Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

Destroyer of Tough Stains Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    The game is very good overall. But I do think it is a bit overrated and the level of praise is a bit undeserved. I give it maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10 (as opposed to many reviews that are rating it perfect or near perfect).

I will start with some of the positives. The game play is definitely top notch overall. It takes the classic beat 'em up style and brings it into modern day. I like the combos, etc. that can be done.

Having the roster expanded beyond just the four Turtles is nice. And I really enjoy playing as April in particular. Her move set is really great, especially the air kicking/juggling. I'm having a blast playing as her.

It is nice that the game has 16 stages, though like many have said, I wish there were more. Still, it is longer than any of the classic games from back in the day (be it arcade or console games).

I do somewhat appreciate that this game overall is trying to be more specific in style to the original cartoon series. The Turtles, themselves, and most applicable villains in the original games tended to lean towards their cartoon looks, but there were exceptions. In this game, characters like Tokka, Rahzar, and Slash are very specifically based on their cartoon looks. While I do tend to prefer the design of Slash as seen in the original action figure and most other media, I still have a liking for the cartoon version (I was excited when the NECA figure came out), and I can appreciate that version being included to change things up a bit.

It is nice that it is sprite-based art, and I will say that it is well animated. And I want to be very clear on what I am (and am not) praising with that statement. I'm praising things like the fluidity, etc., of the animation, which is great. I can't say the same for the art/design style itself...

(I'll put the rest of my thoughts on spoiler tags since it is a "wall of text", much of which are my issues with the game)...

This is where I start to get critical. I've seen so many people praising how beautiful the game is, etc. (not just here, but in reviews, etc.). So far I've only seen one review on Youtube (and it's one with not a lot of traffic) that seemed to roughly echo some of my views of this...

I'm not saying that the game looks terrible. It's definitely decent. But the thing that really bugs the hell out of me is the sort of stylized look of the characters where everyone is sort of exaggeratedly short and wide. It's this weird "cutesy" ascetic that honestly makes the characters looks sillier and less serious than they would otherwise.

Honestly, this is a design style that I would expect to see in something like a simplistic, "free-to-play" mobile phone game that would like have minimal animation and would likely be a TMNT theme put over some generic, simple game play style. This feels like they took designs made for something like that, and put them as a skin over this game that otherwise has high quality game play and animation. While the game is fun to play, as something that is meant to be a homage to and arguably the next entry in the series of classic games (especially the arcade games), I could not take this game with this visual style seriously as something that I would actually be expected to pump quarters into at an arcade.

My other issue is with most of the backgrounds/stages. They just feel kind of redundant and samey. I mean, yes, the inside of the building looks like the inside of a building, a sewer looks like a sewer, the inside of the mall stage looks like the inside of a mall. BUT many of them have very similar color palettes, and the colors look faded and washed out. Maybe the intent was for so that the characters stand out more in front of the backgrounds, but it really makes the environments feel bland and not as unique as they should. I feel like all of these places were designed by the same interior decorator that has a very distinct, narrow (but not necessarily amazing) style.

Things don't really feel like they start to really change up much for me until some of the outdoor sections/stages in Dimension X, and that still feels kind of like it's too little, too late for me. It's not enough of a different to REALLY change things up that late into the game.

When I go back and look at the original games, particularly the arcade games, but even the console games (even the NES games with their limited color palettes), the stages feel much more unique in general. While they all fit within the respective games' visual ascetics, they still feel more like unique locations. I don't feel like the street, the sewer, the inside of April's apartment, and the inside of the Technodrome were probably all (in-universe) designed by the same person.

Then I have mixed feelings on some of the boss choices. I'm not saying that most of the characters in the game shouldn't be there... but it would have been nice if characters we've seen before had been just a little bit more balanced with ones we haven't (to the game's credits, there are some characters like Chrome Dome and the Triceratons that did not appear in the NES/SNES/Arcade beat 'em ups back in the day).

Here's kind of, in part, the basis of my view point on this....

One thing that over the years I have really come to appreciate about the two original arcade games (by which I mean the actual arcade versions, not the NES/SNES ports which, while great in their own right, lose this aspect through some of the changes and additions - particularly to Turtles in Time - and in being the 2nd and 4th entries respectively in a series of 4 games across those two consoles)... is this sense of them having a loose continuity between them.

I say loose because there are things like the first arcade game ending with the Technodrome being destroyed, and it being back in the sequel (though arguably it could have been repaired/rebuilt). But that being said...

In the original arcade game, the bosses are Rocksteady and Bebop (first separately, and then later together), Baxter Stockman (human form), Granitor, General Traag, Krang, and Shredder.

Now, obviously Krang and Shredder both return in Turtles in Time since they are the main villains of the game series (which was primarily based around the cartoon series, though occasionally mixed in elements from other incarnations). But of all of the rest of the bosses, the only one that returns at all is Baxter Stockman, now in his fly form. All the rest of the bosses were not in the previous arcade game. There's Metalhead (an odd choice... more on this later), the Pizza Monsters, Cement Man, Tokka & Rahzar, and Leatherhead... then Krang (twice... in his robot body then in that UFO thing), and Shredder.

