Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat movie (2021)

Mortal Kombat movie (2021)

This looks promising.

Heroic Warrior
    Watched this the other day, it was an okay popcorn flick but nothing groundbreaking. Gory in places with some good fight scenes, but lacked character and storyline was a bit flat. Enjoyable nonetheless.

Unfortunately, it sounds like it gets the gore and Fatalities right, but gets a lot else wrong, particularly with regard to story and characterization.

Certain fundamental elements of the MK lore simply are not respected, and the made-up "audience avatar" character Cole could (and should) be just about any other MK character and it wouldn't change the movie in any substantial way, other than giving purists one less thing to be annoyed about. This movie apparently gives them plenty to be annoyed about, so yeah, Cole should've been swapped out for a real MK character. Lord knows there's only about 95 others to pick from.

A LOT of people are even saying it isn't even as good as the original MK movie, which I swear still holds up well for what it is, but given that it's 2021, technology has come so far, the lore is more established and they didn't shy away from the gore this time... to hear so many people sincerely say "The first one is actually still better" is very disappointing to hear.

By all accounts, the ones who will enjoy it the MOST don't care about the MK mythos at all and are only in it for the Fatalities and the chop-socky stuff. If that's your only reason for entry, you should be well-served. Most others seem to think it's "pretty good" to "just okay". People who do actually care about the MK lore - and there's more of them than you think - are various degrees of annoyed by the story, which takes some pretty huge liberties, and not for the better.

I look forward to seeing it soon, and I do expect to enjoy it. But I thought for sure this would overtake the original in my mind (and I do like that movie, too), and now I have serious doubts about that. Guess we'll see.

I'm a huge Sub-Zero fan, though, and he supposedly steals the show in a lot of ways. So I'm guaranteed to like at least a lot of it.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I was really hoping the fight between actors Sanada and Taslim would be a good indication of a more involved story.

But after reading some more about the plot and finding out about a character created for the movie, my one persistent thought is ... WHY?

Yeah, in both good and bad reviews of the movie I haven't seen anyone actually say that they like Cole (the FAKE MK character made up for the movie). Except for one guy on another forum who decided early on that he was gonna like him just because everybody else said it was a dumb idea. And I discount that.

Pretty much everyone agrees that it could have been ANY other character, one actually from the MK lore, and the movie would be exactly the same.

It reads to me like some Hollywood writer just wanting to put "their stamp" on the franchise. AND, of course, collect royalty checks for all eternity. Most people expect Cole to be in the next game, and future ones, and the guy who created him will inevitably get a cut of that.

But yeah, should've been a real MK character. Definitely.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    Started off with breakneck pacing, nothing could breath, then it settled a bit, before rushing quickly to a conclusion. Movie was far too short and a story of it's calibre demanded more

To me, it came across as "Order now and get the first 90 minutes free" and you're expecting the rest with the full purchase.

Kabal and Kano were the scene-stealers with just how awful all their lines were.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Started off with breakneck pacing, nothing could breath, then it settled a bit, before rushing quickly to a conclusion. Movie was far too short and a story of it's calibre demanded more

To me, it came across as "Order now and get the first 90 minutes free" and you're expecting the rest with the full purchase.

Kabal and Kano were the scene-stealers with just how awful all their lines were.
    What I wanna know is, "Whatever happened to ZariusOne?"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    What I wanna know is, "Whatever happened to ZariusOne?"
    "This username is already in use" is my go-to answer each time for that.

Highs and lows of registering on forums.

I quite enjoyed it overall for what it is. I would have prefered the main character to be an actual MK character. Why not just have the main character be Liu Kang, Jax or Johnny Cage etc.
    The fight scenes were very good though like a MK movie should be.
    I would have liked to have seen more MK characters in the movie...but hopefully in a sequel.
    Now I want to watch the older movies.

Bang Your Head
    Well... it was a movie.
    It felt like it was put together by someone who knew nothing about MK, other than it was a fighting video game and they were given just the basics on everyone.

Cole could have been easily Johnny Cage. Either no one believes he is the fighter he is in the films and he resorts to cage fighting on the weekends to prove to the people that doubt him that he can fight. Or, he is a washed up actor and cage fighting is what he needs to do in order to pay the bills.
    Cole's character went from quiet, to having a huge boost of confidence that came out of nowhere (very noticeable when they are in the Void and he is the one giving out orders (not Raiden, not Jax) and it came off very weird. Slow your role buddy. I don't think we needed Cole and the backstory of him being a descendant of Scorpion. That dynamic always worked with Liu and Kung.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero could have been fleshed out a bit more other than Sub-Zero wanting to end Scorpion's bloodline.

The dragon MacGuffin could have been entirely removed from the film and nothing would have changed.

Goro was treated like just a regular lackey, and only had that throwaway line by Shang that acknowledges him being a prince.

I could have done without Kano running his mouth every 2.074 seconds. Nothing he said landed.

I can't remember which fight it was, but two fights were taking place at the same time and it got annoying with them cutting back and fourth between the two.

It was very weird seeing Raiden being portrayed by a non white guy

Visually, this movie was great, and I wanted to see more of Outworld. That seems to be the thing with movies over the past decade or so, they sacrifice story for visuals and humor.

Would I buy and watch this movie again? Yeah, I'm just not in a rush to do so.

There is a 3 min video on HBO Max "Mortal Kombat: From Game to Screen", it's not worth watching...

I was pretty bummed with the writing, script, acting and fight-choreography in this one...

I consider myself well-versed in the MK mythos, and this movie missed the mark by a football field.

As already mentioned, by literally everyone who has seen the movie, the character of Cole was completely unnecessary. But, even more so, his origin ruins so much of the established MK storyline... and just seems so ridiculous.

Important characters were given bit-parts, dialogue seemed to be done in one take, the CGI blood which was added to the (relatively few) fights looked out of place. Even some of the most well-known character relationships were cast aside... like Kano and Sonya. Their interactions are so terribly incorrect that I have a hard time believing anyone even cared about the franchise at all.

Such a missed opportunity.

The story from Mortal Kombat 9, 10, and 11 is the penultimate script. It is already written... why add so much filler and remove so much lore??

I'm not a huge fan of Paul Anderson's MK movie... but, at least it got the basics right.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    I have no clue to the back story of MK except from the first movie and the first few games. That said Why do they think they have to make a super detailed story? If they arenít going to do it right to me less is more. Wasnít terrible but like always they killed off characters they didnít need too. I also didnít like the going back and forth with the different fight scenes. On a plus side they set up for a second one if it does well though.

Goro was the worst. My favorite character treated like an extra so sad.

I'm still looking forward to watching this, maybe tomorrow since I'm not so sick anymore. I didn't want to watch it while sick because I already read full spoilers so I know there's a lot of things that are going to annoy me, and I want to at least be objective. If I'm sick then it's all gonna bother me way more than it otherwise might.

I was originally hoping to watch the original, and then "Annihilation" (gross), and then the new one, just to get a better sense of context in how far we've come (or not). But my wife's pretty impatient to watch the new one already so we'll probably just do that instead.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I quite enjoyed it overall for what it is. I would have prefered the main character to be an actual MK character. Why not just have the main character be Liu Kang, Jax or Johnny Cage etc.
    The fight scenes were very good though like a MK movie should be.
    I would have liked to have seen more MK characters in the movie...but hopefully in a sequel.
    Now I want to watch the older movies.
    The first MK movie will be on HBO Max in May.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    The first MK movie will be on HBO Max in May.
    Cool. I don't have HBO but I downloaded it.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I enjoyed it. Wasn't a great movie, but you don't expect that from MK and ultimately it delivered what I hoped for.

Finally saw the movie today. Pretty good! I assume everyone has seen it by now so I'm not gonna bother Spoiler tagging anything.

- Yeah, Cole sucks. Just, everything. I laughed so hard when Raiden kicked him out. I'm like "DAMN, son, look who got sent home early from Mortal Kombat school... for SUCKING!"

He also has the exact same super-powers as Guy Gardner when he was "Warrior" in the 90s. Terrible!

Seriously, swap Cole out for Cage and it's the EXACT Same Movie. Except that the ONE annoying part is no longer there to annoy anyone, and now your movie has one less degree of separation from the source material. You could even make Cage half-Asian, that wouldn't have been a problem. As it is, too much of the movie focuses on him considering he's a Made-Up Rando. Even during the Sub-Zero/Scorpion fight, they keep interrupting THAT - the thing we've waited to see for the whole movie and actually care about - to show Cole instead, and it's like I... Don't... CARE!

- Needed more Goro. Especially since he only got one scene and got killed by stupid COLE. Before the Tournament even happens. The Tournament Champion gets killed by Some Rando before the Tournament even happens. That bothered me more than anything in the movie (and frankly very few things did bother me, but that was the biggest thing by a mile). As is, Goro looked great, came off bad-ass, but in the end the most memorable thing he got to do was pop his arm back in, and then die. For such an integral character there should have been a lot more. A LOT more. I'm sure Shang Tsung will resurrect him for the sequel, but this could've been handled better.

- Could've used more Scorpion, too, even allowing for the storyline reasons why he was sidelined until the end. It made sense, it just feels a bit "off" to see so little of him considering he's pretty much the series mascot. He was really well-done, except for the fact that he would've probably gotten re-killed by Sub-Zero if it wasn't for - you guessed it - Cole. Otherwise, what we did get to see was very good.

- Movie needed about 15-20 more minutes so that more characters - especially the villains - had more room to breathe. Most of the villains really only showed up, scowled a lot, and then got killed. Kabal got to run his mouth a lot, at least, but even he got very little to do otherwise. I mean, I get it, ensemble casts are always tough, but the bad guys felt like fodder, especially with how easily they were dispatched overall. No wonder Shang Tsung tried to sabotage the Tournament!

- On the heroes side, would've liked to see more Liu Kang and Kung Lao. What we did get was good, but again, could've used more of Them and less... well, You Know.

- Kano was a riot. Pretty much stole the movie. Or at least he had the most personality out of everyone, and didn't play the part as if he were doing community theater like a few of the other actors did.

- Liked Sonya. Pretty hot, pretty bad-ass. No complaints here.

- Liu Kang can... only speak in... bursts... of dialog... that are three... or so... syllables. With a lot... of dramatic... pauses.

- Lots of good Fatalities. The general violence level was on-point.

- The "Arcana" thing was kind of "eh", but not really altogether bad as a way to explain why the "regular" people would end up getting super-powers. Just kind of silly how it was executed, it more or less came off like "I get really angry and now I get super-powers". Especially since Sonya just automatically gets hers as soon as she gets the mark, and everyone else had to struggle and "unlock" theirs. But again, as a general way to give an explanation to something like that, like "How can these normal people throw fireballs and junk", it was fine.

- Lots of great Sub-Zero action. That's my guy so I was very pleased to see how much attention he got, especially compared to everyone else considering most everyone else was just a sketch. He definitely should have checked to make sure Jax was dead, though. I'm like "C'mon, Bi-Han... don't be such a Noob!" HAH! "Noob!" Don't be such a... ha ha haaaaa... that's good stuff.

- The overall tone, feel, and execution was good. Definitely "felt" like MK, while still being a bit more "grounded" than the games. I honestly feel like you go any more "real" than this, though, and you've tilted it too far the other way. But this was good.

- As far as being a prequel instead of focusing on the Tournament as is proper, this was a good way to do it. Hopefully the second movie will actually get more into the meat.

- Hopefully Cage will be involved early on in the sequel, and they won't spend 40 minutes of the plot on the others trying to find and recruit him. That would be terrible. Bring him in during the first five minutes, say all the "recruitment" happened offscreen between movies, and spend the bulk of MK2 on the actual MK Tournament. We got the prequel stuff out of the way, and it was done well, but let's not drag out the tease any more than is necessary.

- Shang Tsung 100% needed a Sinister Asian Goatee. Seeing him all clean-shaven was weird.

Overall, I liked it more than I thought I might even though the things I knew would annoy me, did. But the things that were good were better than I thought they'd be. Hopefully they'll get to do the second one, and it won't take another 20 years to get to it.

Heroic Warrior
    Last fall was silver anniversary first movie

Im in no rush to see this or Coming 2 America (and MotU will prolly end up the same way , just average movie at best i predict)
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

This one might surprise you. I didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised.

There's definitely worse ways to spend an hour and 45, or whatever the movie is.

I think the best cinematic take on the Mortal Kombat story is MK Legends: Scorpion's Revenge.

I feel that if you watch this, you'll be good.

If you watch this and then watch the new MK movie, you'll be disappointed... in the new movie.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Bang Your Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    If you watch this and then watch the new MK movie, you'll be disappointed... in the new movie.
    That flick was surprisingly good. The intro alone with Daffy Duck is worth the purchase...

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Overall, my wife and I enjoyed the movie, but I had some issues.

Liu Kang in this was terrible, they did for better with him in the 1995 movie.

Raiden was disappointing. That was not the intimidating seven foot tall God of Thunder that we should have been given.

Like Rikki mentioned, Cole was awful and I personally kept thinking of Shujinko from the games just prior to the rebooted MK timeline that started in 2011.

Ah well
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I enjoyed it. Wasn't a great movie, but you don't expect that from MK and ultimately it delivered what I hoped for.
    100% agreed
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Overall, my wife and I enjoyed the movie, but I had some issues.

Liu Kang in this was terrible, they did for better with him in the 1995 movie.

Raiden was disappointing. That was not the intimidating seven foot tall God of Thunder that we should have been given.

Like Rikki mentioned, Cole was awful and I personally kept thinking of Shujinko from the games just prior to the rebooted MK timeline that started in 2011.

Ah well
    Liu Kang looks like Michael Jackson. Raiden should have just been dubbed, especially since most of his lines are delivered off-screen. Cole should have been Takeda. If it was not for the effects, this would be on par with Annihilation.

Heroic Warrior
    Saw it today. 3 pm showing. Got a 30%(so they say). Always liked the early showing. I wanted to see it last Friday but you know how plans go.

I liked it out of pure ignorance and childhood nostalgia. Oh yah. The pure unapologetic violence and gore (which I am not or will complain about) which ties into my childhood nostalgia. A.K.A rose colored glasses.

I thought it was better than Godzilla vs. Kong