Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Heroes and Villains Guidebook

Bang Your Head

NEW He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Heroes and Villains Guidebook

Both Target.com and Amazon.com have pre-order listings for a paperback He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Heroes and Villains Guidebook (media tie-in), set to be released on October 5, 2021.

Click here to pre-order on Amazon!

No images are posted to these listing, and the authors of the book are different for each site (Kiel Phegley and Melanie Shannon). I believe these are the same books as both share the same title, release date, and cover price of $8.99 usd.
    Target
    target.jpg
    Amazon
    amazon.jpg

Good find.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I bet this is for the new CG series.

Awesome find!

This is what the description says:

"The Masters of the Universe are back and better than ever in this brand-new guidebook!

An ancient evil threatens Eternia once more, and it's up to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe to save the kingdom! This fun-filled guidebook explores the heroes and villains seen in the Netflix show, Masters of the Universe. This guidebook includes a poster and is bursting with exclusive lore from the new show. The power is yours!"
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Here's another new book, Legends From Castle Grayskull, by the same author for Feb 2022:

https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Master...s=books&sr=1-1

- - - Updated - - -

MAJOR SPOILERS!!! A lot of folks aren't going to be happy about the CGI show are they?

Fresh off of gaining their newfound Powers of Grayskull, and fighting off a whole host of villains, our heroes -- Adam, Teela, Krass, Duncan, and Cringer -- face their most daunting challenge yet: spending their first night in their new home, Castle Grayskull! The teens do their best to settle in, but it's not so easy. The castle is definitely not what it seems: A labyrinth. A spooky puzzle-box of magic and mystery. Even its rooms have rooms! Follow along in this original graphic novel as our heroes battle monsters, flesh-eating snacks, and their own memories. The graphic novel will feature exclusive lore straight from the creators of the Netflix animated series, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Get ready for an action-packed adventure!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Hahahahahahaha. I'm leaving the thread.

Neat!

Amanda Deibert is one of the writers on the series. She was recently on that "Gay Geeks and Where To Find Them" WonderCon panel.

Screaming at "flesh-easting snacks"...lol
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    This is unexpected, but I don't mind

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad Rammy's gonna be in the spotlight. I'm excited to see what he looks like.

What did I just read?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    "The power is yours!"

Ah, good. We're stealing from Captain Planet now.

Court Magician
    "By your powers combined, I am Gaia the Green Goddess!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Neat!

Amanda Deibert is one of the writers on the series. She was recently on that "Gay Geeks and Where To Find Them" WonderCon panel.

Oh man, can't wait. Her work on the Al Gore Climate Changeapalooza and Wonder Woman '77 was both stunning and brave.

This is proof Mattel learned absolutely nothing from the Princesses of Power fiasco and hates us all. I was really hoping this new series would be a massive hit that sailed the franchise on, for years to come. But of course, we can't have nice things, we have to hire activists instead of writers.

Let the mediocrity begin!
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Ahhh, gosh darn it to heck.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Oh man, can't wait. Her work on the Al Gore Climate Changeapalooza and Wonder Woman '77 was both stunning and brave.

This is proof Mattel learned absolutely nothing from the Princesses of Power fiasco and hates us all. I was really hoping this new series would be a massive hit that sailed the franchise on, for years to come. But of course, we can't have nice things, we have to hire activists instead of writers.

Oh man... please not another Princesses of Power mess. You’d think with a property like MOTU, you would have a lot of highly experienced, proven writers willing to jump onboard. From there, you can make an entertaining cartoon for all ages. Instead they pick writers that get jobs because of their leanings, not their experience as actual writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Oh man... please not another Princesses of Power mess. You’d think with a property like MOTU, you would have a lot of highly experienced, proven writers willing to jump onboard. From there, you can make an entertaining cartoon for all ages. Instead they pick writers that get jobs because of their leanings, not their experience as actual writers.
    The days of hiring people in the entertainment industry based on their merit are gone, so I expect a certain amount of political nonsense thrown into anything Hollywood is creating these days. The question is whether or not Mattel are going to let things get out of hand. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    The days of hiring people in the entertainment industry based on their merit are gone, so I expect a certain amount of political nonsense thrown into anything Hollywood is creating these days. The question is whether or not Mattel are going to let things get out of hand. We'll see what happens.

Mattel have been extremely hands-off with this series thus far, so don't expect a responsible adult being there to reign the kids in during their sugar buzz. The extent of their involvement has been basically limited to signing off on the character designs and walking around aimlessly, giving everyone a thumbs up.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Mattel have been extremely hands-off with this series thus far, so don't expect a responsible adult being there to reign the kids in during their sugar buzz. The extent of their involvement has been basically limited to signing off on the character designs and walking around aimlessly, giving everyone a thumbs up.
    I was hoping this little revival would ensure Mattel keeping everything in line, but things aren't looking that way anymore. A series to please the older fans and one aimed at a younger generation seemed like a no brainer to lead into a movie that could work for all ages. With the two animated series being different this approach isn't really going to work. Not sure what Mattel is thinking anymore.

I was hoping this little revival would ensure Mattel keeping everything in line, but things aren't looking that way anymore. A series to please the older fans and one aimed at a younger generation seemed like a no brainer to lead into a movie that could work for all ages. With the two animated series being different this approach isn't really going to work. Not sure what Mattel is thinking anymore.
    I think initially they had a plan, which was to focus on the movie and toys, while letting Netflix oversee the two animated shows and material stemming from that.

When the movie died, it doesn't give Mattel much to do except sign off on whatever Netflix produces in the animated series'. So far, 100% of the creative decisions made at an executive level regarding the production of these shows, have been made by Netflix as far as I know.

Tangent:

Mattel could step up at any time and protect their IP. They're so decentralized and political (not world politics, but office politics) that if Tom in marketing says "hey, I think this show is going to be a major turd," his concerns will never make it to anyone that could do something about it. Conversely, if Tom's instincts prove right, he'll get the blame for not making his objections heard by the "right people."

On the other hand, if Tom is wrong and the show is a hit, he's told he's not being a "team player" or that his "vision doesn't align with ours" and he gets shown the door. This creates a climate of fear and yes-men/yes-women. Nobody has the chutzpah to call a spade a spade, so fans are inevitably left with the subconscious feeling that Mattel must surely hate them, because "look how they massacred my boy."

A lot of this goes all the way back to Jill Barad and her Game of Barbie Dreamhouse Thrones. She created an environment of hostility and espionage while simultaneously ensuring that no future CEO would ever have the power to rule with an iron fist again and possibly right course, because now the only real power to effect change is tied up in perpetual bureaucracy with the board of directors.*

*This was off topic and tangential, but I feel it's necessary backstory for fans who find themselves asking "why does this keep happening?"

Heroic Warrior

Wait, was there something wrong with Wonder Woman '77? I read a handful of issues and the Batman '66 crossover and I remember it being fine. Idk, maybe I missed the bad parts (the LCS where I used to live had a like deal where it was cheaper if you bought ten books or something on Monday, so I would throw in a random comic or two based on what I thought would be cool, and I picked up a handful of issues) or simply didn't know because I was like a kid at the time (I would have been in like middle school).

WW77 was the very definition of a comic book produced by a committee. The folks involved were chosen because they checked whatever boxes DC felt the need to mark off at that time, not because they had any talent. With the exception of Marc Andreyko and Trina Robbins, I don't think anyone involved was even alive in the seventies, which is why it was full of references to disco, 8-tracks and roller derby (because that's all that happened in the seventies according to hipster millennials) and why it (and BM66) treated the source material like it was stupid camp that needed exploitation.

It was kind of apparent in BM66/WW77, when Adam West Batman casually mentions how he murdered the Joker, how completely nihilistic and cringey the activists larping as writers approached the material. It's part of the whole "must destroy what everyone loves about the original" mindset these fake writers have.

These new MOTU books look and sound totally awesome, I can't wait to get them. I absolutely LOVE the new She-Ra series in all its perfection and I am sure the MOTU series will be brilliant too.

I absolutely love the Batman 66 and Wonder Woman 77 books too.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

It's part of the whole "must destroy what everyone loves about the original" mindset these fake writers have.
    See what Lucasfilm is doing with Star Wars for more evidence of this. They aren't subtle about it. At all.

See what Lucasfilm is doing with Star Wars for more evidence of this. They aren't subtle about it. At all.
    Is it Lucasfilm or Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    Is it Lucasfilm or Disney?
    Same thing these days, but you are right. I should have said Disney. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Here's another new book, Legends From Castle Grayskull
    Dude, first I thought you were joking. But the "teens do their best to settle in (...) flesh-eating snacks" Scooby-Doo bs is real.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I absolutely LOVE the new She-Ra series in all its perfection
    Perfectly fine, but pushing the lesbian, gay (or any other sexual) theme is not the direction I would want for MOTU. I tend to think 90% of the audience feel the same. To be honest, the only two people I know of who "liked" the show are gay and transgender. My kids (below 10) were really bored with She-Ra.

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing these days, but you are right. I should have said Disney. My apologies.
    I believe Lucas isnt a fan of the newer movies.
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-for...-disappointed/