Thread: PutYaGunsOn's Origins Toy Photo Minicomics

PutYaGunsOn's Origins Toy Photo Minicomics

A few months ago when there was still snow outside, I made a couple of He-Man mini-comics using photos of my Origins figures, with the pics captioned in Imgur.

I will admit it was sort of thrown together with me coming up with the story on the fly (so...I, a 26-year-old man, was essentially playing with my toys in my backyard and using "it's art!" and "it's fanfic!" as an excuse). But I showed the first one to my friends on some Discord servers and they liked it.

As of making the first couple of comics, I owned an entire set of Wave 1 carded figures (so no Battle Cat, Sky Sled, or Adam). As of April 28th 2021, I no longer own the Evil-Lyn, Beast Man, and Man-At-Arms figures I used, as I sold them to a friend while downsizing my overall toy collection. I may continue Evil-Lyn-based stories if I get my hands on the new 200X-colored version, though. I plan to make more too, since she is a central character in the first two.

Basically, the first ones I made are set in a continuity based on the vintage Wave 1 and 2 minicomics (in which those stories are canon as well). So, He-Man is an axe-and-shield wielding, non-princely, non-transforming jungle barbarian who has harnesses that give him strength and create forcefields. Skeletor is a demon from another realm (probably Infinita), rather than an exiled prince with a chip on his shoulder. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with the Prince Adam stories, especially since I was a 200X kid. I just wanted to mess around with the jungle barbarian version of He-Man after having been in love with the Pre-Filmation era for months now.

Most of these will be based in that continuity, and I will edit this post as well as make a new comment if/when I add more.

And of course, I'd highly recommend listening to this cheesy masterpiece while reading these. It was playing in my head during the entire process of making these.

COMICS
    1. The Treachery of Evil-Lyn (originally created Jan 16 2021)
    2. The Treachery of Evil-Lyn, Part II: The Quest For The Tree Of Mystics (originally created Jan 17 2021)
    3. Blades and Fangs (originally created May 22, 2021)
    4. (BONUS!) Gallery: He-Man vs. Skeletor with the Power Swords (originally created May 30, 2021, will be updated)

EDIT 05/15/2021: Added second minicomic. Notes on this one, that it was pretty much running entirely on the hype I had for creating the first minicomic, so it's even more on-the-fly than the previous one. I'm not so proud of this one compared to the previous one, but I will consider it canon nonetheless. This comic makes heavy use of figures I no longer own, as mentioned above. Will start on making the third one soon, which will be much better-planned story-wise.

EDIT 05/22/2021: Added third minicomic, "Blades and Fangs".

EDIT 06/01/2021: Added a little bonus, a gallery of photos of He-Man and Skeletor fighting in various locations with their respective halves of the Power Sword. These have no story to them, but they take place after Blades and Fangs. This will be sporadically updated.
    Last edited by PutYaGunsOn; June 1, 2021 at 11:24pm. Reason: Added Bonus Photos

It's a fun read, and I imagine you had a blast doing this! You're never too old to play with MOTU action figures!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoMartelle View Post
    It's a fun read, and I imagine you had a blast doing this! You're never too old to play with MOTU action figures!
    Thanks, I appreciate that! And yeah, I absolutely had a blast. I legitimately felt like a kid again.

I actually was in something of an emotional low point towards the end of 2020, and MOTU actually helped a lot, and it brought me hope in a way I hadn't felt in a long time. So doing anything with MOTU toys, even if it's just posing them for photos and messing around with them, is a great time for me.

EDIT 05/15/2021: Added Minicomic #2!
    Last edited by PutYaGunsOn; May 15, 2021 at 01:09am.