Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1700

Thread: Power-Con 2021 - September 11 & 12 - Anaheim, CA

Oh man, Power Con within driving distance! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    On behalf of those with a fear of flyingÖ..THANK YOU!

I live just north of Buffalo so guess whatÖÖsee you there!

My first power-con!
    Yes me too haha. Thereís no way I can survive on a plane from NY to California. Ohio on the other hand is very doable for me. Itís an 8 hour drive and havenít ruled that out yet. This will be my first!
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

While the shift from being a MOTU con is a bit jarring, this does look interesting. I collect a good few figures and dolls, been feeling like comic cons these last few years have been missing something in terms of toys unless it's Neca or Super7, so I'm curious what Powercon 2022 has in store. 100% understand why it's offputting to some though, especially when someone like me is in the minority and y'know, it was the one and only MOTU con, what more can be said there?
    Last edited by Kydv404; December 7, 2021 at 09:18pm.

There's a lot of factors behind the change. I can't and won't go into most of them but there's a few things I'll address....

We've gone about as far as we can with Power-Con in its current format. We're starting to get into a lot of wash/rinse/repeat with guests and legacy programming. As one person on social media said, there's only so many times you can ask Mark Taylor what kind of sandwich he's had to eat.

To elaborate a bit on what some people have pointed out, one goal I have as a MOTU fan is more exposure for MOTU. And one thing I've learned over the years is while cartoons are cool, the MOTU toys are what are truly engage the fans long-term and fuel this hobby.

With the new direction for Power-Con, we get two things:
    1. Many fans of MOTU are fans of other lines they actively collect. This gives them the chance to enjoy those other lines as well.
    2. We at Power-Con get a chance to promote MOTU to more collectors who will be coming to Power-Con due to other toy interests. And it works both ways so everyone wins.

I'm very excited about the show. To the fans that are disappointed, I apologize if you feel I've let you down. But I hope in time you'll see what we're working to achieve. And for those who are on board, I really appreciate it and I hope you enjoy what 2022 has to offer!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Being in Wisconsin, this gives me a choice of driving or flying. Very quick flight, or about an 8.5 hour drive, and can carpool with friends if they are interested. Iím on board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Very exciting that this is going to be in Ohio! Looking forward to my first Power Con!

Well it was a fun run, but I won't be paying for a flight and hotel accommodations to go to a convention in Ohio... Good luck and God bless to it, and I'm happy for those that this makes it easier to attend, power-con was/is always a fun con to go to cause it's usually without drama, and little to no fuss. Good journey y'all.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Iíll be attending next year. I was planning to fly out but now I can drive. Funny how that works out sometimes. Iím not complaining, though! Looking forward to it!

Court Magician

Score!

Iím so excited itís in my home city next year! While I donít post much on the boards, Iím looking forward to meeting other fans. I hope/am sure there will be some meet ups for the .org for us fans to get together.

I'm very slightly torn...I am THRILLED that it will be 2500 miles closer to me next year!! Pretty much a guarantee that I will attend...BUT, I'm not sure how I feel that it will no longer be MOTU exclusive. While I think it would be fantastic that Val would have more sponsorship opportunities, and alleviate some of the burden he has to bear, I kind of always loved the idea of having our own Con just for MOTU. But I guess as long as we don't lose any panels, guests, or exclusives that made Power-Con so great, I can see how opening up to other brands could actually make it a better experience. Either way, I'll be there to find out first hand!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Well it was a fun run, but I won't be paying for a flight and hotel accommodations to go to a convention in Ohio... Good luck and God bless to it, and I'm happy for those that this makes it easier to attend, power-con was/is always a fun con to go to cause it's usually without drama, and little to no fuss. Good journey y'all.
    This is exactly how I always felt being on the East Coast. Ohio isn't exactly in my back yard, but close enough to guarantee attendance. The Greater Columbus Convention Center is a really great venue, and very close to some cool attractions. I definitely appreciate having the next one closer to me.

Heroic Warrior
    I find it slightly odd this change is being made to Power-Con right when MOTU is on the eve of becoming bigger than its been since the 80s. We've had Revelation with hopefully a second season to come, and the new CGI toon on Netflix. But biggest of all is that the live-action film is happening at Netflix and, all being well, according to director Adam Nee it will be filming in the spring. I've been following the crew on IG and Linkedin and trust me guys, the film is happening. Go and look at the thread over in the Media section, and in the last few pages I've been offering updates. I mean yes, I get that the film has been an on-off thing for years and has become a bit of a running gag, but now the evidence is definitely pointing to it happening. And we're not just talking a small affair, either. Itís going to be a really big budget film. Many of the crewmembers are people who have worked on mega blockbuster films, like the Marvel films and whatnot. Netflix just haven't announced it yet, which they are famous for doing until really late in to the game. So yeah, I'm not sure I completely get this move right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I find it slightly odd this change is being made to Power-Con right when MOTU is on the eve of becoming bigger than its been since the 80s. We've had Revelation with hopefully a second season to come, and the new CGI toon on Netflix. But biggest of all is that the live-action film is happening at Netflix and, all being well, according to director Adam Nee it will be filming in the spring. I've been following the crew on IG and Linkedin and trust me guys, the film is happening. Go and look at the thread over in the Media section, and in the last few pages I've been offering updates. I mean yes, I get that the film has been an on-off thing for years and has become a bit of a running gag, but now the evidence is definitely pointing to it happening. And we're not just talking a small affair, either. Itís going to be a really big budget film. Many of the crewmembers are people who have worked on mega blockbuster films, like the Marvel films and whatnot. Netflix just haven't announced it yet, which they are famous for doing until really late in to the game. So yeah, I'm not sure I completely get this move right now.
    The location change also confuses me. Power Con tried the east coast several years back in NYC and it was a failure, after which it was stated that PC would stay in San Diego not only because a lot of the con infrastructure is in place, but also to keep costs low in terms of getting high profile celebrity guests to attend, the majority of which live in California. What changed in that sense?

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    The location change also confuses me. Power Con tried the east coast several years back in NYC and it was a failure, after which it was stated that PC would stay in San Diego not only because a lot of the con infrastructure is in place, but also to keep costs low in terms of getting high profile celebrity guests to attend, the majority of which live in California. What changed in that sense?
    The wording of the annoucement suggested to me that Power Con is shifting away from "high profile celebrity guests" to focus more on creators marketing their products. From the announcement: "...the current offerings from some of today’s best companies. ... And you will get to meet creators behind a number of your cherished toy lines. ... Including upstarts, independent studios, and some of the biggest names in toys.."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    The wording of the annoucement suggested to me that Power Con is shifting away from "high profile celebrity guests" to focus more on creators marketing their products. From the announcement: "...the current offerings from some of today’s best companies. ... And you will get to meet creators behind a number of your cherished toy lines. ... Including upstarts, independent studios, and some of the biggest names in toys.."
    Which makes sense with Hasbro and Kenner are/were East Coast companies so I'm sure the creators from at least these two toy companies are closer to Ohio than California.

Im excited as i will probably be able to go since in the east coast and i can drive there. Excited

Widget
    If you want to know about the direction that Mattel is headed towards, go to creations.mattel.com. Personally, some of the offerings are cool, but most of it, not so much. I know several people who dislike the toy lines being jumbled together, but weíre just collectors. Powercon exclusives used to be just that, exclusive to the convention. I donít know about anyone else, but I had no idea Mattel would be offering these on their site the day after Powercon ended. If Val had no idea that was happening, then Mattel just threw shade on the convention and the MOTU fans.

Quote Originally Posted by esjayare1 View Post
    If you want to know about the direction that Mattel is headed towards, go to creations.mattel.com. Personally, some of the offerings are cool, but most of it, not so much. I know several people who dislike the toy lines being jumbled together, but we’re just collectors. Powercon exclusives used to be just that, exclusive to the convention. I don’t know about anyone else, but I had no idea Mattel would be offering these on their site the day after Powercon ended. If Val had no idea that was happening, then Mattel just threw shade on the convention and the MOTU fans.

That's a good point - perhaps most, if not all, future exclusives will be offered only on Mattel's site. I guess I'm sort of ok with that, but it does render PC kind of irrelevant if that's the case going forward (which could very well be the reasoning behind MOTU getting sidelined at it's own convention next year). I hope Mattel has something more impressive than usual planned for MOTU's 40th anniversary next year.

I think you're right that they threw shade at PC this year. Not just by offering the same exclusives with much cheaper and faster shipping, but also by waiting until the last minute to announce that they weren't even going to send anyone in person to host the live reveals panel but rather just send in a pre-recorded video. There was a lot of justifiable grumbling about that - after all, why book time time off and spend thousands of dollars on travel, accomodation, transportation, food, event tickets, entertainment, etc to sit in a room to watch a video that you could watch at home at no cost? They did the con dirty, just like they did Super7 dirty. Looks very poor on Mattel's part. In light of that, I can't say I blame Val too much for pivoting the con in a different direction.

We're a long way from the days of MOTU Classics peak years, when there was so much energy and excitement leading up to con reveals...say what you will about Scott, but he was by far the most dynamic brand manager MOTU ever had, and knew exactly how to build anticipation and interaction with the fandom. That's been sorely lacking for the last 5 years.
    Last edited by Durendal; December 8, 2021 at 05:27pm.