**Just to address some aspect of the SNES version, even thought it is besides the point that I'm making,

there are some changes to the SNES version that I do otherwise appreciate (even though I do have an affinity for the arcade version as-is). Putting the Rat King at the end of the sewer level makes sense as the Pizza Monsters aren't much of a boss. I get why they swapped out Cement Man (a more obscure, one-off cartoon character) with the more well known Slash. And it is nice that the game ends with a battle with Super Shredder, who is not in the arcade (though I still would have liked the battle with regular Shredder like in the arcade to be there, but followed by Super Shredder). I never cared for the inclusion of Rocksteady and Bebop in the SNES version of the game. It's not that I dislike the characters, but the battle with them is really lame. You defeat one of them and then they kill each other. They look ridiculous in their pirate outfits. I get that they were trying to theme them with the stage the were on, but that's the only case where the game goes out of it's way to give characters new outfits/designs to fit in with their stage. Plus having played the arcade version first, I strongly associated Tokka and Rahzar with that stage and was not thrilled with them being moved to the new-to-the-SNES-version's Technodrome stage.

If I were to combine aspects of the arcade and SNES versions to make my own idealized version of Turtle in Time, it would look something like this (I'm only addressing what bosses are included and in what stages, there are some differences in how the same bosses fight in the arcade and SNES games that I have thoughts about but won't go into here)...

-Baxter and Metalhead remain as the bosses of the first two stages respectively.

-The Rat King is the boss of the sewer level. I would prefer it to play more like the arcade game rather than the more bonus level style of the SNES game.

-The Technodrome stage added for the SNES version would still be here at this point. The main difference would be that instead of fighting Tokka and Rahzar as the mid-level bosses, I would put Slash in their place. The battle with him would be a little easier than in the actual SNES game since he is one of the tougher end bosses, with him needing to be hit from behind, and now he'd be a mid-level boss. The battle at the end of the stage with Shredder in his machine (where you throw the foot soldiers towards the screen to attack him) would remain as-is.

-Cement Man would remain as the boss of the Prehistoric stage as in the arcade game.

-Tokka and Rahzar would remain as the bosses of the pirate ship stage, complete with the rain and thunderstorm graphics of the arcade version (I know it was the limits of the hardware, but in addition to the change in bosses of this stage, the lack of those effects bothered me in the SNES version)

-Leatherhead would be the boss of the train stage, as is the case in both the arcade and SNES versions.

-Krang in his robot body is still the boss of the future stage where the Turtles are outside riding on hoverboards. I have mixed feelings on the stage itself. In the arcade, it is a traditional side scrolling stage. On SNES, it was changed to that viewpoint where everything is coming at you (up until the battle with Krang at the end), which visually is cool looking, but is a bonus stage again and there are some aspects I don't care for. I'd probably want to see the two versions somewhat combined where it goes to that viewpoint from the SNES version a couple of times during the stage, but mostly plays like the arcade.

-The next stage with Krang in his UFO thing would be pretty much the same.

-The final Technodrome stage would have the battle with regular Shredder from the arcade, followed by him turning into Super Shredder like he does in the SNES version... probably with some kind of pizza that appears inbetween the two battles to allow the players to recharge.

One thing that this game does do that I like from a "loose continuity" standpoint is the Technodrome Redux level having the Technodrome be all damaged and destroyed from previous battles, making this seems like it takes place after previous games/adventures.

And to be clear, I certainly didn't expect this brand new TMNT game based on the classic 80s/90s era to not have popular, well known characters in it like Rocksteady and Bebop, etc. I understand a lot of the boss choices and why they are there. But a couple of changes could be made.

For one thing, I hate the fact that out of 16 stages, Rocksteady and/or Bebop are the bosses of 4 of them. You battle them individually in the first two stages, the next stage is them in a truck, then a few stages later, you fight them at the same time. Honestly a single battle with the both of them would have been enough IMO. Or perhaps have them reappear as mid-level bosses in a stage or two that doesn't already have a mid-level boss. This way they easily could have put in another 2 or 3 boss characters... preferably ones that hadn't really been seen in other games before. A couple of ideas that come to mind are characters like Scum-Bug, Mutagen Man, Antrax, Pizza-Face, Tattoo to name a few.

I definitely would not have made Metalhead a villain again (thus freeing up a spot to put in another villain). I know on the original cartoon he goes haywire and attacks the Turtles, be he is not an inherently bad character. Maybe for this game, he could have been another unlockable playable character. Maybe he is unlocked when completing Arcade Mode, similar to how Casey is unlocked when completing Story Mode.

