Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: MOTU Origins Packaging Predictions

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior Khev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Don't forget Man-at-Arm's mustache.
    Orko being inspired more by his cartoon look than the vintage toy as well.

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    Orko being inspired more by his cartoon look than the vintage toy as well.
    Orko himself is a creation of the Cartoon, Mattel made the toy after the fact.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior Khev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Orko himself is a creation of the Cartoon, Mattel made the toy after the fact.
    Yes I am aware. But regardless of Orko's first appearance his cartoon look is quite different than his vintage toy look and for Origins Mattel went with cartoon. The point being he's just another example of them not exclusively being slaves to the vintage toy look above all else.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Roton and Faker with pink armor are shown on Ram Man's card, I believe
    Faker is definitely a figure which should have a deluxe offering IMO.

    Not only is there the pink/magenta armor issue, there is the Skeletor battle armor, the battle damage head, Leo Faker eyes, and ...

    For so many years I have dreamed of seeing a Faker with orange He-man armor, perfecting the disguise.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

    Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

  5. #30
    He-Man historian
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Hämeenlinna, Finland
    Posts
    14,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy Skeletor View Post
    Anybody else noticed Hordak/Prime above Team Keldor?
    It's Hordak.

    Not Prime.

    Axel did the homage to Bruce Timm art.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

    · ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    ****ING finally found it! Origins Battel Cat!

    Forum member facet posted it here



    - - - Updated - - -

    Some of you might want to check this out...

    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...cussion-thread
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

  7. #32
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    So do I!!!!
    Throw me in as someone who would prefer this version too!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    ****ING finally found it! Origins Battel Cat!

    Forum member facet posted it here

    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...6&d=1611000283

    - - - Updated - - -

    Some of you might want to check this out...

    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...cussion-thread
    I'm a bit confused by the Fuerza-T villains appearing on Battle Cat's box art in the background - is Mattel legitimizing a well-known unofficial MOTU knock-off line? Seems like a strange decision to me.

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the Fuerza-T villains appearing on Battle Cat's box art in the background - is Mattel legitimizing a well-known unofficial MOTU knock-off line? Seems like a strange decision to me.
    I mean, why not? Take what they stole from you and make it yours again. There are plenty of fans that like the Fuerza-T stuff, so why not integrate it into MOTU? It get toys on the shelf with out being more of the same thing.

    Or it could just be a Easter egg that the artist snuck in.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    I mean, why not? Take what they stole from you and make it yours again. There are plenty of fans that like the Fuerza-T stuff, so why not integrate it into MOTU? It get toys on the shelf with out being more of the same thing.

    Or it could just be a Easter egg that the artist snuck in.
    Given that Axel created the box art, he'd be the one who could give us more info...

    In either case, it's neat. I wouldn't mind seeing those 8 characters released in Origins at some point. They'd be really easy and cheap repaints for Mattel - the only "new" tooling would be Platino's chin beard!

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake Grove, NY
    Posts
    849
    I would gladly buy the Fuerza-T figures if they end up a thing
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    I would gladly buy the Fuerza-T figures if they end up a thing
    Same. Too bad they are the kind of thing we'd only see at Power Con.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

  13. #38
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    45
    It makes me wonder what kind of input (if any) Mattel has when characters are selected for the boxes. Since we've seen fuerza-t and unproduced concept characters, can the artist just whoever or whatever he wants on boxart? If he took it in his head to use minicomic/filmation/classics OCs/etc, would he be able to?
    Let's see a Deluxe Dylamug in MOTU Origins!

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylamug View Post
    It makes me wonder what kind of input (if any) Mattel has when characters are selected for the boxes. Since we've seen fuerza-t and unproduced concept characters, can the artist just whoever or whatever he wants on boxart? If he took it in his head to use minicomic/filmation/classics OCs/etc, would he be able to?
    Well yes but also no. There is a process for this and some back and forth between Mattel and artist before the final product.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Well yes but also no. There is a process for this and some back and forth between Mattel and artist before the final product.
    Absolutely. Everything has to be cleared by the legal department before it can enter production.

