Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Power-Con 2021 - September 11 & 12 - Anaheim, CA

Quote Originally Posted by yeahthatsme1973 View Post
    Interesting... what would you have preferred? I only ever drew him with Fakerís colors as a kid.
    I'd have went with purple cat with yellow armor.

To me that choice would be most appropriate, as Faker was blue (the color of Skeletor) and orange is blue's complimentary color just as my preferred Dupli-Cat color would be purple (the color of Skeletor's cat [Panthor]) and yellow is purple's complimentary color.
    There's a YT channel "PlayerDez" --- a toy-related show I help with... and here's a link to a He-Man parody video LIVING IN ETERNIA part 1 on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ySlu94Yfg This video is currently being re-edited for a full re-release in 2021. Shout-out to animator He-Bro!
    GOOD JOURNEY, ORGERS!

Heroic Warrior
    Really like the Secrets of Grayskull accessories pack
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I think the Secrets of Grayskull accessories pack steals the show. Wonder what background they've come up with for the space suit guy? Second is Faker and Dupli-Cat. The box artwork will probably be insane for that one. Must admit, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Hordak pack. The biggest positive I take from that is knowing there're figures of Grizzlor and a Horde Trooper coming relatively soon.

Iím very surprised, in a good way, by the exclusives being offered this year. Itís real pity for us Australians to attend the con under normal circumstances let alone with Covid.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Interesting... what would you have preferred? I only ever drew him with Faker’s colors as a kid.
    My issue with Faker and Dupli-Cat sharing a color scheme is twofold:

1. He-Man and Battle Cat do not share a color scheme, so for the sake of consistency, I do not think Faker and Dupli-Cat should share one either.

2. If Faker and Dupli-Cat share a color scheme, there is not enough color contrast between the characters when Faker is mounted on Dupli-Cat, making them look like one blue object.

That being said, since Battle Cat has a complementary color scheme, I think Dupli-Cat should also have a complementary color scheme. I am open to what complementary color scheme that is, so long as it is not the same as Battle Cat (green/red) or Faker (blue/orange). I think magenta/chartreuse could be good, but it is very similar to Panthor, whom I always imagined Faker would use as his mount anyway.

Or perhaps there is a completely different color scheme that would be better altogether. I do not necessarily know what it should be, only that I do not like what it currently is. It does not seem to follow the He-Man/Battle Cat coloring convention, nor does it appear to be applying the He-Man-to-Faker coloring convention to Dupli-Cat. It is just kind of lazily applying the Faker colors to Dupli-Cat, and calling it a day.

I just think there is a more visually interesting choice that could be made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post
    I'd have went with purple cat with yellow armor.

To me that choice would be most appropriate, as Faker was blue (the color of Skeletor) and orange is blue's complimentary color just as my preferred Dupli-Cat color would be purple (the color of Skeletor's cat [Panthor]) and yellow is purple's complimentary color.
    If we rotate the color wheel 60 degrees clockwise, the Battle Cat color scheme becomes violet (purple) tiger, orange-yellow stripes, and yellow saddle. That could be pretty cool. I aimed for a complementary color scheme with secondary colors (magenta tiger, yellow-orange stripes, and chartreuse saddle), because yellow can be very dominant, and any combination with it can become garish. But I like something like this better.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think magenta/chartreuse could be good, but it is very similar to Panthor, whom I always imagined Faker would use as his mount anyway.
    It occurred to me that Screeech, the evil counterpart to Zoar, is actually a machine fashioned to appear as a falcon; the same way Faker, the evil counterpart to He-Man, is actually a machine fashioned to appear as a man. It might be interesting if Panthor, the evil counterpart to Battle Cat, was likewise a machine fashioned to appear as a panther, and would therefore, be a fitting mount for Faker.

Amazing!

After all these years, so happy to receive a Grayskull space suit figure!

Also, the Spirit of Grayskull from the early mini-comics!

Look forward to news on how us Aussies who cannot travel to the Con may be able to acquire these beautiful looking items.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    Classics lore should stay in classics.
    I'm glad someone said it. For every one cool idea classics had with its lore it feels like it had eight dumb ones. Very thankful that only those good ideas seem to be sticking... so far.
    Let's talk Mega Construx!

Oh MAN, those are awesome! I gotta get all of that stuff, for sure.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

My issue with Faker and Dupli-Cat sharing a color scheme is twofold:

1. He-Man and Battle Cat do not share a color scheme, so for the sake of consistency, I do not think Faker and Dupli-Cat should share one either.

2. If Faker and Dupli-Cat share a color scheme, there is not enough color contrast between the characters when Faker is mounted on Dupli-Cat, making them look like one blue object.

That being said, since Battle Cat has a complementary color scheme, I think Dupli-Cat should also have a complementary color scheme. I am open to what complementary color scheme that is, so long as it is not the same as Battle Cat (green/red) or Faker (blue/orange). I think magenta/chartreuse could be good, but it is very similar to Panthor, whom I always imagined Faker would use as his mount anyway.

Or perhaps there is a completely different color scheme that would be better altogether. I do not necessarily know what it should be, only that I do not like what it currently is. It does not seem to follow the He-Man/Battle Cat coloring convention, nor does it appear to be applying the He-Man-to-Faker coloring convention to Dupli-Cat. It is just kind of lazily applying the Faker colors to Dupli-Cat, and calling it a day.

I just think there is a more visually interesting choice that could be made.

- - - Updated - - -

If we rotate the color wheel 60 degrees clockwise, the Battle Cat color scheme becomes violet (purple) tiger, orange-yellow stripes, and yellow saddle. That could be pretty cool. I aimed for a complementary color scheme with secondary colors (magenta tiger, yellow-orange stripes, and chartreuse saddle), because yellow can be very dominant, and any combination with it can become garish. But I like something like this better.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this:

It occurred to me that Screeech, the evil counterpart to Zoar, is actually a machine fashioned to appear as a falcon; the same way Faker, the evil counterpart to He-Man, is actually a machine fashioned to appear as a man. It might be interesting if Panthor, the evil counterpart to Battle Cat, was likewise a machine fashioned to appear as a panther, and would therefore, be a fitting mount for Faker.
    I too would have preferred a different and complimentary color scheme. I understand why they did one that's nearly the same, but if this were done in the original line it would have likely been quite different. At least the blue is a bit different and silver and yellow help make it a bit different too.
    Powered Convoy -Owner and Propreitor of the Skele-Store,
    offering a small range of stock, and the worst prices on the Net!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by poweredconvoy View Post
    I too would have preferred a different and complimentary color scheme. I understand why they did one that's nearly the same, but if this were done in the original line it would have likely been quite different. At least the blue is a bit different and silver and yellow help make it a bit different too.
    As a kid, I always figured that Faker was blue, because people (at least white people) appeared blue in photo negatives. I figure that Duplicat should be whatever colours a photonegative Battle Cat would be.

Given enough time I'm sure I could dig out some old photo negatives of Battle Cat from Christmas '82.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    As a kid, I always figured that Faker was blue, because people (at least white people) appeared blue in photo negatives. I figure that Duplicat should be whatever colours a photonegative Battle Cat would be.

Given enough time I'm sure I could dig out some old photo negatives of Battle Cat from Christmas '82.
    Itíd be pink/magenta with blue stripes

Court Magician
    It’d be pink/magenta with blue stripes
    I can dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    For every one cool idea classics had with its lore it feels like it had eight dumb ones. Very thankful that only those good ideas seem to be sticking... so far.
    That's the point.

Love or hate what Scott did... if one idea is taken forward then it was worth it, and we can move into the future with all the fluidity that any franchise has.

- - - Updated - - -

For people to reference different Dupli-Cat color schemes:

battle cat diffrent 4a33ba8384bbca13.jpg

As you can see, my art edit program couldn't match Panthor's color perfectly (without leaving the armor color inversion behind), but I gave two purplish examples for Dupli-Cat anyway.... interestingly, the corresponding inverted/complimentary colors of those cat's armors are pretty diverse colors of a green and a yellow.

- - - Updated - - -

And one more mock-up draft using the simpler MOTU vintage Panthor. I suppose should have used the MOTUO Panthor but I rushed into it...

download.jpg
    There's a YT channel "PlayerDez" --- a toy-related show I help with... and here's a link to a He-Man parody video LIVING IN ETERNIA part 1 on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ySlu94Yfg This video is currently being re-edited for a full re-release in 2021. Shout-out to animator He-Bro!
    GOOD JOURNEY, ORGERS!

Nice to see these. The robot space suit is a great idea and the Grayskull spirit smoke is cool too. But 150 USD for a sorta-Filmation blue Hordak...?

*glances at Super7 5.5 Filmation Hordak on his shelf*

...yeah, I think I'll pass.

I see people not digging Dupli-Cat's colors. For me, I don't like how symmetrical it is. I think it would look more interesting if it was only one side of the face that was robotic. And I would have preferred 1 of the front legs and 1 of the back legs to be robotic instead of both front legs. Maybe they could have made it 1 lower leg and 1 upper leg. If they could have budgeted just 2 more tooled pieces, he would have looked great with 1 entirely robotic leg, 1 leg with robotic lower leg, 1 leg with robotic upper leg, and 1 entirely animal leg. Just my 2 cents.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post
    For people to reference different Dupli-Cat color schemes:

battle cat diffrent 4a33ba8384bbca13.jpg

As you can see, my art edit program couldn't match Panthor's color perfectly (without leaving the armor color inversion behind), but I gave two purplish examples for Dupli-Cat anyway.... interestingly, the corresponding inverted/complimentary colors of those cat's armors are pretty diverse colors of a green and a yellow.
    I like both one and two. One is probably the most "correct," but I actually like two more.

The faker battle cat is the correct color for a battle cat that faker owns. Just like a scareglow battle cat would be glow in the dark or a mossman battle cat would be green and flocked.

The BC cat homages would reflect the riders hence calling them *insert character name* battlecat, otherewise they would just ride a normal BC into battle.

If you want an inverse or other color of battle cat then it wouldn't be a faker battlecat.

Similar to bizarro superman when he was on a planet of bizarros. The people and everything were all fashioned after bizarro, not just opposites of what they were.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Similar to bizarro superman when he was on a planet of bizarros. The people and everything were all fashioned after bizarro, not just opposites of what they were.
    With no other Fakers in MOTU canon its impossible to say if every Faker should be blue or if they should each be their own unique color. At any rate Faker skin is blue and cats are covered in fur so Dulpli-Cat should not be blue, unless someone shaved him.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/19/2021

I like both one and two. One is probably the most "correct," but I actually like two more.
    Cool. I was curious what you and others thought.

For some reason, Faker's cat color scheme is something I'm obsessing over, so-to-speak.

I am one of those guys that can appreciate all types of canon including fan-canon.... I also respect official canon for what it is... and Dupli-cat as something "official" is pretty neat to see happen.

As far as how MOTU things look with color schemes... I'm always for the garish colors.... the brighter/hotter the colors, the cooler I think the figure looks.

Even on Ninjor or Stinkor.... make the non-black colors pop as much as possible... "Bright orange" "Blood red"

now THAT said.... with something like Faker/Dupli-Cat... IF we are going to go with the (MOTUC lore?) idea that Faker is supposed to be part of Skeletor's scheme to misrepresent He-Man as a lying Gar... then a cat similar to what Skeletor rides would make enough sense.... same with Joe's well-known Copy-Cat custom which is simply a robot Battle Cat whose "robotness" is exposed to differentiate the two.

I like that canon, so at first I liked the yellow armor because it looked crazier (I even considered the pinker looking one) but due to what seemed most appropriate after I inverted the more simply colored purple vintage toy, I decided I like a purple battle cate with the appropriate hot blue stripes with a brighter green saddle to compliment the darker purple better than the actual Panthor saddle.

If Faker's lore is redefined in Revelations, my Dupli-Cat preferences might change.

I like the names "Copy-Cat" and the official one "Dupli-Cat" but if it was me? I would have named the cat "Forger".

Faker doesn't have a "Man" in his name and isn't particularly witty. And the team of "Faker and Forger" just sounds cool to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    The faker battle cat is the correct color for a battle cat that faker owns...

I like your reasoning here... it seems to be more of a "branding" approach... but as a resourceful storyteller, I could roll with a corporate approach.
    GOOD JOURNEY, ORGERS!

Dupli-Cat could have been painted like a realistic earth tiger in homage to the original Big Jim toy. The joke here would be that on Eternia, these cats are green or purple and what we think of a normal looking tiger would be the fake unrealistic looking cat on that planet.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Dupli-Cat could have been painted like a realistic earth tiger in homage to the original Big Jim toy. The joke here would be that on Eternia, these cats are green or purple and what we think of a normal looking tiger would be the fake unrealistic looking cat on that planet.
    Or all black as an homage to the Tarzan panther that Big Jim toy used the mold from!

Bang Your Head
    Quote Originally Posted by xTIMMYxCOREx View Post
    Or all black as an homage to the Tarzan panther that Big Jim toy used the mold from!
    It would be the Big Jim mold that the Tarzan panther used the mold from ...

I love ALL the exclusives shown and plan on getting all of them, but the ones I can't wait to get my hands on are Grizzlor and the Spirit of Grayskull. I just hope they don't sell out too fast

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    With no other Fakers in MOTU canon its impossible to say if every Faker should be blue or if they should each be their own unique color. At any rate Faker skin is blue and cats are covered in fur so Dulpli-Cat should not be blue, unless someone shaved him.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Wasn't there a blue Faker Teela somewhere? The Minis?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Wasn't there a blue Faker Teela somewhere? The Minis?
    I don't recall a Faker Teela.