I have mixed feelings on the inclusion of Tempestra in particular. On the one hand, it's a villain that has not been in an official TMNT game before, and is/would have been somewhat unexpected since she is specifically from the cartoon and not any other TMNT media to my knowledge. (I'm also not entirely thrilled with Tokka and Rahzar being sort of tacked-on to the battle with her, rather than being their own separate boss fight... though at the same time making them separate bosses would take up one more slot for an end stage villain).

But what would have been a particularly surprising inclusion is IMO deflated by the fact that she was already included in the fan game TMNT Rescue Palooza.

I know it's not entirely fair to base my criticism of this official game based on a fan game, since fan games, while perhaps being more limited in resources (from a financial/time perspective) also have sort of a "sky's the limit" aspect where someone can put in as many things as they want and not deal with licensing issues, or the limits and standards of how some games are made. BUT this is a particular stand out fan game and got A LOT of attention when it was released.

I don't know how long Shredder's Revenge has been in development, but if memory serves, Rescue Palooza came out sometime in 2019. I doubt that Shredder's Revenge was even in development at that time, and even if it was, it probably wasn't so far along that the bosses, etc. were nailed down. Maybe the SR team was even inspired to include her based on her inclusion in RP (this is speculation on my part, of course). But IMO they really should have maybe gone for another cartoon specific character if possible to do something a bit different.

I also realize that in the list of villains that I suggested earlier that could have been included in SR (that weren't in previous official games), there is a couple characters that do appear in RP, but I still could have understood those inclusions a bit more being characters that in most instances were both toys and appeared on the show, and for that reason don't stand out the same way that Tempestra does.

The irony here IMO is that while the fan game Rescue Palooza quite literally reuses resources from past TMNT games, and has a play style that is more remnicent of the 8-bit games (just with a more 16 bit color palette), that game manages to both pay homage to the original games, be a nostalgic throwback, but also be it's own fun, memorable, somewhat unique experience. Things like the option to play most level in a non-liner manner (you can pick the next one you play), is pretty awesome.

Shredder's Revenge, on the other hand, while having a great game play style, being the first official game to allow players to pick from more characters than just the Turtles, and being built from the ground up... in many ways feels far more derivative of the old games to me than something like Rescue Palooza which quite literally actually IS derivative of those old games. In my opinion, SR doesn't really do many things that really make it stand out as it's own unique, memorable experience. And the few things that it does have that does make it stand out are things that I'm not all that thrilled with (like the short/squat style of the characters, muted backgrounds, etc.)

I understand that something like the inclusion of the Statue of Liberty in the plot (and even making it Krang's final form) is a way to do a throwback/knod to Turtles in Time without doing the exact same thing again, but I still would have liked this game to do more of it's own thing that becomes memorable like Turtles in Time is for what it did at the time.

There's SO much more IMO that could have been done with this game to make it a nice nostaglic throwback, but give it more of it's own unique, memorable identity. I just feel that it is very lacking in that respect.

Maybe some DLC will help with some of these aspects. But what I would love to also see is maybe this same team do a sequel that does some more new things, includes characters that haven't been in TMNT games before (or have barely been), and really becomes it's own unique experience in it's own right.

What would be fun, if there's no issues with licensing, etc., would be something along the lines of a Turtles Forever/Turtles Multi-verse game where they bring in elements (and the different incarnations) of the TMNT from various versions, including the original comics, 80s cartoon, 2003 cartoon, 2012 cartoon, etc. And you can play as they versions of the Turtles from those incarnations, as well as other characters. There's other ways to go besides that. That is just one thought.

I'm not trying to crap all over the game. It is very good in many ways. I enjoy playing it. While it has good game play and is a nice throwback, it did very little to really surprise and "WOW" me. I think the potential is there... it just hasn't been fully realized.

Anyone get the "Who Needs A Dock?" achievement yet??
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Anyone get the "Who Needs A Dock?" achievement yet??
    Here's a work around someone posted on Youtube...

I haven't attempted this work around myself. But I'm playing on the Switch and while it is one of the in-game challenges in story mode, it's not an overall achievement/trophy like on Xbox and Playstation.

Despite my above criticisms of the game, I'm still enjoying it overall and I'm thrilled to have a new TMNT beat 'em up. And I'm still planning to order the standard physical version from Limited Run for all 3 systems, so eventually I'll probably try to unlock that on the other two systems.

It would be nice to complete that challenge on the Switch, and maybe I will eventually, but it's not urgent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Here's a work around someone posted on Youtube...

I haven't attempted this work around myself. But I'm playing on the Switch and while it is one of the in-game challenges in story mode, it's not an overall achievement/trophy like on Xbox and Playstation.

Despite my above criticisms of the game, I'm still enjoying it overall and I'm thrilled to have a new TMNT beat 'em up. And I'm still planning to order the standard physical version from Limited Run for all 3 systems, so eventually I'll probably try to unlock that on the other two systems.

It would be nice to complete that challenge on the Switch, and maybe I will eventually, but it's not urgent.
    Yeah, I saw this... and something similar where you can jump into an online game at just the right moment and get the achievement.

