Thread: To Grade or Not To Grade......this is the Question

To Grade or Not To Grade......this is the Question

Okay,

Looking at you, videogame experts. A few weeks ago I was doing some spring cleaning, and was looking through boxes that have been unopened and untouched in almost 20 years.

In one of these boxes, I came upon a sealed copy of Ninja Gaiden 3 for the NES. To be honest, I forgot I even had this as I faintly remember buying it for a few bucks in 2001 from Yahoo! Auctions. In doing some research, I know one of these sold for nearly $1,000 last year given the rarity, so my question is, should I bite the bullet and pay to have this graded? Don't plan on keeping it, just wondering if grading is really worth it in terms of enhancing the value.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Okay,

Looking at you, videogame experts. A few weeks ago I was doing some spring cleaning, and was looking through boxes that have been unopened and untouched in almost 20 years.

In one of these boxes, I came upon a sealed copy of Ninja Gaiden 3 for the NES. To be honest, I forgot I even had this as I faintly remember buying it for a few bucks in 2001 from Yahoo! Auctions. In doing some research, I know one of these sold for nearly $1,000 last year given the rarity, so my question is, should I bite the bullet and pay to have this graded? Don't plan on keeping it, just wondering if grading is really worth it in terms of enhancing the value.
    Personally, I am currently looking for a loose and working ninja gaiden 3 with manual and $90 seems to be the going rate for it in that condition. I am by no means an expert when it comes to vintage game prices but I do know that Ninja Gaiden 3 is a fairly rare game and that high graded NES games seem to be going for crazy prices at the moment. I’m not sure what is driving the prices nor how long these prices will last. But if you have no love for this game, I would say strike while the iron is hot, get it graded (if it is in high quality condition) and sell, sell, sell...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Iím not sure what is driving the prices nor how long these prices will last. But if you have no love for this game, I would say strike while the iron is hot, get it graded (if it is in high quality condition) and sell, sell, sell...
    I completely agree with this.

I don't like thinking about it, but I think not so far off in the future our generation will slow down on our nostalgia purchases and certain high demand and value items will decrease in value.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Master of New Adventures!
    Maybe a $100 investment for a potential $1,000 ROI? Even if you only end up with $500, I'll take that deal any day of the week.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 21, 2021 at 09:06pm.

Thanks for the suggestions, I may just go ahead and get this graded 🙂.

Master of New Adventures!
    Please keep us updated and the result. Interesting and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I may just go ahead and get this graded 🙂.