Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU: Revelation TEASER and new images | Official Talkback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    Interesting that you pinpoint the kid as Smith's turning point. I always blamed the weed, since that is when his podcast turned from witty conversations to imbecile giggling nonstop. Probably a combination of both.
    Forgot to reply to this earlier. Sorry!

I never pay attention to his podcast, so I wouldn't know what goes on over there. But as for what may have been the life-changing catalyst in Kevin Smith's situation... I've never met the guy, but I know a ton of pot smokers and lots of people with kids ("shockingly", there is a TON of cross-over between groups because kids drive you nuts). So anecdotally, I can kind of safely say that one thing has a way of changing everything about a person to a much greater degree than the other.

People who increase their weed intake often do change in several ways, such as an increased appreciation for guitar solos, salted snacks, and the works of David Lynch. However, having a kid changes literally EVERYTHING about a person, from perspective to priority to general behavior, often to a very large and noticeable degree. Many of the people I know well became completely different people after they became parents. Things they used to joke about "weren't funny" anymore. Movies and music and things they used to like were now "inappropriate". Sometimes their entire political views will shift from Red to Blue, or vice-versa, depending. It's kinda nuts, but I've seen it happen quite often.

So while both of those things probably played a factor in distinguishing "Pre-Crisis" Kevin Smith from "Post-Crisis" Kevin Smith - and again, I don't think there's any coincidence whatsoever that he started smoking more pot after having a kid; in some states I think it's even mandatory - I think it's safe to say that the kid probably had the greater impact on him as a whole. He already smoked pot, he just started smoking it more; in my experience, that doesn't shift a person much. The kid thing, though... yeah, based on some of the things I've heard him say about various topics, having a kid - specifically, having a daughter - in many ways did turn him into a completely different guy than he was before.

Still just speculation, but pretty sure that's what it comes down to. The pot thing is just an easier thing to scapegoat, I think. Plus it sounds kind of crummy to say to someone, "You had a kid and now your sense of humor sucks", or whatever. Even if it's true people aren't likely to say that kind of thing out loud, they'll look for other things to cite as factors instead.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Great trailer, really enjoyed it. Wasn't keen on the use of the Bonnie Tyler song though.
    Lots of deep cuts, Skelecons!! So glad they used them!

Quote Originally Posted by SkullShadow View Post
    So I've watched the trailer a few times.

So that thing that Clamp Champ held and slammed down...was that one of the old Hover Robots from the Filmation cartoon?!?! I couldn't really tell for sure, but that was my best guess.

Attachment 126097
    Yep the Hover Bots are in the trailer:
    HoverBots.JPG
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post

I'm guessing an extended and proper trailer will come right before the premier?
    Yep, I definitely think we will get a proper trailer. Probably around 3-4 weeks before the premier.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Love the scene where Orko is blocking Skeletor's magic. It'll be interesting to see how they mix this with his comical nature.
    He's fighting Scare Glow in that scene
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    I don't know about the song but the animation is the best thing I have ever seen. this looks so great, its going to be a hard month of waiting. I need to watch this NOW.

1.6M views in 19 hours, Mattel has to be pretty happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    As much as I LOVE Netflix She-Ra, I would be even more eager to see a new POP series in this style, and perhaps a new version of New Adventures as well.
    Yes a She-Ra series in this style I would absolutely love to see. I would be happy to see She-Ra and her friends join He-Man in Revelations.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Court Magician
    1.6M views in 19 hours, Mattel has to be pretty happy about that.
    It's incredible the reactions it's getting, this is one of my favourite things about this right now, specially after that previous video that was on Youtube.

Hopefully this will continue and when the series has finished, it'll be looked back on and remembered fondly like the 2002 series is

If this all goes well we’re definitely getting The Film.

Heroic Warrior
    A most interesting archived Kevin Smith tweet from 2013 (he has deleted it):

kevin smith.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Please don't sideline He-Man in his own show just to make it about Teela. I love how this looks, but I still don't trust Kevin Smith.
    Just kinda thinking about this last night...

If you make He-man really be HE-MAN then it's hard to write a story where the villains have the upper hand isn't it? So I look at it like they've written story that makes He-Man the goal, the Excalibur they need to get things back together.

I'd then assume this series being successful leads to more seasons with He-Man and others being more the focus.

I do fear a "passing of the torch" type plot though
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    A most interesting archived Kevin Smith tweet from 2013 (he has deleted it):

kevin smith.jpeg
    Yeah, he said on Comic Book Men he "never had love for He-Man" and now all of a sudden he was a big fan as a kid and his parents wouldn't buy him the toys. Dude is a liar. I'd respect him more if he just came out and said he was never a fan, but after getting the job he found an appreciation for the franchise.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Just kinda thinking about this last night...

If you make He-man really be HE-MAN then it's hard to write a story where the villains have the upper hand isn't it? So I look at it like they've written story that makes He-Man the goal, the Excalibur they need to get things back together.

I'd then assume this series being successful leads to more seasons with He-Man and others being more the focus.

I do fear a "passing of the torch" type plot though
    It should climax with He-Man getting back his power and being the badass he is.

Heroic Warrior
    Just showed my 12yo the trailer and he was like ‘that looks pretty awesome, I’ll watch that with you’
    He said it reminds him of the 200x series, which was got him into motu as a kid. For him the filmation series was a bit dated and not as action packed.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, he said on Comic Book Men he "never had love for He-Man" and now all of a sudden he was a big fan as a kid and his parents wouldn't buy him the toys. Dude is a liar. I'd respect him more if he just came out and said he was never a fan, but after getting the job he found an appreciation for the franchise.
    In the video that launched the trailer and he was talking about it after the fact, he said he would come home and watch the cartoon every day in 1981 and 1982. The show wasn't even out at that point. I would let that pass as a misspeak, but given that tweet, and the talk on Comic Book Men, it just adds to the notion that he was truly never a fan.

Even if He-Man is not the main character for a few episodes, this looks amazing. The deep cuts prove that someone has some major MotU street cred, probably Ted.

Clamp Champ? Man-at-arms with just the left arm and leg armor? Bashasaurus? Roboto (and his heart!)? Skelecons? Castle Grayskull's ledge? Stridor? Faker? THE MEGALASER????

He-man's new symbol is the Battle Armor H?

I'm done. They got me so hard. I am completely so into this!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

The teaser trailer just started trending at #2 on YouTube! More people will be exposed to this greatness!

youtubetrending.jpg
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I have to say, I really like Orko's creepy eyes.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Love the scene where Orko is blocking Skeletor's magic. It'll be interesting to see how they mix this with his comical nature.
    That's Scare Glow, summoning 11 more skull ghosts to attack the post-Cataclysm band.
    I won't say you're wrong, because Scare Glow may be the Evil Ghost of Skeletor (they don't have to use the Classics bio if they don't want to).

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    In the video that launched the trailer and he was talking about it after the fact, he said he would come home and watch the cartoon every day in 1981 and 1982. The show wasn't even out at that point. I would let that pass as a misspeak, but given that tweet, and the talk on Comic Book Men, it just adds to the notion that he was truly never a fan.
    There was an interview with him several months back where he openly said he wasn't a huge fan of vintage MOTU because when it came out, he was already a bit too old for that kind of thing. Seeing how he was born in 1970, he would have already been a teenager when the Filmation series first aired, so his explanation makes sense. I don't think it's a big deal. He has an appreciation for geek culture, and it seems that when he got this gig that he likely gained a genuine appreciation and affectation for it. The teaser trailer certainly shows that he did his homework at the very least as to what hardcore fans want from this show.

Heroic Warrior
    A lot of that is projecting from Clownfish and whatnot, who have had an axe to grind against Smith and how She-Ra turned out for some time, but it's an entirely subjective matter, I grew up in the 90s when you could easily group a lot of programmes at the time in the same category, but they are remembered quite fondly by those who grew up on them.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; June 11, 2021 at 11:52am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    The teaser trailer certainly shows that he did his homework at the very least as to what hardcore fans want from this show.
    Pretty sure he had a lot of help on it, though, and by the looks of it, people who know the franchise.

everything looks really fantastic ... except this Teela that I don't like at all ... not very feminine, with a hideous costume.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    A lot of that is projecting from Clownfish and whatnot, who have had an axe to grind against Smith and how She-Ra turned out for some time, but it's an entirely subjective matter, I grew up in the 90s when you could easily group a lot of programmes at the time in the same category, but they are remembered quite fondly by those who grew up on them.
    I don't think it's about Kevin Smith. It's more MOTU being another casualty in the Culture War. Clownfish are MOTU fans who supposedly knew someone who read a Revelation script AND they went off the "It's up to Teela" synopsis from Screenrant and Power-Con. Some took that synopsis and ran with it, fearing the worst. Others are cautiously optimistic, preferring to wait until the show is out before condemning it.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I don't think it's about Kevin Smith. It's more MOTU being another casualty in the Culture War. Clownfish are MOTU fans who supposedly knew someone who read a Revelation script AND they went off the "It's up to Teela" synopsis from Screenrant and Power-Con. Some took that synopsis and ran with it, fearing the worst. Others are cautiously optimistic, preferring to wait until the show is out before condemning it.
    See that in lies the problem if something WORKS don't change it...It will get ruined and your SUPPOSED to respect the target audience not the small minority who are complaining because it's NOT what they want......

Why do things have to get changed to suit the SMALL minority of people that didn't like the original...stop already