Thread: Justice Society: World War II (2021)

Justice Society: World War II (2021)

I probably shouldn't have created a thread for this, but I just watched this movie earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

DC Animated movies have been hitting all the right notes since their continuity reboot in 2013...

Justice Society: World War II is no exception. It is incredibly fun, partly violent and well-animated.

Definitely recommended!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I probably shouldn't have created a thread for this, but I just watched this movie earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

DC Animated movies have been hitting all the right notes since their continuity reboot in 2013...

Justice Society: World War II is no exception. It is incredibly fun, partly violent and well-animated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4xXbGFhEFg

Definitely recommended!
    I am definitely looking forward to this movie!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I watched this movie last night and it was really good.
    One of the better recent DC animated movies.
    Even though I hate time travel/multiverse stories I still found this one to be a good movie.

I look forward to seeing Hawkman and Aquaman in the movie!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I watched this movie last night and it was really good.
    One of the better recent DC animated movies.
    Even though I hate time travel/multiverse stories I still found this one to be a good movie.

I watched it last night too . I dont think i can recall any DC animated Movie from Warner that i did not enjoy . Marvel might have owned the live action territory but DC rules cartoon land .

I think they were just looking for an excuse to put wonder woman in her original outfit . I was really really hoping Steve and Diana would tie the knot in this reality . That would have been a mind blowing master stroke .
    The Black Canary costume looks way too modern .

I was thinking while watching it . Only one super villain with hypno toad powers fights for Germany ? Thats a bit unfair . It also sort of took away the steam that Aquaman could not possibly be a bad guy without being hypnotized . Why not ? The Flashpoint Paradox was a much better movie example of anything can happen .

Also how does animation get away with images of Nazi symbols and flags but video games are not really allowed to do that .
    Last edited by Lokus; May 2, 2021 at 04:31am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I watched it last night too . I dont think i can recall any DC animated Movie from Warner that i did not enjoy . Marvel might have owned the live action territory but DC rules cartoon land .

I think they were just looking for an excuse to put wonder woman in her original outfit . I was really really hoping Steve and Diana would tie the knot in this reality . That would have been a mind blowing master stroke .
    The Black Canary costume looks way too modern .

I was thinking while watching it . Only one super villain with hypno toad powers fights for Germany ? Thats a bit unfair . It also sort of took away the steam that Aquaman could not possibly be a bad guy without being hypnotized . Why not ? The Flashpoint Paradox was a much better movie example of anything can happen .

Also how does animation get away with images of Nazi symbols and flags but video games are not really allowed to do that .
    I have enjoyed the vast majority of the animated movies. The only ones that really stand out that I wasn't that keen on were Batman: The Killing Joke, Wonder Woman: Bloodlines and both Suicide Squad movies.
    Batman: Sould of the Dragon was okay but it really wasn't much of a Batman movie.
    Aside from those DC's animated shows and movies are great.

I love the DC animated movies, I can't wait to see which characters or stories will be made into movies next year.

I think DC generally does a good job when it comes to their animated stuff. I really enjoyed Batman vs TMNT.

The trailer for this one looks exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    I think DC generally does a good job when it comes to their animated stuff. I really enjoyed Batman vs TMNT.

I love the Batman/TMNT movie too, I would love to see more.

There's a Batman/TMNT Omnibus being released on December 28 2021.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Teenag...9958131&sr=8-2

Also, thanks Sam for helping me with the recent time zone conversion, unfortunately the Suzy Bogguss chat wasn't a success this morning, the website had technical difficulties and nobody could access the chat, but I have the Belinda Carlisle chat tomorrow night and a Gretchen Peters chat in mid-May.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post

Batman vs TMNT was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Batman vs TMNT was awesome.
    Yes, BM vs TMNT is an excellent example of meshing two worlds and keeping it grounded in realism as much as possible.

Plus, the character redesigns all looked fantastic and WB did not hold back with the violence.

Too bad we can't go back in time and see a movie where Michael Keaton's Batman takes on Jim Henson's TMNT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yes, BM vs TMNT is an excellent example of meshing two worlds and keeping it grounded in realism as much as possible.

Plus, the character redesigns all looked fantastic and WB did not hold back with the violence.

Too bad we can't go back in time and see a movie where Michael Keaton's Batman takes on Jim Henson's TMNT!!
    Shredder was great in the movie.

DC Collectibles made some pretty cool figures for the movie, it's just a shame they were not more easily available.

A Keaton Batman and Henson TMNT movie back in the early 90's would have been amazing.

Surprisingly good DC animated movie
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I am annoyed this is not on HBO Max. What is the point of this service if I still have to pay to watch Warner Bros. content other places?

Looking forward to grabbing this when I can. It looks pretty good and I'm always interested in seeing heroes and villains besides the most heavily used ones in action.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Looking forward to grabbing this when I can. It looks pretty good and I'm always interested in seeing heroes and villains besides the most heavily used ones in action.
    I watched it again and enjoyed it even more the second time.

I noticed a lot of things that slipped by on my first viewing...

Highly recommended to any DC / animation fans!

I've had this movie for a few days but haven't had time to watch it yet, but I am looking forward to it. I've always been pleased with DC's universe of stories.

I almost bought this today, but instead I bought Legos. Perhaps if it's still there the next time I go shopping. It does look interesting, even though most of the animated DC movies from the past ten years have been hit-or-miss to say the least. But this one looks promising.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    Hope this gets put on hbo.max. seems like dcu took forever to add content and hbo max put things up I've been waiting for like justice League the movie and aquaman. Dcu dragged.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    I really need to get caught up on the DC animated movies. I know they dropped the continuity angle a while ago (I think after Reign of the Supermen), so it's technically not getting caught up, but y'know what I mean.

Also, how's the digital version? I didn't watch Death in the Family (even though the comic storyline is one of my favorites) because they didn't carry over the choose your own adventure part to the digital release (I can excuse it being like that on like Amazon, Google Play, Apple, etc., but it being like that on HBO Max is low key ********; since it's their own streaming service, they should have a choose your own adventure thing like Netflix does). Is there anything in this movie locked behind the physical version?

Heroic Warrior
    Haven't seen it. want to see.

Not my favorite team but I am a fan of them.

I like it when they go around beating up Nazis, Navis supervillains and Aryan nation supervillains. Cause that's what I think of when I think of the JSA. Please don't why. I don't have an answer.

In a perfect comic book world there's a book when in their prime and one where they are gray.

here's a not so nice review of it:

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    I've now watched this, it didn't quite hit the mark for me, but having read the JSA in the comic books over the years (one of my favorite teams of all time) a lot of it is just more frame of reference of missed opportunities for a better story from my vantage point.

First off, I gotta say I love DC's Golden Age comics, rough as they might be to modern eyes. Roy Thomas felt that way and I think his 80's All-Star Squadron series was one of the best treatments of that group, keeping it WWII based and continuing to incorporate the classic JSA members with the expanded team members that formed the All-Star Squadron.

Some of the more modern stories I've enjoyed with the JSA have been Elseworlds based and I think these would have been better choices for adapting to an animated feature than the "World War II" story they came up with (JSA: The Golden Age, JSA: The Liberty Files and the sequel The Unholy Three).

What I DID like about this movie was a few things. The animation style was really great (and much better than recent DCAU movies to my taste), it nicely fit the type of story and era. I also loved that, while it was sparing in using some classic JSA team members, seeing at least a few come to life (I'm a huge Hourman fan). A glaring omission to me was the Alan Scott Green Lantern, and I'll avoid spoilers but classic Dr. Fate would have been cool. On the flip side, the main villain did not have his normal comic book name, and again I'll avoid a spoiler, but it is in fact based on a very classic JSA villain and I thought was very cool.

It was interesting to me that the lady on the review above was questioning why so many of these characters were used...I don't think she really understands who the JSA are. However, her point on an underwhelming use of them I do agree with. This felt like a Wonder Woman movie with some JSA nods more than a true Justice Society team adventure. The reviewer was also confused on the Barry Allen Flash part, and how the story kind of alternated between him and Wonder Woman and did not seem to really hold together well. While I do appreciate the nod to Barry Allen since in the Silver Age it all started with him making "first contact" with the JSA back when they were in alternate dimensions (JLA on Earth 1, JSA on Earth 2), I do tend to agree I did not feel a lot for him as a character in this particular story.

One thing I have to keep perspective on as well, and again I have to be careful with any spoilers here, it was not designed to be a story based on any classic JSA incarnation. That's actually an element of the story itself (and started to make more sense when I got a little further into it), and I have no issue with them attempting that despite my love for a lot of the classic material. I'm all for a fresh take when it works well, and I think for a number of folks it has, so coming full circle, this is very much a personal taste thing versus hating on other people enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post
    I've now watched this, it didn't quite hit the mark for me, but having read the JSA in the comic books over the years (one of my favorite teams of all time) a lot of it is just more frame of reference of missed opportunities for a better story from my vantage point.

First off, I gotta say I love DC's Golden Age comics, rough as they might be to modern eyes. Roy Thomas felt that way and I think his 80's All-Star Squadron series was one of the best treatments of that group, keeping it WWII based and continuing to incorporate the classic JSA members with the expanded team members that formed the All-Star Squadron.

Some of the more modern stories I've enjoyed with the JSA have been Elseworlds based and I think these would have been better choices for adapting to an animated feature than the "World War II" story they came up with (JSA: The Golden Age, JSA: The Liberty Files and the sequel The Unholy Three).

What I DID like about this movie was a few things. The animation style was really great (and much better than recent DCAU movies to my taste), it nicely fit the type of story and era. I also loved that, while it was sparing in using some classic JSA team members, seeing at least a few come to life (I'm a huge Hourman fan). A glaring omission to me was the Alan Scott Green Lantern, and I'll avoid spoilers but classic Dr. Fate would have been cool. On the flip side, the main villain did not have his normal comic book name, and again I'll avoid a spoiler, but it is in fact based on a very classic JSA villain and I thought was very cool.

It was interesting to me that the lady on the review above was questioning why so many of these characters were used...I don't think she really understands who the JSA are. However, her point on an underwhelming use of them I do agree with. This felt like a Wonder Woman movie with some JSA nods more than a true Justice Society team adventure. The reviewer was also confused on the Barry Allen Flash part, and how the story kind of alternated between him and Wonder Woman and did not seem to really hold together well. While I do appreciate the nod to Barry Allen since in the Silver Age it all started with him making "first contact" with the JSA back when they were in alternate dimensions (JLA on Earth 1, JSA on Earth 2), I do tend to agree I did not feel a lot for him as a character in this particular story.

One thing I have to keep perspective on as well, and again I have to be careful with any spoilers here, it was not designed to be a story based on any classic JSA incarnation. That's actually an element of the story itself (and started to make more sense when I got a little further into it), and I have no issue with them attempting that despite my love for a lot of the classic material. I'm all for a fresh take when it works well, and I think for a number of folks it has, so coming full circle, this is very much a personal taste thing versus hating on other people enjoying it.
    Hmmmm. As I read your post I wondered what my best JSA story that I truly enjoy and instantly it is JLA/ JSA Virtue and Vice.

I haven't watch this film yet but I will do so soon, with my daughter, she loves it when I share my hobbies to her and do stuff like these together.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Liked the Kamandi showcase short.
    I am Imp's number one fan.