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    The wording of the annoucement suggested to me that Power Con is shifting away from "high profile celebrity guests" to focus more on creators marketing their products. From the announcement: "...the current offerings from some of todayís best companies. ... And you will get to meet creators behind a number of your cherished toy lines. ... Including upstarts, independent studios, and some of the biggest names in toys.."
    It sounds like Toyfair but for consumers which could be cool.
    cogito ergo doleo

Whoa, wait, 2022 Powercon is in Ohio? Holy cow...I think I may be able to make this! I am in NJ...its around 6 hours from me

That's a good point - perhaps most, if not all, future exclusives will be offered only on Mattel's site. I guess I'm sort of ok with that, but it does render PC kind of irrelevant if that's the case going forward (which could very well be the reasoning behind MOTU getting sidelined at it's own convention next year). I hope Mattel has something more impressive than usual planned for MOTU's 40th anniversary next year.

I think you're right that they threw shade at PC this year. Not just by offering the same exclusives with much cheaper and faster shipping, but also by waiting until the last minute to announce that they weren't even going to send anyone in person to host the live reveals panel but rather just send in a pre-recorded video. There was a lot of justifiable grumbling about that - after all, why book time time off and spend thousands of dollars on travel, accomodation, transportation, food, event tickets, entertainment, etc to sit in a room to watch a video that you could watch at home at no cost? They did the con dirty, just like they did Super7 dirty. Looks very poor on Mattel's part. In light of that, I can't say I blame Val too much for pivoting the con in a different direction.

We're a long way from the days of MOTU Classics peak years, when there was so much energy and excitement leading up to con reveals...say what you will about Scott, but he was by far the most dynamic brand manager MOTU ever had, and knew exactly how to build anticipation and interaction with the fandom. That's been sorely lacking for the last 5 years.
    Couldnít have said it better. Mattel just keeps being jerks and ToyGuru was the one who got me collecting US toys again (I was in a chogokin only kick previously)

I think you're right that they threw shade at PC this year. Not just by offering the same exclusives with much cheaper and faster shipping, but also by waiting until the last minute to announce that they weren't even going to send anyone in person to host the live reveals panel but rather just send in a pre-recorded video. There was a lot of justifiable grumbling about that - after all, why book time time off and spend thousands of dollars on travel, accomodation, transportation, food, event tickets, entertainment, etc to sit in a room to watch a video that you could watch at home at no cost? They did the con dirty, just like they did Super7 dirty.
    Eh, I'd say the pandemic did the con dirty, not Mattel. I imagine the last minute pull out was probably more due to a company mandate about not having their staff attend large indoor gatherings than it was about them not thinking Power-Con was worth their time.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Eh, I'd say the pandemic did the con dirty, not Mattel. I imagine the last minute pull out was probably more due to a company mandate about not having their staff attend large indoor gatherings than it was about them not thinking Power-Con was worth their time.
    Yeah didn't Dark Horse also cancel a panel? I'd blame the pandemic more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    if that was the case they could have live streamed with live Q%As at the end. Instead they did a pre recorded video and no fan questions. It was def was intentional
    cogito ergo doleo

Evil Master of Fluffiness skullking's Avatar
    As someone who had the good fortune to have attended all the in person power-cons, I am glad to see it continue. I am sad that it is no longer MOTU focused, but, I think this will mean more exposure for the con going forward.

The first one will always be my favorite. Highlights being.
    Larry Kenny shedding a tear as he received a standing ovation for yelling 'Thundercats HOOOOO!'
    Roger Sweet and Mark Taylor fighting about who created he-man, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
    MOTU themed drinks at the bar, my favorite being the 'He-man' drink, had a non alcoholic version called the 'Faker'.
    I got to meet Donald Glut, Dean Stefan, & Earl Norem!

The third one (2013) was great too. That was the year it was MOTU, Thundercats, & TMNT. Really fun, and lots of cool guests, and fans.

I probably will not be able to make it out to Ohio for the next one, but I'm happy many others will be able to now. The California conventions were all really fun, and hopefully new fans are going to experience it, and make it something even better.

I don't know if Mattel actually 'Did PC wrong' per say, but it does seem suspicious...

Either way, thank you Val & Co, for all my wonderful Power-con memories. And I wish you the best of luck with the new Ohio location!

Iíve never been to powercon before but was wondering if they were ridiculously overpriced like many other cons? I mean I get why they do it but some are just criminal. I want to know what to expect before I make the trip. Iím aware that vintage prices are through the roof but I went to NYCC this year and asked a price on a carded Dragstor. Guy looked at me with the straightest face and said $795.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP