Thread: Which side have the best characters? Heroic warriors or Skeletor and his henchmen?

Court Magician

Which side have the best characters? Heroic warriors or Skeletor and his henchmen?

You can use any criteria you like to decide this, be it character design, development, anything, just in general which side do you feel have the best characters and why?

For me I've always preferred Skeletors characters the most, I just feel they look better and have that little bit more to them in regards to their look and creativity. Don't get me wrong I love the heroic warriors too and some of my favourite characters are on that side but on a whole it's the crew at Snake Mountain that I feel are the best.

For example, Trap Jaw has a great look with his mechanical jaw and weapons on his arms, Tri-Klops is great with his vision and design, I really like the look of Mer-Man and characters like Two Bad and Spikor are unique. Even though he's a clone of Mer Man I like the design of Stinkor. Whiplash, Clawful, Beast Man and Webstor are all really well designed and Faker I love too (in the blue more so than how we saw him in the series) and of course Skeletor goes without saying.

I feel like a lot of the characters are creative too, such as Two Bad and Spikor for example, it would be cool to see their backstory and where they originate from; I'd also like to see this with Tri-Klops in regards to how he got his vision as this could potentially be a great story. Plus when you see things such as Mer Man being the Warlord of water, they just seem to have a lot of creativity around them.

Don't get me wrong, the heroic warriors also have a lot of great characters and designs but on a whole I think the characters from Snake Mountain are the best.

So what about you guys, which team do you think has the best set of characters?

Skeletor. Based on how many must have characters I would pre order on Matty Collector

Skeletor and the Evil Warriors. All around cooler visual designs plus deeper character pathos.

I'd also say The Snake Men and Hordak's Evil Horde. Just call me a Devil's Advocate lol.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: Tung Lasher, Rattlor, He-Man, Battle Cat, Panthor, Buzz Off, Webstor, Sorceress, She-Ra, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    Skeletor and the Evil Warriors. All around cooler visual designs plus deeper character pathos.

I'd also say The Snake Men and Hordak's Evil Horde. Just call me a Devil's Advocate lol.
    I feel the same way. The bad guys just looked cooler.

And maybe its just me, but I always preferred non-human characters, and the bad guys were loaded with all kinds of cool monsters, and that excited me more, especially as a kid. To highlight this, my favorite good guy was Battlecat.

Looking back on the original toys, I can think of a few good guys that were kind of duds. Not many, but they were there. Clamp Champ was too basic and normal. Rio Blast managed to somehow look wildly out of place in a line that was all about "anything goes". And Buzz Off is the line's biggest eyesore (well, aside from the Meterorbs).

The bad guys? Skeletor's crew, The Horde, The Snake Men...I honestly can't think of one toy that I disliked out of the bunch. The closest are Faker and Stinkor as they are cheap repaints, but their gimmicks elevate them to legendary status.

The Horde, then Skeletor, then the Heroic Warriors, and finally the Snake Men.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullShadow View Post
    I feel the same way. The bad guys just looked cooler.

And maybe its just me, but I always preferred non-human characters, and the bad guys were loaded with all kinds of cool monsters, and that excited me more, especially as a kid. To highlight this, my favorite good guy was Battlecat.

Looking back on the original toys, I can think of a few good guys that were kind of duds. Not many, but they were there. Clamp Champ was too basic and normal. Rio Blast managed to somehow look wildly out of place in a line that was all about "anything goes". And Buzz Off is the line's biggest eyesore (well, aside from the Meterorbs).

The bad guys? Skeletor's crew, The Horde, The Snake Men...I honestly can't think of one toy that I disliked out of the bunch. The closest are Faker and Stinkor as they are cheap repaints, but their gimmicks elevate them to legendary status.
    Yup, my biggest draw to the line were the cool non-human/creature designs. Battle Cat was my favorite hero, too.

Agreed on Clamp Champ and Rio Blast. Actually looking at Buzz Off's figure, yeah, he was kinda goofy looking. But I remember him from my imagination as a kid and he was awesome.

I know there were some baddies I didn't care for. I didn't like Tri-clops (to dull) or Whiplash (too goofy). I thought Snake-Face was a waste and Sssqueeze was kinda silly.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: Tung Lasher, Rattlor, He-Man, Battle Cat, Panthor, Buzz Off, Webstor, Sorceress, She-Ra, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Court Magician
    So many cool replies already, I thought I was gonna be the only one who preferred these characters but I guess not lol

Yeah, they do look so much cooler, I agree about The Horde and the Snakemen too, I was going to mention these with the post but I decided to keep it with the He-Man and Skeletor thing but yeah, these guys are cool so add these to the discussion too, it's a great discussion

Yeah the bad guys did seem to come from animal counterparts quite often but I like that and it works well, plus it wasn't overly done as so many characters were from different basis also so it's a nice balance. I mean we have Webstor, Beast Man, Clawful, Whiplash, Mer Man all coming from this but then we have characters like Skeletor, Evil Lynn, Tri Klops, Trap Jaw also not so much so it's a nice balance.

What did you guys think to the Evil Lynn character having yellow skin (the original Simpson ha), in the original show she doesn't have this but on the figure she does, I prefer her without really so not sure why the figure did her this way but I was wondering what you guys thought?

In regards to the heroic warriors, I like Buzz Off ha, Sy Klone is very cool, Moss Man, Roboto, Ram Man and Mekanek for example but on a whole they don't stand out character wise, look and also creatively like the bad guys do for me personally.

Great replies so far, I've really enjoyed them so thank you

Heroic Warrior
    Surprised a question like this hasn't been asked before.

This is a question that could and possibly should have a poll. And posted in one of the other forums.

There are many factors one could choose from. And that's not even including one's personality & their likes and dislikes.

Or maybe you pick a side from each iteration. Which is a safe way to do it. And the fairest. In my opinion.

But I read this as pick your forever side. Don't care how you do it, just do it.

But no matter how fair and open minded I am to each factor I find myself always choosing the heroic warriors side.

Sure there is the occasional bad guy I'll like or the occasional good guy I'm not fan of but I still choose the heroic warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    So many cool replies already, I thought I was gonna be the only one who preferred these characters but I guess not lol

Yeah, they do look so much cooler, I agree about The Horde and the Snakemen too, I was going to mention these with the post but I decided to keep it with the He-Man and Skeletor thing but yeah, these guys are cool so add these to the discussion too, it's a great discussion

Yeah the bad guys did seem to come from animal counterparts quite often but I like that and it works well, plus it wasn't overly done as so many characters were from different basis also so it's a nice balance. I mean we have Webstor, Beast Man, Clawful, Whiplash, Mer Man all coming from this but then we have characters like Skeletor, Evil Lynn, Tri Klops, Trap Jaw also not so much so it's a nice balance.

What did you guys think to the Evil Lynn character having yellow skin (the original Simpson ha), in the original show she doesn't have this but on the figure she does, I prefer her without really so not sure why the figure did her this way but I was wondering what you guys thought?

In regards to the heroic warriors, I like Buzz Off ha, Sy Klone is very cool, Moss Man, Roboto, Ram Man and Mekanek for example but on a whole they don't stand out character wise, look and also creatively like the bad guys do for me personally.

Great replies so far, I've really enjoyed them so thank you
    Thanks for posing the question, it's been a fun discussion for sure!

I never cared for Lyn's greenish-yellow skin in the toy. Only recently did I learn that the intention was that to represent her powered up form. I wish this was shown in the lore... the mini comics or even the Filmation cartoon (or if it was shown, I missed it and/or forgot about it). But yeah, I prefer Lyn with more normal looking skin, even if she's on the really pale and nearly undead side of hues.

Skeletor has the most interesting warriors, IMO. I love all the half-man half-beast guys

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Surprised a question like this hasn't been asked before.

This is a question that could and possibly should have a poll. And posted in one of the other forums.

There are many factors one could choose from. And that's not even including one's personality & their likes and dislikes.

Or maybe you pick a side from each iteration. Which is a safe way to do it. And the fairest. In my opinion.

But I read this as pick your forever side. Don't care how you do it, just do it.

But no matter how fair and open minded I am to each factor I find myself always choosing the heroic warriors side.

Sure there is the occasional bad guy I'll like or the occasional good guy I'm not fan of but I still choose the heroic warriors.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you

But yeah, use whatever criteria you feel suits you as that's when people are going to choose the one's they really like if you get what I mean

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    Thanks for posing the question, it's been a fun discussion for sure!

I never cared for Lyn's greenish-yellow skin in the toy. Only recently did I learn that the intention was that to represent her powered up form. I wish this was shown in the lore... the mini comics or even the Filmation cartoon (or if it was shown, I missed it and/or forgot about it). But yeah, I prefer Lyn with more normal looking skin, even if she's on the really pale and nearly undead side of hues.
    Yeah, I agree with you on this. I think the pale skin kind of suits that character, I know she's not Dracula by any means but it's kind of along the lines of that if you get what I mean and it works

Bad guys almost always have cooler designs, I find. MOTU or otherwise.
    I prefer the bad guys of MOTU for the same reason I prefer the Decepticons in TF.
    They just look a quantum leap cooler than neary every good guy. They often have more compelling concepts, as well.

My 2c.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post
    Bad guys almost always have cooler designs, I find. MOTU or otherwise.
    I prefer the bad guys of MOTU for the same reason I prefer the Decepticons in TF.
    They just look a quantum leap cooler than neary every good guy. They often have more compelling concepts, as well.

My 2c.
    Yeah, you're spot on really. I was just thinking of other shows from that era which I've seen and Thundercats has this too.

I prefer Evil Horde
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version