Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEW He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Heroes and Villains Guidebook

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    That “mess” has been critically acclaimed, including winning this yearʼs GLAAD Award plus a Daytime Emmy. No other MotU media had ever before reached such milestones. So enough with the bashing against Noelle and her teamʼs superb work and achievements.
    I absolutely agree with you on all points!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Thank you.
    Less bitterness. More love!
    I absolutely agree!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    Somewhat unrelated, but I wanna really quickly mention that Noelle has done some great stuff outside of She-Ra. I mean, she wrote Nimona, Lumberjacks, and one of the best episodes of Bravest Warriors (which is great, it's kinda like Adventure Time with superheroes for an older audience)

Idk, I get that reboots can be controversial, but to say Noelle isn't a writer and merely an activist is just being ignorant. Like, yes, there's LGBTQ+ stuff in her work, but that's because she's a lesbian and she's dealt with a lot of LGBTQ issues. All writers draw upon personal experience for their work.

Without being overly political or inflammatory, I must say I found it incredibly disingenuous of Noelle to insist on the one hand that She-Ra had to look like a ten-year old boy "because we don't want to push sexuality on young children" - because "curvy woman" in a cartoon = "pushing sexuality on kids", I guess - but then make LGBT+ themes the entire raison d'etre of the She-Ra reboot. Like, in what way is THAT not "pushing sexuality on kids" in its own way? Pick a side and stick with it, y'know?

Even if I didn't like what they did with the She-Ra reboot - and I personally didn't - I could maybe have respected what they'd tried to do a bit more, if they were a bit more honest about What they were doing and Why. If you don't want the protagonist to be overly-attractive "because some girls aren't conventionally attractive and we don't want them to feel bad about themselves because they're not as 'hot' as She-Ra is", then just state that plainly and don't dance around it. If you want to make a LGBT+-centric kids' cartoon, then just do that. But saying that you're NOT trying to do A Thing and then turning around and doing that very same thing so long as it suits your personal "message"... well, that's disingenuous and dishonest.

I'm not entirely sure that the alleged audience for that show (kids under 10) even "needs" to be spoonfed that particular "message" to begin with, BUT that's a whole other conversation entirely. Nobody I personally know with young children knows or cares about She-Ra or any other current MOTU property in the first place (people outside the internet, I mean); but I know what they let their kids watch in general, and I don't know any parents personally who would have let their own kids watch the She-Ra reboot. "They don't need to see that kinda stuff." It is what it is.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Without being overly political or inflammatory, I must say I found it incredibly disingenuous of Noelle to insist on the one hand that She-Ra had to look like a ten-year old boy "because we don't want to push sexuality on young children" - because "curvy woman" in a cartoon = "pushing sexuality on kids", I guess - but then make LGBT+ themes the entire raison d'etre of the She-Ra reboot. Like, in what way is THAT not "pushing sexuality on kids" in its own way? Pick a side and stick with it, y'know?

Even if I didn't like what they did with the She-Ra reboot - and I personally didn't - I could maybe have respected what they'd tried to do a bit more, if they were a bit more honest about What they were doing and Why. If you don't want the protagonist to be overly-attractive "because some girls aren't conventionally attractive and we don't want them to feel bad about themselves because they're not as 'hot' as She-Ra is", then just state that plainly and don't dance around it. If you want to make a LGBT+-centric kids' cartoon, then just do that. But saying that you're NOT trying to do A Thing and then turning around and doing that very same thing so long as it suits your personal "message"... well, that's disingenuous and dishonest.

I'm not entirely sure that the alleged audience for that show (kids under 10) even "needs" to be spoonfed that particular "message" to begin with, BUT that's a whole other conversation entirely. Nobody I personally know with young children knows or cares about She-Ra or any other current MOTU property in the first place (people outside the internet, I mean); but I know what they let their kids watch in general, and I don't know any parents personally who would have let their own kids watch the She-Ra reboot. "They don't need to see that kinda stuff." It is what it is.
    You're making LGBTQ themes sound like something horrible that kids need to be protected from and that is extremely offensive. If anything, it is the racism, misogyny and homophobia that they need to be protected from. It's not like the characters are having sex at the drop of a hat or anything. Teaching diversity, open-mindedness and open-heartedness should be taught to people from an early age to fight the horrors of bigotry and hate and to show that people come in all sizes and shapes and that being a particular body size is not something to be derided or scorned.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

I'm not making anything sound like anything. I don't even have kids, nor will I ever.

I'm simply pointing out that a lot of parents don't want their kids watching that kind of show. No matter how you feel about it, that's the way of the world. Some would, and some won't. Most of the ones I know are in the "won't" category by a very wide margin. What you take away from that information is entirely up to you. I'm just repeating what people tell me, nothing more.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I'm not making anything sound like anything. I don't even have kids, nor will I ever.

I'm simply pointing out that a lot of parents don't want their kids watching that kind of show. No matter how you feel about it, that's the way of the world. Some would, and some won't. Most of the ones I know are in the "won't" category by a very wide margin. What you take away from that information is entirely up to you. I'm just repeating what people tell me, nothing more.
    Well, those people are at best simply wrong, and at worst have extremely questionable or disturbing "values".

A lot of things are "the way of the world" but that doesn't make it right, and saying things like "that kind of show" has very negative connotations.

I think I'll personally wait and see how their kids turn out as young adults and beyond, before I cast any aspersions on their parental values.

Again, without getting too political, you might be surprised to know that most of those people I'm speaking of lean more liberal in their overall "values" and have no problems with LGBT+ stuff in general. They just think their young kids don't need to see it. No matter whether I agree or disagree with that position, their kids are their business. I don't even necessarily think that if those kids were older it would be as much of an issue, or perhaps even be any issue at all. Perhaps some of those parents would let their kids watch shows like the She-Ra reboot if those kids were 12-13; I wouldn't know, because their kids aren't that old yet. But 10-and-under, it's a hard "Nope".

As these themes have become more prevalent in TV and movies across the board, and more and more people in my family (and my wife's family) have had kids, it's a topic that comes up more often in conversation. Once more, I'm merely Reporting what I've Observed on the subject. But if you assume that every single parent who doesn't want their young child to watch shows with a focus on LGBT+ content are all "bigots", well... I respectfully assure you that you're very much mistaken in that assumption.

Not trying to agitate you, merely explaining.

Court Magician
    My excitement for this has suddenly diminished. I hope this is better than netflix she-ra.
    At least Krass isn't a new character, which makes the blurb strangely better.

It is to my eternal shame that I never knew Ram-Man's "real" name until now. I will try and be better going forward.

To be honest Riki the LGBT stuff in Netflix She-Ra is massively overblown (both by those who praise and criticism it). All it amounts to are a hand full of gay characters, most of whom are pretty minor.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Somewhat unrelated, but I wanna really quickly mention that Noelle has done some great stuff outside of She-Ra. I mean, she wrote Nimona, Lumberjacks, and one of the best episodes of Bravest Warriors (which is great, it's kinda like Adventure Time with superheroes for an older audience)

Idk, I get that reboots can be controversial, but to say Noelle isn't a writer and merely an activist is just being ignorant. Like, yes, there's LGBTQ+ stuff in her work, but that's because she's a lesbian and she's dealt with a lot of LGBTQ issues. All writers draw upon personal experience for their work.
    Noelle Stevenson absolutely did not deserve being handed a showrunner position with her work history. Going from writing a handful of episodes to overseeing and executive producing an entire project is ridiculous.

I don't think Kevin Smith is qualified either, despite his resume being much more impressive. It's just people in Hollywood being given jobs because of who they are and it's unfortunate.

Heroic Warrior
    Give Smith credit, heís done numerous films. Disney took one look at Nimona after the Blue Sky purchase (and SPOPís miserable views) and canceled it.

It annoys me when people complain about the LGBTQ themes but those same people have no gripe against any perceived heterosexual relationships. Complete hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    I don't think Kevin Smith is qualified either, despite his resume being much more impressive. It's just people in Hollywood being given jobs because of who they are and it's unfortunate.
    I'd agree with this. I was a huge fan of Kevin Smith from way, way back, but I have no idea what history he has, if any, with MOTU. I know that his Batman comics were not good, so that makes me nervous.

I'd agree with this. I was a huge fan of Kevin Smith from way, way back, but I have no idea what history he has, if any, with MOTU. I know that his Batman comics were not good, so that makes me nervous.
    I used to be a fan too, back when he didn't live in a cloud of weed smoke all day every day. His history with MoTU doesn't really exist, on an episode of his show Comic Book Men he said he never liked MoTU so he has no connection to the material. Any connection made now is through that filter of being stoned and overly emotional.

I think anyone who's spent as much time around Jay Mewes as Kevin has was at the LEAST "stoned by association" for a good chunk of those years.

I doubt that he went nuts because he suddenly decided to smoke more than he used to. I can't help but notice a lot of his stuff changed after her had a kid; people often change quite a lot from that experience, so it wouldn't shock me if a ton of his own sensibilities changed after he became a Dad, more than anything. Like, his general sense of humor was always "dumb", but it didn't used to be so "goofy" until after he had a kid. I'unno, just something I noticed.

I picked up Jay and Silent Bob Reboot for like $6 but I haven't watched it yet. Kind of afraid to. I heard it's not very good. We'll see. But yeah, not sure he was a great pick for MOTU. Guess "we'll see" on that, as well.

Heroic Warrior
    He did write some of the better episodes of The Flash.

Iíve said it before, the goal for these shows is to try to make it into the Netflix Top 10, which isnít impossible for animation, but SPOP never did. So they need to be closer to Demon Slayer than SPOP in terms of total views. That shouldnít be that hard, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    He did write some of the better episodes of The Flash.

Iíve said it before, the goal for these shows is to try to make it into the Netflix Top 10, which isnít impossible for animation, but SPOP never did. So they need to be closer to Demon Slayer than SPOP in terms of total views. That shouldnít be that hard, is it?
    Writing a good episode of a CW show is the lowest of low bars.

I think with the money Mattel threw at the cast getting into the top 10 is doable.

According to an executive, DreamWorks spent about 8 months searching for someone to showrun on She-Ra and were looking for a creator "to bring both a love of the source material but a desire to reinvent it." They picked Noelle because, based on her pitch, it was clear that she was passionate and the presentation was coming from a place of love of She-Ra.

Based on what I have read they didn't just throw her into the showrunner role without any direction. She had some mentoring to become the leader that she needed to be.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Based on what I have read they didn't just throw her into the showrunner role without any direction. She had some mentoring to become the leader that she needed to be.
    Throwing an unqualified person into training before being handed a leadership position is a pretty stupid thing to do. They should have spent more time finding someone with the proper experience in the industry, especially someone who has worked on shows for the demographic She-Ra would cater to. Noelle did reinvent it, I'll give her that, but she left behind a lot of viewership in the older fans and children demographics.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    Throwing an unqualified person into training before being handed a leadership position is a pretty stupid thing to do. They should have spent more time finding someone with the proper experience in the industry, especially someone who has worked on shows for the demographic She-Ra would cater to. Noelle did reinvent it, I'll give her that, but she left behind a lot of viewership in the older fans and children demographics.
    The last one is the kicker. We could argue semantics all day but she was not successful. All there is to it. The show, like Dreamwork's ill-fated Voltron remake, was a flop with its primary demographic since the people behind didn't get what their primary demographic wanted to see.

Heroic Warrior
    I think anyone who's spent as much time around Jay Mewes as Kevin has was at the LEAST "stoned by association" for a good chunk of those years.

I doubt that he went nuts because he suddenly decided to smoke more than he used to. I can't help but notice a lot of his stuff changed after her had a kid; people often change quite a lot from that experience, so it wouldn't shock me if a ton of his own sensibilities changed after he became a Dad, more than anything. Like, his general sense of humor was always "dumb", but it didn't used to be so "goofy" until after he had a kid. I'unno, just something I noticed.

I picked up Jay and Silent Bob Reboot for like $6 but I haven't watched it yet. Kind of afraid to. I heard it's not very good. We'll see. But yeah, not sure he was a great pick for MOTU. Guess "we'll see" on that, as well.
    Honestly, Jay and Silent Bob Reboot isn't very good, but imo it's better than Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Clerks 2 (although, those are probably my least favorites in the View Askewniverse series).

Idk, as far as MOTU goes, television, and especially animation is a far more collaborative effort than film. And it's not like he can't do more adventure focused things (Dogma's one of his best imo). Idk, I have hope.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It annoys me when people complain about the LGBTQ themes but those same people have no gripe against any perceived heterosexual relationships. Complete hypocrites.
    Absolutely. Idk, when I was younger, I thought that heterosexual relationships were the only kind that existed and felt like I was broken somehow because I didn't like girls. Idk, that's not a good feeling and coupling that with the abuse I had to deal with at the hands of my father and stepmom, I did some pretty bad things that I don't think I'm allowed to talk about here.

Idk, I'm not saying force everyone to be gay or anything, but just knowing that gay people exist is probably something that helps prevent situations like those.

Court Magician
    I think I'll personally wait and see how their kids turn out as young adults and beyond, before I cast any aspersions on their parental values.

Again, without getting too political, you might be surprised to know that most of those people I'm speaking of lean more liberal in their overall "values" and have no problems with LGBT+ stuff in general. They just think their young kids don't need to see it. No matter whether I agree or disagree with that position, their kids are their business. I don't even necessarily think that if those kids were older it would be as much of an issue, or perhaps even be any issue at all. Perhaps some of those parents would let their kids watch shows like the She-Ra reboot if those kids were 12-13; I wouldn't know, because their kids aren't that old yet. But 10-and-under, it's a hard "Nope".

As these themes have become more prevalent in TV and movies across the board, and more and more people in my family (and my wife's family) have had kids, it's a topic that comes up more often in conversation. Once more, I'm merely Reporting what I've Observed on the subject. But if you assume that every single parent who doesn't want their young child to watch shows with a focus on LGBT+ content are all "bigots", well... I respectfully assure you that you're very much mistaken in that assumption.

Not trying to agitate you, merely explaining.
    If I may step in here, I understand what you're saying. However, the part that confuses me about parents not wanting their children to watch shows with LGBT+ themes is that these same people will gladly show their kids Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, or The Little Mermaid--Or any other of the kids media that involves romance. Miraculous Ladybug is one show that's fairly popular, and involves the two protagonists constantly crushing and fantasizing about one another.

All of the above are commonly shown to young kids and feature romance and even kissing. In fact, it's a central theme of those movies. If it's fine for kids to watch those on repeat, why do some people consider it 'too mature' when it's two women who want to kiss instead of a man and a woman?

The problem here is that these people seem to assume that gay love is somehow less 'pure' than straight love. Like you said, I'm not saying this to agitate you, but to try and explain the situation and why people jump to the 'bigoted' response. It can definitely feel like calling someone a 'bigot' over this comes out of nowhere, and I agree that name-calling is never a good way to go about a converstaion, but people get annoyed over the implications this situation carries.

And, personally, I see their point. Unless there's some other reason why people are treating gay romance differently than straight, which I'd be glad to hear. Seriously, I would really want another explanation.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by KNight( View Post
    If I may step in here, I understand what you're saying. However, the part that confuses me about parents not wanting their children to watch shows with LGBT+ themes is that these same people will gladly show their kids Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, or The Little Mermaid--Or any other of the kids media that involves romance. Miraculous Ladybug is one show that's fairly popular, and involves the two protagonists constantly crushing and fantasizing about one another.

All of the above are commonly shown to young kids and feature romance and even kissing. In fact, it's a central theme of those movies. If it's fine for kids to watch those on repeat, why do some people consider it 'too mature' when it's two women who want to kiss instead of a man and a woman?

The problem here is that these people seem to assume that gay love is somehow less 'pure' than straight love. Like you said, I'm not saying this to agitate you, but to try and explain the situation and why people jump to the 'bigoted' response. It can definitely feel like calling someone a 'bigot' over this comes out of nowhere, and I agree that name-calling is never a good way to go about a converstaion, but people get annoyed over the implications this situation carries.

And, personally, I see their point. Unless there's some other reason why people are treating gay romance differently than straight, which I'd be glad to hear. Seriously, I would really want another explanation.
    It's always bothered me how so many people assume gay relationships are just meaningless sex. I'm gay, I've dated a few people, and I've only had sex once, and that was with someone I genuinely loved and thought might be the one for me (I was wrong, but I'm not gonna air my dirty laundry here). Idk, I feel it's probably leftover stigma from when gay marriage was illegal and marriage being considered by a lot of people to be the difference between casual love and "real" love. I mean, there definitely are casual hookups between gay people, but that also exists for straight people, bi people, etc.

Idk, I'm gonna stop before this gets political, but hookup culture isn't as prominent in the gay community as people tend to make it out to be, at least not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by KNight( View Post

Great and Thank You!!
    Lord Hordak