire. Because it just isn't worth the risk and the high probability of hurting the franchise or the character's integrity just for the sake of more films that will absolutely have diminishing returns. But after the final Indiana Jones movie, just do a spin-off starring ShortRound as an adult in his own adventures.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; March 6, 2021 at 08:26am.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

The only recastings that I can think of that actually worked were Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan Kenobi, Josh Brolin as Agent K, and Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. And those only worked because they are good actors and played those characters at a younger stage in their lives, making it believable that there could be differences in personality due to age.