  16. #41
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Hawke and "Evil/ First Appearance" Stratos (x2) on Strato's card.

    https://i.imgur.com/sIbIdsq.jpg
    That looks more like Delora from the mini comics then Hawke
    siege_of_avion_-_11_full.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    The rhino looking guy name is Custar, He was from some of the original concept art for the figures in the beginning of the line. He made his debut into the lore in the Sword of Gaz Masters Mondays bio. Many other characters can made some appearances from vintage box art and translated into more clearly images, this post details a bunch of them.
    custar.jpg

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Absolutely. Everything has to be cleared by the legal department before it can enter production.
    Yeah but I thing the Fuerza-T guys slipped the notice of who ever approves this artwork. They are super small and basically silhouettes so they could have though they were real MOTU characters that they did not know about or a way to covertly show off the mix and match gimmick or they just did not see them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    That looks more like Delora from the mini comics then Hawke
    siege_of_avion_-_11_full.jpg
    Startos' wife went through a few changes and names, then one time she was his sister. The card art seems to be a combination of the human wife and the bird-woman wife/sister.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Yeah but I thing the Fuerza-T guys slipped the notice of who ever approves this artwork. They are super small and basically silhouettes so they could have though they were real MOTU characters that they did not know about or a way to covertly show off the mix and match gimmick or they just did not see them.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Startos' wife went through a few changes and names, then one time she was his sister. The card art seems to be a combination of the human wife and the bird-woman wife/sister.
    I guess that's possible. You can't expect some random lawyer at Mattel to be familiar with hundreds of MOTU characters. That being said, I doubt very much that there's any subterfuge on Axel's part - that would be bad for business, so he obviously wouldn't draw anything questionable that Mattel wouldn't approve of.

    As for Delora, I like the look they gave her on Origins Stratos cardback art. Makes her look more distinctive, not just a boring female version of Stratos like in Classics...

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    6,718
    I do like the new Delora design, so would like her released as an action figure. Also give me a Custar! A really cool design.
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I guess that's possible. You can't expect some random lawyer at Mattel to be familiar with hundreds of MOTU characters. That being said, I doubt very much that there's any subterfuge on Axel's part - that would be bad for business, so he obviously wouldn't draw anything questionable that Mattel wouldn't approve of.

    As for Delora, I like the look they gave her on Origins Stratos cardback art. Makes her look more distinctive, not just a boring female version of Stratos like in Classics...
    I would not say Alex snuck them in with some sort of ill intent, just put them in as a little Easter egg for us to find.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I guess that's possible. You can't expect some random lawyer at Mattel to be familiar with hundreds of MOTU characters. That being said, I doubt very much that there's any subterfuge on Axel's part - that would be bad for business, so he obviously wouldn't draw anything questionable that Mattel wouldn't approve of.

    As for Delora, I like the look they gave her on Origins Stratos cardback art. Makes her look more distinctive, not just a boring female version of Stratos like in Classics...

    From a legal standpoint, Mattel likely only sees Beastman, Mer-man, Webstor and Clawful holding Skeletor's Havok Staff, all in silhouette.

    From a practical standpoint, we see Fuerza-T.

    I'm not hugely familiar with the Fuerza-T line, but from what I've read, Top Toys bought those molds from Mattel and owned them free and easy, due to Argentina's laws which prevented Mattel from treating Top Toys like a standard licensee. Top Toys couldn't make new MOTU figures run off those molds, but they could reuse the molds for their own IP, as long as there was no reasonable expectation of consumer confusion (ie, a random mom isn't going to mistake a Fuerza-T figure for a MOTU figure on a store shelf.)

    We see the same thing happen in Kenner's Robin Hood Prince of Thieves line where they reused several Star Wars molds. Kenner owned the molds, so Gamorrean Guard became Friar Tuck and the Ewok Village became Sherwood Forest. Neither Lucasfilm/Fox or Morgan Creek/Warner Bros raised an eyebrow, as it's a somewhat standard practice in the toy industry.

    Top Toys could theoretically say "hey, you guys stole our Fuerza T IP for your box art!" but this would likely end with Mattel owning Fuerza-T after a lengthy lawsuit Top Toys could never win. So, we should probably just look at their presence on the box art as a supreme flex from Mattel with some shade being thrown at Top Toys, delivered as an easter egg to the fans and not as any attempt to assign legitimacy to the Fuerza-T property.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  22. #47
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    From a legal standpoint, Mattel likely only sees Beastman, Mer-man, Webstor and Clawful holding Skeletor's Havok Staff, all in silhouette.

    From a practical standpoint, we see Fuerza-T.
    Yes! Thank you that is the point I could not get out as simply as you just did.
    Top Toys could theoretically say "hey, you guys stole our Fuerza T IP for your box art!" but this would likely end with Mattel owning Fuerza-T after a lengthy lawsuit Top Toys could never win. So, we should probably just look at their presence on the box art as a supreme flex from Mattel with some shade being thrown at Top Toys, delivered as an easter egg to the fans and not as any attempt to assign legitimacy to the Fuerza-T property.
    There's a good chance that a US court would look at Top Toys and say something like "So, you don't respect out IP laws, why should we respect yours?" I understand that's how it works with Russia.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 4/17/2021

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •