Thread: NEW BOOK: Masters of the Universe Ork-O's Day Off (ABRAMS Fall 2021)

NEW BOOK: Masters of the Universe Ork-O's Day Off (ABRAMS Fall 2021)

Go to page 177 (More info. at the link)

https://issuu.com/hnabooks/docs/f21-...b004adcb3ab5ee

Masters of the Universe: Ork-O's Day Off

BY TOM ANGLEBERGER

Award-winning-author-illustrator Tom Angleberger brings Mattel's Masters of the Universe together for a new adventure in the first book of this middle-grade series.

Full of sorcery and epic showdowns, this highly illustrated novel introduces young readers to the Masters of the Universe - starting with Ork-O, a zany techno-magician who is one of He-Man's closest allies. Author Tom Angleberger brings his signature humor, crafting ability, and wit to this series starter, perfect for young fantasy and super hero fans.

SPECIFICATIONS:

• Black and white illustrations throughout

• 176 pages

• Hardcover POB

• PUB MONTH: OCTOBER

• AGES 8 to 12
    Last edited by Tallstar; April 19, 2021 at 02:27pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Ork-O? .....why?

Court Magician
    Techno-magician? I'm guessing that as a young readers book this is supposed to be in the CGI cartoon's universe, but wasn't Gwildor confirmed to be in that in its December 2019 announcement? Will they both be? Did the cast change?

Court Magician
    I had literally ONE standard for this show, that they didn't completely overhaul Orko's character, and THIS is what they do????

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverToad View Post
    I had literally ONE standard for this show, that they didn't completely overhaul Orko's character, and THIS is what they do????
    At least he's not evil

- - - Updated - - -

I really liked the Origami Yoda series as a kid and more recently, I really liked his Return of the Jedi novelization (he wrote the new Disney canon version) and his story in From a Certain Point of View (which is a Star Wars anthology).

I'm excited to see what this book entails.

Renaming Orko to Ork-O is odd, although, it does kinda fit early MOTU naming conventions better (Man-At-Arms, He-Man, Tee-La, Mer-Man, etc), so that lends credence to the this takes inspiration from the early minicomics theory, as does the techno magician thing (he might be a remnant of the pre-war society or something).

Will this be the first ever official MOTU novel? Fans have been requesting them for years.

Not an Orko fan, but I hope this is good, and I hope all you Orko fans like it!
    Odd Man Out

Court Magician
    Ok so i know I had a bit of a rushed reaction but this is still bugging me. What the heck, there's literally so much they could have done with the character as is but instead they're just completely changing everything and if they don't give him a good enough backstory or motivation, he will literally have no choice but to become pointless comic relief. They're literally pointing a gun at their own feet as we speak. I don't want to say they shot themselves in the foot yet because for all we know they might actually have a plan, but BOY are they making it difficult for me to remain optimistic.

Main thing is I sure hope they don't try to carry over these changes into future iterations, whatever they may be. I for one hate the name change and the possible/implied character change (worst case scenario they've turned him into a glorified roomba) and would absolutely just leave the fandom altogether if it became a normalized constant.

Absolutely awesome, I can't wait to get all the new MOTU books!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

It may not be for us, but this is what the MotU franchise needs in order to keep going: new blood. Star Trek has a new kids show coming out in Nickelodeon called Prodigy, and I think that this new He-Man show is going for to attract a younger audience. And books like these will help reach a larger audience, or perhaps give the younger audience something else to buy, read, and be interested in.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    It may not be for us, but this is what the MotU franchise needs in order to keep going: new blood. Star Trek has a new kids show coming out in Nickelodeon called Prodigy, and I think that this new He-Man show is going for to attract a younger audience. And books like these will help reach a larger audience, or perhaps give the younger audience something else to buy, read, and be interested in.
    THIS!

I'm excited we're getting stuff like this for the new iteration of Masters. Every little thing is going to upset somebody out there, no doubt, but overall this sounds like Mattel is really all-in on the property and looking at ways to grow it beyond the existing fan-base. Which is smart, necessary, and surely going to offer something entertaining and new to us old fans as well.

Techno-magician, eh? Maybe his magic won't be such a hot mess after all in the new version... wouldn't that be refreshing? This also reinforces my belief that it's going to have some 200X vibes with science and magic being a bit more integrated than Filmation (but was often hinted at in the original mini-comics).
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Pretty much agree with that. Can't wait to see what the characters look like.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Techno-magician, eh? Maybe his magic won't be such a hot mess after all in the new version... wouldn't that be refreshing? This also reinforces my belief that it's going to have some 200X vibes with science and magic being a bit more integrated than Filmation (but was often hinted at in the original mini-comics).
    Outside of the bizarre name change, the techno-magician thing does sound intriguing. I wonder if he'll still look like Orko or if he'll have a techno look to him...

Did Mattel let the rights to "Orko" expire? He just got an Origins toy. Techno-magic sounds a little odd for Orko. I'm still going to call him "Orko", unless I don't like the new Orko. Then, I will call him "Ork-O" and pretend he is someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Did Mattel let the rights to "Orko" expire? Techno-magic sounds a little odd for Orko.
    That was my first thought, honestly. The change to Ork-O just seems strange, like a Battle Fist/Fisto kind of thing.

Court Magician
    yeah this is just.... a completely new character. Which sucks because I was excited to see him come back into mainstream and become a marketable plushie or something but i guess not ):

Quote Originally Posted by RiverToad View Post
    yeah this is just.... a completely new character. Which sucks because I was excited to see him come back into mainstream and become a marketable plushie or something but i guess not ):
    Hey, the Revelations Orko will be just how you remember him and we may see Orko merch from that. Plus, eventually, they'll take a stab at a movie again and hopefully it's not inspired by this newer stuff.

I'm excited!

Plus... one step closer to getting a new MOTU video game!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    I'm intrigued. I know I am in the minority but Filmation Orko makes me cringe nowadays and even as a kid I wasn't the biggest fan of his, so I do hope they don't make him as campy or weak in magic.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I'm intrigued. I know I am in the minority but Filmation Orko makes me cringe nowadays and even as a kid I wasn't the biggest fan of his, so I do hope they don't make him as campy or weak in magic.
    Absolutely. I'm not the biggest Filmation fan (I like everything they added to the lore and kinda like the POP cartoon, but I can't stand the main Filmation cartoon, I feel it's one of those things that's not good if you don't have nostalgia for it), so I may not be a person who should be allowed to have an opinion on Orko, but he's the most painful part of the show to watch. Like, he's MOTU's Jar Jar Binks imo, just insufferable.

Idk, I hope he's kinda goofy, but competent. Like, slapstick is barely funny in live action, it's even less funny in animation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I'm excited!

Plus... one step closer to getting a new MOTU video game!
    A MOTU video game would be a dream come true. Mattel seems to be down to do AAA games (they just announced a Hot Wheels racing game that looks great), and MOTU would be a great fit for either a Warriors style game or something more open world based.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Did Mattel let the rights to "Orko" expire? He just got an Origins toy. Techno-magic sounds a little odd for Orko. I'm still going to call him "Orko", unless I don't like the new Orko. Then, I will call him "Ork-O" and pretend he is someone else.
    Maybe all of his magic revolves around strobe lights and rave music

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Absolutely. I'm not the biggest Filmation fan (I like everything they added to the lore and kinda like the POP cartoon, but I can't stand the main Filmation cartoon, I feel it's one of those things that's not good if you don't have nostalgia for it), so I may not be a person who should be allowed to have an opinion on Orko, but he's the most painful part of the show to watch. Like, he's MOTU's Jar Jar Binks imo, just insufferable.

Idk, I hope he's kinda goofy, but competent. Like, slapstick is barely funny in live action, it's even less funny in animation.

- - - Updated - - -

A MOTU video game would be a dream come true. Mattel seems to be down to do AAA games (they just announced a Hot Wheels racing game that looks great), and MOTU would be a great fit for either a Warriors style game or something more open world based.
    Just imagine an open-world MOTU game by Ubisoft.

I'd never leave the house again!