Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Revelation Prequel Comic Revealed by Dark Horse

Masters of the Universe: Revelation Prequel Comic Revealed by Dark Horse

Coming on July 7, 2021

"The four-issue limited series is written by executive producers Kevin Smith and Rob David and show writer Tim Sheridan, with art from Mindy Lee (Crimson Lotus) and covers from Stjepan Šejić, Mike Mignola, Bill Sienkiewicz, and Walt Simonson and Laura Martin, with other covers artists to be revealed."

"Dark Horse's Masters of the Universe: Revelation will debut on July 7, 2021, with new issues shipping monthly through October."

IGN Exclusive (More at the link!)

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters...l-comic-he-man

VARIANT COVER by Mike Mignola

Last edited by Tallstar; April 22, 2021 at 12:41pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

To Copy/Paste what I said in the other thread:

I will say, the new chest logo looks a lot less dumb in that picture than it does on the action figure that's coming out. I guess it's all a matter of proportion.

Green Arrow and "Askewniverse" stuff aside, though, Kevin Smith writes bad comics. Like REALLY bad comics. So while the cover art definitely looks good, I still have reservations about everything having to do with "Revelation" so long as his name is attached. And I say that as a fan of the guy, generally-speaking. I like Mallrats more than most people do, but his track record on licensed characters is spotty at best, and that's being super-generous.

I mean, he made Batman pee himself. If I live to be 300 years old I am NEVER gonna forgive him for that.

So yeah, cautiously optimistic, but very strong emphasis on "cautiously".
    ----------

To add to that, that cover in the picture above is really nice-looking, but that alternate cover by Mike Mignola is dreadful, to put it kindly. I'm not a huge fan of Mignola's art in general - I kinda don't like "overly-stylized" art in the first place; it works fine for some things but not so much for others - but while it kinda works fine for stuff like Hellboy, that cover looks like absolute trash, in my humble opinion. I sincerely hope I don't get stuck with that one when this book comes out.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I definitely want this series of books in my MOTU collection, it looks amazing!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    I liked Guardian Devil, but I think Daredevil hit a lot of notes for Smith that made the story work. His work definitely varies.

Hate the overstylized cover but really like the “normal” one.

My only gripe with it is the way He-Man is holding the sword. His wrist is turned in a way that doesn’t look natural. It’s as if the artist isn’t comfortable drawing hands so he turned the wrist. (Either that or it was required for that profile of the sword)

This is the best of the modern era comic book covers thus far!!! I can't wait (but won't click the link for fear of spoilers... I want to be surprised by the plot!).
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Hmmm...while the characters are all immediately recognizable on that cover, I'm not particularly impressed by the small changes to their outfits. Why was that necessary? I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the motivation to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    I liked Guardian Devil, but I think Daredevil hit a lot of notes for Smith that made the story work. His work definitely varies.
    Ah, yeah, I heard good things about his Daredevil run. Never read it, not a Marvel guy at all. I did like some of his Green Arrow stuff, and all of his Askewniverse comics, but the VA stuff is his own characters so that's to be expected. It's his work on Other People's Stuff that he tends to screw up. And Green Arrow hadn't been relevant in like a hundred years by the time he got put on that book, so not only did he have a super-long "leash" but pretty much anything he did would have to be a step up from where the book was at the time.

Plus, there's just very strong evidence that the guy completely lost his mind some time shortly after he made Clerks 2. And I happen to like that movie more than most people, too; but that seems to be the breaking point between "Pre-Crisis" Kevin Smith and "Post Crisis" Kevin Smith. Pretty much everything he's touched after that movie has been wretched.

Thankfully for this specific comic, though, it appears that his involvement will be more of a collaborative nature. That's good. At this point, that guy definitely needs people in the room telling him "No". And besides that, if he were the only one writing it, only two issues would ever come out and then he'd just spend the next ten years trying to change the subject whenever anyone asked him about when it was gonna be finished.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Hate the overstylized cover but really like the “normal” one.

My only gripe with it is the way He-Man is holding the sword. His wrist is turned in a way that doesn’t look natural. It’s as if the artist isn’t comfortable drawing hands so he turned the wrist. (Either that or it was required for that profile of the sword)
    Hah, yeah, I caught that too. It is kinda weird.

And the more I look at that Mike Mignola cover... that's like the worst comic book cover I have EVER seen in my life. I thought Jim Lawson and Rob Liefeld were lousy - and they are - but geez. Like I said, Mignola in general isn't much to my taste but surely he could have done something better than THAT. It looks like he just dashed it out in two minutes while he was sitting on the toilet. Just awful.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Ah, yeah, I heard good things about his Daredevil run. Never read it, not a Marvel guy at all. I did like some of his Green Arrow stuff, and all of his Askewniverse comics, but the VA stuff is his own characters so that's to be expected. It's his work on Other People's Stuff that he tends to screw up. And Green Arrow hadn't been relevant in like a hundred years by the time he got put on that book, so not only did he have a super-long "leash" but pretty much anything he did would have to be a step up from where the book was at the time.

Plus, there's just very strong evidence that the guy completely lost his mind some time shortly after he made Clerks 2. And I happen to like that movie more than most people, too; but that seems to be the breaking point between "Pre-Crisis" Kevin Smith and "Post Crisis" Kevin Smith. Pretty much everything he's touched after that movie has been wretched.

Thankfully for this specific comic, though, it appears that his involvement will be more of a collaborative nature. That's good. At this point, that guy definitely needs people in the room telling him "No". And besides that, if he were the only one writing it, only two issues would ever come out and then he'd just spend the next ten years trying to change the subject whenever anyone asked him about when it was gonna be finished.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah, yeah, I caught that too. It is kinda weird.

And the more I look at that Mike Mignola cover... that's like the worst comic book cover I have EVER seen in my life. I thought Jim Lawson and Rob Liefeld were lousy - and they are - but geez. Like I said, Mignola in general isn't much to my taste but surely he could have done something better than THAT. It looks like he just dashed it out in two minutes while he was sitting on the toilet. Just awful.

I agree that Kevin Smith has lost a step...I think his last good film was Red State and he even said that the ending was originally written differently but due to budget it was changed. I liked the film as is but would also like to see what the original ending would’ve been.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Hmmm...while the characters are all immediately recognizable on that cover, I'm not particularly impressed by the small changes to their outfits. Why was that necessary? I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the motivation to do so.
    He-Man's cross-symbol has been in the crosshairs (pardon the pun) for a while now due to its apparently similarity to WWII German symbology.

That first cover looks great, I really dig it. I'm a fan of Mignola and I think that cover is horrendous. His style isn't a good fit for MotU at all.

He-Man's cross-symbol has been in the crosshairs (pardon the pun) for a while now due to its apparently similarity to WWII German symbology.
    I can believe that, given how we're currently living in the "Everything Is Offensive" Era and if even one person complains about something then you have to change it. But I also have to believe it has a lot to do with the other oft-suggested explanation that Mattel just wants He-Man to have a logo they can trademark and own, like Superman's S-shield.

Lest we forget, the whole reason Batman was given a yellow oval behind the bat on his chest was because when the Adam West TV show came out DC expected the marketing of Batman toys and other merchandise to skyrocket, and they found out that they could make a lot more money if the Batman logo on said merchandise was something unique to them specifically.

With He-Man's logo, it's probably a little of both. I definitely prefer the plain old cross, though, and I wish they'd stop tinkering with it. But I know I'm probably outvoted on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    That first cover looks great, I really dig it. I'm a fan of Mignola and I think that cover is horrendous. His style isn't a good fit for MotU at all.
    Yeah, I can see where his style works okay for stuff like Hellboy, but I definitely don't think it works on everything.

I'm kind of a "snob" about art, anyways, in that I much prefer realism, or at least an attempt at realism, over "style". "Style" to me is just shorthand for "I want to 'express myself' but I don't want to bother taking art classes or learning how to draw properly." It's like how nowadays everybody is a "photographer" because they have a camera on their cell phone, nowadays anyone can say they're an "artist" because they can hold a pencil. And even if it looks like garbage "That's just their 'style', maaaaan."

I know that's "mean" but it's just how I feel. I see stuff like that cover and all it tells me is that I took all those Advanced Drawing & Painting classes for nothing.

Heroic Warrior
    If this is a 4 part mini-series, and the last issue comes out in Oct, does that mean we're only gonna get the Netflix series in October or November???

Nah, Mattel confirmed at their last investor meeting that Revelation comes out in the summer. My money is on July and it will run in unison with this comic series.

Good to get a first proper look at the character designs. No complaints from me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    If this is a 4 part mini-series, and the last issue comes out in Oct, does that mean we're only gonna get the Netflix series in October or November???
    Nah, just because it's a prequel doesn't necessarily mean it's leading into the show coming out.

Why is Dark Horse publishing this? I thought MotU was a DC property, when did that change?

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Looks okay, except for the H they are pushing down our throats... Use the cross on the harness. If you insist on the H, put him in the Battle Armor.

Teela looks bland... like she was in the middle of getting for battle and had to run out without all her gear on. Too much white material or something... needs more gold armor pieces.

Evil looks much better here than water bender Evil-lyn...

and Skeletor looks like Skeletor.

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    Why is Dark Horse publishing this? I thought MotU was a DC property, when did that change?
    DC doesn't own MOTU. Never has. It's not their property.

Mattel has licensed MOTU to many places over the decades; DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse.

Dark Horse DID make the first Classics Minicomics. And they are also doing the Books. Out of which, 2 most recent MOTU books are coming Next Month. So makes sense from that perspective.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Widget
    He-man and skeletor are still running around in furry undies but the women had to be "de-sexualized", I'm sure.

Evil-Lyn looks fine but that's probably cause the patterns seem to imitate the original look better.

Heroic Warrior
    Good. There is a thread.

Just now saw this.

Cover b is bleeping horrid. Ought to be ashamed. In my opinion.

Awesome! I cant wait to watch the show and read this as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post

Cover b is bleeping horrid. Ought to be ashamed. In my opinion.
    Right? I can't believe someone got paid to draw it, and worse, someone else is gonna have to pay to own it when their store inevitably sells out of the good one. Brrrrrr.

Sky Sled, Land Shark...and Blaster Hawk?
    Lord Hordak

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Which only shows how uneducated with respect to such matters the people making that ridiculous association are. There are countless heraldic cross shapes with different meanings, each different from the others by often small subtleties, that laymen may mistake but experts in the field can tell apart easily. Thereʼs at least as much difference between He-Manʼs chest cross and an Iron Cross, as between, say, an Iron Cross and a Bolnisi cross (which is a symbol of the country of Georgia in the Caucasus, nothing to do with the Germans nor with the N party). All three are subtypes of the more generic shape known as a cross pattée, and all three have specific differences telling them apart from a plain cross pattée and from each other. Confusing them is like mixing up the flags of the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Hungary, or between those of Poland and Indonesia; a sign of ignorance, inattentiveness, or both.

Teutonic Order cross (a cross pattée in black)

Iron Cross (derived from the Teutonic Order cross)

German Bundeswehr Cross (derived from both the Iron Cross and from another black cross pattée variant used on Luftstreitkräfte aircraft until shortly after WW1)

Bolnisi cross (a different cross patée variant that is not a derivative of the Teutonic Order cross and has nothing to do with anything German-related)

A convex cross pattée variant (similar to the cross shape implied by He-Manʼs shield)

A wide triangular cross pattée variant (similar to those He-Manʼs chest cross variants with wide arms and straight edges)

He-Manʼs chest cross (an even more different cross pattée, that also is not a derivative of the Teutonic/German crosses, and characteristically features color red and a prominent central circle)

The Iron Cross has a very specific shape and color, which are not at all the same as those of He-Manʼs chest cross.The Iron Cross is a black cross pattée with concavely rounded interior edges, straight exterior edges, and a silver border. Thatʼs its heraldic definition, and it must be exactly like that to be an Iron Cross; anything not exactly meeting that heraldic definition is by definition not an Iron Cross but something else. Heraldry is extremely fastidious about such details, which it cares to define with painstaking punctilliousness and myriad technical terms to tell apart each minute significant difference in shape and color. And, by the way, it originated way back in the black cross pattée of the Teutonic Order in the 13th century (which itself is heraldically different from the Iron Cross, because the old Teutonic Order cross didnʼt feature the silver border), and was a condecoration symbol used by Prussia long before the H guy was even born (much like the swastika had a long and venerable origin and meaning—and still has that original meaning among Far Eastern peoples, with nothing whatsoever to do with the twisted meaning the N party gave to it when they misappropriated it several millenia after the swastika shape had first been used).

He-Manʼs chest symbol, by contrast, is always red (or more specifically, maroon red), and unlike other subtypes of cross pattée, it always features a very prominent central circle (even in Filmationʼs simplified version that omits the bas-relief lines on the wider part of each arm), something which is never ever present in an Iron Cross or any other German-related cross. Its only thing in common with the Iron Cross is in being a derivative of the generic shape of a cross pattée (of which there are, I insist, several different variants, each with a different specific meaning, the Iron Cross being just one particular variant among those, with very defined characteristics not matching those of He-Manʼs chest cross).

I'm only aware of one He-Man chest-cross variant pictured as apparently lacking its characteristic central circle: the one featured on the cover of Dark Horse's Art book. But itʼs still quite different from an Iron Cross, both chromatically (He-Manʼs cross is always some shade of red, never black) and in this variant being based on a triangular cross pattée with wide and straight, rather than slim and rounded, inner edges.

Last edited by uaxuctum; April 22, 2021 at 07:53pm. Reason: typo
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Very informative, and accurate. But the Moral Outrage Brigade has no patience for nuance or factual information.

It's all just "I'm vaguely offended, for reasons I don't quite understand but nonetheless feel VERY strongly about!", followed by demands that people bend to their will Or Else. So if any of Those People were ever confronted with those facts, they'd just tell you to take your logic and go to bed.

Bang Your Head
    Green Arrow and "Askewniverse" stuff aside, though, Kevin Smith writes bad comics. Like REALLY bad comics. So while the cover art definitely looks good, I still have reservations about everything having to do with "Revelation" so long as his name is attached. And I say that as a fan of the guy, generally-speaking. I like Mallrats more than most people do, but his track record on licensed characters is spotty at best, and that's being super-generous.

I mean, he made Batman pee himself. If I live to be 300 years old I am NEVER gonna forgive him for that.
    Smith has become a huge shill over the years. He fanboys out more than fanboys usually do, to the point that it's obvious and pathetic. He's one of those people that LOVES everything, and it's slickening. As for his Batman books, it was Cacophony and his use of the Joker in the first issue that made me not want to buy anymore of his comics work. Making the Joker overly flamboyant to the point where he presented himself to the new villain, wanting to be anally raped, came off as a cheap shock or terrible gag, and didn't do anything to benefit the characters, and helped with my distaste of the Joker even more.

I sincerely hope I don't get stuck with that one when this book comes out.
    If you go to a comic store, you can request one cover over the other (unless there is some weird ratio, but I would take a guess and say that this is a order on demand). Just tell you LCS that you want cover a for this.

This was also in a time when people from outside of comics doing comics was new and slowly becoming a thing. Smith was still a young filmmaker and hadn't quite his the bong as a he currently does now. Smith pre-J&SB Strike Back was a creative genius (Chasing Amy is my all time favorite film of his).

I don't see people telling a person in a high (no pun) position "no". People that want recognition, will always kiss the person in powers ass to get noticed and to be where said person is at. If you had to work on a franchise with a known name in the industry, would you tell that person who has crazy ideas that you know are the drizzling ***** "no dude, I don't think that's a good idea"?

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Which only shows how uneducated with respect to such matters the people making that ridiculous association are.
    We live in a time where stupid people get "offended" at other people for making the "OK" hand sign and associate it with something else.
    God I hate activists and stupid people... they are one in the same...
    Last edited by MossMan710179; April 22, 2021 at 08:07pm.