But, I want to do it legitimately. I have come close a dozen times, but if you get touched just once, it's back to the drawing board and you have to fight the Statue of Tyranny all over again... ugh.

Splinter and Raph have the strongest special moves and can defeat Shredder very quickly... sometimes, it just comes down to bad luck, like when he dashes straight into you from the get go.

It will eventually happen... I'm doing this on the Steam version (for the steam cheevo) before attempting it on the Switch. Plus, I just love this game... and the background pixel-art on stage 16 (upper and lower) is so good looking! So, I don't mind.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Yeah, I saw this... and something similar where you can jump into an online game at just the right moment and get the achievement.

But, I want to do it legitimately. I have come close a dozen times, but if you get touched just once, it's back to the drawing board and you have to fight the Statue of Tyranny all over again... ugh.

Splinter and Raph have the strongest special moves and can defeat Shredder very quickly... sometimes, it just comes down to bad luck, like when he dashes straight into you from the get go.

It will eventually happen... I'm doing this on the Steam version (for the steam cheevo) before attempting it on the Switch. Plus, I just love this game... and the background pixel-art on stage 16 (upper and lower) is so good looking! So, I don't mind.
    Yeah those no damage challenges are the ones I doubt I'll ever get. I actually did defeat the Statue of Tyranny no damage (as April -her multiple kick rising attack works wonders) but can never seem to go totally unharmed against Super Shredder.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    Yeah those no damage challenges are the ones I doubt I'll ever get. I actually did defeat the Statue of Tyranny no damage (as April -her multiple kick rising attack works wonders) but can never seem to go totally unharmed against Super Shredder.
    I hear you...

Those "no damage" challenges are incredibly tough!

I have memorized the Mutants Over Broadway level and the attack patterns of every enemy... I can get to the boss, but I have yet to beat the Turtle Tenderizer without taking damage... ugh!

Same with Panic in the Sky... (which is even easier to get through unharmed), yet I always get hit by Wingnut's rockets!!

I FINALLY (after an absurd number of attempts) managed to get through Jay Breaking News and Mutants Over Broadway without taking any damage.

April has pretty much become my main character to play as. It's funny because in story mode I have leveled all of the characters up to 10. She was the last one that I did this with out of the 7 characters. Not that I was against playing as her by any means, but I didn't expect her to be the stand out character (in my opinion) of the lot. Like Lord_Of_Destruction said, her rising kick is a great move, and not just against the Status Of Tyranny (though it has come in handy there, and I have gotten past the statue without taking damage... Super Shredder is another story entirely). She's pretty much become the main character that I play as.

I was using her when I got through the two aforementioned stages with no damage taken. In the case of Mutants Over Broadway, here was my strategy in defeating the Turtle Tenderizer unharmed (baring in mind that even after I came up with this strategy, it still took many attempts before I was successful).

The key thing is to be patient and play it primarily defensively (avoiding attacks and getting hit), with only using offense as key specific times, and relying on the special move. Being that I already have April fully leveled up and this is a challenge being done in story mode, I make sure to go into it with the full 3 special move gauges filled.

When the moment is right, I get behind the truck, but not TOO close as to wear April (or whatever character you opt to play as), is not actually touching the truck, and do her special move. The reason I don't like regular punching and kicking is that is requires getting too close to the truck, making it more likely to take damage. Plus, when doing the special move, the character is temporarily invincible. So if I'm in the middle of doing this move when Bebop swings the ball and chain at me, I'm safe as long as he has pulled it back before my special move is done. Likewise, when Rocksteady is throwing the grenades, they won't hurt the character in the middle of the special move. But you have to be careful on the timing, because you don't want to special move animation to end just before a grenade is about to land on you/right next to you.

Even if you are playing this on the easiest difficulty setting (which is what my Story Mode game is set for), 3 special move gauges won't be enough, and using the taunt to recharge will be necessary. For me, usually the best time to do that would be when it transitions from Rocksteady's attacks (typically with the grenades, but also something his gun) to the truck getting ready to back into you and try to hit you. Getting the timing down for this is necessary, but when it seems to be obvious that the attacks are about to top, and Rocksteady & Bebop will soon do the animation where they pop out of the truck's window and laugh before backing into you, I get into the upper left corner of the screen and do the taunt to recharge the gauge. Once you get the timing right, the recharge should finish with enough time for you to be able to move out of the way of the truck when it starts to back up.

Like I said, it took many attempts, but this is ultimately the strategy that I used when I finally managed to get through the level unharmed.

I got the "Who Needs a Dock?" achievement!!

Whew, it took about 20 attempts (not counting my standard arcade and story mode playthroughs), but I finally figured out a strategy that I was able to duplicate shortly after getting the achievement...

I was also able to get the stage challenge of "no damage" as a byproduct of the Super Shredder stipulation.

These are my steps for getting the achievement:

-1. Make sure that you are playing single-player Story Mode.
    -2. Make sure that your character is leveled to at least 9 (so that you have 3 special attack bars.)
    -I chose Splinter because he has the most powerful special attack (along with Raph.)
    -Note: It is okay to take damage during the Statue of Tyranny fight.
    -As soon as the battle starts, double-jump out of the way of Super Shredder (I usually aim for the upper left area.)
    -Avoid his streaks of green flames by double-jumping... note that you have a great amount of control over your character when you are in the air.
    -After his first zig-zag, Shredder will stop somewhere toward the middle of the stage (usually about 1/4 of the way from the left or right side and top or bottom of the screen - He NEVER stops at the edges of the screen.)
    -When he starts spouting rings of green flame, make sure your character's feet are lined up with Shredder's... then use a single hop (not a double jump) to jump over the THREE waves of flame.
    -Repeat the above process avoiding his zig-zag patterns. (These are always random... I noticed no discernible pattern during my attempts.)
    -After the second round of green flame rings, Shredder will pause before a giant sphere of green energy engulfs him - DO NOT APPROACH HIM until he kneels down!!
    -Immediately do a jumping super and followup with a 4-5 hit string of attacks then quickly double-jump away to avoid his shadow clone.
    -Repeat the above process, but this time when Shredder pauses to be engulfed with green energy, perform a taunt to refill your special gauge then perform the jumping super and 4-5 hits.
    -Repeat the above processes yet again being careful to avoid Shredder's flames.
    -When he pauses the next time, make sure you perform a taunt while Shredder generates four shadow clones around himself. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! (You want to have 3 special bars for the next phase.
    -After you attack the four clones (be aware that they throw green balls of energy at you that can easily be avoided with a running dodge), Shredder will collapse to his Knees.
    -Now, perform three jumping supers in a row to finish the fight!!

This technique worked for me with Raph and Splinter (I like Splinter because he makes short work of the Krang fight) so far.

I am going to attempt this again with a weaker character like April or Mikey to see how many phases it takes. Super Shredder gets faster with each subsequent phase which makes avoiding his rings of fire much more difficult...

Woot!!

P.S. One of my favorite easter eggs is the digital clock in Times Square... it reads 3:00am! ("Big Apple, 3AM!")

Last edited by Ornclown; July 6, 2022 at 07:26pm.

I just placed my limited run order!

While the swag is cool in the huge set (and the VHS box and steelbook are cool in the VHS style set), it's all just stuff that will take up more space for me, so I opted for the standard versions, but I got it for all 3 consoles. I don't do that with many games, but as a TMNT fan, I have to.

I plan to do the same with the Cowabunga Collection, including getting both the PS4 and PS5 versions (and I don't even have a PS5 yet LOL).

I plan to do the same with the Cowabunga Collection, including getting both the PS4 and PS5 versions (and I don't even have a PS5 yet LOL).
    Everything is going up good after crypto suffers, and the price & supplies since Covid are improving. You'll get PS5 either on Black Friday or Christmas sale .

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Everything is going up good after crypto suffers, and the price & supplies since Covid are improving. You'll get PS5 either on Black Friday or Christmas sale .
    Yeah, I'll get one eventually. While I do want one, to be honest there's not much currently that is completely exclusive to the PS5 or the Xbox Series X that I really feel like I'm "missing out" on.

I will want to play the new Spider-Man game on PS5 once that comes out, but even that isn't a big issue if I don't play it on "day one."

--------------
    On the topic of this game, an interesting glitch of some sort happened last night that I had not seen before.

To preface this, I don't know how common some of these things are on other platforms, but on the Switch (which is the only platform so far that I have played this game on), when there's issues between the connections of players, some common things that I have seen are characters/enemies kind of randomly bouncing around the screen, a player kind of getting "stuck" (in some cases they aren't moving at all, indicating that their connection may have dropped and it just hasn't fully caught up on my end.... but in other cases they are moving, but not in the direction as everyone else, and it doesn't seem to be intentional like they are trying to mess up the game for the other players), and various issues like that.

Something new happened last night. There were already some connectivity issues/glitches like I described above happening (such as a player playing as Michelangelo kind of being stuck on the left side of the screen). But something new that I had never seen before was 2 players SOMEHOW playing as Raphael. Of note is that the energy bars show only one Raph and one Casey Jones (though no one is actually playing as Casey), so I'm assuming whatever glitch that happened resulted in someone who should have been playing as Casey somehow being Raph instead.

I quickly snapped several images of this. Here are a few of them...

Yeah, I'll get one eventually. While I do want one, to be honest there's not much currently that is completely exclusive to the PS5 or the Xbox Series X that I really feel like I'm "missing out" on.

I will want to play the new Spider-Man game on PS5 once that comes out, but even that isn't a big issue if I don't play it on "day one."
    I still have been unable to find a PS5 at retail price. (And I absolutely will NOT pay more than MSRP.)

