Thread: She-Ra / Sailor Moon Parallels

She-Ra / Sailor Moon Parallels

So, I started re-watching Sailor Moon Crystal the other day and realized that there are a lot of parallels between it and the Dreamworks PoP show.

The theme of power being given to an untested wielder who has to learn on the job.

The theme of friendship and adventure.

The theme of betrayal and heartache.

The theme of LGBTQ characters.

The theme of specific elemental powers.

The theme of a powerful unicorn.

The theme of royalty and royal descent.

The theme of girl power!

The theme of apprehensive first-love.

The theme of Moon Castle / Crystal Castle.

These are just the one's that I can think of off the top of my head... and, I know many of these can apply to a lot of fiction, but I was just taken back by the imagery and similarities I felt as I watched Sailor Moon over the weekend!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

A lot of those themes can be quite broadly applied to the magical genre as a whole.

Eg Tokyo Mew Mew, Shuga Chara, Wedding Peach, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura the entire Precure franchise ect. Or to use western example the likes of Winx Club or W.I.T.C.H. They by no means share all of those themes universally, but the will all at least have a lot of said themes.

And of there is also stuff like Madoka Magica or Revolutionary Girl Utena that brutally deconstructs the concept (although Madoka also reconstructs and reaffirms those themes and values in it's ending).

I don't think it's inaccurate to say the Netflix She-Ra is a magical girl show or that Noel was likely a fan of the genre and bought a lot of aspect of it into She-Ra. Then again one could make the argument that classic She-Ra was already a magical girl in a lot of ways.

To bring it back to Sailor Moon, well Sailor Moon is the reason the genre is what it is today, so it's probably not a coincidence that Sailor Moon's themes, elements and stylistic aspects are across the entire genre. Which is to say Noel almost certainly had a lot of those themes in mind and took inspirations from them when making Netflix She-Ra.

This probably sounds a bit rambely, but I do think discussion of She-Ra's parallels to the magical girl genre and it's place in said genre (if one considers it a part of it) are quite interesting.
    Last edited by A Dalek; March 16, 2021 at 07:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    A lot of those themes can be quite broadly applied to the magical genre as a whole.

Eg Tokyo Mew Mew, Shuga Chara, Wedding Peach, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura the entire Precure franchise ect. Or to use western example the likes of Winx Club or W.I.T.C.H. They by no means share all of those themes universally, but the will all at least have a lot of said themes.

And of there is also stuff like Madoka Magica or Revolutionary Girl Utena that brutally deconstructs the concept (although Madoka also reconstructs and reaffirms those themes and values in it's ending).

I don't think it's inaccurate to say the Netflix She-Ra is a magical girl show or that Noel was likely a fan of the genre and bought a lot of aspect of it into She-Ra. Then again one could make the argument that classic She-Ra was already a magical girl in a lot of ways.

To bring it back to Sailor Moon, well Sailor Moon is the reason the genre is what it is today,
    so it's probably not a coincidence that Sailor Moon's themes, elements and stylistic aspects are across the entire genre. Which is to say Noel almost certainly had a lot of those themes in mind and took inspirations from them when making Netflix She-Ra.

This probably sounds a bit rambely, but I do think discussion of She-Ra's parallels to the magical girl genre and it's place in said genre (if one considers it a part of it) are quite interesting.
    I would go so far as to say that Naoko Takeuchi created the formula that all other Magical Girl Manga/Anime have since used.

I love Rayearth, Mew Mew and, especially, Card Captor Sakura - heck, I'd even throw Kill La Kill into the genre - but, Sailor Moon has held a big place in my heart going all the way back to '91/'92 (before the explosion of interest in anime hit America...)

I never thought about She-Ra (especially the Filmation series) in this way... but, I can totally see it now. Just another reason to love the Princess(es) of Power!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I would go so far as to say that Naoko Takeuchi created the formula that all other Magical Girl Manga/Anime have since used.

I love Rayearth, Mew Mew and, especially, Card Captor Sakura - heck, I'd even throw Kill La Kill into the genre - but, Sailor Moon has held a big place in my heart going all the way back to '91/'92 (before the explosion of interest in anime hit America...)

I never thought about She-Ra (especially the Filmation series) in this way... but, I can totally see it now. Just another reason to love the Princess(es) of Power!!
    I fun interpretation I've seen of Kill La Kill is that it was a reconstruction of Magical Girls, in the wake of Madoka Magica's influence. In other words if Madoka Magica is to magical girls, what Evangelion is to mecha, then Kill La Kill is the Gurren Lagann of magical girls.

I haven't seen Sailor Moon yet, but it sounds fascinating, although I have seen and love Winx Club.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I haven't seen Sailor Moon yet, but it sounds fascinating, although I have seen and love Winx Club.
    There are two different anime for Sailor Moon, the original 90's anime and Sailor Moon Crystal which started in 2014. Crystal was intended to be a more direct adaptation of the manga. I'm not sure if this helps but there is a pretty nice video of Crystal and it's theme song someone made, it might give you an idea of what it's like.

There are two different anime for Sailor Moon, the original 90's anime and Sailor Moon Crystal which started in 2014. Crystal was intended to be a more direct adaptation of the manga. I'm not sure if this helps but there is a pretty nice video of Crystal and it's theme song someone made, it might give you an idea of what it's like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyOeZpO5JaM
    I'll check those out, thanks for the recommendation!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

This is correct.

Sailor Moon Crystal is indeed a much more faithful adaptation of the original manga.

Though, I prefer the art style / direction of the 90's series, there is a TON of filler!! (For example, Sailor Moon Crystal runs a total of 39 episodes with two short films whereas Sailor Moon Original runs 200 episodes with four feature films - although the these films are not canon in the story.)

Much of the filler is actually really well done, so I will always lean toward the 90's series as my favorite.

The theme of LGBTQ characters.
    Not in Season 1 . I finally got to watching sailormoon recently .

The theme of power being given to an untested wielder who has to learn on the job.

The theme of friendship and adventure.

The theme of betrayal and heartache.

The theme of specific elemental powers.

The theme of royalty and royal descent.

The theme of girl power!

The theme of apprehensive first-love

Ummm this is pretty much a cliche for 90 percent of Anime and superhero shows .
    Last edited by Lokus; March 20, 2021 at 05:23am.

I think there is another themes of Sailor Moon that carries over into the rest of the magical girl genre, Netflix She-Ra included.

The first is the truly evil villains are few and far in between, with the bulk of the villains being sympathetic or at least ultimately revealed to be so. With the heroines ultimately having empathy and compassionate portrayed as being their greatest heroic virtue. They redeem the villains that they can and (mostly) have empathy for the ones that they can't.

Sailor Moon, Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, Precure and of course Netlfix She-Ra all very much embody this theme.

The "All Loving-Hero" trope is in full effect with this genre.

Not that it makes the few truly evil villains any less vile mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post

Kunzite and Zoisite, Uranus and and Neptune. I'm sure there are others.
    Last edited by A Dalek; March 20, 2021 at 03:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    See below:

Kunzite and Zoisite, I'm sure there are others.
    ^^^This.

(Unless you are watching the horribly butchered DIC dub of Sailor Moon... in which case I would say, STOP. NOW.)

Heroic Warrior
    I love Sailor Moon, both versions. I am currently going through all 200 episodes (on Hulu here in the US) and even though there is lots of filler, like Ornlcown says, it is well done. As for Sailor Moon Crystal, I think they released a movie in Japan to continue the story recently, hopefully they will have it come out West sometime. I have not read the manga series yet though, but hopefully will pick up some digital copies of the series from Comixology in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I love Sailor Moon, both versions. I am currently going through all 200 episodes (on Hulu here in the US) and even though there is lots of filler, like Ornlcown says, it is well done. As for Sailor Moon Crystal, I think they released a movie in Japan to continue the story recently, hopefully they will have it come out West sometime. I have not read the manga series yet though, but hopefully will pick up some digital copies of the series from Comixology in the near future.
    Indeed, Sailor Moon Eternal is a two-part theatrical movie that was released in Japan earlier this year. The first part was released on January 8th, and the second was released on February 11th.

Eternal acts as the fourth season of Sailor Moon Crystal and adapts the Dream Arc (or, Dead Moon Arc) of the original manga.

Rumor has it that Netflix already started English Language dubbing of the two movies and will add them to their streaming service at some point this year or next.

I was sad to see that Crystal didn't get a full-fledged "4th season," but I'm hopeful for a theatrical adaptation of Takeuchi's Stars Arc from her manga.

Also, if you haven't read the manga yet, I highly recommend it for any Sailor Moon fans. I started reading some scanlations that a friend gave me back in '91/'92... around the time that the anime first started airing. That's when I realized that season one was almost 50% filler! I never read the later chapters of the manga until way after I'd seen the anime. Fair warning, the anime emphasizes a lot more of the action sequences in comparison to the manga... but, the manga is priceless due to Naoko Takeuchi's beautifully refined artwork by this time.
    Last edited by Ornclown; March 21, 2021 at 11:21pm.

See below:

^^^This.

(Unless you are watching the horribly butchered DIC dub of Sailor Moon... in which case I would say, STOP. NOW.)

Wow I totally forgot about those two . I stand corrected .

Indeed, Sailor Moon Eternal is a two-part theatrical movie that was released in Japan earlier this year. The first part was released on January 8th, and the second was released on February 11th.

Eternal acts as the fourth season of Sailor Moon Crystal and adapts the Dream Arc (or, Dead Moon Arc) of the original manga.

Rumor has it that Netflix already started English Language dubbing of the two movies and will add them to their streaming service at some point this year or next.

I was sad to see that Crystal didn't get a full-fledged "4th season," but I'm hopeful for a theatrical adaptation of Takeuchi's Stars Arc from her manga.

Also, if you haven't read the manga yet, I highly recommend it for any Sailor Moon fans. I started reading some scanlations that a friend gave me back in '91/'92... around the time that the anime first started airing. That's when I realized that season one was almost 50% filler! I never read the later chapters of the manga until way after I'd seen the anime. Fair warning, the anime emphasizes a lot more of the action sequences in comparison to the manga... but, the manga is priceless due to Naoko Takeuchi's beautifully refined artwork by this time.
    Isn't the live action series meant to be pretty good from a writing stand point? Even if the costumes were less than steller.

Isn't the live action series meant to be pretty good from a writing stand point? Even if the costumes were less than steller.
    Yes!

Surprisingly, the live-action series is highly regarded - if not a bit cheesy - and the movies are also well received.

I have never watched the live action series to completion, but it is definitely a fun show somewhat in the vein of a more adult-oriented Power Rangers.

What's really funny, is that the blonde characters, Minako and Usagi, have dark hair until they use their "Venus Power / Moon Prism Power Make Up!" to transform... then they become blondes, super saiyan style.

BEWBS

None or small boobs .

Neither the small stocky framed nor the fattest of the princesses had breasts in proportion to their size . 34DD is the average bra size in the United States. How can so many girls in one cartoon not have one proper body type representation ? Was headlights cancelled on twitter ?

Alien puberty and Etherian Body shapes is a brand new field of quantum science it seems .
    Last edited by Lokus; March 25, 2021 at 04:16am.

Yes!

Surprisingly, the live-action series is highly regarded - if not a bit cheesy - and the movies are also well received.

I have never watched the live action series to completion, but it is definitely a fun show somewhat in the vein of a more adult-oriented Power Rangers.

What's really funny, is that the blonde characters, Minako and Usagi, have dark hair until they use their "Venus Power / Moon Prism Power Make Up!" to transform... then they become blondes, super saiyan style.
    Not sure if you are into any Tokusatsu shows besides Ultraman, but the head writer of the live action Sailor Moon (Yasuko Kobayashi) also wrote some very well regarded seasons of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider (especially Kamen Rider OOO).

Although apparently the quality of her work went down a lot from the mid 2010's onwards.
    Last edited by A Dalek; March 29, 2021 at 07:32am.

Not sure if you are into any Tokusatsu shows besides Ultraman, but the head writer of the live action Sailor Moon (Yasuko Kobayashi) also wrote some very well regarded seasons of Super Sentai (especially Kamen Rider OOO).

Although apparently the quality of her work went down a lot from the mid 2010's onwards.
    Not so much her tokusatsu episodes, but she has been a lead writer on some of my favorite anime.

The Cyborg 009 reboot, the Guyver reboot, Casshern Sins, and - probably one of my all-time favorite properties - Hirohiko Araki's JoJo no Kimyouna Bouken, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Sailor Moon Eternal AMV

Here is a really cool AMV that uses the original lyrics from the 90's Sailor Moon show.

Interestingly Adora's Japanese VA was actualy in Sailor Moon Crystal (she wasn't playing a main character though).

Heroic Warrior

Just wanted to say you were right! Sailor Moon Eternal parts 1 and 2 will be on Netflix starting on June 3rd! I hope they have both subtitles and dubbed versions.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Just wanted to say you were right! Sailor Moon Eternal parts 1 and 2 will be on Netflix starting on June 3rd! I hope they have both subtitles and dubbed versions.
    Yes!!

I'm so excited!

If Netflix follows protocol, it should have original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles, or English dubbed audio using the VAs from the first three seasons of Crystal...

Epic teaser: