Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1150

Thread: Power-Con 2021 - September 11 & 12 - Anaheim, CA

Quote Originally Posted by wehrmanm View Post
    I do, however, hate the phrasing. It's worded passively, as if the decision was out of Mattel's hands - which is an absurd implication. I'm well aware that corporate phrasing is delicate and precise, so I empathize with you while also thinking highly contemptuously of how this is worded.
    It definitely wasn't meant that way, and I really have no idea how you came to that conclusion. There was absolutely no hatred behind what I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    Seems to be taken care of at moment. Have only one refund now (still pending) other 2 refunds are gone. Hope they are done ******* around and everyone is taken care of and don't do any more damage.
    I saw the full amount for all refunds finally came out of the Power-Con account. So I also hope this as well! Fingers crossed.
    And again, my apologies to everyone who had to endure this double-billing fiasco.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by wehrmanm View Post
    Appreciate the confirmation, even if it's news I would rather not hear. At least it's definitive.

I do, however, hate the phrasing. It's worded passively, as if the decision was out of Mattel's hands - which is an absurd implication. I'm well aware that corporate phrasing is delicate and precise, so I empathize with you while also thinking highly contemptuously of how this is worded.

"Mattel confirmed to me yesterday that they will not be allocating any more units of the exclusives" is fewer words and more accurately describes Mattel's agency in making the conscious decision to not produce more, or make an effort at a made-to-order line (even with mandatory minimums before confirming). This wording strikes me as Mattel saying "yeah, we're just not gonna do that, but let's make sure we send this through our marketing team to make sure the copy doesn't communicate that we decided to not do that."
    Huh? No idea what you mean at all. I think the message is very clear. Mattel is not going to be producing any more....period. I do not read it is "out of their hands". It is certainly in their hands, they know and acknowledge it, and they have decided NO. They have the right to do that. It is their property afterall.

There's nothing passive or hidden about it. It is done, no more. Pretty straightforward...

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    When someone says they have supported Power-con for years because they have purchased the exclusives in the previous years to me is such a skew of the truth. They have purchased figures because they wanted to buy those figures that happen to be Power-Con exclusives and where some of that money is distributed is not the reason they purchased the figures.
    They aren't driven by need to support Power-con, they didn't buy figures they didn't want just to support Power-con.

That may be the case for some fans, but not all. I tend to buy something every year to support the con. My nephew has ten years of Power-Con t-shirts that I didn't give two squats about, but was trying to buy the items that I figured had the widest profit margin for Val.

But let's not get it twisted; the smug folks in this thread with their noses in the air saying "hmmph, well, you're lucky these items are even offered to non-attendees" can kick rocks. You're lucky we buy these things and help fund the Con you attend every year. I say this as someone that attends every other year or so. I don't know the nuts and bolts of the bottom line for Val, but the Power Con doesn't offer these exclusives as a charity. If nary a single shirt, button, figure or book was purchased in 2022, there likely wouldn't be a convention, or at best, it would be a ramshackle bankruptcy pit for all involved. So, this notion of the Con offering sales to non-attendees as a "favor" is insulting to the people that help fund the thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xTIMMYxCOREx View Post

People here are acting the way ToyGuru used to say made Mattel managment want to end MattyCollector. Grow up children. Unless you’re actually children, but c’mon everyone here is over 30.
    There were many reasons why Mattel wanted to end MC, and none of them had anything to do with the behaviour of fans.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior

There were many reasons why Mattel wanted to end MC, and none of them had anything to do with the behaviour of fans.
    It wasn't the only factor, but it certainly was a contributing factor. There is a whole thread dedicated to the fact that comments from this very forum were showed to management and used as one of the motivations to end the line.
    Last edited by WalkerBoh; June 13, 2021 at 07:45am.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So we are back to calling ToyGuru a liar?

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    When someone says they have supported Power-con for years because they have purchased the exclusives in the previous years to me is such a skew of the truth. They have purchased figures because they wanted to buy those figures that happen to be Power-Con exclusives and where some of that money is distributed is not the reason they purchased the figures.
    They aren't driven by need to support Power-con, they didn't buy figures they didn't want just to support Power-con.

I go to Power-con because I enjoy the convention and I really enjoy it more than SDCC, it is without a doubt my favorite show. Buying the exclusives is a perk to going to the convention for me, I never see it as I'm doing my part to help fund the convention because in truth, I want the figures and if the money wasn't going to Power-con I would still buy them.
    Zero skew of truth for me. I don’t really care for origins, but I buy them because that’s all there is. I’m not a completist for this line at all. I did not want the power lords set or she-ra figure last year. I bought them to help the convention and do my part.

This year, all I wanted was the castle set. I did not want the 4-pack at all and faker was cool but not needed for my collection. I bought them all through BBTS like always to help the convention. I had no idea how quick they would sell-out.

I love masters, and this site and I see how hard Val and so many work to keep this brand alive. One of my dreams is to attend power-con, but my crippling fear of flying won’t allow that. This is the only way I feel apart of the convention.

I bought every exclusive except the castle set to fund the convention. No other reason.
    Last edited by horseman1981; June 13, 2021 at 12:35pm.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It definitely wasn't meant that way, and I really have no idea how you came to that conclusion. There was absolutely no hatred behind what I posted.

I saw the full amount for all refunds finally came out of the Power-Con account. So I also hope this as well! Fingers crossed.
    And again, my apologies to everyone who had to endure this double-billing fiasco.
    With the multiple charges and refunds, would it be possible to send another Purplepass invoice just to make sure our orders still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    ...but my crippling fear of flying won’t allow that.
    I know this is easier said than done, but have you tried taking steps to tackle that fear?
    I apologize. I'm not trying to suggest anything bad. Instead, I'd love to see you beat it.
    This link has some good tips that cover most of the issues I see people talk about that I know also have a fear of flying.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMegs View Post
    With the multiple charges and refunds, would it be possible to send another Purplepass invoice just to make sure our orders still exist?
    I wish I could. But, as Chase made the mistake, only they can send back the refund. As far as Purplepass goes, and the processing gateway goes, your order is fine.
    We don't even know who all was affected by this because this is 100% Chase's mistake.
    That's one more reason this has been so frustrating. I didn't know which fans to contact, and have had to rely on people reaching out to Power-Con.

For what it's worth, I saw all the refunds taken out of our account yesterday. It covers just the double-billing amounts.
    I've gotten numerous reports already that the refund arrived in their account and the 2nd double-refund dropped off. Same for people who are seeing this new mysterious 3rd charge, which also dropped off for them.
    Unless something bad happens (and let's be honest here. At this point, Chase doesn't have my confidence), everything appears to be returning to how it should be, with money returning and original orders remaining intact.

...now that I've said that, I'm now anticipating waking up on Monday morning and finding that people got five new charges.
    that's a joke. But, I still dread a new problem happening.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Master of New Adventures!
    Your "crippling fear of flying" is the reason the good Lord created trains. What a wonderful experience to take a transcontinental train journey to Power-Con!

As one who has attend the cons, I can tell you it's an amazing experience.

Zero skew of truth for me. I don’t really care for origins, but I buy them because that’s all there is. I’m not a completist for this line at all. I did not want the power lords set or she-ra figure last year. I bought them to help the convention and do my part.

This year, all I wanted was the castle set. I did not want the 4-pack at all and faker was cool but not needed for my collection. I bought them all through BBTS like always to help the convention. I had no idea how quick they would sell-out.

I love masters, and this site and I see how hard Val and so many work to keep this brand alive. One of my dreams is to attend power-con, but my crippling fear of flying won’t allow that. This is the only way I feel apart of the convention.

I bought every exclusive except the castle set to fund the convention. No other reason.

I know this is easier said than done, but have you tried taking steps to tackle that fear?
    I apologize. I'm not trying to suggest anything bad. Instead, I'd love to see you beat it.
    This link has some good tips that cover most of the issues I see people talk about that I know also have a fear of flying.
    Thanks. No offense taken at all. If I could kick myself in the butt to do this I would. I hate it. My fear of heights makes even ladders rough. My issue is also motion sickness. I throw-up on a merry-go-round. I will definitely look in to
    What you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Your "crippling fear of flying" is the reason the good Lord created trains. What a wonderful experience to take a transcontinental train journey to Power-Con!

As one who has attend the cons, I can tell you it's an amazing experience.
    That is one thing I’m looking at. It’s something I could see happening. Also we may even invest in an RV. I would love to see the west and look at the stars with out all the lights around.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Thanks. No offense taken at all. If I could kick myself in the butt to do this I would. I hate it. My fear of heights makes even ladders rough. My issue is also motion sickness. I throw-up on a merry-go-round. I will definitely look in to
    What you posted.
    A couple people I know had the exact same issues, and they eventually conquered it by following some of the steps on that list I sent before they ever took a flight.
    Then, when it came to the actual flight, they had to do a couple of things:

1. do not sit near a window. Make sure you are in an Aisle seat, which you can request. Unless you can't help but look out the window, you'll never know you're in the air except for take off and landing.

2. when you're at cruising altitude, you will hardly ever know you are moving. The only times you ever really experience it are at take-off, where it puts you back into your chair a LITTLE bit like a roller coaster, and when you land and it bumps on the ground. There is also some turbulence from time to time, which shakes the plane. And that can unnerve people. But it rarely lasts that long. They took Dramamine before the flight to help with all of that.

Again, I know that's ALL easier said that done! But, the two people I know that conquered it and did the above are taking flights now when needed. They still aren't huge fans of flying, but at least they aren't dealing with the fear like they had initially.

I have to confess that I am also notoriously afraid of heights and flying. I've never been on a plane.

So Val, now that, hopefully, the drama surrounding exclusives is finally over, we can get back to discussing the con itself again.

Even though it totally sucked that the con had to be cancelled last year, I really enjoyed the panels being streamed, and actually being able to get a question in. Will something like that be available this year? Not only to stream the panels, but perhaps be able to field questions from those watching online? I would absolutely pay a fee to be able to not only watch but interact with the panels.
    And another virtual room to see the upcoming releases would be awesome too.

For what it's worth, I saw all the refunds taken out of our account yesterday. It covers just the double-billing amounts.
    I've gotten numerous reports already that the refund arrived in their account and the 2nd double-refund dropped off. Same for people who are seeing this new mysterious 3rd charge, which also dropped off for them.
    Unless something bad happens (and let's be honest here. At this point, Chase doesn't have my confidence), everything appears to be returning to how it should be, with money returning and original orders remaining intact.
    This morning my Chase statement is back to normal - history shows a double-charge, a single refund and the balance due is exactly what I purchased. Thanks for all your hard work wrangling this.

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jzguitars View Post
    So Val, now that, hopefully, the drama surrounding exclusives is finally over, we can get back to discussing the con itself again.

Even though it totally sucked that the con had to be cancelled last year, I really enjoyed the panels being streamed, and actually being able to get a question in. Will something like that be available this year? Not only to stream the panels, but perhaps be able to field questions from those watching online? I would absolutely pay a fee to be able to not only watch but interact with the panels.
    And another virtual room to see the upcoming releases would be awesome too.
    From https://thepower-con.com/info-faq/
    Q. Will there be any virtual offerings for 2021 like you had in 2020?
    A. We do not have any specific announcements at this time about virtual offerings. But, we do plan to have an interactive element similar in theme to the 2020 Grayskull Treasure Room (but WAY more fun), and we hope to live-stream some panels for non-attendees to watch. But for 2021, all panel Q&A sessions will only be offered to Attendees.

I think it would be REALLY cool if you could get two or three or more MOTU fans to join you on a train journey or pitch in to rent an RV to get you all to Power-Con. Imagine the stories you could share and the excitement you'd all feel. You could watch a lot of MOTU re-runs together on that kind of trip.

What you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

That is one thing I’m looking at. It’s something I could see happening. Also we may even invest in an RV. I would love to see the west and look at the stars with out all the lights around.
    - - - Updated - - -

Then thank your lucky stars you didn't spend your Air Force hitch being lowered out of a helicopter on a hoist as a search-and-rescue medic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have to confess that I am also notoriously afraid of heights and flying. I've never been on a plane.

Heroic Warrior
    So, here is my question and I realize it may have been answered, but I've searched and didn't see it:

I bought two 4 packs and was charged, double.
    I received a double refund.

Does that mean I'm out of luck in getting the 4 pack?

Val… new guidelines from CA state are saying large events are encouraged to require vaccination cards for attendees. Will you (or the hotel) be requiring this at Power-Con? I really hope not as it will not allow me (and potentially many others) to attend.

Good heavens! The added work for Val and his amazing team to now have to take on the job of being vaccine deputies to check ten thousand people for vaccination cards every day is simply mind boggling.

Val… new guidelines from CA state are saying large events are encouraged to require vaccination cards for attendees. Will you (or the hotel) be requiring this at Power-Con? I really hope not as it will not allow me (and potentially many others) to attend.

It's required for indoor events with attendance of over 5000.
    So odds are we'll just cap attendance at 5000 for this year. Which means we might not end up with any door passes. That's problematic as a good chunk of our attendance is walk-in ticket sales. But, it is what it is.
    BUT who knows how things will be in three months. That restriction might be relaxed even further by then.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    The California Department of Public Health is requiring indoor event organizers to verify an attendee is fully-vaccinated or has tested negative for coronavirus 72 hours before the event starts in order to be granted admission through October 1st. Guests will also have to follow the requirements of the state regarding face coverings.

If the state where the event is hosted requires it, I do not see that the hotel or the convention has a much of a choice.

My recollection -- and I could be wrong -- is that recent Power-Con attendance was around 10,000. If that's true, then it means halving attendance.

So odds are we'll just cap attendance at 5000 for this year. Which means we might not end up with any door passes. That's problematic as a good chunk of our attendance is walk-in ticket sales. But, it is what it is.
    BUT who knows how things will be in three months. That restriction might be relaxed even further by then.

Heroic Podcaster
    That is such a tough spot for Val and the other organizers. You certainly don't want to turn anyone away, especially after this past 15 months we've all endured, but if vaccine-hesitant people spread it to each other at Power-Con, and can then trace their infection back to the event, Val and the other organizers can be sued. Several states have passed measures barring organizations from requiring proof of vax but then offer exactly zero protection if people attend the event and get sick, then turn around and sue the event that was forced to let them in unprotected. It is a tough situation all around to be sure. With California's rule of checking for proof, and people get sick, Val could be doubly at risk of litigation as they could say he willingly skirted the rules and then people got sick.

This situation is just awful all over.
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

Understood and agreed. I'm just sad about anything that decreases attendance for a show in which visitors are in for the time of their lives and which contributes revenues to get it profitable and coming back year after year after year.

During almost four decades of working in the entertainment industry I've had a lot of high points, but few things compare to seeing the awe and joy on children's faces as they walk the aisles at Power-Con. One of my great joys was walking along the long line of people waiting to enter the con and going down on my knees, over and over again, to chat with children. Their youthful excitement was contagious and truly wonderful to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    That is such a tough spot for Val and the other organizers. You certainly don't want to turn anyone away, especially after this past 15 months we've all endured, but if vaccine-hesitant people spread it to each other at Power-Con, and can then trace their infection back to the event, Val and the other organizers can be sued. Several states have passed measures barring organizations from requiring proof of vax but then offer exactly zero protection if people attend the event and get sick, then turn around and sue the event that was forced to let them in unprotected. It is a tough situation all around to be sure. With California's rule of checking for proof, and people get sick, Val could be doubly at risk of litigation as they could say he willingly skirted the rules and then people got sick.

This situation is just awful all over.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 15, 2021 at 06:29pm.

Not sure why walk up attenders can't simply show their vax card at the door. I get that this topic is ripe for debate and I won't open that can of worms, but to allow for the possibility of more attendees... why not?
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!