Thread: Top Ten Characters From Each Classic Show

Court Magician

Top Ten Characters From Each Classic Show

I'm trying to get re-acclimated to these parts, so I thought I'd start this fun little topic.

From all the MOTU based shows we've gotten so far, what would you say are your favorite characters from each one? They can be main characters or one offs and they don't have to be in any particular order. Completely up to you! I'll be interested in what the answers are.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (80s)
    1. Skeletor = He's the star of He-Man's show and one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time. The dude is a meme machine for a reason. He's too much fun.
    2. Granamyr = My favorite guest character and he debuted in my favorite episode. Granamyr is as sharp tongued as he is impressive
    3. Battlecat = Love that big guy. The contrast between the cowardly Cringer and the aggressiveness of Battlecat was also fun to see
    4. He-Man = He was one of my role models as a kid. It was him, Batman, Optimus Prime, and, uh, Godzilla (I was a weird kid). He-Man's pure goodness felt like something to strive for, a perfect example for kids.
    5. Evil Lyn = She's so much fun because she's so bad
    6. Lord Masque and Shokoti = I put them together because they are big reasons why I love House of Shokoti show much. I watch it every October for Halloween
    7. Trap Jaw = Loved the toy and loved how it translated to animation.
    8. Teela = It felt like she got the best emotionally driven stories and it resulted in some of the show's best moments
    9. Ram Man = Most of the non-royal family good guys from the toyline felt like they had a hard time fitting in, but Rammy was the big exception. He was a loveable oaf.
    10. The Sorceress = One of the show's greatest icons. She was usually used for exposition and/or being the victim for He-Man to save, but she had a friendly demeanor that made her a source of comfort, and her bonds to Teela and He-Man made for some great moments.

She-Ra: Princess of Power (80s)
    1. Shadow Weaver = Great design, and as it turns out, she had more of a backstory than most of the characters. The mystery surrounding her along with her high position in The Horde made her all the more interesting. Also, for a property that is known for silly names, points to her for having probably the coolest name in all of MOTU/POP.
    2. She-Ra = She's the hero. She's the star, and I loved watching her as a kid.
    3. Sea Hawk = A fun Errol Flynn/Han Solo type character that easily outclassed Bow for me on the male representative on the good guy side
    4. Hordak = Love the bad guys. He's not as entertaining as Skeletor, but played the role of tyrant well.
    5. Modulok = One of my favorite toys turned out to be a really fun character in animation (despite not carrying over the toy's gimmick). I was always happy to see him. Also, props for having a character begin on MOTU and fully transition over to the sister series.
    6. Castaspella = She was one of the ones designed to be more of a guest character, but she ended up feeling like a bigger deal to me than Glimmer, Bow, or Queen Angella. Her standing as a powerful sorceress and her ties to Shadow Weaver made her feel important and she was fun to watch too. Points for also hitting on Prince Adam, haha.
    7. Skeletor = I put him low on the list since this isn't his show, but whenever he did show up, it felt like a big deal. Of Shadows and Skulls might be the best Skeletor episode ever.
    8. Frosta = Fantastic design and a really fun character when given material. Check out Sweet Bee's Home!
    9. Mantenna = Poor put upon goof. Got to love the running gag with the trap door, lol. Its weird too because he was surprisingly useful compared to other comedy villains.
    10. He-Man = Again, its not his show, so I put him low on the list, but his presence always elevated the story whenever he showed up.

The New Adventures of He-Man (1991)
    1. Skeletor = The new voice and design were hard to get used to, but after watching for the bit, I enjoyed his over the top cooky personality and the way he manipulated Flogg.
    2. Slush Head = This dude low key had the best arc in the series, just by virtue of being a good natured goof aligned with the bad guys.
    3. Flogg = As leader of the Mutants, Flogg's relationship with Skeletor was more of a partnership on even footing and that was an interesting dynamic, even if he was dumb as bricks.
    4. Quaake = Cool power and gimmick. Sadly, I had a hard time connecting with many of the NA characters, so I gotta base alot of these on how much I liked their gimmick or toy.
    5. Teela = Even though she looked nothing like Teela when she appeared...it was still nice to have her around for a brief spell.
    6. Sagitar = A cool and unique toy and there was at least a little more to his character (feud with Staghorn) than there was to most of the others.
    7. Tuskador = Cool toy that translated well to the show.
    8. Optikk = I'm shocked they didn't use him more. One of the best (probably THE best) action figure of the line and they barely use him? Still it was cool to see that design on the show.
    9. Mara = She started off boring as all get out but developed into a useful hero with her own mission and abilities, so it was nice that a weak character got course corrected.
    10. The Sorceress = Her presence on the show was...confusing (Was she contacted He-Man from Castle Grayskull in the past??? How does that work???) and she looked nothing like herself, but her presence did at least anchor this He-Man to its original incarnation. It was nice to have something familiar.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002)
    1. Skeletor = Might be my favorite version of Skeletor. He's both hilarious and menacing, and always steals the show when he's on screen.
    2. Evil Lyn = She as fun and evil as always, but given a lot more material to flesh her out and make her more interesting.
    3. He-Man = It was a delight to see He-Man realized in a way that felt both classic and new at the same time.
    4. Count Marzo = They took a guest villain from the Filmation show and tied him even closer to He-Man lore, resulting in one of the best "non-aligned" villains in MOTU.
    5. Two Bad = They took advantage of the original toy's ability for the two heads to punch each other, and facilitated an entire backstory to set him up as a character, and it yielded great results.
    6. Kobra Khan = Not only a cool reimagining of an already cool character, but the way they wove him into the Snake Men was pretty unique too.
    7. King Hiss = It was a long wait to get the Snake Men in animation, and it was well worth it when he showed up.
    8. Hordak = Its a shame that he never got a chance to get into the show properly, but the mystery surrounding him and the Satan like role he played in Skeletor's creation made it look like Hordak was the ultimate evil.
    9. Zodak = Not going to lie, I actually prefer the idea of Zodak being a neutral character, but this version is still very cool despite being clearly on the side of good.
    10. Stinkor = This gets credit for the audacity of putting him in the show and making him a big fart joke. Risky move, but props for taking the risk, lol

And the Netflix She-Ra and Princesses of Power...I never saw, so I can't really say anything about it.

What are your picks?

Hmmm, this might be tough, but I'll give it a shot...

80's Filmation MOTU - Although I watched this every chance I could, it always paled in comparison to the mini comics. Trying my hardest to separate the characters I love from the comics and figures and just focus their cartoon depictions...

1. Skeletor - Even though they made him silly, it was still super fun.
    2. Evil-Lyn - I had a huge crush on her even though I hated that helmet/headpiece
    3. Teela - Also had a crush on her
    4. The Sorceress - Also pretty, but I mostly loved her voice
    5. Battle Cat - My favorite heroic warrior although I wished they utilized him better
    6. He-Man - He is the main character of the series after all

80's Filmation POP - This is one of many shows that I loved the intro theme, but never could actually sit through the show.

1. Hordak - I don't think we ever got him in the MOTU show, but I loved the character
    2. She-Ra - She is the main character of the series after all

90's New Adventures - I remember trying my hardest to like this show and the toys, but I just couldn't do it. I hate the designs, the direction, the tone, the changed personalities, etc.

1. Mara - I liked her in the Netflix POP, so in my attempts to revisit this series it was cool seeing her

200X MOTU - Oh, yeah... this is my jam. Visually they got things closer to what I had in my imagination during the 80's and they also did stronger and less silly storytelling.

1. Keldor/Skeletor - Although I wish they went deeper, they introduced just enough to where the MVC/Image and DC comics could expand upon.
    2. Evil-Lyn - My crush on her deepens. A lot is focused on her treachery/backstabbing and her releasing evils, but it's not focused on enough about her interior struggles and her ever burning love for Keldor that she tries to tolerate Skeletor. So many subtle cues in character development and depiction that I greatly appreciated.
    3. The Sorceress - I love her design so much. Wow.
    4. Zodak - After decades of not caring about this character one way or the other, this series turned me around in a major way.
    5. Rattlor & Kobra Khan - I tend to like my Snake Men in pairs. These two as frienemies rocked. It's unfortunate how they failed Tung Lasher (one of my few 200X gripes)
    6. Adam & Teela - I hated Adam as a kid, but this series showed me his potential, too. I loved these two
    7. Battle Cat & Panthor - Although they were just glorified steeds, it was great seeing them

I should probably just stop here or I will just end up naming every character and why I love them.

Netflix POP - Also a huge fan of this one. Again, great storytelling and characterization along with better designs.

1. Entrapta - My favorite of the series. So sweet and adorkable.
    2. Bow & Glimmer - They're so great together... some of the best and well rounded supporting characters ever done
    3. Adora/She-Ra - I really liked her as a character for the first time. I also loved that she didn't have to do the stupid secret identity thing.
    4. Catra - Very complex character. Not as tragic as Keldor to me, but in a similar theme
    5. Hordak - Also complex and also in the same tragic theme as Keldor
    6. Scorpia - Another lovable and adorkable character
    7. Angella - A great mentor character who had her own great backstory
    8. Mara & Light Hope - A great way to tie things from the past into the present
    9. Mermista - Cool character and design, but mostly I dig her voice

I could probably go down the cast for this one, too... but this is a good stopping point.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: Tung Lasher, Rattlor, He-Man, Battle Cat, Panthor, Buzz Off, Webstor, Sorceress, She-Ra, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

So I'm a huge 200x fan first and foremost , I loved the 80s show as a kid but my favourites from filmation are mostly the characters that weren't in 200x or the 80s toyline ( I think , buying the DVDs as an adult , they " surprised" me more than anything) so ,

FILMATION

Strongarm
    Fangman
    Lizardman
    Illeena
    Darkdream
    Xanthor
    He man himself
    Genuinely loved Marlena
    The tingler
    Illeena again because reasons

From she ra

She ra
    Frosta
    Stonedar
    False face
    Swiftwind
    General sunder
    Admiral scurvy
    Dylamug
    Catra
    The red??.. crimson..Knight ?

From na

Drissi
    Slush head
    Optikk
    He slave ( faker in my mind )
    Disks of doom skeletor
    He man
    Dreadator
    Sagitar
    Crita
    The heroic mutant that worked in the garden who's name escapes me

200x

Tri klops
    Fisto
    Trapjaw
    Zodak
    Battlecat
    King grayskull
    Adam
    Two bad
    Keldor
    Skeletor

Netflix she ra

Huntara
    Shadow weaver
    Entrapta
    Bow
    Kyle
    Mermista
    Not hordak ( as in the final season character. Or is he called broken hordak ? )
    Adora
    Angella
    Scorpia

Ask me again tomorrow for a completely different list

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Not hordak ( as in the final season character. Or is he called broken hordak ? )
    Wrong Hordak!

Tweeterhead Statue Want List: Tung Lasher, Rattlor, He-Man, Battle Cat, Panthor, Buzz Off, Webstor, Sorceress, She-Ra, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

I love all the characters from all the different versions of MOTU, POP and New Adventures as well as the 1987 movie. It would take forever to list all the reasons why.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Court Magician
    You know? I didn't include the 87 movie. I'll do a top 10 for that

1) Skeletor = Frank Langella's performance was chef's kiss worthy
    2) Evil Lyn = Meg Foster's eyes are striking and leaves an impression in the role
    3) Blade = The coolest of the new villains and you get the sense that he has a long standing rivalry with He-Man. Makes me wish they'd given him more.
    4) Detective Lubic = Of all the Earth characters, this guy was the coolest, by far, lol
    5) Man-At-Arms = He looked the most like the cartoon and despite not being given much, he captured the fatherly nature of the character from the cartoon.
    6) Gwildor = As a kid, I saw him as Fake Orko, but as I got older, I liked what Billy Barty brought to the movie.
    7) He-Man = Dolph wasn't the best acting choice, but he looked the part and had his cool moments, like his "I Have The Power!" moment.
    8) Saurod = Coolest design of the new villains. Wish they didn't kill him, lol
    9) Teela = Like Man-At-Arms, I wish they had given her more, but her presence was a nice taste of something familiar
    10) Beast Man = As a kid, I was disappointed by the lack of classic villains like Mer Man and Trap Jaw, but Beast Man being there was something to pop for, even if he was just essentially Evil Chewbacca.

Master of New Adventures!
    Grot -- no, not Groot -- was the gardener in NA.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    So I'm a huge 200x fan first and foremost , I loved the 80s show as a kid but my favourites from filmation are mostly the characters that weren't in 200x or the 80s toyline ( I think , buying the DVDs as an adult , they " surprised" me more than anything) so ,

FILMATION

Strongarm
    Fangman
    Lizardman
    Illeena
    Darkdream
    Xanthor
    He man himself
    Genuinely loved Marlena
    The tingler
    Illeena again because reasons

From she ra

She ra
    Frosta
    Stonedar
    False face
    Swiftwind
    General sunder
    Admiral scurvy
    Dylamug
    Catra
    The red??.. crimson..Knight ?

From na

Drissi
    Slush head
    Optikk
    He slave ( faker in my mind )
    Disks of doom skeletor
    He man
    Dreadator
    Sagitar
    Crita
    The heroic mutant that worked in the garden who's name escapes me

200x

Tri klops
    Fisto
    Trapjaw
    Zodak
    Battlecat
    King grayskull
    Adam
    Two bad
    Keldor
    Skeletor

Netflix she ra

Huntara
    Shadow weaver
    Entrapta
    Bow
    Kyle
    Mermista
    Adora
    Angella
    Scorpia

Ask me again tomorrow for a completely different list

Thanks jack , I always thought there was an interesting untapped story behind Grot .the fact that he was a big hulking mutant but gentle and trustworthy enough to be around kaz and drissi , how he got to primus , why he was a pacifist , just a proper hidden gem of a character

Hmm. Let's see. I think I'll have to focus on the Filmation and MYP He-Man cartoons, because they're the ones I actually know the characters of. Only saw a handful of the New Adventures eps and didn't much like them, and as for the original She-Ra... really, the only characters there that stood out in any way to me were Kowl and Madame Razz. And I suppose Mantenna, because he was like Hodak's punching bag, Other than that, I could barely tell the difference between anyone. (Now, if you'd asked me about the Netflix series, I would have had a much more detailes answer, but this isn't the place for that, so...)

So, My top ten for the Filmation He-Man.

1: Orko. LOVE that little imp. Of all the characters, he was the one I'd have wanted to hang out with IRL. He was an overeager screw-up, but really he tended to be useful more often than not.
    2: Skeletor. Unlike many cartoon villains of the time, he had a PERSONALITY. He was also the funniest char on the show, bar none.
    3: The Sorceress. She wasn't often used well, and later incarnations tend to be even worse about using her, but I liked her. She's one of the most laidback, understanding "mentor" figures I've seen.
    4: Ram-Man. He just had so much personality, and at times he even got something resembling character depth, like when he lamented that people kept calling him an idiot when he wasn't actually stupid... he was just SLOW.
    5: Prince Adam/He-Man. I usually don't put the main hero of a show anywhere on the top ten list, because I'm so much a "side characters" gal. So the fact that he's even ON this list is remarkable. I suppose I just like that he's an upstanding superhero... but doesn't take himself too seriously. Like, I'll be watching the Filmation cartoon and laughing because it's so ridiculous, and it's like He-Man is laughing along with me and going "I know, right? Gotta love it!"
    6: Trap-Jaw and Beastman. Yeah, I'm lumping them together. They were just the BEST villain duo, and they were their best when they were together. Most of the villains just seemed like they couldn't stand each other, but Trap-Jaw and Beastman just seemed like they were good buddies. I'm a sucker for villainous friendships.
    7: Cringer/Battlecat. He'd be farther up on the list if it wasn't so really inconsistent whether he talked when he was Battlecat or not. Some episodes he just growled, and some episodes he was flinging sarcasms ledt and right. I much preferred the latter ones.
    8: Queen Marlena. Like the Sorceress, I felt she wasn't really used to her full potential... but when she WAS used, she was one of the better characters. Where King Randor seemed to have "I'm very disappointed in you, Adam" as his sole character trait, Marlena had a broader personality, even if she had a smaller role.
    9: Uncle Montork. I always really enjoyed his episodes... much more than Dree Elle's, really. Dree Elle was okay, but Montork just had a much stronger personality, as the slightly quirky elderly wizard who called Orko "Orko, my boy!" and who just seemed so much more powerful than he let on.
    10: Granamyr: He was a lazy dragon. He was definitely one of the more memorable side characters.

Sorry, no Teela or Evil-Lyn. Teela was always just too serious for me, and Evil-Lyn... she would have made a Top 11, but she can't beat out Granamyr.

My top ten for the MYP He-Man:

1: Skeletor. MYP really knew their stuff with him, because he was STILL the funniest character on the show. In fact, other than being a bigger actual threat, he had barely changed from his Filmation days. Laughing and wisecracking and insulting the world and acting like a jerk just because, This Skeletor is the REASON I'm into MOTU at all. It was seeing that skuil-faced sorcerer saying "I believe I'm going to gag" that convinced me that this show would be worth checking out.
    2: Orko. He and Skeletor swapped places here. I still love MYP Orko, but MYP doesn't really use him half as well as Filmation did. He's less often useful, and sometimes you just kind of wonder why he's even in the show. But then he'll switch around and be AWESOME in an episode, and so all in all he still deserves the Number 2 spot.
    3: Moss Man. I don't exactly know why I fell so hard for this character... it was just that I always looked forward to seeing him. He was OP as all get-out, but I liked his calm attitude and that Southern drawl.
    4: Fisto. He was a boastful and a bit of a blowhard, but he was fun. I always appreciated his episodes.
    5: The Oracle. Okay, he was only in one episode and only had a couple of scenes, but he made the most of them.
    6: Clawful. What can I say? I like a good idiot, and Clawful was REALLY a good idiot.
    7: Buzz-Off. I always kind of had the feel that he wasn't totally a good guy. I mean, yeah, he was heroic and definitely someone you'd want on your side, but it was also like... much like Dinobot on Beast Wars, he was the good guy who didn't totally fit in with the good guys because he was too much of a warrior, but ALSO wouldn't fit in with the bad guys because he was too honourable. I really thought they should have done more with him.
    8: Teela. I flip-flopped on Teela for a long time. Sometimes I thought this incarnation was horribly unlikeable, other times I thought she was kind of cool. In the end, I like how they tried to explore her character more, so she makes the Top Ten list.
    9: Stinkor. Okay, he's on the list mainly because he was responsible for the funniest ending of an episode. I mean... the episode ended with Skeletor laughing hysterically because Stinkor farted.
    10: Prince Adam/He-Man. He BARELY makes the list. I don't think he's anywhere near as likeable here as he was in Filmation, and whenever he does have some scenes I really like it's almost always as Adam and never as He-Man. As He-Man he's just too straight-faced for me to really enjoy, but as Adam he at least gets some good character development... not to mention, he sometimes displayed a great gift of the gab that I really kept wanting to see more of.

Evil-Lyn still doesn't make the list... she's pretty much on the same level as her Filmation counterpart. The Sorceress was haughty and unlikeable, and Queen Marlena was barely a character.
    Last edited by Dina M; June 17, 2021 at 03:23am.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Evil-Lyn is my favourite character from any MOTU version.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Fair. She never makes my fave character list, but... well it wouldn't be MOTU without her, would it?
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.