Thread: What kind of animal is the Road Ripper based on?

What kind of animal is the Road Ripper based on?

So, I am reading Pixel Dan's amazing book on MotU toys. In the Road Ripper section, Dan says that the design is based on a dragon. This threw me off. As a kid, I always thought the Road Ripper was based on a roadrunner. That actual animal, not the Looney Toons version. I mean, it looks more like a bird than a dragon with the beak and all. Also, the name Road Ripper sounds very similar to Roadrunner. What do you all think?

rruner.jpg

Anyway, I love Dan's book! There are a few minor mistakes and oversights, but over all it is amazing. I find it humorous that is basically the size of a college text book as well. If I taught a course on MotU, this would be my text book!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

It's kind of up for interpretation, but you can see some dragon-like traits in the early concepts for it:

https://battleramblog.com/road-rippe...-carrier-1984/

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    It's kind of up for interpretation, but you can see some dragon-like traits in the early concepts for it:

https://battleramblog.com/road-rippe...-carrier-1984/
    Yes, I read your article before I posted this. (BTW: I know you get this a lot, but your blog is wonderful! I greatly appreciate all the work that you do)

My personal speculation based on the early concepts is that it was originally based off a dragon, but it morphed into a roadrunner head on purpose. Perhaps one of the designers thought it looked bird-like at first anyway, so they went full roadrunner with it.

While I like the green since it is what we are used to seeing, I think a red and blue version would have been better. And it would have been a homage or call-back to the red and blue stripes behind the roadrunner's eyes.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Yes, I read your article before I posted this. (BTW: I know you get this a lot, but your blog is wonderful! I greatly appreciate all the work that you do)

My personal speculation based on the early concepts is that it was originally based off a dragon, but it morphed into a roadrunner head on purpose. Perhaps one of the designers thought it looked bird-like at first anyway, so they went full roadrunner with it.

While I like the green since it is what we are used to seeing, I think a red and blue version would have been better. And it would have been a homage or call-back to the red and blue stripes behind the roadrunner's eyes.
    Thanks, so glad you like the blog!

I can definitely see the roadrunner comparison. I wish we could ask the designer, unfortunately he passed away.

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    I always figured it was dragon or dinosaur like. Birds are ancestors of dinosaurs, so maybe it's a combo of a road runner, dinosaur, and dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Thanks, so glad you like the blog!

I can definitely see the roadrunner comparison. I wish we could ask the designer, unfortunately he passed away.
    Would Roger Sweet know what the designer had in mind?

It reminds me more of dragon totems found on the front of Viking ships .

I can see the dragon influences now that it's mentioned, but I always thought roadrunner, too.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lasher, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

I think more of those tiny lizards that can run fast on its hind legs. One runs fast enough to cross water.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    So, I am reading Pixel Dan's amazing book on MotU toys. In the Road Ripper section, Dan says that the design is based on a dragon. This threw me off. As a kid, I always thought the Road Ripper was based on a roadrunner. That actual animal, not the Looney Toons version. I mean, it looks more like a bird than a dragon with the beak and all. Also, the name Road Ripper sounds very similar to Roadrunner. What do you all think?
    Meep Meep!