Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Power-Con 2021 - September 11 & 12 - Anaheim, CA

I get why people are upset about missing out on the secrets of Grayskull set, But it's not like castle grey school is incomplete without those things there just nice little bonuses. I think there's also a good chance that will see that space suit or battle armour or whatever it is eventually just in different coljust in different colours. As for the other sets you don't need blue hordak with a gun arm to complete your collection you don't need knockoff horde troopers to complete your collection and we know that were going to get Griz zler eventually also regular coloured hoard troopers. I can kind of see why people are upset about missing out on Leo Faker and Dupli-cat too But again you don't need them to replicate your vintage collection they're just a nice little bonus.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

Who's to say what you don't need and need for YOUR OWN collection.

And when the castle was specially built with a foot peg, and we got a sorceress that no one would take over the space suit. Yeah, people want that stuff for their collection.

Heroic Warrior
    Now that I have cooled down......was I mad yes....did I cancel all my preorders yes. I have decided I will get what I find in stores now with this line and that's it. I have decided that this line is too difficult to collect and reading what has gone down about death threats is even more reason to step back it's not healthy. As mad as I was I would never repeat never threaten someone's life over a toy. If I was Val this would be the last year to sell exclusives to non attendees BEFORE the con. And this is coming from. Someone who lives on the east coast who cant attend. If I was Val and I was threaten by someone I would end non-attendee sales till after the con and even then I would sell the rest to BBTS to handle.

Heroic Warrior
    This seems very strange to me, as a non American I'm wondering...are these adult men rushing into a store to buy up children's toys? They will then sell them as profit on internet yes?? Why is store manager allowing this?

Most store managers wouldn’t care.

A sale is a sale and how would you stop them anyway? You can’t physically touch them or you’d get sued.

Refuse to process the sale and they’d stand there and yell at you with a camera in your face trying to get you to do or say something to get you fired.

It’s a no win situation especially for the crappy pay they would get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Night Ghast View Post
    This seems very strange to me, as a non American I'm wondering...are these adult men rushing into a store to buy up children's toys? They will then sell them as profit on internet yes?? Why is store manager allowing this?
    They are fighting over Pokémon cards. Gotta catch ‘em all.
    Last edited by Stinkor; May 25, 2021 at 08:48pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    They are fighting over Pokémon cards. Gotta catch ‘em all.
    more like gotta catch these hands
    cogito ergo doleo

If I ever did what I saw in that video I would be so ashamed and embarrassed. If my wife left me for it I would deserve it
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

I've seen the signs in a local Target regarding the suspension of Pokemon card sales. I still have no clue what that is all about. For some weird reason Pokemon cards became super popular during the pandemic. Those cards (or any cards for that matter) never really did it for me so I have no idea. People are strange.

Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    Now that I have cooled down......was I mad yes....did I cancel all my preorders yes. I have decided I will get what I find in stores now with this line and that's it. I have decided that this line is too difficult to collect and reading what has gone down about death threats is even more reason to step back it's not healthy. As mad as I was I would never repeat never threaten someone's life over a toy. If I was Val this would be the last year to sell exclusives to non attendees BEFORE the con. And this is coming from. Someone who lives on the east coast who cant attend. If I was Val and I was threaten by someone I would end non-attendee sales till after the con and even then I would sell the rest to BBTS to handle.
    I sit here reading your post with a smile on my face because the issues you have faced are like Disneyland compared to us overseas collectors. As a 200x collector I feel my collection is very good considering that the only figures I was able to source locally was the wave 1 figures. Every other figure I collected was through hunting eBay, Org members, MV Creations and local toy fares. I’ve literally had to beg, borrow and steal as the saying goes to obtain my collection. As an overseas fan we get left out time and again and pay crazy international postage prices. I’m really perplexed that you would give up collecting over not getting the exclusives.

Heroic Warrior
    So, what’s the status here? Lots of round and round about how it’s not fair, it is fair, you had your chance, you might still have a chance, everyone knew this was inevitable, no one could have known…okay.

We’ve still got lots of people out of luck here as far as getting these items. There’s no reason another small run could not be done aside from stubbornness and a twisted sense of principle. Even if a second run were more expensive, it would be less than the scalper prices which are honestly unreal and disgusting right now. So, if Val isn’t interested in making the reasonable request to Mattel to make its dedicated fans happy, who here has written directly to Mattel about this?

Heroic Warrior
    Basically, they're buying all the Pokemon cards to sell them on eBay. This is in Walmart, which is a massive store that doesn't care who buys how much of anything. Smaller mom and pop stores tend to care more (my local comic shop will only sell one pack a day to anyone who looks like they're over twenty), but not shops like WalMart.

I used to play the Pokemon TCG competitively (from the age of like eight to fifteen, then I did VGC competitively until the pandemic happened) and still have some friends who play, so I can try to offer some insight.

Basically, around summertime, a few things happened. First, a first edition no shadow holo Charizard sold for a record price, which made interest go through the roof, so scalpers/flippers (TCGs are basically the only case where the flipper argument makes sense, as selling, buying, and trading cards is essentially part of the experience) flock to buy them in basically unheard of numbers, which wrecked the ecosystem. In addition to this, YouTube channels that just open pack of Pokemon cards (those have been around basically since YouTube started) have suddenly shot up in popularity. That means their profits from videos have increased, so they're willing to pay insane scalper prices (again, wrecking the delicate ecosystem, meaning kids, collectors, professionals, and flippers can't get them because they have no chance against these people) of like $600 a box because they can make like $10K from a single video where they open a single pack or something. Additionally, a new set of Pokemon cards dropped at the same time, this one featuring a bunch of secret rares (basically, they're packed like one per every other booster box).

I'm glad I stopped playing competitively before this happened. Idk, it's a fun game, but it's not worth all the pain and money (card legality in competitive play caps off at two years to keep the game accessable to newcomers, introduce new gimmicks, and suck money out of people).

This is not only going on in the U.S. but I read a NEWS article on a NEWS site that other countries are seeing this scalper madness too. Japan was mentioned in the article where someone tried to steal tens of thousands of dollars worth of CARDS. In this video these are SCALPERS and NOT collectors. If you look closely they are blindly throwing entire cases and store displays in their carts of CARDS and NOT toys. Obviously, they are just going to throw the entire shelf into their carts and see what they got later at home. Again, these are scalpers next they might try to go buy up all the Lysol wipes or toilet paper out of grocery stores. I bet some of these same guys in the video did that back last year. People were arrested for doing that. Whatever they can quickly sell off for a large profit. For whatever reason (looks like BooperScoop explained some of the Pokemon reasons) over the past several months many things of value and just about anything deemed collectible has been bought up like this by scalpers. Is it the pandemic? Who knows. This is also happening virtually too. There are videos of the Target web site being taken over by bots and then they bought out the entire stock of G.I. Joe figures in a few seconds.

My point was to try to make fellow collectors aware and also people that work in the toy industry aware that this is what is going on out there. A literal RAID of stores for product.

P.S. The manager is the person in the yellow vest running away in the video. They wanted no part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by eightbit View Post
    I've seen the signs in a local Target regarding the suspension of Pokemon card sales. I still have no clue what that is all about. For some weird reason Pokemon cards became super popular during the pandemic. Those cards (or any cards for that matter) never really did it for me so I have no idea. People are strange.
    I saw people camping out at my Target for over 12+ hours to get cards. Then the signs too. According to the news there was a fight that broke out at a Target in Wisconsin over cards. Someone got strangled and someone pulled out a firearm. In response to that these signs went up and sales have been suspended at those retail stores.

Here is one of the news articles about the fight over cards. There was a longer more detailed one talking about other incidents around the world I read but I cannot remember where I read it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/target-halt...050501463.html
    Last edited by MGurlea; May 26, 2021 at 03:35am.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Hey gang. Let's get back on topic here and move the Pokémon discussion to the Other Forums. Thanks.
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...edback-Thread!

Court Magician
    The one thing I'm having a hard time squaring away after mulling it around in my head for several days is Val saying both (paraphrasing) "we had no idea interest was this high" and also "ticket sales are up 30% compared to the previous event (which were nearly double its own previous event)." Those two things seem quite logically impossible to reconcile. And, certainly, not all attendees buy exclusives, but all things being equal, you should expect the same portion of those 30% new attendees to want to purchase as of the first waves of attendees.

Additionally, while exceptionally hard to quantify, COVID has to be considered as a factor that would depress, and not increase, attendance. There's a large portion of the world who remains reluctant to travel (or, as many posters not in the US have noted, unable to travel here). It's astounding to think that this was not considered as a source of latent increased interest in the line; that ticket sales are 30% up, but they're up compared to a year when int'l travel was permitted and there was no reluctance to travel due to a pandemic, then again it should come as no surprise that interest is much higher. At a bare minimum, looking at what % of previous year attendees were from outside the US, and using that (x30%, times the portion who buy exclusives) to estimate non-US interest to help facilitate ordering numbers.

Even the Origins line did not exist at retail at all in 2019, where stores are getting and selling stock quite briskly these days. To not consider that as a potential increased source of interest in the product is stunning.

All things being equal, if in-person ticket sales are up compared to a non-pandemic year that allowed for global travel, but the same # of exclusives were produced, in a year where a massive global product line relaunch did not exist, that seems quite poorly forecast all told.

But that's just the thing I can't square away - this "who could have known interest would be up?" line of response seems wholly incompatible with some pretty rudimentary considerations, including those stated by the same person stating the former.

The one thing continuing to bother me is that this is 6 figures, one vehicle (well, a cat in any case), and two accessories. That's more than a con exclusive, that's a *wave* and then some. It's debatably not a huge step up from last year (LoP was essentially its own wave), but it's still more product that is not available elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wehrmanm View Post
    The one thing I'm having a hard time squaring away after mulling it around in my head for several days is Val saying both (paraphrasing) "we had no idea interest was this high" and also "ticket sales are up 30% compared to the previous event (which were nearly double its own previous event)." Those two things seem quite logically impossible to reconcile. And, certainly, not all attendees buy exclusives, but all things being equal, you should expect the same portion of those 30% new attendees to want to purchase as of the first waves of attendees.

Additionally, while exceptionally hard to quantify, COVID has to be considered as a factor that would depress, and not increase, attendance. There's a large portion of the world who remains reluctant to travel (or, as many posters not in the US have noted, unable to travel here). It's astounding to think that this was not considered as a source of latent increased interest in the line; that ticket sales are 30% up, but they're up compared to a year when int'l travel was permitted and there was no reluctance to travel due to a pandemic, then again it should come as no surprise that interest is much higher. At a bare minimum, looking at what % of previous year attendees were from outside the US, and using that (x30%, times the portion who buy exclusives) to estimate non-US interest to help facilitate ordering numbers.

Even the Origins line did not exist at retail at all in 2019, where stores are getting and selling stock quite briskly these days. To not consider that as a potential increased source of interest in the product is stunning.

All things being equal, if in-person ticket sales are up compared to a non-pandemic year that allowed for global travel, but the same # of exclusives were produced, in a year where a massive global product line relaunch did not exist, that seems quite poorly forecast all told.

But that's just the thing I can't square away - this "who could have known interest would be up?" line of response seems wholly incompatible with some pretty rudimentary considerations, including those stated by the same person stating the former.

The one thing continuing to bother me is that this is 6 figures, one vehicle (well, a cat in any case), and two accessories. That's more than a con exclusive, that's a *wave* and then some. It's debatably not a huge step up from last year (LoP was essentially its own wave), but it's still more product that is not available elsewhere.
    Mattel did not make Grizzlor, Horde troopers the Castle Grayskull Space Suit and a new are for Hordak just for Power-Con. Just like the LOP figures from last year I am certain that we'll be seeing all those figures at retail some time.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

Heroic Warrior

I think you are leaving out the statements perspective related to their place in time. At the time of establishing the exclusives, I’m sure they didn’t realize how great the interest would be, the data on increased ticket sales (not to necessarily coincide with the exclusive sales) just came in last week. I’m sure this data will be useful for next year but it won’t help with any decisions already made on this year’s show.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    I think you are leaving out the statements perspective related to their place in time. At the time of establishing the exclusives, I’m sure they didn’t realize how great the interest would be, the data on increased ticket sales (not to necessarily coincide with the exclusive sales) just came in last week. I’m sure this data will be useful for next year but it won’t help with any decisions already made on this year’s show.
    That's reasonably fair to some degree, but certainly ticket sales are available early enough to planners who could compare early sales trends vs previous years to plan accordingly (e.g., to set vendor rates or try to sell vendors on attending).

The "we had no way to anticipate this much interest" simply seems at odds with a number of pretty simple considerations, some of which were available months ago (that is, not strictly ticket sales). A major red flag for me was something Val indicated about looking at facebook group activity as a proxy for interest. That's a massive miss in terms of analytic accuracy for a whole host of reasons.

But I had my say and don't have any interest in domineering the conversation so that's all I'll say about that.

Heroic Warrior
    As a Non-Attendee I missed the sales window for these PowerCon figures, I also see they are sold out at BBTS. Oh well. All this tells me is that we're getting a Grizzlor & Horde Trooper eventually in the retail line and at this point I'm ok with that. sigh. Not interested in dropping that much cash on basic figures anymore anyways.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Heroic Warrior
    That's reasonably fair to some degree, but certainly ticket sales are available early enough to planners who could compare early sales trends vs previous years to plan accordingly (e.g., to set vendor rates or try to sell vendors on attending).
    I think in a normal year it'd be fair to assume one could look at the rising ticket sales of previous Power-Cons to predict this year's interest, but I think the pandemic would've made that more challenging this year. At the time they were planning how many exclusives to produce it's probably reasonable to assume it was difficult to predict how many would want (or be able) to attend Power-Con, or if there'd be a Power-Con at all. Granted, that wouldn't change the interest level in the exclusives that could still be sold online like last year, but even then one would maybe take the safe route and produce a similar number to last year (which is what I'm assuming was done).

I guess someone here said a good final word to this sold-out thing couple of days ago:

Quote Originally Posted by eightbit View Post
    The bottom line are that attendees AND non-attendees are equally extremely important to Power-Con. Both generate money for the convention to continue to exist and flourish. I think anyone who says "non-attendees aren't genuine fans" or "non-attendees should not be able to buy exclusives"......or "non-attendees should bow to the Power-Con Gods for giving them this opportunity to buy things" really have to stop.

As for "exclusives"...they are just that. Nobody should feel that they are owed exclusives. Nobody should feel like the company or host offering exclusives are evil and hate you just because they have depleted their exclusive inventory and will not offer any more to you.

I get being upset that you didn't get them, but end it at that. Nobody is "owed" them. Remember they are called "exclusives" (and I know I am using that word a lot...and intentionally as that word needs to sink in to some people and understand what it means) because they are limited. They are not for the mass audience. They were offered to the masses in this case....but at a very limited supply. You may get it, you may not.

If I get them, awesome...happy day. If I do not, oh well....other stuff to spend my money on.
    Now, that the selection of (sought-after) characters was a poor choice to be an exclusive, maybe. Also, we can't deny the HIGH demand now on this Franchise, and I'm not talking about the hundreds of He-man and Skeletors overproduced (expecting to cover the demand) hanging in the pegs of Walmart right now, I'm talking about anything with the words: "EXCLUSIVE" or "LIMITED EDITION" which catches the eyes of the damn SCALPERS. That's it. We are in 2021, forget about what happened to this franchise years ago with over produced exclusives. Every time an "EXCLUSIVE" is announced nowadays, the server selling it will likely crash if it's not prepared to the high traffic in a short period of time. And not only because of fans. Many of us are working, busy, maybe sleeping (our friends in Australia), etc. The real problem here are the OPPORTUNISTS and SCALPERS who are NOT collectors, they don't sleep, they have been plaguing all this time several other franchises (see above posts about the Pokémon cards too), that have take this hobby to the brink of craziness, with frustrations and disappointments.

My suggestion to this forum is to create something like "HALL OF SHAME" where we can upload snapshots of eBay Users for everyone to see, be aware, and avoid to overpaid or feed these opportunists, and to help to report them when they violate the terms in those market platforms. Of course, if someone wants a figure badly, and willing to overpay for it, it's his/her money.
    Look what happened to HORDAK Limited edition Mondo. Sold out in 20 minutes, and immediately listed on eBay for $600. While the regular version is still up. The difference in price was ONLY 10 bucks. It was just because it had the words "LIMITED EDITION" that made it a "Gollum precious ring" for SCALPERS.

Now talking back about Origins. I can't deny that I have felt frustrations since day one with this line. It's just too complicated to collect. Watching every time eBay sellers with Multiple figures of the same character like Man-e-Faces, when I couldn't find a single one anywhere nearby. That until I could pre-ordered them in BBTS when available. Same for other figures, and sets. The other day I could "make an offer" to an eBay seller and grab the "Rise of Evil" set for $52 free shipping. No way in hell I was going to pay $ 900 in eBay at the beginning for this set when it started to pop in Target Stores and scalpers / target employees grabbed them all. I knew I had to wait, and be patient. But it is getting to the point that these scalping practices are out of control. And to be honest here on this forum, I am thinking in cancelling my Castle Grayskull pre-order from BBTS (yes I pre-ordered from Walmart in 2020 too, but my order became a ghost. No updates, and just emails warning me that they will cancel it). All and all, I'm not feeling that "excitement" that I guess most of us here who collected Classics felt with the subs. I love the franchise, and will always be my focus for related interesting products to collect. Happy for those who will continue with Origins line (no I'm not that guy that If I don't get them, no one should). Happy to see pictures of these Exclusives when ready. And waiting to see at least the videos of the coming PowerCon too.
    But I guess Origins is done for me and I am moving on. To me, Collecting is an activity that is supposed to bring me JOY and satisfaction. No adding stress and frustrations to my life. Yes, sometimes you could face issues here and there with this hobby, it's not perfect. But nowadays that level of craziness, competing with scalpers, and the Walmart/Target Fiasco, nope. That's not for me.
    Aside note: Yesterday I could grab exclusive Hordak (within those 20 first minutes of the sale), and I ordered the Last available in BBTS Hot Toys Darth Vader 40th year anniversary. Currently, Online purchasing is the way to go for me, and If can get it, GOOD, if not, like eightbit said: "other stuff to spend my money on"
    Last edited by modulok02; May 26, 2021 at 10:43am.

So what happens for they people who walk up to con and buy tickets. Are power con exclusives never available to those? Can you even buy tickets day of show? Or is everything advanced sales?

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    So what happens for they people who walk up to con and buy tickets. Are power con exclusives never available to those? Can you even buy tickets day of show? Or is everything advanced sales?
    I was wondering the same thing. Can attendees who have yet to buy tickets still get the figures?
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

I didn’t think powercon ever focused on having exclusives for the actually convention. I think it’s more about the panels, art work and other vendors……just my assumption of course.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

So when can we expect to see the packaging on these exclusives?