Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toys R Us to return... Again!

I think we should be cautiously optimistic about the re-rebirth of TRU.

I don't think we'll ever see the square footage of the old TRU in a modern b&m store. If I'm not mistaken, the current owner's original plan was to bring back the TRU brand and related trademarks as "pop up" stores located inside of other retailers. For example, you go inside Target and their toy aisle has been rebranded "Toys R Us" and there are pictures of Geoffrey the Giraffe everywhere. That might work with struggling (defunct? near defunct?) stores like K-Mart or Sears, but I doubt the Big Two would want to share their considerable toy aisle profits with a third party who doesn't do much except provide them with cardboard kiosks. Maybe Meijers or Dollar General.

And let us not forget that while Mitt Romney & Company's vulture capitalist group desecrated the corpse of dear Geoffrey, their acquisition of the company came about because it was mismanaged for years into insolvency. I believe it was Dan at Toy Galaxy that reenacted TRU's approach to ecommerce by saying "in the late nineties, they created a website that consisted of pictures of their stores (but offered no merchandise for sale) then sat back and did nothing, and wondered when they could start cashing those sweet Internet Money checks."

Toys R Us's best shot for success would be as an internet retailer. Parents and normies recognize TRU. They're comfortable giving money to TRU instead of, say, newfangled companies like BBTS or Megalopolis or Entertainment Earth. But they would have to price competitively. TRU's biggest problem was always that they could never compete with Sears or K-Mart or WM in pricing, so they sold an "experience." Kinda hard to sell a virtual experience, so I'm not sure how they'll proceed.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    And let us not forget that while Mitt Romney & Company's vulture capitalist group desecrated the corpse of dear Geoffrey, their acquisition of the company came about because it was mismanaged for years into insolvency. I believe it was Dan at Toy Galaxy that reenacted TRU's approach to ecommerce by saying "in the late nineties, they created a website that consisted of pictures of their stores (but offered no merchandise for sale) then sat back and did nothing, and wondered when they could start cashing those sweet Internet Money checks."
    I have to believe that after going bankrupt and closing down the top levels of management that previously existed were fired or let go. I also believe that if they're trying to re-emerge, it has to be under some new vision.

I'm also optimistic that toy companies may give TRU some help. It stands to reason that a store specifically designed to sell toys would be a plus for them over a store that sells everything. But absolutely they have to make being able to order online a priority. Heck I buy from Wal-mart.com all the time and rarely go into the stores.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken, the current owner's original plan was to bring back the TRU brand and related trademarks as "pop up" stores located inside of other retailers. For example, you go inside Target and their toy aisle has been rebranded "Toys R Us" and there are pictures of Geoffrey the Giraffe everywhere. That might work with struggling (defunct? near defunct?) stores like K-Mart or Sears, but I doubt the Big Two would want to share their considerable toy aisle profits with a third party who doesn't do much except provide them with cardboard kiosks. Maybe Meijers or Dollar General.
    They did do this in 2018. It was called Geoffery's Toy Box and was inside ~600 Kroger stores in Novemeber and December that year.

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    They did do this in 2018. It was called Geoffery's Toy Box and was inside ~600 Kroger stores in Novemeber and December that year.
    I had no idea they actually went through with it. Sounds like it was a massive hit.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    I think we should be cautiously optimistic about the re-rebirth of TRU.

I don't think we'll ever see the square footage of the old TRU in a modern b&m store.
    Exactly. Retail is dying, and the old days of a huge chain of toy stores in every State is over. It's a shame but just a modern reality. The last chance to save that Toys"R"Us was in early 2018, but I doubt it would have survived intact after what has happened the last year.

I suppose one can always go to Ontario to visit a TRU store...

For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I still feel like they can offer a different shopping experience. I think Toy's R Us potentially can set up their business to where you enjoy just going in the store.

Take Gamestop. I'm not a huge fan of their business practice but I actually enjoy going in to a game stop and looking around.

Walmart
    ? I hate going there. I'm probably missing out on the Origins line just because I never feel like stopping and just going in to look at the toys. It's always crowded and always a disappointing experience.

Walmart and Target both very often have bare or minimal items on the shelf in the toy departments. You'd have a hard time finding a worse stocked department in either store than the toy isle.
    It is in most cases. Of course they lack competition like they once did, for kids they just offer the convenience of when mom is shopping to get them something (not all supermarkets have a toy aisle). for adults aside from wanting to see the product in hand the internet is probably better.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It is in most cases. Of course they lack competition like they once did, for kids they just offer the convenience of when mom is shopping to get them something (not all supermarkets have a toy aisle). for adults aside from wanting to see the product in hand the internet is probably better.
    I know there's people that would rather shop by internet but I also know a LOT of people that would enjoy browsing a toy store. The best part is that, unlike internet, you may see things that interest you that you would have otherwise never been looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I suppose one can always go to Ontario to visit a TRU store...

https://youtu.be/E2-EJtNqh2w
    Not for a while - all non-essential retail is firmly locked down here...

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I know there's people that would rather shop by internet but I also know a LOT of people that would enjoy browsing a toy store. The best part is that, unlike internet, you may see things that interest you that you would have otherwise never been looking for.
    When I was visiting the fiance this past week, I went into target and saw AEW Riho, which I thought looked like a decent 6 inch figure to put in with some of my others in that size. When I looked up on the internet about her, the pictures of her face were awful and people were saying they would never buy the figure (aside from the closed mouth chase). Video reviews confirmed my suspicion that the online pre show pictures weren't good.

I had also gotten the Play Arts Kai Remake Tifa, and most weren't happy with the face she was given in the box (the back up isn't as bad). I do have the backup face, but mine didn't seem to be as bad as what I saw online (just prefer that face).

But that is kind of also what I would like to see them do is, companies that walmart/target aren't going to have on the shelf. Also TRU is kind of something that they probably needed to have fewer in most of the cities they were in.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

But that is kind of also what I would like to see them do is, companies that walmart/target aren't going to have on the shelf. Also TRU is kind of something that they probably needed to have fewer in most of the cities they were in.

That was a huge thing when I was a kid. TRU directly set themselves up in a war of territory with KB Toys. If KB opened a store in my mall, TRU opened one next door, with more square footage. If KB built a standalone, TRU would build one in the same complex. There were four TRUs one one boulevard in my town, all a few miles apart. The one we nicknamed "the haunted TRU" (because it was always empty and quiet) was located within 1500 ft of a KB Toys, Child's World, Toy World and a Wal-Mart.

Of those five stores, Toys R Us was always the most expensive. We would go to TRU and if I saw something I wanted (and had the money) my dad would make me wait and walk across the street to buy it at Wal-Mart. If WM didn't have it, KB Toys did, and it was still cheaper than TRU.

I had also gotten the Play Arts Kai Remake Tifa, and most weren't happy with the face she was given in the box (the back up isn't as bad). I do have the backup face, but mine didn't seem to be as bad as what I saw online (just prefer that face).

So that's cool that seeing something in hand helped you purchase something you otherwise might not have purchased. And I agree, I think they should really be about the specialized toy lines and exclusives. I also think they should keep it small and put more focus on video games and anime/manga items you wouldn't see anywhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

Of those five stores, Toys R Us was always the most expensive. We would go to TRU and if I saw something I wanted (and had the money) my dad would make me wait and walk across the street to buy it at Wal-Mart. If WM didn't have it, KB Toys did, and it was still cheaper than TRU.
    I see what you're saying but right now a ton of people shop at Publix (grocery store chain) ALWAYS over Wal-mart. Publix is much more expensive overall but you have better quality items, better service, items Wal-mart would never carry, in a much cleaner and well run store. It's worth the extra costs to a lot of people.