Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1289

Thread: Power-Con 2021 - September 11 & 12 - Anaheim, CA

Master of New Adventures!
    That's an awesome point!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Not sure why walk up attenders can't simply show their vax card at the door. I get that this topic is ripe for debate and I won't open that can of worms, but to allow for the possibility of more attendees... why not?

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Not sure why walk up attenders can't simply show their vax card at the door. I get that this topic is ripe for debate and I won't open that can of worms, but to allow for the possibility of more attendees... why not?
    I would imagine it is because, in the case that walk-up attenders increase the size of the event to over 5000, then everyone in the event would have to have proof of vaccination. If it is capped at 5000 from the start, the requirement for vaccination proof doesn't hold. If you have 5000 people already there and just 1 person walks in to buy a ticket (even if he or she has been vaccinated) it puts the whole show in the over 5000 range. Now everyone has to have proof. That 1 person changed the entire event. That's a nightmare. If the requirement was everyone over the 5000 limit had to show proof, that would be different. But that isn't the requirement.

It would seem the only option is to limit it from the start in order to guarantee the 5000 limit isn't going to be exceeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Quote Originally Posted by xTIMMYxCOREx View Post
    ValÖ new guidelines from CA state are saying large events are encouraged to require vaccination cards for attendees. Will you (or the hotel) be requiring this at Power-Con? I really hope not as it will not allow me (and potentially many others) to attend.
    Without digging into things, can't you just get vaccinated? It solves the issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandorFacepalm View Post
    I would imagine it is because, in the case that walk-up attenders increase the size of the event to over 5000, then everyone in the event would have to have proof of vaccination. If it is capped at 5000 from the start, the requirement for vaccination proof doesn't hold. If you have 5000 people already there and just 1 person walks in to buy a ticket (even if he or she has been vaccinated) it puts the whole show in the over 5000 range. Now everyone has to have proof. That 1 person changed the entire event. That's a nightmare. If the requirement was everyone over the 5000 limit had to show proof, that would be different. But that isn't the requirement.

It would seem the only option is to limit it from the start in order to guarantee the 5000 limit isn't going to be exceeded.

Exactly, one over the limit then makes it so alllllllll the other 5000 have to show proof and how would you do that when people are already inside milling around?
    cogito ergo doleo

KingRandorFacepalm nailed it. Once we go over 5000, then everyone has to offer up proof.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar

I think his point is that attendees already have to present their ticket at the door to gain admission, what is one more thing? Just show your proof of vaccination or negative COVID test too.

The convention and the hotel do not make the rules, they just have to follow them. So anyone expecting to travel to California to attend an indoor event numbering in the thousands should be prepared to follow whatever rules the state requires.

I do not understand why this is so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think his point is that attendees already have to present their ticket at the door to gain admission, what is one more thing? Just show your proof of vaccination or negative COVID test too.

The convention and the hotel do not make the rules, they just have to follow them. So anyone expecting to travel to California to attend an indoor event numbering in the thousands should be prepared to follow whatever rules the state requires.

I'm not sure that was his point. He mentioned walk-up ticket buyers because Val said the con would have to limit the attendance to 5000 in order to avoid everyone needing to show proof of vaccination (and the con having to monitor) and that will likely cut down on (or cut out?) the possibility of walk-ups being able to attend. He said walk-ups should just be able to show their vax card. He seemed to be inquiring about walk-up ticket buyers, specifically, as opposed to those who buy their tickets ahead of time and wondering why the con would not want more people coming in day of. I was just trying to explain why his solution doesn't solve the walk-up issue he was specifically bringing up. If the con is going to follow state/county regulations, they will likely have to disallow the walk-ups he was asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's required for indoor events with attendance of over 5000.
    So odds are we'll just cap attendance at 5000 for this year. Which means we might not end up with any door passes. That's problematic as a good chunk of our attendance is walk-in ticket sales. But, it is what it is.
    BUT who knows how things will be in three months. That restriction might be relaxed even further by then.
    Thank you!

KingRandorFacepalm nailed it. Once we go over 5000, then everyone has to offer up proof.
    I'm sorry to be blunt but.... so what? If you aren't vaxxed you don't attend. I realize that may create the inverse problem where you've now chopped your attendance in half because only half of the attendees are vaccinated, but perhaps not. And you could even offer onsite vaccination! LOL... (kidding).

Ultimately I'm not here to tell you what to do, Val. I'm sure as the person running this event you know exactly what you're doing and dealing with. Just trying to think through solutions out loud.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

I'm sorry to be blunt but.... so what? If you aren't vaxxed you don't attend.
    This......

I'm sorry to be blunt but.... so what? If you aren't vaxxed you don't attend. I realize that may create the inverse problem where you've now chopped your attendance in half because only half of the attendees are vaccinated, but perhaps not. And you could even offer onsite vaccination! LOL... (kidding).
    We're going to follow whatever rules are in place.

As it stands right now, June 16th, for Power-Con in Anaheim, CA:
    • social distancing is no longer required
    • people who are fully vaccinated will not need to wear a mask indoors, unless the hotel requires it (we're still waiting to find out. But please note that we went into pre-sales stating masks would be required just to be safe)
    • unvaccinated people should continue to wear masks, but it is essentially an honor system unless the hotel requires masks
    • for now we are capping attendance at 5000, as vaccine verification or negative COVID-19 test results are currently required for indoor events with more than 5000 in attendance
    • since children 12 and younger are not yet eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine, they should be wearing masks. We do not know if this will be enforced by the hotel
    • for international fans, it is our understanding that you must be vaccinated to come to the USA. This is something international fans will have to prove to customs officials. So, in theory, there should be no need for us to check for this at Registration
    • please note that any of this may change between now and September.

I'll be adding this to the Power-Con site FAQ soon. I'm still buttoning up things with this Chase Bank nonsense that has me backed up by about 3 weeks on some very important matters.
    Sorry everyone!

And for the record, I am fully vaccinated. Outside of that, I will adhere to the guidelines presented by the government, California, and the Hilton hotel.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Any idea when we might get to see the packaging for the exclusives? I think I like the Origins line packaging better than the figures! hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Any idea when we might get to see the packaging for the exclusives? I think I like the Origins line packaging better than the figures! hahaha!
    I want to get the credit card situation put to bed.
    It looks like a lot of fans, if not most, have gotten their refunds. But some are still waiting on it probably due to delays on how their cards or banks process refunds.
    I want fans with double-billings taken care of first before we do any sort of packaging reveal.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm not sure that was his point. He mentioned walk-up ticket buyers because Val said the con would have to limit the attendance to 5000 in order to avoid everyone needing to show proof of vaccination (and the con having to monitor) and that will likely cut down on (or cut out?) the possibility of walk-ups being able to attend. He said walk-ups should just be able to show their vax card. He seemed to be inquiring about walk-up ticket buyers, specifically, as opposed to those who buy their tickets ahead of time and wondering why the con would not want more people coming in day of. I was just trying to explain why his solution doesn't solve the walk-up issue he was specifically bringing up. If the con is going to follow state/county regulations, they will likely have to disallow the walk-ups he was asking about.
    I do not think anyone is suggesting that asking for proof of vaccination or a negative test from walk-up guests only is a solution. Rather that it should be asked of everyone. It is not as if people can simply walk-in off the street, and gain admittance to the convention floor. People have to present a ticket at a checkpoint. So why can they not also provide their proof of vaccination or negative test at the same time? It is not additionally burdensome, and any reasonable person who purchased a ticket to attend an indoor event with thousands of others in the state of California should expect they would have to meet these sorts of requirements. Why cut attendance in half or more, turn people away at the door, and leave money on the table for the equivalent of checking an ID along with the ticket? Ultimately, the organizers should make the decision they think is best, but it seems like a lot of folks are making it more difficult than it needs to be. Get your shot, wear your mask, bring your card.

Then why not just require proof at the start, for everyone?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with Adam on this...

I do not think anyone is suggesting that asking for proof of vaccination or a negative test from walk-up guests only is a solution. Rather that it should be asked of everyone. It is not as if people can simply walk-in off the street, and gain admittance to the convention floor. People have to present a ticket at a checkpoint. So why can they not also provide their proof of vaccination or negative test at the same time? It is not additionally burdensome, and any reasonable person who purchased a ticket to attend an indoor event with thousands of others in the state of California should expect they would have to meet these sorts of requirements. Why cut attendance in half or more, turn people away at the door, and leave money on the table for the equivalent of checking an ID along with the ticket? Ultimately, the organizers should make the decision they think is best, but it seems like a lot of folks are making it more difficult than it needs to be. Get your shot, wear your mask, bring your card.
    I resonate with your last sentence there. As someone who is going to the con, I would prefer for everyone to have to show proof of vaccination. I agree with you, though, that the organizers need to do what they think is best. I can imagine it might be the case that keeping it under 5000 so that proof of vaccination won't be required might be preferable for a number of reasons, management-wise. I respect that.

I do stick by my initial read of the post above, though (#1125). Quoting Val's post that limiting the con to 5000 would mean cutting out walk-up ticket buyers, he said that the walk-ups should just show their proof of vaccination. The scenario being discussed was a 5000-limited con. He had suggested that walk-ups could be allowed into that scenario if they showed proof. He didn't suggest that the 5000-limit scenario be changed. I was suggesting why, according to state regulations, that just wasn't an option. From a later post, I think he agrees that requiring proof of everyone from the start would solve the problem of needing to limit numbers in order to abide by state regulations. That wasn't what was being presented in the post I responded to, however. (Of course, none of this matters whatsoever. I just try hard not to misinterpret things I read.)
    Last edited by KingRandorFacepalm; June 16, 2021 at 04:58pm.

I'm not going to post anymore on the vaccination issue. I think Val has more than enough on his plate without having to have his time taken up by this. I regret and apologize for posting about this in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'm not going to post anymore on the vaccination issue. I think Val has more than enough on his plate without having to have his time taken up by this. I regret and apologize for posting about this in the first place.
    Agreed here as well. I'm done Monday morning quarterbacking an event Val has run safely and well for years. Guy knows what he's doing.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Well said.

Agreed here as well. I'm done Monday morning quarterbacking an event Val has run safely and well for years. Guy knows what he's doing.

Are any of the panels streamed or uploaded to YouTube for those of us that canít make it?

Have you looked into virtual tickets? Iíd happily pay a few $$ to watch a stream and help support the con even though Iíll probably never get to one in person (unless you want to run one in Australia )

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Are any of the panels streamed or uploaded to YouTube for those of us that canít make it?

Have you looked into virtual tickets? Iíd happily pay a few $$ to watch a stream and help support the con even though Iíll probably never get to one in person (unless you want to run one in Australia )

Third question/answer here: https://thepower-con.com/info-faq/#general
    News editor on PlanetEternia.de, the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe website
    Part of "Das HE-MANische Quartett", the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe podcast

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    It wasn't the only factor, but it certainly was a contributing factor. There is a whole thread dedicated to the fact that comments from this very forum were showed to management and used as one of the motivations to end the line.
    Posts on this forum had zero to do with Classics being cancelled. Legit complaints made publicly on this forum about quality and service with the line that were ignored by Matty Collector but ended up being filtered through mid and higher management at Mattel were investigated and did lead to changes internally, but the line continued for what, three more years before Super7 took it over? If anyone is claiming that this forum damaged and/or cancelled the line itself, they're a liar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xTIMMYxCOREx View Post
    So we are back to calling ToyGuru a liar?
    I've never called Scott a liar. I have, in numerous examples, demonstrated his strained relationship with the truth by quoting him directly or pointing out any of the numerous things he has written or said that have been demonstrably untrue, as have many people who belonged to this forum while he was in the habit of making spurious statements as brand manager.

I have also written things like "if someone claims something that is both absurd and easily dismissed by the fact that the line continued for several years after complaints at this forum supposedly KILLED TEH LIEN, then they're a liar." But never have I called Scott a liar publicly, to my knowledge. See the above post I replied to.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Posts on this forum had zero to do with Classics being cancelled. Legit complaints made publicly on this forum about quality and service with the line that were ignored by Matty Collector but ended up being filtered through mid and higher management at Mattel were investigated and did lead to changes internally, but the line continued for what, three more years before Super7 took it over? If anyone is claiming that this forum damaged and/or cancelled the line itself, they're a liar.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never called Scott a liar. I have, in numerous examples, demonstrated his strained relationship with the truth by quoting him directly or pointing out any of the numerous things he has written or said that have been demonstrably untrue, as have many people who belonged to this forum while he was in the habit of making spurious statements as brand manager.

I have also written things like "if someone claims something that is both absurd and easily dismissed by the fact that the line continued for several years after complaints at this forum supposedly KILLED TEH LIEN, then they're a liar." But never have I called Scott a liar publicly, to my knowledge. See the above post I replied to.
    Thats a pretty strong bubble you are living in.

Not sure when we will hear about programming but I would love the auction to come back.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Not sure when we will hear about programming but I would love the auction to come back.
    Maybe one day! They were fun, but a looooot of work.
    We didn't really like going hat-in-hand year to year with talent. If we instead make it a periodic thing every five years or so, that could prove more probable. So we'll see.

Also for anyone who is interested,
    guest announcements will start next week,
    and programming will be revealed much closer to the show. Probably in early August.

And an update on the Chase situation, which I need to send out to the mailing list as well,
    Chase Bank said that the remaining refunds were processed last Thursday.
    We're still getting a few e-mails saying refunds have not been posted for double-billings, but Chase said (this is Chase, mind you) that the timeframe for which the refund is posted depends on the customer's bank or credit card. Chase said it can take up to 5 additional business days, give or take.
    Chase hasn't done much to restore my faith given how slow they have been to fix their mistake. And I know you all are tired of hearing this, but I'm sorry this ever happened in the first place.

Maybe one day! They were fun, but a looooot of work.
    We didn't really like going hat-in-hand year to year with talent. If we instead make it a periodic thing every five years or so, that could prove more probable. So we'll see.

Also for anyone who is interested,
    guest announcements will start next week,
    and programming will be revealed much closer to the show. Probably in early August.
    understandable, I know i def liked them but yeah it is a bunch of work.

Can't wait to hear about programming.
    cogito ergo doleo