But, I'm certainly hoping to get one when God of War: Ragnarok comes out... I've bought every single GoW game on day one, and I want to keep the streak alive. (I'm a huge GoW fan, and the latest entry is honestly one of the best games ever made - not just my opinion, but across the board it has garnered incredible reviews.)

--------------
    On the topic of this game, an interesting glitch of some sort happened last night that I had not seen before.

To preface this, I don't know how common some of these things are on other platforms, but on the Switch (which is the only platform so far that I have played this game on), when there's issues between the connections of players, some common things that I have seen are characters/enemies kind of randomly bouncing around the screen, a player kind of getting "stuck" (in some cases they aren't moving at all, indicating that their connection may have dropped and it just hasn't fully caught up on my end.... but in other cases they are moving, but not in the direction as everyone else, and it doesn't seem to be intentional like they are trying to mess up the game for the other players), and various issues like that.

Something new happened last night. There were already some connectivity issues/glitches like I described above happening (such as a player playing as Michelangelo kind of being stuck on the left side of the screen). But something new that I had never seen before was 2 players SOMEHOW playing as Raphael. Of note is that the energy bars show only one Raph and one Casey Jones (though no one is actually playing as Casey), so I'm assuming whatever glitch that happened resulted in someone who should have been playing as Casey somehow being Raph instead.
    It's funny, I have yet to see any glitches when I play the Steam version of TMNT SR, but on the Switch, I was playing in multi-player arcade and during the Super Shredder fight, he turned completely upside down for the entire fight! When he stopped for an attack, he actually disappeared from the screen... this made it an incredibly awkward battle.

Also, the enemies sometimes get "stuck" next to a player after being hit. I think that this is because of the 'auto-aim' feature that the programmers added (like when you dash attack, you automatically move toward the nearest enemy...)

I can't really play video games anymore because of arthritic hands, but here is a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge: The Complete Guide & Walkthrough With Tips & Tricks book I would love to have just as a collector's item.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...3WVEVKZB&psc=1
    Last edited by Mikey; July 16, 2022 at 02:57am.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I can't really play video games anymore because of arthritic hands, but here is a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge: The Complete Guide & Walkthrough With Tips & Tricks book I would love to have just as a collector's item.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...3WVEVKZB&psc=1
    I would be leery of that one Mikey. Here's some feedback about it. It's not a collectors book of any sorts.

"The guide is horrible, super low cost, printed in black and white, and only uses screenshots! It's as if someone had done it with the word at home, uploading screenshots of their own gameplay. It doesn't bring anything, it's totally expendable and pathetic. To avoid like the plague."
    Last edited by depp76; July 16, 2022 at 10:50am.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    I would be leery of that one Mikey. Here's some feedback about it. It's not a collectors book of any sorts.

"The guide is horrible, super low cost, printed in black and white, and only uses screenshots! It's as if someone had done it with the word at home, uploading screenshots of their own gameplay. It doesn't bring anything, it's totally expendable and pathetic. To avoid like the plague."
    Thanks for the heads-up, I was hoping it would be something fabulous but I guess there are better books out there.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

This game is so rad. I hope someone at Mattel had seen it and slapped themselves repeatedly for not having He-Man and She-Ra out there like this.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    This game is so rad. I hope someone at Mattel had seen it and slapped themselves repeatedly for not having He-Man and She-Ra out there like this.
    It's just mind-boggling to me that there isn't at least one video game.

I honestly think that video games are big part of why TMNT has remained so relevant throughout the years... almost every new iteration receives one (or many) different video games - with the 80's version getting the most.

Mattel is the most bone-headed company when it comes to digital entertainment. Either they are oblivious and ignorant of the possibilities, or they are purposely ignoring potential truckloads of revenue and new fans...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

I honestly think that video games are big part of why TMNT has remained so relevant throughout the years... almost every new iteration receives one (or many) different video games - with the 80's version getting the most.

Mattel is the most bone-headed company when it comes to digital entertainment. Either they are oblivious and ignorant of the possibilities, or they are purposely ignoring potential truckloads of revenue and new fans...
    I’m convinced that they fell bass-ackwards accidentally into every success they’ve had. Missing the NES entirely when they at least could have squirted out a cheap tie in for the movie or New Adventures… they could have continued the brand as a video game franchise on Genesis/SNES… so many here-and-gone brands has games in those days. Baffling in hindsight.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but my MAIN love for TMNT came from TMNT:The Arcade Game. I was older when they came out and so wasn't as into the toys beyond the first releases. But man I loved that game and how it felt like another episode of the show.

I just got Shredder's Revenge this weekend and am loving it. Looking forward to my boys coming over and playing together.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

I’m convinced that they fell bass-ackwards accidentally into every success they’ve had. Missing the NES entirely when they at least could have squirted out a cheap tie in for the movie or New Adventures… they could have continued the brand as a video game franchise on Genesis/SNES… so many here-and-gone brands has games in those days. Baffling in hindsight.
    It really is almost impossible to believe in this day-and-age...

Even Hasbro has been licensing its properties to video game developers for years... G.I.Joe, Transformers, Power Rangers (and, of course, parts of Star Wars & Marvel).

Somebody needs to email Mattel's head of marketing this fan game from a few years back... it's an incredible project put together by one guy.

A fun beat-em-up in the same vein as TMNT the Arcade Game. Maybe this will light the fire of inspiration.

I think the closest they came was He-Man appearing in that Toy box playstation game a few years back.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I think the closest they came was He-Man appearing in that Toy box playstation game a few years back.
    Toy Soldiers War Chest or something like that. If I recall that game was broken and basically unplayable at release and there was never any tech support provided to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    It's just mind-boggling to me that there isn't at least one video game.

It really is almost impossible to believe in this day-and-age...

Even Hasbro has been licensing its properties to video game developers for years... G.I.Joe, Transformers, Power Rangers (and, of course, parts of Star Wars & Marvel).

Somebody needs to email Mattel's head of marketing this fan game from a few years back... it's an incredible project put together by one guy.
    While I see the points trying to be made here, I think you both are looking at this through the benefit of hindsight with regards to the success of the TMNT games in general and the impact they had, and assuming that doing the same for MOTU would have (more or less) been a slam dunk by default.

To address a few points in the quotes above...

I certainly don't want to downplay the success and quality of the TMNT video games. I am a HUGE fan of them. I even got the Arcade1Up cabinet of the arcade games (and I'm VERY limited on space for such things, but even before they were officially announced, I new that TMNT and Marvel vs Capcom were my two must haves if ever A1Up made them, and I have both now).

But are the games, specifically, a big part of WHY TMNT has remained relevant through the years? I'm not so sure about that, necessarily. I would argue that if we had never gotten any video games back in the day, or if a company that tended to make really crappy games with licenses that they got (i.e. LJN) had gotten them and the games hadn't been anywhere near as revered, but all other aspects of the TMNT craze of the late 80s/early 90s had still occurred in exactly the same way (TV, movie, toys, comics, etc.), it really wouldn't have changed the relevance of the property has a whole. I would argue that the games were a very strong, additional pillar in the overall TMNT franchise back in the day (with the popularity of the franchise bringing attention to the games, which were of very solid quality), but a pillar that was not inherently necessary to prop-up the brand as a whole. It was there, it was prominent, it was high profile, but metaphorically speaking, it was not "load bearing." Had it not been there, for the most part, everything else would have been fine and gone the same way.

And to Ornclown's point... the 80s version got the most games, the majority of which came out during that late 80s/early 90s era/ 8-bit & 16-bit era. There were games based on the 2003 cartoon, the 2007 CGI movie, and beyond... some of which were better than others (the GBA game based on the 2007 movie is supposed to be really good, and the guy who worked on that is involved with Shredder's Revenge), but none really caught on like the games did during the 80s/90s era. There really hadn't been many of any new games based on / involving that era of TMNT until those versions of the Turtles popped up in some Nickelodeon games in recent years (that also include various Nicktoons characters), and now the Shredder's Revenge game.

With regards to Mattel adapting MOTU and POP into games, the timing of things really needs to be considered.

While obviously NO WHERE near as good or popular/high profile as the TMNT games (and far fewer titles), contrary to He-Metayer's statement, there were MOTU video games. There was one back in the 80s on the Atari 2600. It's nothing to really get too excited about (as was usually the case for licensed tie-in games on the Atari with it's very limited graphics.... TMNT likely wouldn't have faired but better had the TMNT craze happened while systems like the Atari were the primary gaming platforms on the market).

During the 200X era, there was a game on Gameboy Advance, and one that released on PS2, but unfortunately only in Europe I believe, as it's release coincided with the time when 200X was dying prematurely.

That's also why we likely never saw anything like a MOTU game on the NES. The NES kinda/sorta game out in 1985, but it was really more 1986 when it first hit shelves nation wide. And while it quickly became the main popular gaming platform, it still took another year or two beyond that to become the system that "everyone" either had or was doing what they could to obtain it.

From a timing perspective, that all coincides with when MOTU as a brand was dying. And yes, that was largely due to Mattel mismanagement of it, particularly when it came to how it handled toys on retail shelves. But the point is that with gaming development cycles taking the time that they do (even back then, while shorter than what it takes these days, still wasn't "over night"), by the time it really would have become evident that making a game on the NES would be a good idea, the brand was pretty much dead in the water. The odds of a video game, even a good one, reinvigorating the brand as a whole was slim-to-none. In order for a game to do that, it would have needed to be BEYOND exceptional, and even then it still wouldn't be guaranteed. And while Konami, back in those days, made some solid quality games (in arcades and on consoles), the general trend overall for licensed IP games wasn't that great. So had something been done with MOTU on the NES, there's a decent chance that it would have been licensed out to a company that would have made a crappy game. And even if the likes of Konami or Capcom (which made some good games like DuckTales) had gotten it, even if it was a really good game, if it particularly stand out among all other games of whatever genre it would have been in, it likely wouldn't have gotten the attention needed to do anything remarkable for the brand as a whole.

The TMNT games, particularly the arcade game as a starting point, was a perfect storm of a game being based on a franchise that was VERY QUICKLY rising in popularity (my guess is that while they likely knew it was popular when they started developing the game, they likely had no idea HOW popular it would become at that time) and the game, itself, being of particularly good quality in it's genre. It was a lightning-in-a-bottle scenario.

With all due respect to everyone I've quoted above, what good would it REALLY have done for Mattel to "at least could have squirted out a cheap tie in for the movie or New Adventures"? A cheap tie in (aka most likely a mediocre game at best) wouldn't have done much, even if it had been based on the Filmation cartoon at the height of it's popularity. But to have a cheap tie in for the 1987 movie (which, while having gained more respect from fans over the years, flopped at the time, and disappointed a lot of kids with it being very different and lacking many elements from the cartoon... i.e. the transformation) or New Adventures (arguably the least popular reboot/spin-off of MOTU ever... no disrespect to the fans who like it)??? That wouldn't have done ANYTHING to elevate to reinvigorate the brand. It would just be a mostly forgotten footnote in the lesser eras of when the brand wasn't doing so well.

The comparison to Hasbro? All of those brands that they own like GI Joe, Transformers, and Power Rangers (bearing in mind that Power Rangers is a recent acquisition of theirs and the property was not owned by them when most of the related games came out, but I digress since it is somewhat besides the point), to some extent or another had more consistent TV and/or movie entertainment media and of course toys on the shelves over the years than MOTU did. Those brands never went away for really significant amounts of time (if at all) like MOTU did. So they were never really the victim of timing like MOTU dying just as the NES era started up, or 200X dying too quickly before games could be given a big launch (which they games that were made were nothing too exciting).

And while there are some games that are better than others (there's been some good TF games, and the GI Joe arcade game was pretty cool, Power Rangers has been a mixed bag), for the most part none of these brands have ever really had any games that have had the kind of popularity and following that the 80s/90s era TMNT games have had. While it's nice that the better games among those do exist, very few if any of them are (generally speaking) looked upon as fondly as those older TMNT games. So really, if some or none of those games based on those brands ever existed, it really wouldn't have had any major impact on those brands in terms of their overall popularity.

I really don't get the point in attributing Star Wars and Marvel video games to Hasbro. Hasbro has the license to make toys of those properties, which are now owned by Disney (and were never owned by Hasbro at any point in time). While both franchises have had some excellent video games, Hasbro really had nothing to do with that at all.

Now, don't get me wrong. Would I love to see a solid quality beat 'em up game based on MOTU and POP made today ala Shredder's Revenge (hopefully with a better art style than the IMO disappointing short/squat look of the characters in TMNT:SR)? Absolutely! That fan game that Ornclown mentioned is really good, for example.

Do I think a well made game along those lines would do well (at least well enough to make a profit and justify it's existence)? Definitely.

And while arguably still relatively niche, MOTU is currently seeing pretty much it's strongest resurgence since it's hey-day back in the 80s. So from a modern perspective, if ever there was a good time to do something like this, it would be now.

But do I think it would do "Shredder's Revenge" sales numbers? Not very likely IMO. While both are nostalgic properties, Turtles has the benefit of not only the property, itself (particularly the 80s/90s cartoon incarnation) being nostalgic, but the previous beat 'em up games having been very popular. So this is a double-dose of nostalgia in that sense... where as for MOTU, while it would be a very fitting property to put in the genre of gaming, it is not inherently associated with it the way that TMNT is, so it wouldn't "grab" people in quite the same way. Then there's the further factor that TMNT as a property overall in it's various incarnations has been in the public eye more consistently over the years. So there are likely at least some younger fans who may not necessarily be particularly familiar with the original cartoon series, are still familiar with TMNT in general and therefore still have some interest in this game, especially given the buzz it has generated.

In other words, it's kind of another "perfect storm" scenario of TMNT of making the right game at the right time that catches people in just the right way, with nostalgia being a significant factor. Again, it's not so much that the games, themselves, kept the property as a whole relevant. But the old games were a very popular and relevant aspect of TMNT back in the day, and this game now is calling back to that and benefiting from it.

While I love the beat 'em up style of the TMNT games I would much rather see a 2D fighter.

Here we are with Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Samurai Showdown, Marvel Super Heroes, Dragon Fighter.....the list goes on but each on trying to come up with unique characters with different fighting styles.

And then you have the MOTU property that literally screams unique characters with different fighting styles. Each character is literally designed for battle!!

It seems like, IMO, that's just an untapped well waiting to be discovered.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”