Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1289

Thread: Power-Con 2021 - September 11 & 12 - Anaheim, CA

Why do I have the feeling that Power Con 2022 is going to be huge?

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that Power Con 2022 is going to be huge?
    I think it will be,
    but I can't even think about the programming right now. I'm solely focused on this Chase thing.

Speaking of Chase, they STILL haven't delivered.
    I keep getting the "this will be fixed in 24 to 48 hours". I told a supervisor yesterday that was the THIRD time I've been told it will take 24 to 48 hours, and we've all had enough.
    I'm on the phone with them now. I've never been so frustrated in my entire life. I don't know who the heck is running the show over there but they aren't very good at their job. I hate saying things like that, but this is beyond ridiculous. I can't keep jerking people around with Chase's excuses.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by wehrmanm View Post
    I don't read your post as literally wanting to be thanked, but it's certainly easy to take it that way and criticize you for it - and since you've literally phrased your post this way, it sure is hard to call the people critiquing you for it insincere.

But your general point is this: by purchasing a con exclusive, you're helping someone make money. Certainly Mattel, certainly the Con, maybe some jerk on eBay, too. But, as someone who helps make the Con a profitable event to operate, it sure feels a certain kind of way to be told, in unnecessarily rude, incredibly smarmy terms, that you don't matter. It's like going to Target and buying a bottle of water, then you're told "FOH" by the customer behind you because they have a bottle of water and a lawnmower.

At this point it's important to note that, as much as we might criticize how the exclusives have been handled, Val personally has been incredibly graceful in their posts here. The smarmy tone comes from elsewhere, from El Segundo residents who don't mind overlooking how convenient it is for them to drive to the con and back every day and thus don't have to shell out $1500 on a flight and hotel, to people who are insisting, explicitly or implicitly, that their fandom is "right" and your fandom is "wrong" because you're a completist. Val's been great; wish the same could be said of everyone, that respectful discourse and disagreement could be the nature of dialogue here.

Skeletron makes a fine point that was overlooked in the (deliberate?) misreading of their post: if you buy items sold at Power Con, you are supporting Power Con. It's a bit clumsily stated in spots (sorry, but honestly), and probably misunderstands the revenue streams that go into conferences (sponsorships and vendor booths are most likely the revenue drivers here, and not, as much as it might help make the case for larger print runs, Mattel exclusives).

But buying an exclusive supports the Con, and buying a ticket to the event supports the Con. Buying hotel rooms supports the Con (sure helps them negotiate blocks and better rates).

In general, it's truthful to say "there are ways to support Power Con and keep it running year to year without actually going there." Skeletron is likely one of those people. To have other fans not only tell him he's got sour grapes, and then double down when called on it?

Big ol' yikes.

I think I share some of Skeletron's frustration: I want to give Power Con money, I want to give Mattel money. I want to support the event, and I want to do so in a specific way. That way is not possible now, which is unfortunate. There are potential fixes for that, and while it's not Val's place to speak on that (entirely), it is indeed frustrating that our desire to help make them money is ignored; perhaps, yes, understandable (we're not the only would-be customers), but also, yes, frustrating.

Woven into all this is a discussion of who "real fans" are (are they completists? Con goers? Both or neither?) now, and that's a whole other irksome conversation. Every person who buys an Origins figure contributes to the ecosystem that helps get more to us, whether it's every single variant or someone who only ever buys a He-Man off the Wal-Mart pegs, never having any prior inkling that they hit store shelves for the first time in decades. The moment we start telling people they're doing fandom "right" or "wrong" is the moment, ironically enough, where we truly start doing fandom wrong.
    You are correct, and thank you for pointing this out. I was not literally asking to be thanked. I should have worded that a bit differently. My point was that no one is focusing on the fact that I have happily paid very high prices for Power-Con items and intentionally bought from BBTS to support the con two years in a row. I am only complaining this year because these are 3 extremely desirable exclusives from a line that is now active at retail and they sold out at both Power-Con's site and BBTS in minutes. I will now have to turn to an eBay seller and pay far more than what I have paid in previous years. I honestly expect to pay close to $1000 for all 3 exclusives. And I am lucky enough to be able to do so. Even if the items are offered in a different format down the road, I am an unapologetic completist. I will be purchasing the upcoming single carded LOP figures, but these could never replace the beautiful boxed set from last years Power-Con. I understand that being a completist can cause anxiety for some, but if fans truly want MOTU to survive at retail and beyond, shouldn't the label of completist be a good thing? And taking myself out of this scenario entirely, what about those who desperately want these items to complete their collection's but are on a tighter budget and simply cannot afford what will surely be insane aftermarket prices? Will they become frustrated to the point of moving on to something else. There is certainly no shortage of amazing toy lines out there right now for the 80's toy fan to choose from. All said, I stand behind my original statement that if Power-Con cannot exist without fan's like myself being forced to pay exorbitant prices for con exclusives, then it should not. It is my hope that Val can find a way to work with Mattel in the future to ensure that any exclusives are made to order in quantities that drive aftermarket prices to no more than 3 times what they would cost at retail. I'm happy to pay extra to support Power-Con, but there has to be a limit.

You are also correct that there are other ways to fund a convention aside from exclusives. Both conventions that I was involved with were primarily funded by ticket sales and dealer space. But both of these conventions had big name guests like Todd McFarlane, George Takei, and even He-man contributor J. Michael Straczynski. This type of guest draws a wide variety of fans and pushes ticket sales. While I would personally love to meet someone like Mark Taylor, the average person has no idea who he is. The type of guests that Power-Con hosts are going to draw hardcore fans only. This is no slight on Val or anyone else, it's just a fact. And before anyone jumps my ***, yes, voice talent is likely a big ticket seller. I'm sure Oppenheimer was a big draw in previous years. Some folks seem to have taken it as a slight when I said that I have no interest in attending Power-Con. It wasn't intended that way. Con's just aren't my thing. I am a toy collector first and foremost and would never spend thousands to attend a convention for the weekend. I would much rather put that money into my collection. Other's are free to express their fandom in any way they desire. I would just prefer that it not be on my dime.

And yes, Val has been incredibly kind. After a couple of days dealing with the folks on this forum, I am beginning to think that he is an actual saint.
    Last edited by Skeletron2021; June 11, 2021 at 10:55am.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletron2021 View Post
    And yes, Val has been incredibly kind. After a couple of days dealing with the folks on this forum, I am beginning to think that he is an actual saint.
    Far from it. Instead, I'm a fan like all of you. Well, in spirit. We're all different people.
    I know what I'd want as a fan and I do the best I can to try to balance what fans what with the needs and constraints of business. It's a delicate balance. Sometimes I get it right, other times I fail. But I keep on trying to find what will make as many fans happy as possible. "Trying" being the operative word.

But with that ultra fast sell-out on Non-Attendee day, combined with Chase being horrible at what they are supposed to do so well, it's been a disappointing three weeks for myself and a number of fans. And I feel horrible about it and wish I had the power to fix it all to everyone's satisfaction, and hate that I am unable to do so.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Heroic Warrior
    I don't read your post as literally wanting to be thanked, but it's certainly easy to take it that way and criticize you for it - and since you've literally phrased your post this way, it sure is hard to call the people critiquing you for it insincere.

But your general point is this: by purchasing a con exclusive, you're helping someone make money. Certainly Mattel, certainly the Con, maybe some jerk on eBay, too. But, as someone who helps make the Con a profitable event to operate, it sure feels a certain kind of way to be told, in unnecessarily rude, incredibly smarmy terms, that you don't matter. It's like going to Target and buying a bottle of water, then you're told "FOH" by the customer behind you because they have a bottle of water and a lawnmower.

At this point it's important to note that, as much as we might criticize how the exclusives have been handled, Val personally has been incredibly graceful in their posts here. The smarmy tone comes from elsewhere, from El Segundo residents who don't mind overlooking how convenient it is for them to drive to the con and back every day and thus don't have to shell out $1500 on a flight and hotel, to people who are insisting, explicitly or implicitly, that their fandom is "right" and your fandom is "wrong" because you're a completist. Val's been great; wish the same could be said of everyone, that respectful discourse and disagreement could be the nature of dialogue here.

Skeletron makes a fine point that was overlooked in the (deliberate?) misreading of their post: if you buy items sold at Power Con, you are supporting Power Con. It's a bit clumsily stated in spots (sorry, but honestly), and probably misunderstands the revenue streams that go into conferences (sponsorships and vendor booths are most likely the revenue drivers here, and not, as much as it might help make the case for larger print runs, Mattel exclusives).

But buying an exclusive supports the Con, and buying a ticket to the event supports the Con. Buying hotel rooms supports the Con (sure helps them negotiate blocks and better rates).

In general, it's truthful to say "there are ways to support Power Con and keep it running year to year without actually going there." Skeletron is likely one of those people. To have other fans not only tell him he's got sour grapes, and then double down when called on it?

Big ol' yikes.

I think I share some of Skeletron's frustration: I want to give Power Con money, I want to give Mattel money. I want to support the event, and I want to do so in a specific way. That way is not possible now, which is unfortunate. There are potential fixes for that, and while it's not Val's place to speak on that (entirely), it is indeed frustrating that our desire to help make them money is ignored; perhaps, yes, understandable (we're not the only would-be customers), but also, yes, frustrating.

Woven into all this is a discussion of who "real fans" are (are they completists? Con goers? Both or neither?) now, and that's a whole other irksome conversation. Every person who buys an Origins figure contributes to the ecosystem that helps get more to us, whether it's every single variant or someone who only ever buys a He-Man off the Wal-Mart pegs, never having any prior inkling that they hit store shelves for the first time in decades. The moment we start telling people they're doing fandom "right" or "wrong" is the moment, ironically enough, where we truly start doing fandom wrong.
    When someone says they have supported Power-con for years because they have purchased the exclusives in the previous years to me is such a skew of the truth. They have purchased figures because they wanted to buy those figures that happen to be Power-Con exclusives and where some of that money is distributed is not the reason they purchased the figures.
    They aren't driven by need to support Power-con, they didn't buy figures they didn't want just to support Power-con.

I go to Power-con because I enjoy the convention and I really enjoy it more than SDCC, it is without a doubt my favorite show. Buying the exclusives is a perk to going to the convention for me, I never see it as I'm doing my part to help fund the convention because in truth, I want the figures and if the money wasn't going to Power-con I would still buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I think it will be,
    but I can't even think about the programming right now. I'm solely focused on this Chase thing.

I keep getting the "this will be fixed in 24 to 48 hours". I told a supervisor yesterday that was the THIRD time I've been told it will take 24 to 48 hours, and we've all had enough.
    I'm on the phone with them now. I've never been so frustrated in my entire life. I don't know who the heck is running the show over there but they aren't very good at their job. I hate saying things like that, but this is beyond ridiculous. I can't keep jerking people around with Chase's excuses.
    Got hit with another refund today. Makes 3

Need to switch banks Val

The double charges suck

You having to deal with it sucks

And I would guess, that all these multiple refunds to each person, is making your power con account smaller and smaller day by day. And that's making it even harder on you to get your stuff going.

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    And I would guess, that all these multiple refunds to each person, is making your power con account smaller and smaller day by day. And that's making it even harder on you to get your stuff going.
    I'm watching the balance on the Power-Con account do yo-yos. I feel like they are just screwing with everyone at this point.
    As you can tell, I'm kind of done being diplomatic about Chase.

I think it will be,

One of the most frustrating things in the world with places like Chase and other huge companies, is that they can so very quickly take money from you, but then suddenly it takes an incredibly long time to give the money back to you. It should take the same amount of time, and I bet it could be, they just simply don't want it to be.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Court Magician
    Far from it. Instead, I'm a fan like all of you. Well, in spirit. We're all different people.
    I know what I'd want as a fan and I do the best I can to try to balance what fans what with the needs and constraints of business. It's a delicate balance. Sometimes I get it right, other times I fail. But I keep on trying to find what will make as many fans happy as possible. "Trying" being the operative word.

But with that ultra fast sell-out on Non-Attendee day, combined with Chase being horrible at what they are supposed to do so well, it's been a disappointing three weeks for myself and a number of fans. And I feel horrible about it and wish I had the power to fix it all to everyone's satisfaction, and hate that I am unable to do so.
    I have been lurking on the forums for years, and have always admired the respectful way in which you speak to others. I apologize for asking why you do what you do. I suppose I am a bit jaded. It's hard for me to grasp that someone could be so selfless. It has become clear to me why some forum members jump to your defense so quickly. I appreciate you taking the time to try to understand my perspective on the exclusive issue and I feel that I have been heard. I won't be posting about the matter any further. Thanks again.

My favorite thing about Power-Con is meeting the actors and voice actors over the years. I am hoping Diane Pershing, Melendy Britt, and Erika Scheimer can come out since they were scheduled for the 2020 one before it was cancelled. Hopefully, some of the voice actors from Revelation can make it to the event as well this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Methinks the man doth protest too much. You have legions of supporters.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and frankly I don't care who likes it and who doesn't: You've done more than any single person to keep MOTU alive and now thriving through he-man.org and Power-Con. And ya know what? I also don't care who has a problem with my thanking you, so thank you.
    My first two times at power-con I didnít even care about exclusives. I was not grant into classics and just cherry picked my few favorites. Iím more into origins and wanted these exclusives. But the convention was amazing without buying a single item. I met so many people who made the stuff I loved in the 80s.

People here are acting the way ToyGuru used to say made Mattel managment want to end MattyCollector. Grow up children. Unless youíre actually children, but címon everyone here is over 30.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    When someone says they have supported Power-con for years because they have purchased the exclusives in the previous years to me is such a skew of the truth. They have purchased figures because they wanted to buy those figures that happen to be Power-Con exclusives and where some of that money is distributed is not the reason they purchased the figures.
    They aren't driven by need to support Power-con, they didn't buy figures they didn't want just to support Power-con.

I go to Power-con because I enjoy the convention and I really enjoy it more than SDCC, it is without a doubt my favorite show. Buying the exclusives is a perk to going to the convention for me, I never see it as I'm doing my part to help fund the convention because in truth, I want the figures and if the money wasn't going to Power-con I would still buy them.
    Both your dollars spend the same, though, and this sentiment (and I don't think you mean it cruelly) get at the crux of what people were criticizing about Skeletron's post: that he's not a "real" Con supporter (and these other people are).

Specifically this: "They aren't driven by need to support Power-con." Nobody is unless their mortgage payment is riding on its success. Every attendee, participant, money-spender is driven to purchase something they like; a ticket to attend panels that excite them, to see vendors and purchase the stuff they create, to buy exclusives.

You both have different preferences, and that's fine. That shouldn't be a controversial thing to say, yes?

People attend meetings and events for lots of reasons. It's excellent that you like the panels, and it's excellent that Skeletron likes the exclusives. Again, it's the ecosystem of the meeting.

A different perspective than yours is not a "skew of the truth," it's simply that - a different perspective.

Master of New Adventures!
    Bravo!

I have been lurking on the forums for years, and have always admired the respectful way in which you speak to others. I apologize for asking why you do what you do. I suppose I am a bit jaded. It's hard for me to grasp that someone could be so selfless. It has become clear to me why some forum members jump to your defense so quickly. I appreciate you taking the time to try to understand my perspective on the exclusive issue and I feel that I have been heard. I won't be posting about the matter any further. Thanks again.

Both your dollars spend the same, though, and this sentiment (and I don't think you mean it cruelly) get at the crux of what people were criticizing about Skeletron's post: that he's not a "real" Con supporter (and these other people are).

Specifically this: "They aren't driven by need to support Power-con." Nobody is unless their mortgage payment is riding on its success. Every attendee, participant, money-spender is driven to purchase something they like; a ticket to attend panels that excite them, to see vendors and purchase the stuff they create, to buy exclusives.

You both have different preferences, and that's fine. That shouldn't be a controversial thing to say, yes?

People attend meetings and events for lots of reasons. It's excellent that you like the panels, and it's excellent that Skeletron likes the exclusives. Again, it's the ecosystem of the meeting.

A different perspective than yours is not a "skew of the truth," it's simply that - a different perspective.
    Well put. 👍👍

Big Bad Toy store sold out of the Exclusive Eternian Palace Guard figures and because of the quick sellout and high demand, was able to work with Mattel to get pre orders back up again on their site as well as on Entertainment Earth. It sure seems possible that Mattel could do the same with the sold out Power Con Exclusives. Has there been any news of this?

This was the response from BBTS when I asked if they might be getting more of the Exclusives after the sell out:

"I can confirm that our Product Team is currently working on finalizing details regarding this listing with the manufacturer and we hope to have it complete and back up soon. Once finalized, it is possible that we will have additional Pre-order inventory available along with additional details.

We often will not send out notifications to collectors when confirming or finalizing listings with manufacturers as these things often happen rapidly and there are a lot of variables involved. We will frequently announce listings on social media and through our email groups, but for hot items such as this, fan forums can be your best resource as these networks will constantly scan for new listings and updates.

We will be sure to announce these when they're finalized and are currently working to secure additional inventory for Pre-orders. Unlike some retailers, we do not announce and list stock before securing our numbers ahead of time with manufacturers - we don't want to give you a false sense of hope that might be detrimental to your collection. This may sometimes occur in batches, while other times we may be able to post and offer all at once.

Thank you so much for your support and interest, do let us know if we can be of any additional assistance. Have a great day!"

People have been oblivious to the fact that you have been lurking on the forums for years. When I see a new member who only signed up in May of this year start throwing bombs towards Val, youíre automatically going to have people (me included) come to his defence. As an international fan for example, Val has really looked after us particularly during the 200x line.

Heroic Warrior

You took some of what I was saying out of context - I'm not comparing preferences. I didn't see anyone even mentioned real con supporter vs him not being one, this hasn't even been inferred in posts. Everyone has their own opinion and I don't see anyone arguing against that. People are criticizing his post because he thinks that the convention shouldn't exist if it requires exclusives. The statement about supporting the convention by buying figures at bigbad and no one thanked him conveys his intent was to support the convention - this is what I am referencing as skewed. I understand he was trying to get some type of validation, but again I only see people expressing their own opinions back in the previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ka Rot-Top View Post
    It sure seems possible that Mattel could do the same with the sold out Power Con Exclusives. Has there been any news of this?
    Mattel confirmed to me yesterday that they will not be able to allocate Power-Con any more units of the exclusives.
    Sorry everyone.
    But I still wouldn't rule out Mattel releasing more of these in another format later on.

Also, I just posted a new update from Chase Bank.
    Please click here to read.
    And, my apologies that it's not news stating "Refunds are all done!" That's what I was hoping to post today. Heck, I was hoping to post that last Friday.

Mattel confirmed to me yesterday that they will not be able to allocate Power-Con any more units of the exclusives.
    Sorry everyone.
    But I still wouldn't rule out Mattel releasing more of these in another format later on.

And, my apologies that it's not news stating "Refunds are all done!" That's what I was hoping to post today. Heck, I was hoping to post that last Friday.
    Thank you for the final definitive answer. That's a bummer. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be making the most expensive Ebay purchases I'll probably ever make this fall.

Sorry everyone.

Yesterday I was charged a third time for my order.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Widget
    Appreciate the confirmation, even if it's news I would rather not hear. At least it's definitive.

I do, however, hate the phrasing. It's worded passively, as if the decision was out of Mattel's hands - which is an absurd implication. I'm well aware that corporate phrasing is delicate and precise, so I empathize with you while also thinking highly contemptuously of how this is worded.

"Mattel confirmed to me yesterday that they will not be allocating any more units of the exclusives" is fewer words and more accurately describes Mattel's agency in making the conscious decision to not produce more, or make an effort at a made-to-order line (even with mandatory minimums before confirming). This wording strikes me as Mattel saying "yeah, we're just not gonna do that, but let's make sure we send this through our marketing team to make sure the copy doesn't communicate that we decided to not do that."

Big Bad Toy store sold out of the Exclusive Eternian Palace Guard figures and because of the quick sellout and high demand, was able to work with Mattel to get pre orders back up again on their site as well as on Entertainment Earth. It sure seems possible that Mattel could do the same with the sold out Power Con Exclusives. Has there been any news of this?

This was the response from BBTS when I asked if they might be getting more of the Exclusives after the sell out:

"I can confirm that our Product Team is currently working on finalizing details regarding this listing with the manufacturer and we hope to have it complete and back up soon. Once finalized, it is possible that we will have additional Pre-order inventory available along with additional details.

We often will not send out notifications to collectors when confirming or finalizing listings with manufacturers as these things often happen rapidly and there are a lot of variables involved. We will frequently announce listings on social media and through our email groups, but for hot items such as this, fan forums can be your best resource as these networks will constantly scan for new listings and updates.

We will be sure to announce these when they're finalized and are currently working to secure additional inventory for Pre-orders. Unlike some retailers, we do not announce and list stock before securing our numbers ahead of time with manufacturers - we don't want to give you a false sense of hope that might be detrimental to your collection. This may sometimes occur in batches, while other times we may be able to post and offer all at once.

Thank you so much for your support and interest, do let us know if we can be of any additional assistance. Have a great day!"
    That is because it is a shared exclusive with other etailers and it hasn't been produced yet so mattel can still go back to the factory and say "can we add XX more to our order and still make deadlines, keep out place in the production line, etc" hence why they were able to reopen pre-orders. Other etailers like EE, or my local shop here in town, are just now opening their orders for the guards too.
    cogito ergo doleo

Bro, regardless of all that's been said and done, I truly hope you find a way to get the Power Con exclusive and have a complete collection.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Thank you for the final definitive answer. That's a bummer. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be making the most expensive Ebay purchases I'll probably ever make this fall.
    This is why Iím hoping our local comic/collectible shops will hopefully get their hands on some. I find they are cheaper than eBay around 90% of the time
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Seems to be taken care of at moment. Have only one refund now (still pending) other 2 refunds are gone. Hope they are done ******* around and everyone is taken care of and don't do any more damage.