Thread: Official Marvel Studios Shang-Chi movie thread 2021

Official Marvel Studios Shang-Chi movie thread 2021

Marvel Studios dropped the official Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings teaser earlier:

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I'm definitely feeling MCU withdrawal, so I'm looking forward to this. Thankfully WandaVision has provided a nice stop gap in the interim.

So are these the same ten rings that the Mandarin uses?
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Heroic Warrior
    Caught the trailer for this yesterday. Looks pretty good. Donít know much about the mandarin except for his exploits with the x-men over the years particularly with psylocke and wolverine in the acts of vengeance storyline. Although I see they have changed the rings from the comics to bracelets in the movie

Kooks pretty good. Although I am more excited more for the Black Widow movie.

This looks really good. I'm probably more excited for it because I enjoy martial arts movies in general. Will be really cool to see one with Marvel Studios quality.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

This looks like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Yeah. Supposedly. Which also means that they are connected to Fing Fang Foom which I do hope shows up in this.

I do like they made them more arm bands/rings which is actually a defensive tool in martial arts to block sword strikes etc so thatís a really smart redesign and less hokey than a person blinged out wearing 10 oversized super bowl rings lol.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Breaking News: Tom Brady to play the Mandarin in Shang-Chi sequel

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Breaking News: Tom Brady to play the Mandarin in Shang-Chi sequel

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/L2mO...21.50.33.0.png
    LOL. But a white man playing the Mandarin... Triggered reactions incomming.

At this point, I will watch and be excited for anything the MCU puts out. I have been so impressed with the MCU these past few years that they have my complete trust. I don't need to see a trailer or know what characters are in it. If it's MCU, I'm in.

And I say that as a big DC comics fan. DC, however, does not have my trust on their live-action stuff.

But, this trailer looks great. A martial arts MCU movie is perfect.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

See this is what cracks me up...I love both Marvel & DC but Marvel is KILLING it and it doesn't seem like they are slowing down...

At least one of my comic companies get's it.....

Just finished Falcon/Winter Soldier bring on Loki and then Hawkeye......

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    At this point, I will watch and be excited for anything the MCU puts out. I have been so impressed with the MCU these past few years that they have my complete trust. I don't need to see a trailer or know what characters are in it. If it's MCU, I'm in.

And I say that as a big DC comics fan. DC, however, does not have my trust on their live-action stuff.

But, this trailer looks great. A martial arts MCU movie is perfect.

Shang-Chi is a fun movie...

On it's own merits, it's fantastic... but, as part of the MCU pantheon, it's merely mediocre.

I felt that it was about 45 minutes too long and, worse, the end battle was LAME. (I was so primed for a big climactic kung-fu battle between father and son, instead, I was treated to a bunch of CGI nonsense... )

On the whole, I'd recommend it... but, it's one of those Marvel movies that I don't think I would ever return to watch again. (I think I would just watch Super Cop or Drunken Master instead.)

That post-credits scene though!

It's always good to see Bruce and especially Carol! I think that the ten rings definitely have a tie to the Eternals...

Also

was anyone else as angry as I was that they didn't just make the big bad monster at the end Fin Fang Foom?!? Talk about a missed opportunity...

On it's own merits, it's fantastic... but, as part of the MCU pantheon, it's merely mediocre.

I felt that it was about 45 minutes too long and, worse, the end battle was LAME. (I was so primed for a big climactic kung-fu battle between father and son, instead, I was treated to a bunch of CGI nonsense... )

On the whole, I'd recommend it... but, it's one of those Marvel movies that I don't think I would ever return to watch again. (I think I would just watch Super Cop or Drunken Master instead.)
    Completely disagree!

I thought Shang-Chi was fantastic! Well made movie with no weak actors or plot points. TONS of martial arts action throughout the entire movie. Even some sprinkles of solid humor here and there.

End battle was really cool with the CGI action and gave us a true villain for Shang-Chi to showcase his power against. MUCH better to do it this way and show he's capable of fighting higher tier bad guys IMO.

If you're into martial arts and Asian culture, this movie is a blast! I personally loved it and recommend it.

It took a second to notice that Bruce was "Bruce" in the end credit scene and not professor Hulk. I'm guessing this is gearing up for the She-hulk show.

It's funny you say this cause I heard the same thing from a few people who saw it over the weekend. I still haven't decided if I will go and see it or just wait 3 months till it pops up on D+.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I saw it on the weekend in IMAX and thought it was a good film overall. I enjoyed the fight scenes and I really liked The Mandarin. He exuded confidence and menace without having to say or do much. I simply believed he was not to be trifled with. I thought Shang Chi (I forget the actorís name) did a good job as well. I found Awkwafina a bit on the annoying side but I could tolerate her. Overall, Iíd give it a 7.5 out 10.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I saw it on the weekend in IMAX and thought it was a good film overall. I enjoyed the fight scenes and I really liked The Mandarin. He exuded confidence and menace without having to say or do much. I simply believed he was not to be trifled with. I thought Shang Chi (I forget the actorís name) did a good job as well. I found Awkwafina a bit on the annoying side but I could tolerate her. Overall, Iíd give it a 7.5 out 10.
    Yeah, I was never an "Awkwafina" fan... but, thankfully, she doesn't wear out her welcome too quickly.

I think a 7.5 out of 10 is a fair score for this movie.

Even going into it with low expectations, it kept my attention - but, just barely.

I blame two things:

1. I grew up with VHS tapes of classic Lee, Hung, Chan, Li, Yeung, etc. films that my brother and I got at the local Asian market.
    2. I am growing increasingly tired of the over-reliance on CGI to sugar-coat everything in post production of high-dollar movies.

This is the one film that Marvel/Disney did not need so many special effects... the martial arts should have been the draw, not the overused cgi fare we've seen in a dozen other flicks.

2. I am growing increasingly tired of the over-reliance on CGI to sugar-coat everything in post production of high-dollar movies.
    confuse.jpg

I mean, isn't CGI literally every Marvel movie? I mean that's ALL movies like Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor are. Tons of CGI.

This is the one film that Marvel/Disney did not need so many special effects... the martial arts should have been the draw, not the overused cgi fare we've seen in a dozen other flicks.
    So I think they could have gone two routes. Shang-Chi, the street level martial artist that fights slightly powerful street level threats OR...they give him these new 10 rings and showcase him fighting/defeating a high level threat.

They went the second route (which I think was the absolute right way to go) so that he can stand side by side with the likes of Black Panther, Cap, Hawkeye, and Spidey.

Plus the way they incorporated the 10 rings...it's perfect for a martial artist. No other fighter on the planet would be able to use these rings to their fullest potential.

I also can't help but notice how much martial arts were in the film, even at the end.