Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Filmation He-Man: Do i have to watch all episodes? Which are essential episodes?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    173

    Filmation He-Man: Do i have to watch all episodes? Which are essential episodes?

    For now Im watching one of the bonus features behind the scenes stuff and before I start watching the Masters of the Universe cartoon, do i have to watch all 120ish episodes or half?

    Eventually Id get bored of the same crud that goes on over and over such as Skeletor's cronies being morons and Prince Adam transforming etc

  2. #2
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,407
    Personally I would watch all the episodes, but that's because I love it all so much. It's like songs on a CD by my favourite musicians, I never skip a track and find something to love in every song, although there are times when I get hooked on a particular song and feel compelled to listen to it several times before checking out the rest of the album, same with most of my favourite shows. There are only a handful of DVD seasons of shows where I skip certain episodes though, but MOTU isn't one of them.

  3. #3
    Court Magician medium_pyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    47
    Honestly, there's NO reason to watch all 130 episodes. Most of the episodes are fine if not standard affairs, some are outright garbage, while some are legitimately amazing. I'd recommend the following episodes (in no particular order; except the Teela episodes. Teela's Quest would be watched first, then Teela's Triumph.):

    1) Evilseed
    2) Teela's Quest
    3) The Problem With Power
    4) Teela's Triumph
    5) Battlecat
    6) Origin of the Sorceress
    7) Prince Adam No More
    8) Hunt for He-Man
    9) To Save Skeletor
    10) Into the Abyss
    Last edited by medium_pyro; April 28, 2021 at 03:24am.

  4. #4
    Evil Warrior suckator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    654
    yes you must!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    428
    All of them except The Starchild.....
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    518
    That's an odd question . Why are you watching any of it ?

    I think season 1 is more than enough to understand this franchise .

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    88
    Only about a quarter of the episodes are actually worth watching.
    A general rule of thumb is that if the main villain is a Filmation OC and Skeletor is NOT involved, then the episode is not worth watching. The only real exception to that rule that springs to mind is "House of Shokoti Part II" (episodes with OC villains that DO involve Skeletor are fine)
    Let's see a Deluxe Dylamug in MOTU Origins!

  8. #8
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    42
    A majority of the episodes are standalone stories and there is no grand overarching story, so its easier to pick and choose which ones you watch.

    You don't need to watch them all to understand the show, but my recommendations:

    1) Any episode written by Paul Dini (Teela's Quest, Evil Lyn's Plot, Quest for He-Man, Prince Adam No More, The Witch and The Warrior, Pawns of the Game Master, & To Save Skeletor) is typically worth it. He went on to do great work on Batman The Animated Series, and glimpses of that greatness are in the He-Man Filmation show, even with the heavy restrictions of the time period. He maximized the potential of the premise of the show, especially when you look at episodes like Prince Adam No More.

    2) Any episode written by Larry Ditillio (The Time Corridor, The Dragon's Gift, House of Shokoti Parts 1 & 2, The Return of Granamyr, The Cat and the Spider, Disappearing Dragons, & Happy Birthday Roboto) are typically worth it. Larry specialized in stepping outside the box and experimenting with ideas that stepped outside the usual format and providing great guest characters. The Dragon's Gift gave us Granamyr, my personal favorite guest character, and House of Shokoti is He-Man best "Halloween" special, if you want to look at it like that.

    3) Any episode that gave Skeletor the spotlight (Evilseed, The Dragon Invasion, To Save Skeletor, Evil Lyn's Plot, The Search, The Arena, Hunt for He-Man, Double Trouble, Castle of Heroes) are generally worth it simply because Skeletor is a joy to watch. Even something completely nutty like "Here, There, Skeletors Everywhere" is worth a look for the insane goofiness of it.

    4) We don't get many origin stories in this show, but the ones we do get are worth checking out (The Mystery of Man-E-Faces, Battlecat, & Origin of the Sorceress)

    5) Some of the early episodes where they were still experimenting and finding their footing were good for delivering fun action adventure stories with large groups of good guys and bad guys (The Dragon Invasion, The Shaping Staff, The Curse of the Spellstone, The Time Corridor)

    6) Strong character driven episodes that focus on the members of the royal family and main good guys are worth it (Teela's Quest, Prince Adam No More, The Problem with Power, The Rainbow Warrior, The Witch and the Warrior, Teela's Triumph, Dawn of Dragoon, Pawns of the Game Master, Not So Blind, and Into the Abyss).

    7) Some of the Orko centric episodes can be annoying, especially if you don't like him. My favorite Orko centric episode is "Dawn of Dragoon". The rest of them (Orko's Favorite Uncle, The Return of Orko's Uncle, Dree-Elle's Return, Return of Evil, The Rarest Gift of All, Orko's Missing Magic, Just a Little Lie, The Secret of Grayskull, The Bitter Rose, Orko's New Friend, Orko's Return) may not be worth your time if you don't like him or the other Trollans.

    8) If you're interested in toy based characters like Man-E-Faces, Modulok, and the like, here are some recommendations:
    • Stratos is usually relegated to sidekick, but gets a couple of big roles. The biggest of which is "Betrayal of Stratos"
    • Ram Man got the most good treatment out of the "non Royal Family" good guys. His best episodes are "Not So Blind" and "House of Shokoti Parts 1 & 2"
    • Beast Man's a fairly regular presence throughout the show as Skeletor's lackey. His best episode is "Prince Adam No More"
    • Evil Lyn usually leaves a big impact when she's focused on. Her best episodes are "The Witch and the Warrior" and "Evil Lyn's Plot"
    • Tri Klops' best episode showcasing his powers is "The Time Corridor"
    • Trap Jaw's best episode is "Double Edged Sword" which shows off his different gadgets and he gets to have a toe to toe fight with He-Man at the end
    • Mer Man's best episode is "Teela's Quest" but got a few solo spot lights like "Search for the VHO"
    • Man-E-Faces' intro is "The Mystery of Man-E-Faces"
    • Fisto's intro is "Fisto's Forest"
    • Modulok's intro is "Mistaken Identity" and he later appears in "Happy Birthday Roboto"
    • Roboto's only episode is "Happy Birthday Roboto", as well as the only time we see Modulok's 2nd head
    • Mekanek's best episode is "Search for a Son"
    • Jitsu's only episode is "The Dragon Invasion"...he is referred to as Chopper in the script, never named in the actual episode
    • Faker's only episode is "The Shaping Staff"
    • Two Bad's best episode is "Capture The Comet Keeper"
    • Webstor's best episode is "The Cat and The Spider"
    • Whiplash's best episode is "Trouble in Trolla"
    • Clawful's best episode is "Dree Elle's Return"
    • Kobra Khan most significant role was in the show's final episode "The Cold Zone", though he was seen partnering with Webstor on occasion in episodes like "Disappearing Dragons" and "Journey to the Stone City"
    • Spikor's biggest spotlight is "The Games"
    • Zodac rarely appears in the show. His appearances are "Quest for He-Man" "The Search" & "Golden Discs of Knowledge"
    • Buzz Off, Moss Man, and Sy Klone didn't get big spotlight episodes, but appeared as part of the gang helping He-Man a couple of times. "Here, There, Skeletor's Everywhere" "The Ancient Mirror of Avathar" "Island of Fear"


    9) Some episodes that have non-toy based guest villains and characters are memorable and provide a nice change of pace from the usual Skeletor centric stories
    • Like I said, Granamyr is my favorite guest character: He appeared in "The Dragon's Gift", "The Return of Granamyr", "Disappearing Dragons", and "Battle of the Dragons"
    • Lord Masque and Shokoti are in "House of Shokoti Parts 1 and 2" with Masque being the key villain of part 1, and Shokoti of part 2
    • Count Marzo has gone on to become an important figure in MOTU lore, and he was a creation of Filmation. He appeared in "The Once and Future Duke" "The Eternia Flower" and "Search for a Son". In all three episodes, he has a hench-monster named Chimera
    • Lizard Man, Strong Arm, & Fang Man feel like characters there were intended to be toys, but never got made at least not as they are in the show. Lizard Man ultimately inspired Whiplash, and if I had to guess, Strong Arm probably helped inspire Fisto, and Fang Man may have inspired Kobra Khan and the Snake Men. Lizard Man appears in "She Demon of Phantos" and "Song of Celice", Strong Arm in "She Demon of Phantos" and Fang Man in "The Time Corridor"
    • Kittrina is a fun guest character that gets flirty with Battlecat. She appears in "The Cat and the Spider"
    • Aside from Count Marzo, Negator is the most recurring non-toy villain in the series. He appears in "Game Plan" and "Trouble's Middle Name"
    • Dree Elle is Orko's girlfriend who most memorably appeared in "Dawn of Dragoon". That's the episode with her most worth watching TBH.
    • Orko's Uncle Montork memorably appears in "Orko's Favorite Uncle" and "The Return of Orko's Uncle"
    • Monteeg is a memorable guest villain and friend of Skeletor's. He appears in "Castle of Heroes"
    • Darkdream is a memorable guest villain in an episode that was near impossible to watch until HD came around. He appears in "Eternal Darkness"
    • Plundor is a pink rabbit with a full on Masters style physique...don't believe me? Watch "Quest for He-Man".
    • "Tale of Two Cities" is a great episode for a complete change of setting with a whole new cast of characters and makes for a fun story.


    10) There are a couple of episodes that feature giant monsters! I am a lifelong Godzilla/Kaiju fan, so I always marked out for giant monsters in He-Man as well. Some examples include:
    • Bakull from "Teela's Quest"
    • Yog from "Song of Celice"
    • Colossor from "Colossor Awakens"
    • The Sand Digger and Sleeping Beast from "House of Shokoti" Parts 1 and 2
    • And my personal favorite, Molcrom from "Reign of the Monster"


    I might be leaving some stuff out, but off of the top of my head, those are my best recommendations.
    Last edited by SkullShadow; June 7, 2021 at 01:21am.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullShadow View Post
    A majority of the episodes are standalone stories and there is no grand overarching story, so its easier to pick and choose which ones you watch.

    You don't need to watch them all to understand the show, but my recommendations:

    1) Any episode written by Paul Dini (Teela's Quest, Evil Lyn's Plot, Quest for He-Man, Prince Adam No More, The Witch and The Warrior, Pawns of the Game Master, & To Save Skeletor) is typically worth it. He went on to do great work on Batman The Animated Series, and glimpses of that greatness are in the He-Man Filmation show, even with the heavy restrictions of the time period. He maximized the potential of the premise of the show, especially when you look at episodes like Prince Adam No More.

    2) Any episode written by Larry Ditillio (The Time Corridor, The Dragon's Gift, House of Shokoti Parts 1 & 2, The Return of Granamyr, The Cat and the Spider, Disappearing Dragons, & Happy Birthday Roboto) are typically worth it. Larry specialized in stepping outside the box and experimenting with ideas that stepped outside the usual format and providing great guest characters. The Dragon's Gift gave us Granamyr, my personal favorite guest character, and House of Shokoti is He-Man best "Halloween" special, if you want to look at it like that.

    3) Any episode that gave Skeletor the spotlight (Evilseed, The Dragon Invasion, To Save Skeletor, Evil Lyn's Plot, The Search, The Arena, Hunt for He-Man, Double Trouble, Castle of Heroes) are generally worth it simply because Skeletor is a joy to watch. Even something completely nutty like "Here, There, Skeletors Everywhere" is worth a look for the insane goofiness of it.

    4) We don't get many origin stories in this show, but the ones we do get are worth checking out (The Mystery of Man-E-Faces, Battlecat, & Origin of the Sorceress)

    5) Some of the early episodes where they were still experimenting and finding their footing were good for delivering fun action adventure stories with large groups of good guys and bad guys (The Dragon Invasion, The Shaping Staff, The Curse of the Spellstone, The Time Corridor)

    6) Strong character driven episodes that focus on the members of the royal family and main good guys are worth it (Teela's Quest, Prince Adam No More, The Problem with Power, The Rainbow Warrior, The Witch and the Warrior, Teela's Triumph, Dawn of Dragoon, Pawns of the Game Master, Not So Blind, and Into the Abyss).

    7) Some of the Orko centric episodes can be annoying, especially if you don't like him. My favorite Orko centric episode is "Dawn of Dragoon". The rest of them (Orko's Favorite Uncle, The Return of Orko's Uncle, Dree-Elle's Return, Return of Evil, The Rarest Gift of All, Orko's Missing Magic, Just a Little Lie, The Secret of Grayskull, The Bitter Rose, Orko's New Friend, Orko's Return) may not be worth your time if you don't like him or the other Trollans.

    8) If you're interested in toy based characters like Man-E-Faces, Modulok, and the like, here are some recommendations:
    • Stratos is usually relegated to sidekick, but gets a couple of big roles. The biggest of which is "Betrayal of Stratos"
    • Ram Man got the most good treatment out of the "non Royal Family" good guys. His best episodes are "Not So Blind" and "House of Shokoti Parts 1 & 2"
    • Beast Man's a fairly regular presence throughout the show as Skeletor's lackey. His best episode is "Prince Adam No More"
    • Evil Lyn usually leaves a big impact when she's focused on. Her best episodes are "The Witch and the Warrior" and "Evil Lyn's Plot"
    • Tri Klops' best episode showcasing his powers is "The Time Corridor"
    • Trap Jaw's best episode is "Double Edged Sword" which shows off his different gadgets and he gets to have a toe to toe fight with He-Man at the end
    • Mer Man's best episode is "Teela's Quest" but got a few solo spot lights like "Search for the VHO"
    • Man-E-Faces' intro is "The Mystery of Man-E-Faces"
    • Fisto's intro is "Fisto's Forest"
    • Modulok's intro is "Mistaken Identity" and he later appears in "Happy Birthday Roboto"
    • Roboto's only episode is "Happy Birthday Roboto", as well as the only time we see Modulok's 2nd head
    • Mekanek's best episode is "Search for a Son"
    • Jitsu's only episode is "The Dragon Invasion"...he is referred to as Chopper in the script, never named in the actual episode
    • Faker's only episode is "The Shaping Staff"
    • Two Bad's best episode is "Capture The Comet Keeper"
    • Webstor's best episode is "The Cat and The Spider"
    • Whiplash's best episode is "Trouble in Trolla"
    • Clawful's best episode is "Dree Elle's Return"
    • Kobra Khan most significant role was in the show's final episode "The Cold Zone", though he was seen partnering with Webstor on occasion in episodes like "Disappearing Dragons" and "Journey to the Stone City"
    • Spikor's biggest spotlight is "The Games"
    • Zodac rarely appears in the show. His appearances are "Quest for He-Man" "The Search" & "Golden Discs of Knowledge"
    • Buzz Off, Moss Man, and Sy Klone didn't get big spotlight episodes, but appeared as part of the gang helping He-Man a couple of times. "Here, There, Skeletor's Everywhere" "The Ancient Mirror of Avathar" "Island of Fear"


    9) Some episodes that have non-toy based guest villains and characters are memorable and provide a nice change of pace from the usual Skeletor centric stories
    • Like I said, Granamyr is my favorite guest character: He appeared in "The Dragon's Gift", "The Return of Granamyr", "Disappearing Dragons", and "Battle of the Dragons"
    • Lord Masque and Shokoti are in "House of Shokoti Parts 1 and 2" with Masque being the key villain of part 1, and Shokoti of part 2
    • Count Marzo has gone on to become an important figure in MOTU lore, and he was a creation of Filmation. He appeared in "The Once and Future Duke" "The Eternia Flower" and "Search for a Son". In all three episodes, he has a hench-monster named Chimera
    • Lizard Man, Strong Arm, & Fang Man feel like characters there were intended to be toys, but never got made at least not as they are in the show. Lizard Man ultimately inspired Whiplash, and if I had to guess, Strong Arm probably helped inspire Fisto, and Fang Man may have inspired Kobra Khan and the Snake Men. Lizard Man appears in "She Demon of Phantos" and "Song of Celice", Strong Arm in "She Demon of Phantos" and Fang Man in "The Time Corridor"
    • Kittrina is a fun guest character that gets flirty with Battlecat. She appears in "The Cat and the Spider"
    • Aside from Count Marzo, Negator is the most recurring non-toy villain in the series. He appears in "Game Plan" and "Trouble's Middle Name"
    • Dree Elle is Orko's girlfriend who most memorably appeared in "Dawn of Dragoon". That's the episode with her most worth watching TBH.
    • Orko's Uncle Montork memorably appears in "Orko's Favorite Uncle" and "The Return of Orko's Uncle"
    • Monteeg is a memorable guest villain and friend of Skeletor's. He appears in "Castle of Heroes"
    • Darkdream is a memorable guest villain in an episode that was near impossible to watch until HD came around. He appears in "Eternal Darkness"
    • Plundor is a pink rabbit with a full on Masters style physique...don't believe me? Watch "Quest for He-Man".
    • "Tale of Two Cities" is a great episode for a complete change of setting with a whole new cast of characters and makes for a fun story.


    10) There are a couple of episodes that feature giant monsters! I am a lifelong Godzilla/Kaiju fan, so I always marked out for giant monsters in He-Man as well. Some examples include:
    • Bakull from "Teela's Quest"
    • Yog from "Song of Celice"
    • Colossor from "Colossor Awakens"
    • The Sand Digger and Sleeping Beast from "House of Shokoti" Parts 1 and 2
    • And my personal favorite, Molcrom from "Reign of the Monster"


    I might be leaving some stuff out, but off of the top of my head, those are my best recommendations.
    It truly is a lot of fun to watch the show.
    And you empahsized a lot of good points there sir.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior AlexApprobation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    84
    I have a similar perspective, so I went through the "He-Man and She-Ra: A Complete Guide to the Classic Animated Adventures" book and made notes of the well rated episodes and the ones with stories that sounded interesting to me. So I will start with those and see if I want/need to see more after all of those.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lasher, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,385
    Even "lesser" shows like Monster on Mountain i find entertaining
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

    Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

  12. #12
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,407
    Personally I LOVE ALL the MOTU (and POP) episodes, especially the ones that focus on Evil-Lyn!

  13. #13
    Bang Your Head
    MossMan710179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I think season 1 is more than enough to understand this franchise .
    Franchise, no. Animated series, yes. The Filmation series is not a reflection of MOTU in other avenues such as the comics and story books.
    The series is very rinse, wash, repeat with every episode, and it can be argued that the series has not aged well. The show was meant for kids and has been stated numerous times that it was essentially a 20 minute commercial to sell toys. The constant reuse of animation and models, and themes from episode to episode gets played out really quick and you can burn yourself out after maybe a few hours.

    The only episodes worth watching would be The Problem with Power, and my favorite, Pawns of the Game Master...

  14. #14
    Widget Tortoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6

    "essential" He-Man episodes

    With the impending release of Masters of the Universe: Revelation, I'm wanting to do a rewatch in the run-up to its release. But when I last did a rewatch a couple of years ago, it was quite a slog as a lot of the episodes were samey and kind of blended in together. And I'm pretty confident my wife, who did not grow up with MOTU/She-Ra and can't be considered a fan, would give up out of boredom halfway through the first season.

    That being said, what would you consider essential episodes of MOTU? I know there's very little continuity running through the show as a whole, so I'm more just looking for 10-15 standout episodes that are either top quality (eg Problem With Power), or foundational to the world and mythos (eg Diamond Ray of Disappearance). Which would you pick?

    (note that I'm going to be skipping NA, 200X, and She-Ra entirely - this is purely considering the original 83-84 Filmation run)

  15. #15
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,407
    I'm actually planning a complete marathon of all of Classic and MYP MOTU, the 1987 live-action movie, Classic and Netflix POP, and New Adventures Of He-Man this Winter so I can celebrate the coming of Revelation and hopefully the CGI series.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Dina M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    176
    Let's see... I haven't seen ALL the eps, but of the ones i have seen, the essential ones, for the lore and things, I'd say were...

    Diamond Ray of Disappearance because it's a decent intro to all the main characters on both the good and the evil side.
    Prince Adam No More for a look at the secret identity thing and how Adam doesn't always like it when "He-Man" gets all the praise.
    Teela's Quest for the story of Teela's past, how Man-At-Arms adopted her, and of course the Sorceress being her mother.
    Creatures from the Tar Swamp for the story of how Orko ended up on Eternia.
    Battlecat for Cringer/Battlecat's origin.
    Origin of the Sorceress for... well, yeah.
    Dawn of Dragoon for an introduction to Trolla.
    The Search for some information on Eternia as a planet.
    Search for the Past for more on the history of the Royal Family and Randor's father, King Miro.
    Visitors From Earth for a bit on Marlena's backstory.
    Teela's Triumph for more on the Teela/Sorceress relationship, plus we get to see the Spirit of Grayskull, as well as Teela as the temporary guardian of Grayskull and Cringer ASKING to become Battlecat.
    The Region of Ice because there should be at least one episode that's just silly and fun, and this has always been the funniest ep to me.
    The Problem With Power ...but I don't need to explain this one, do I?

    I also think you should watch The Secret of the Sword, because while it's TECHNICALLY the beginning of the She-Ra series it's extremely important to the lore of He-Man.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Drakken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coral Gables, Florida
    Posts
    851
    That list from Dina M definitely includes a must-see set of episodes. Some of those will tug at your heart's strings also.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

  18. #18
    In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13,497
    Dina M's list is great... and certainly MUCH more helpful in response to Tortoise's question about wanting to watch only certain stand out episodes than stating one's intention to rewatch the entirety of not just Filmation MOTU, but of every MOTU series and spin off that has ever existed.


    I would also recommend watching most of the episodes that were included on the original "Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" DVD set (which was the very first official DVD release for Filmation MOTU), which has 10 episodes selected and voted on by fans.

    Some of them are already on Dina's list, but there are some others also worth checking out. "Origin of the Sorceress" in particular is a good one given what we pretty much know is probably going to happen with the Sorceress and Teela in the new series.

    "Into the Abyss" is a good one that involves the connection between Teela and The Sorceress.

    Arguably you could probably skip the "Evilseed" episode if you want to. Not that it is a bad episode (it is a fan favorite after all) and I'm not suggesting that you should actively avoid it. But I don't think it is necessary on a list of selected episodes meant to prep/refresh someone for the new series. Nothing wrong with including it for the heck of it though.

    For the most part viewing order doesn't matter, but as Dina stated, I would recommend starting with "Diamond Ray of Disappearance."

    And even though it wasn't actually the final episode of the show, a lot of fans also consider "The Problem with Power" to make a great final episode of the series and recommend watching it after all others.

    I think between Dina's list and the other episodes that were included in this DVD set, you'll be in pretty good shape for the new show.

    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; June 20, 2021 at 12:34pm.
    ____________________________________________

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    428
    More support here for Dina's list, though I'd also chuck in The Dragon's Gift from Season 1 and The Rainbow Warrior from Season 2 as absolute standouts. The Dragon's Gift is great character work for He-Man and Teela, as well as featuring the introduction of Granamyr, and The Rainbow Warrior is good for the relationship between Adam and Marlena (as well as being hilarious)...
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  20. #20
    He-Man historian
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Hämeenlinna, Finland
    Posts
    14,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    "Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" DVD set (which was the very first official DVD release for Filmation MOTU), which has 10 episodes selected and voted on by fans.
    Only in America as "first".

    The UK had already made atleast 4 DVD Volumes of Filmation MOTU since 2003.

    The lists everyone mention here are pretty great. And I agree that roughly 10-15 episodes is a good sampling to watch of the old show to get biggest plot points.


    • Diamond Ray of Disappearance
    • Prince Adam No More
    • Teela's Quest
    • Dawn of Dragoon
    • The Search
    • Creatures from the Tar Swamp
    • Battlecat
    • Search for the Past
    • Visitors From Earth
    • To Save Skeletor
    • Teela's Triumph
    • The Region of Ice
    • Evilseed
    • Origin of the Sorceress
    • Rainbow Warrior
    • Into the Abyss - a must to see about Prince Adam, the power of Grayskull...
    • The Problem With Power
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

    · ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Dina M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    176
    I hadn't seen Rainbow Warrior when I wrote that list, but I took twenty minutes to check it out, and... yeah, it's definitely a better showing for Marlena than Visitors From Earth.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    More support here for Dina's list, though I'd also chuck in The Dragon's Gift from Season 1 and The Rainbow Warrior from Season 2 as absolute standouts. The Dragon's Gift is great character work for He-Man and Teela, as well as featuring the introduction of Granamyr, and The Rainbow Warrior is good for the relationship between Adam and Marlena (as well as being hilarious)...
    Seconded.
    It's so weird that Ileena from "A Friend in Need" (Teela has an addict friend whose dealer looks like Keldor would in 2002) is confirmed for a comeback but no word of Filmation originals who were in five or so episodes, like Granamyr.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    I hadn't seen Rainbow Warrior when I wrote that list, but I took twenty minutes to check it out, and... yeah, it's definitely a better showing for Marlena than Visitors From Earth.
    It is, but I do have a soft spot for Visitors From Earth - I had it on video when I was little, so I watched it over and over. (The tape was missing the end though - I never knew whether He-Man caught the missile or not...)
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  24. #24
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    42
    These episodes are not listed in any particular episode.

    From He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (80s)

    Essential Character Driven Episodes:
    • Teela's Quest (Best episode for Teela and Mer-Man)
    • Prince Adam No More (One of the best episodes that tackled Adam's issues with balancing two identities and how it impacts his relationship with Randor, also Beast Man's best episode)
    • Dawn of Dragoon (Best episode for Orko)
    • Into the Abyss (Great episode to explore the relationships of the main characters)
    • The Rainbow Warrior (Best episode for Queen Marlena)
    • Origin of the Sorceress (Title is self explanatory)
    • Battlecat (Cringer / Battlecat's origin)
    • The Witch and the Warrior (Teela and Evil Lyn get the spotlight)
    • Pawns of the Game Master (Great showcase for Adam and Teela's relationship)
    • Teela's Triumph (Teela gets a preview for her destiny and she sits in for The Sorceress)


    The Best Moral / Lesson Driven Episodes
    • Double Edged Sword (Arguably the show's most daring lesson at it deals with the consequences of fighting. Also Trap Jaw's best episode)
    • The Dragon's Gift (My personal favorite episode with one of He-Man greatest tests of moral character. Also Granamyr is the show's best guest character, IMO)
    • The Wizard of Stone Mountain (When romantic attraction goes too far, He-Man has to basically fight Satan)
    • Not So Blind (He-Man and Ram Man are left temporarily blind as a young blind child helps guide them back home)
    • The Problem with Power (Considered by many fans to be the best episode, and with good reason. Its a good look at He-Man's responsibility, sense of honor, and high standard placed on him)
    • The Remedy (Not the greatest episode, but the moment where He-Man humbles himself to save a friend always stuck with me)


    The Best Action Driven / Fun Episodes
    • House of Shokoti (Parts 1 & 2) (The show's only two parter and great to watch at Halloween time)
    • Evilseed (He-Man and Skeletor Team Up! Also Evilseed's only episode in the classic series)
    • To Save Skeletor (He-Man and Skeletor Team Up Part Deux!)
    • The Taking of Grayskull (A weird and wacky episode that features one of He-Man's awesomely ludicrous feats of strength)
    • The Dragon Invasion (An early gem that maximizes the potential of the typical MOTU episode formula)
    • The Shaping Staff (Another early one that proves to be a fun watch. Also Faker's only true episode in the series)
    • Song of Celice (A wild one with a fun giant monster)
    • The Curse of the Spellstone (Its a race against time as He-Man has to save the day before the royal family is brutally smothered to death by the Creeping Horak!)
    • Reign of the Monster (speaking of giant monsters, Molcrum is the show's very best design)
    • Valley of Power (A fun and action packed episode that takes a break from Skeletor)
    • Three on a Dare (A wild and comedic affair with Skeletor's crew stealing the show)
    • Evil Lyn's Plot (Evil Lyn at her best and Skeletor has one of his best showdowns with He-Man)
    • The Mystery of Man-E-Faces (Man-E-Faces introduction and one of only two episodes)
    • The Arena (Its basically the plot of the old Star Trek episode of the same name, but instead of Kirk and the Gorn, its He-Man and Skeletor)
    • Quest for He-Man (Skeletor defeats He-Man, takes away his memory, and banishes him to a planet ruled by an Evil Rabbit!)
    • Search for the VHO (The best of the water based He-Man adventures from the classic series)
    • The Search (Pretty standard episode but with a great twist at the end that makes it memorable)
    • Eternal Darkness (Fun gimmick episode with a cool one off villain in Darkdream)
    • Castle of Heroes (Skeletor finds a reason to root for He-Man. Also features a hilarious version of Blackbeard the Pirate)
    • Golden Disks of Knowlege (One of the few episodes that sheds some light onto Skeletor's past)
    • The Cat and the Spider (Webstor's memorable introduction, as well as Kitrina's only episode, and she proved to be a memorable guest star)
    • Journey to Stone City (A fun showcase for Evil Lyn with one of the all time funniest Skeletor moments as he punishes her at the end)
    • Hunt for He-Man (My favorite Cringer episode, also a great showcase for Skeletor)
    • Mistaken Identity (The origin of Modulok, and a fun tale that plays with the idea of He-Man having a secret identity)
    • Visitors from Earth (He-Man gets to save some Earthlings this time around in a fun and unique episode)
    • Orko's Missing Magic (This episode is almost pure goofy nonsense, and good for a laugh)
    • The Tale of Two Cities (A break from the norm as He-Man finds himself stuck in a battle between two warring cities)
    • The Time Corridor (a time travel story that features one of Skeletor's most unique plans. Also the only appearance of Fang Man and Tri Klop's best outing)
    • Disappearing Act (an early episode that plays with Adam's secret identity)
    • Orko's Favorite Uncle / The Return of Orko's Uncle (The two essential Uncle Montork episodes, if you're interested in the character)
    • The Once and Future Duke / The Eternia Flower / Search for a Son (The Count Marzo trilogy. He is the most recurring villain not based on a toy or from Skeletor's ranks, & would be reused in the 2002 series and has become kind of a fan favorite, so if you want to know where he came from, here you go).


    From She-Ra: Princess of Power (80s)

    Essential Story / Character Driven Episodes
    • Into Etheria (Part 1 of 5 part miniseries. Introduced to The Horde, The Great Rebellion, and Adora
    • Beast Island (Part 2, He-Man and Adora start to forge a bond)
    • She-Ra Unchained (Part 3, Adora becomes She-Ra for the first time!)
    • Reunions (Part 4, Queen Angella is freed, and Skeletor & Hordak reunite)
    • Battle for Brightmoon (Part 5, She-Ra Vs. Skeletor + Castle Bright Moon is freed)
    • The Sea Hawk (Introduction of Sea Hawk, the show's best guest character)
    • The Crystal Castle (Introduction of the Crystal Castle and its guardian, Light Hope)
    • The Stone in the Sword (Adora quests to fix her broken sword, one of the show's best episodes)
    • Micah of Brightmoon (Glimmer's father is freed and returns to his family)
    • The Price of Power (Shadow Weaver's best episode as we find out a bit more about her backstory and motivations)
    • Play it Again Bow (Madame Razz gets a romance story)
    • Swifty's Baby (The final episode produced also gives Swiftwind his best outing as he protects his new family)


    Essential Moral / Lesson Driven Episodes
    • Book Burning (a story about the importance of freedom of speech & thought and the dangers of propaganda)
    • The Reluctant Wizard (a wizard learns the importance of friendship as The Rebellion helps him)
    • Enemy with my Face (a creature absorbs She-Ra's powers, but also her heart)
    • Into the Dark Dimension (She-Ra shows compassion for Hordak at a pivotal moment)
    • My Friend, My Enemy (She-Ra shows compassion for Hordak once again, this time with Skeletor involved!)


    Essential Action Driven / Fun Episodes
    • Huntara (She-Ra does battle with her physical match in Huntara)
    • The Rock People (Stonedar and Rokkon from MOTU make their animated debut here)
    • The Perils of Peekablue (Peekablue's Powers of used against the Great Rebellion by Hordak)
    • Flowers for Hordak (pure comedy as Hordak gets more than he bargained for when he captures Perfuma)


    The Best He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Crossovers
    • The Price of Freedom (The show's best episode. It captures the show's premise at its best, and tugs at the heartstrings a little bit as He-Man gets pushed to the brink)
    • Of Shadows and Skulls (Skeletor's greatest episode ever. He rules in this! This episode is every Skeletor fan's dream come true)
    • Horde Prime Takes a Holiday (The four great super powers He-Man, She-Ra, Skeletor, and Hordak are all given the spotlight in this epic action packed story)
    • Sweet Bee's Home (A pure comedy episode as a love triangle between an oblivious Sweet Bee, an overzealous Frosta, and a very expressive He-Man develops)
    • He Ain't Heavy (Prince Adam is captured by Hordak, and She-Ra has to come save her brother)
    • King Miro's Journey (King Miro visits Etheria to see his granddaughter for the first time)
    • Assault on the Hive (The final episode from Filmation to feature the Masters of the Universe characters. We get one last He-Man / Skeletor encounter)
    • A Talent for Trouble (Orko and She-Ra meet. He-Man and She-Ra have to save both Orko and Madame Razz from The Horde)
    • The Greatest Magic (She-Ra gets to have her own adventure in Trolla as she helps Orko, Dree Elle, & Uncle Montork deal with the evil Dr. Zoog)
    • Darksmoke and Fire (She-Ra goes to Eternia's ancient past where she meets Granamyr)
    • Loo-Kee Lends a Hand (Loo-Kee participates in the story for once as he has to get He-Man to Etheria to save She-Ra and the Rebels. A welcomed Skeletor cameo is included)
    • The Eldritch Mist (She-Ra, He-Man, & Castaspella team up to stop Shadow Weaver...also Adam proves to be a hit with Castaspella)


    The New Adventures of He-Man (91)

    Here, I'll just do a top ten
    1. A New Beginning / Quest for the Crystals / The Heat / Attack on Ornor / The Ultimate Challenge (the five part miniseries to serve as an intro to the series)
    2. The Gift / Skeletor's Victory / He-Man in Exile / The Seeds of Resistance / The Battle for Levitan (the five part story arc that shows the Mutants taking over Primus and He-Man's team in the role of rebellion)
    3. He-Man Mutant (an experiment turns He-Man into an evil mutant in the service of Flogg and Skeletor)
    4. Once Upon a Time (Teela makes an appearance! This makes this probably the most memorable episode of the series)
    5. The Nemesis Within (Skeletor creates a clone of He-Man he calls He-Slave, essentially this show's version of Faker)
    6. Four Ways To Sundown (a fun story of differing POVs as the different characters remember the events of a recent battle differently)
    7. The Bride of Slushhead (Old Slushhead gets a happy moment and shows he's not all bad afterall)
    8. Dreadator (He-Man does battle with a Predator like alien hired to take him out)
    9. Mutiny on the Mothership (The other Mutants rebel against Flogg)
    10. The Call to the Games / The Blacksmith of Crelus / A Time to Leave / The Games / Flogg's Revenge / The Final Invasion (A six part story arc detaling The Games, pitting He-Man and Skeletor's teams against each other, and also the final battle to determine the fate of Primus)


    He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002)

    No qualifiers here, just the essentials:
    • The Beginning Parts 1, 2, and 3 (All the introductions for the core heroes and villains are made. Skeletor returns and Adam becomes He-Man)
    • The Courage of Adam (Essentially a Filmation style story but beefed up with modern story and animation techniques)
    • Sky War (Buzz Off's introduction)
    • Lessons (Shades of Evil Lyn's past are revealed, Orko gets a spotlight, and Skeletor gets inside Castle Grayskull on his first try)
    • The Ties that Bind (Essentially this show's version of Teela's Quest)
    • Turnabout (Skeletor gets the spotlight as he is forced to try and act nice)
    • Mekaneck's Lament (Count Marzo's introduction, Mekaneck's best episode)
    • Underworld (He-Man and King Randor team up to battle Skeletor Phantom Menace style)
    • The Mystery of Anwat Gar (Sy Klone's introduction)
    • The Monster Within (Two Badd's introduction, Man-E-Face's best episode)
    • Roboto's Gambit (Roboto's introduction, Tri Klops' best episode)
    • Orko's Garden (This show's introduction of Moss Man and Evilseed)
    • Snake Pit (Introduction of Zodak, Kobra Khan, Rattlor, (kinda) Webstor, and the whole concept of The Snake Men)
    • The Sweet Smell of Victory (Stinkor's introduction)
    • Separation (Introduces Hordak via flashback, Two Badd's best episode)
    • The Council of Evil Parts 1 & 2 (Skeletor reunites all the Season 1 baddies to take down The Masters. Also officially introduces Webstor)
    • The Last Stand (Basically the entire episode is one long action sequence showcasing all the characters shown up to this point)
    • Out of the Past (Delves a little bit into The Sorceress' past)
    • Rise of the Snake Men Parts 1 & 2 (King Hiss and the remaining Snake Men officially introduced)
    • The Price of Deceit (Skeletor and Evil Lyn's backstories are fleshed out, as well Skeletor's ties to Hordak)
    • Second Skin (Probably my favorite Snake Men centric episode)
    • The Power of Grayskull (The origins and history of Castle Grayskull's revealed, also Hordak's role in the story. Only appearance of key Horde members Grizzlor, Leech, and Mantenna)
    • Web of Evil (Fisto's introduction, and Webstor's biggest showcase)
    • History (Evil Lyn & Marzo try to free Hordak while He-Man and King Hiss try to stop them)
    • Awaken the Serpent (Final episode. Final battle between The Masters of the Snake Men, as well as Hiss & Zodak)


    I know its weird to say that the show has 29 essential episodes when it only ran for 39, but hey. They did a lot of introduction episodes, lol.

    And I never saw Netflix She-Ra, so I can't really give any recommendations there.

    EDIT: Oh and here a video I posted to Youtube a few years back listing my Top 20 Favorite Episodes from the original series.
    Last edited by SkullShadow; June 21, 2021 at 03:22pm.

  25. #25
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Dina M's list is great... and certainly MUCH more helpful in response to Tortoise's question about wanting to watch only certain stand out episodes than stating one's intention to rewatch the entirety of not just Filmation MOTU, but of every MOTU series and spin off that has ever existed.

    I wasn't trying to be unhelpful, it's just that for me, ALL the episodes are essential viewing, that's just the way I see MOTU, POP and all things related. For me there are good things in every episode so it's not easy to choose the most essential. No need to be snarky.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •