Thread: MOTU Origins discussed in latest Mattel Earnings Conference Call! (Good news!)

MOTU Origins discussed in latest Mattel Earnings Conference Call! (Good news!)

Did my best to transcribe...

Garrick: Richard, retailers seemed very conservative in stocking boys action last year, um, with the general uncertainty around theatrical events. How are they approaching that category this year?

Richard: Thanks Garrick. You know, it's a light entertainment slate obviously in Q1 but we've outpaced the industry. We've been focusing on our key licenses such as Jurassic World, of course, which has had phenomenal success with Universal, WWE has continued to gain strength, Minecraft with Microsoft. You know, our focus is to take both owned and licensed IP from event-driven brands and really make them truly evergreen through product innovation, cultural relevance and, as you know, focused around purposeful play.

We remain really bullish about the action figure category. We've embraced this challenger mentality in the category and we've been looking to gain and have proven to gain share in the category. We're anticipating, as you know, great growth as we look at our new entry with Masters of the Universe. Content coming this Summer on Netflix and our product offerings are winning. Really in the marketplace with consumers. So look, we're very bullish on the action figure category. We're making incredible progress with our brands and we're really excited about the year ahead.

--------------------

Mike: Great, thank you very much for the question. I just wanted to ask about the growth outside of the power brands. I was just wondering if you could elaborate a little more on the action figure strength. You know, up 101 percent year-over-year. Were there any particular licenses or brands that performed well?

Richard: Hey Michael. You know, I'll take the first part of the question. As I mentioned to Garrick, you know, we're incredibly optimistic and bullish on the action figure category. The whole category according to NPD in the US was up 43 percent in the first quarter. Mattel was actually up 56 percent. So, we've outpaced the category resulting in some market share growth which has been fantastic.

WWE, Jurassic...these were the #7 and #8 properties in the category respectively. WWE Elite figures were the #2 item. And we're most excited that Masters of the Universe Origins...you know, this was the the 5th item in the first quarter. So, we're very excited about the progress that we're making both on our evergreen brands and new brands to come.

q12021categoryhighlights.jpg
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Good stuff.

I wish anyone could actually find the dang toys in stores, but if they're happy then I'm happy. If they're making money with it then that means they're more likely to continue investing in the brand long-term.

They absolutely have work to do if they want to KEEP that success going. But as for the immediate future, that's good news.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

As much as I agree with most wishing they could find product, this is very good news. Does not guarantee we’ll get a full vintage line in origins, but looks very promising that we might. (Figure wise)
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Good news, but could be even better if product was readily available. Let's keep this train moving, Mattel!

The key takeaway from that meeting is that they're focused on making brands like MOTU evergreen. It's great that Origins has been doing well - they're releasing new waves at a much quicker pace than in the vintage days.

It shouldn't be discounted that Masters Origins made any sort of blip on a financial statement based on the fact that MOTU has zero media tie in's in order to bring awareness to the brand. Based solely on nostalgia and figure appeal on pegs, they cited it as their #5 seller, which is huge. I know Barbie and Hot Wheels keep the lights on at Mattel and perhaps that will never change, but the fact that Origins is selling well enough to warrant mention during a financials call is great news.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    Good news, but could be even better if product was readily available. Let's keep this train moving, Mattel!
    My thoughts exactly. Just think how well it could do if everyone could get the product easily?
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Origins She-Ra and Zodac can be seen in this CNBC video.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Well, I will have to say it sounds to me that just because many of us cannot find them does not mean they are not selling. Just the opposite. We cannot find them because they ARE selling, and the numbers Mattel are reporting are irrefutable proof of that.

That said, their sales would be even stronger with more inventory to go around. But, everybody is walking on eggshells and nobody wants residual inventory so I get that. Infuriatingly...I get that.

I'd be intrigued to see the demographic breakdown for sales of Origins if there was ever a way to do it. I'm glad it's on the radar for good reasons, but I also hope it's because new generations are seeing it and want to get into it and buy product, as well as the collectors.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Unapologetic TEELA fan.
    Check out some of my resin toys! some cool stuff coming soon! http://lordchaoscreations.bigcartel.com/
    This one goes up to 11... When Cannons Fade

Quote Originally Posted by eightbit View Post
    ...their sales would be even stronger with more inventory to go around. But, everybody is walking on eggshells and nobody wants residual inventory so I get that. Infuriatingly...I get that.
    That seems to be a major issue with this line. YouTubers are doing videos about that very topic.

Is it time for Mattel to offer these Direct to Consumer, or is that a stupid idea? ( Please be kind....I do have feelings )
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    That seems to be a major issue with this line. YouTubers are doing videos about that very topic.

Is it time for Mattel to offer these Direct to Consumer, or is that a stupid idea? ( Please be kind....I do have feelings )

I think the pre-order model (from online dealers like BBTS) can be used by Mattel as a really useful tool to gauge interest and additional sales. They are pretty much doing that right now and it's working out great for folks like yours truly that can typically find nothing at brick and mortar locations. I applaud them for this. But, the store exclusives still pose a problem. They need expiring contracts on those. Have it a "Target/Walmart Exclusive" for 6-12 months...and then move it to BBTS and the rest. Even a packaging variation would be fine for the exclusives vs eventual online sales. As long as the toy itself is the same and I can obtain it in some way I would be A-OK with that.