Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overlords of the Cosmos Novel and Figures

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar

Overlords of the Cosmos Novel and Figures

I posted about this a while back, but didn't have as much in the pipeline at that time than I would have liked. But now this is moving ahead full steam, and you guys are the target demographic on steroids for this;

This is a novel I and a colleague of mine are writing:

Here is a synopsis of the story, a fiction based on aspects of my own childhood:

Eleven-year-old Tommy Grant is trying to deal with some unfavorable circumstances that are intruding in his otherwise tranquil life in rural 1980s Ohio. He retreats into the thing he loves most... Order of Cosmic Champions. The long-running and highly successful animated program and line of toys provides Tommy with a much needed boost of joy, especially when he discovers that the manufacturer that produces OOCC is holding a nationwide "Create-A-Character" contest. The winning design will be made into an action figure that will be sold the world over, and its creator will become "President For A Day" at the headquarters of the company.

But when Tommy's character design loses out, his world begins to crumble, and he can only think of one way to fix it... find the kid that submitted the winning design, and try to convince him to help make Tommy's dream come true.

As he runs away from home to travel hundreds of miles into the frightening unknowns of the world, he begins to have visions of the winning character design. Soon the lines between fantasy and reality are blurred for Tommy, and his quest becomes much more than he anticipated.

To help the reader feel more connected to the world represented in the novel, I am having action figures produced. Initially, there will be 1,000 of each of the two main "Order of Cosmic Champions" represented in the novel, Fierce Phantos and Mechani-Ghoul.

I would love for more of the characters to become immortalized in plastic, but that will depend on the level of interest when the book is finally available. As of now, I have received the factory samples from China and both figures are in the mold stage.

NOTE: The final F.P. will have a clear acrylic helmet, and not be 3D printed or hand painted like the sample.

NOTE: The final M.G. will have detailed and discernable teeth, and not be 3D printed or hand painted like the sample.

Package backing:

Other ways to help the reader plunge into this world that I have started work on include having a 2.5 minute animated promo/intro created for Order of Cosmic Champions.

The intro version will feature a brand new tune from Stan Bush (The Touch, Transformers: The Movie) titled "Stand or Fall". He is almost done completing this song, and I can't wait to hear it.

Finally, there will be a mini-comic and some more music from synthwave musician 'PYLOT' (AKA Tim Butler).

I've gone all in on this project, Some of my fonder memories have connections to toys like MOTU, and I wanted to share a story that might bring joy to people my age and their kids. Once it's completed, I hope some of you will read it and experience that joy too.

There is much more info at www.orderofcosmicchampions.com if you desire to know more.
    Last edited by Ghost of Vapor; May 3, 2021 at 02:45pm.
    Get Over HERE!: Visit www.retro-daze.org

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

Chris here...

Wow! Wow. Just...wow!

I love what you're doing here. I am totally hoping that you've taken legal advice to make sure that your MOTU "tribute brand" is sufficiently different to MOTU itself that you aren't going to get any lawsuits flying your way, because you don't deserve that. This is so obviously a project of love it just oozes off the webpage.

I'll be signing up to all your social media (already "liked" your FB page) and will await details of when I'm able to preorder any of the figures or the book. Will you be shipping internationally? (I'm in the UK.)

Good luck with this, I really hope this is a big success for you!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Wow! Wow. Just...wow!

I love what you're doing here. I am totally hoping that you've taken legal advice to make sure that your MOTU "tribute brand" is sufficiently different to MOTU itself that you aren't going to get any lawsuits flying your way, because you don't deserve that. This is so obviously a project of love it just oozes off the webpage.

I'll be signing up to all your social media (already "liked" your FB page) and will await details of when I'm able to preorder any of the figures or the book. Will you be shipping internationally? (I'm in the UK.)

Take care...

Thank you very much for the kind words Chris.

While there would certainly be no mistaking the figures for MOTU (smaller scale, different proportions, etc.), that wouldn’t necessarily prevent the attempt to file a lawsuit.
    I choose not to see Mattel as a bully looking to squash any and all inspired endeavors. But, I may be naÔve in regards to that. Who knows.

Again, thank you for the encouraging sentiments. I greatly appreciate it. Very much looking forward to the day this all comes to fruition.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Forgot to answer your shipping question... yes. There will be international availability.
    Last edited by Ghost of Vapor; May 3, 2021 at 02:47pm.

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Vapor View Post
    Thank you very much for the kind words Chris.

While there would certainly be no mistaking the figures for MOTU (smaller scale, different proportions, etc.), that wouldnít necessarily prevent the attempt to file a lawsuit. However this has already been litigated before, and Mattel lost. So there is precedent.

I choose not to see Mattel as a bully looking to squash any and all inspired endeavors. But, I may be naive with regard to that. Who knows.

Again, thank you for the encouraging sentiments. I greatly appreciate it. Very much looking forward to the day this all comes to fruition.
    I am speechless. To reiterate what was said above...Wow! Youíve built a convincing world and I am blown away at the level of detail and forethought put into your project. I will definitely pick up a copy and you better get those figures made! my preorder finger is itchy!

Really, really impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Wow! Wow. Just...wow!

Take care...
    I absolutely have to agree with my good buddy Chris! These are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    I am speechless. To reiterate what was said above...Wow! You’ve built a convincing world and I am blown away at the level of detail and forethought put into your project. I will definitely pick up a copy and you better get those figures made! my preorder finger is itchy!

Really, really impressed!
    Oh man. Thank you so very much for that Glasstor. It means a great deal to me.

I did spend a great deal of time on building out this fictional IP. It felt necessary to me to create the OOCC in as much detail as possible so that the motivations of Tommy in the story are clearly understood. Not something that we fans of childhood toys like MOTU have to devote any effort to, but for the rest of the people who might find this interesting it could be a very helpful tool.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I hope the project doesn’t disappoint!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I absolutely have to agree with my good buddy Chris! These are awesome.
    Thank you so very much Mikey! I’m very glad you like everything so far!
    Last edited by Ghost of Vapor; May 3, 2021 at 02:46pm.

My feedback thread.

Very cool project. I really like some of the character designs.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    It's all very cool. Personally to mix things up a little more I would have made Vile-Ette the main Evil leader.
    That makes perfect sense to me. Changing up the dynamic a bit. Thank you for the kind words!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Very cool project. I really like some of the character designs.
    Iím glad you like some of the designs Mark! Thank you for checking them out.

My feedback thread.

HOLY-WOWZERS!
    This is insane! And amazing!
    I love all of the thought and passion youíve poured into all of the lore, character designs, rollout elements! I have never wanted a fan/independent endeavor to succeed more! (I also truly hope Mattel gives you no grief.)
    And, bless you for the ďEnorem Cluster.Ē ☺️
    Iíve signed up for notifications through your site... I intend to be ALL IN for everything! So excited for the book, and the figs, and the toon intro and music (crazy!), and mini comic and ALL!
    I hope thereís a whole line of figures to come, and many comics, and several books!
    You absolutely deserve to have this project hoist you up onto the mountain! ( I wanna come along!). 😁
    (Hope I donít miss any of it.)
    Congrats on this taking shape! Great job! And thank you!
    -Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    HOLY-WOWZERS!
    This is insane! And amazing!
    I love all of the thought and passion you¬’ve poured into all of the lore, character designs, rollout elements! I have never wanted a fan/independent endeavor to succeed more! (I also truly hope Mattel gives you no grief.)
    And, bless you for the ¬“Enorem Cluster.¬” ‚˜ļÔłŹ
    I¬’ve signed up for notifications through your site... I intend to be ALL IN for everything! So excited for the book, and the figs, and the toon intro and music (crazy!), and mini comic and ALL!
    I hope there¬’s a whole line of figures to come, and many comics, and several books!
    You absolutely deserve to have this project hoist you up onto the mountain! ( I wanna come along!). ūŸ˜Ā
    (Hope I don¬’t miss any of it.)
    Congrats on this taking shape! Great job! And thank you!
    -Kevin
    Thank you very, very much for your kind words, Kevin. I am very happy you find this to be interesting and perhaps worth your attention. Nice to have a fellow Ohioan on board with this!

As for the "Enorem Cluster", you are most welcome. There are actually A LOT of references to familiar things of the MOTU history hidden in the names of things in OOCC lore. How many can you figure out?

I too hope that it's a fun ride and that anyone coming along enjoys it just as much as I. I could benefit greatly from the input and encouragement of this community, no doubt.
    Last edited by Ghost of Vapor; May 3, 2021 at 02:49pm. Reason: Additional Info

My feedback thread.

While there would certainly be no mistaking the figures for MOTU (smaller scale, different proportions, etc.), that wouldn’t necessarily prevent the attempt to file a lawsuit. However this has already been litigated before, and Mattel lost. So there is precedent.
    I’m really impressed by your entire project. The book, the toys, everything.

I’m by no means giving you legal advice but it may be worthwhile to talk to an intellectual property lawyer in your area and get an expert opinion. You’ve done such an amazing job with the creative aspect, I’d really like to see you succeed and wouldn’t want you to run into legal issues down the road.

Also, just out curiosity, the card backs indicate that you’ve trademarked your character names but I ran a trademark search on a couple and nothing came up. Are they pending? (Although I did find a dead trademark for a diet pill named Phantos from the 1950’s.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    I’m really impressed by your entire project. The book, the toys, everything.

I’m by no means giving you legal advice but it may be worthwhile to talk to an intellectual property lawyer in your area and get an expert opinion. You’ve done such an amazing job with the creative aspect, I’d really like to see you succeed and wouldn’t want you to run into legal issues down the road.

Also, just out curiosity, the card backs indicate that you’ve trademarked your character names but I ran a trademark search on a couple and nothing came up. Are they pending? (Although I did find a dead trademark for a diet pill named Phantos from the 1950’s.)
    Hi Stinkor! Thank you for the kind words and advice. I do appreciate it.

I agree that legal consultation may be a good idea here. I will look into it. As for the trademarking, you are correct. They are all in various stages of the process, which can take almost a year to complete in some cases. It's taken even longer because of tiny little errors in the application process. The USPTO is VERY picky. But I suppose they have to be.
    Last edited by Ghost of Vapor; May 3, 2021 at 02:49pm.

My feedback thread.

Nice to have a fellow Ohioan on board with this!
    Yes! Totally cool you're from Ohio as well, and that Tommy will be in the book... looking forward to reading about him, transporting me back to my own youth in Ohio!

As for the "Enorem Cluster", you are most welcome. There are actually A LOT of references to familiar things of the MOTU brand hidden in the names of things in OOTC lore. How many can you figure out?
    Ok, I'll play... here's what I was able to find:
    Teltam = Mattel
    Mafiltion = Filmation
    Skyagrull = Grayskull
    Myragran = Granamyr
    Stanbemian = Beast Man
    TiDillions = DiTillio
    Smireech = Scheimer
    Husik Vyle = Shuki Levy
    Grore-Twees = Roger Sweet
    Alv Plesast = Val Staples

How'd I do? (FYI, if "Pentagasts" is a reference to anything, I haven't deciphered it!)

Wow Kevin! You nailed them. And no, Pentagasts wasnít one of them. I think the only two you missed were Hipporeemen (Oppenheimer) and Lord Dorran (Randor). Nicely done!

My feedback thread.

This is impressive! I'd love to read the novel.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    This is impressive! I'd love to read the novel.
    Thank you for that, Uki! I hope that once you have read it, you will have enjoyed it.

My feedback thread.

Years ago, I started a fantasy novel of my own called Chords In The Storm which was about a female musician (based on the best aspects of the members of my two favourite bands - The Go-Go's and The Bangles and amalgamated into a fierce yet compassionate superhero). She would help save the world from all manner of toxic hate stemmed from racism, misogyny and homophobia. Unfortunately, illness and depression kicked in and I never completed the project. Hopefully one day I will feel sufficiently inspired to revisit it and complete it.

Years ago, I started a fantasy novel of my own called Chords In The Storm which was about a female musician (based on the best aspects of the members of my two favourite bands - The Go-Go's and The Bangles and amalgamated into a fierce yet compassionate superhero). She would help save the world from all manner of toxic hate stemmed from racism, misogyny and homophobia. Unfortunately, illness and depression kicked in and I never completed the project. Hopefully one day I will feel sufficiently inspired to revisit it and complete it.
    I was in sort of the same boat. I had two stories that were stuck in my head for years. One I actually started to write myself, but because I was dissatisfied with my prose, I decided to write it as though it were "found literature" or "found documents". It would consist of some newspaper clippings, pictures, email exchanges, and for the bulk of it... transcriptions of sessions with a psychiatrist. But it just didn't seem to work. So I gave up at about 40 pages.

This other story, the one in this current novel, was far less fleshed out in my head. So I handed the basics over to somebody with actual talent (Anthony J. Rapino), and he took it and ran with it in glorious fashion. I chipped in some ideas and gave some direction on the characters and their motivations and such, but he has taken this seed and turned it into a tree. Sometimes you just need somebody to help... not try to do it all yourself. Hard for me to do, since I'm such a control freak.

My feedback thread.

I don't want to be the fly in the ointment here because it's clear you're passionate about this project but the lack of legal consideration here has me very concerned. Changing the name of your project isn't going to save you from legal action by Mattel. You have too many derivative elements going on to avoid comparison with MOTU. You are going to be sued. There's a time to be creative and a time to put on your business and legal hat, and frankly you need to lawyer up yesterday.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

I was in sort of the same boat. I had two stories that were stuck in my head for years. One I actually started to write myself, but because I was dissatisfied with my prose, I decided to write it as though it were "found literature" or "found documents". It would consist of some newspaper clippings, pictures, email exchanges, and for the bulk of it... transcriptions of sessions with a psychiatrist. But it just didn't seem to work. So I gave up at about 40 pages.

This other story, the one in this current novel, was far less fleshed out in my head. So I handed the basics over to somebody with actual talent (Anthony J. Rapino), and he took it and ran with it in glorious fashion. I chipped in some ideas and gave some direction on the characters and their motivations and such, but he has taken this seed and turned it into a tree. Sometimes you just need somebody to help... not try to do it all yourself. Hard for me to do, since I'm such a control freak.
    A couple of my favourite musicians like Vicki Peterson, Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti expressed interest and gave me encouragement regarding my story and I hated to disappoint them, but my problems were overwhelming at the time. I hope one day to complete my work and share with those who believed in me when I couldn't believe in myself.

A couple of my favourite musicians like Vicki Peterson, Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti expressed interest and gave me encouragement regarding my story and I hated to disappoint them, but my problems were overwhelming at the time. I hope one day to complete my work and share with those who believed in me when I couldn't believe in myself.
    I hope youíre able to complete that project someday.

- - - Updated - - -

I received the samples for Mechani-Ghoul today, and for being 3D printed prototypes, they look pretty great!

My feedback thread.

Loving your updates and I get more excited every 3D proto that you show. Creecharr Looks great! Man, Iím excited to dive into this world and read the book!

Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    Loving your updates and I get more excited every 3D proto that you show. Creecharr Looks great! Man, Iím excited to dive into this world and read the book!
    Thank you very much for that, Glasstor. I am very glad you are interested in this idea. Creecharr's 3D sculpt turned out pretty great. I really hope he can eventually become a real figure like Mechani-Ghoul and Fierce Phantos.

In other news, I took the advice of Laura Gill and "lawyered up". So I now have a firm representing my interests regarding this project.

My feedback thread.

It's a relief to know you followed my advice and didn't blow it off. I was worried you would do that.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.