Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Asterix the Gaul - Fantastic animated films and books

  1. #1
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59

    Asterix the Gaul - Fantastic animated films and books



    I wanted to put some effort into this so please kindly read as I do feel it's a wonderful community here who will enjoy this, however I was wondering if anybody here loves and enjoys the Asterix the Gaul franchise also?

    It's a strange one because you can ask people about Asterix and some won't have a clue, yet others will be really enthusiastic about it after they've discovered it or are also a fan, it's such a fantastic franchise which has adult humour, historical reference yet is family friendly too which makes it so great.

    The franchise is absolutely HUGE in France, there's even a Parc Asterix and it's such a wonderful well put together thing which initially started out as French books but then adapted into some wonderful animated movies based from the books and some that became a film first such as 'The Twelve Tasks of Asterix'.



    For those who don't know it's a series about Gaulish warriors who are in battle against Julius Caesar and the Roman army who have taken over Gaul (now known as France) apart from one small village where Asterix, Obelix and the characters in the village have been holding out against the Romans in lots of various adventures accompanied by Getafix the village druid who created a magic potion that gives them super human strength (apart from Obelix as he fell into the cauldron when he was a baby) however the adventures are so good.

    If you watch the first 6:30 of the video below it explains and introduces you to some of the characters who have fantastic names that play on words such as Vitalstatistix, Cacofonix, Geriatrix etc. and the characters are so unique. It has lots of humour with puns, caricatures and tongue and cheek stereotypes such as Asterix in Britain which really is such a great, great tongue and cheek play on the characters in the UK; it's really good how they do this.

    They also have subtle historical references such as in 'The Twelve Tasks of Asterix' there's a scene where Brutus is playing about with a knife which Caesar then says "Brutus, stop playing about with that knife you'll end up hurting somebody" then while Brutus is off screen you hear an "ouch" in the background with Brutus coming back on screen with a bandage around his finger which is an historical reference to Brutus who was one of the men who stabbed and killed the historical Caesar (see 8:11 in the video below).



    The video above is called The Twelve Tasks of Asterix which I really recommend watching if you haven't done so already, it's so good and I do feel you guys would really enjoy this. This was originally made as an animated film before the book (which usually they would make the films based off the books) however it was written and directed by Renť Goscinny and Albert Uderzo (the creators of Asterix) so it's really good.

    In this after years of his Roman army constantly being defeated by the Gauls who come to the conclusion they must be Gods, Caesar offers the Gauls a deal, if they can perform twelve special tasks successfully he will hand over the Roman Empire. If the Gauls fail, they will have to surrender.

    Some of the tasks they have to do are:

    • Run faster than Asbestos, champion of the Olympic Games.
    • Throw a javelin farther than Verses, the Persian.
    • Beat Cilindric, the German wrestler.
    • Cross a lake and survive the isle of pleasure.
    • Survive the hypnotic gaze of Iris, the Egyptian.
    • Finish a meal by Calorofix, the Belgian.
    • Survive the Cave of the Beast.
    • Find Permit A 38 in "The Place That Sends You Mad".
    • Cross a ravine on an invisible tightrope.
    • Climb a mountain and answer the Old Man's riddle.
    • Spend a night on the haunted plains.
    • Survive the Colosseum.

    It has lots of humour, is a great adventure and I do feel you guys here will really enjoy this if you haven't seen this already.

    They've had movies over the years (including a Netflix series in 2023), console games etc. and are huge in France and Europe as well as certain parts of US and Canada, probably other countries also however here in the UK I'll get a ton of people who know Asterix and then there'll be lots who don't and the franchise has been around for years with movie's, games, on TV etc. and lots of people do highly enjoy the books so it really is worth a watch if you haven't seen it before and with the similar basis of battle like with He-Man, I'm sure many here will really enjoy this

    ----

    Some of the other animated films I recommend you watch are:

    Asterix the Gaul - This was the first animated film which really sets the foundations for the franchise. After countless beatings by Asterix and Obelix, the Romans decide to kidnap the druid Getafix in the hope of getting the secret formula for his magic potion.



    Asterix in Britain - This is really good too, Roman troops are storming through Europe in the first century B.C., and just a sliver of British soil remains free of Caesar's grasp. After learning of the British plight, Asterix and Obelix set out to aid their northern neighbours. Their quest: to deliver a potion that will boost British resolve and fighting skills. By turns, their journey proves whimsical, arduous and terrifying.



    Asterix and Caesar - Obelix falls for a new arrival in his home village but is heartbroken when her true love arrives to visit her. However, the lovers are kidnapped by Romans; Asterix and Obelix set out to rescue them on a dangerous journey that will involve gladiators, slavers and beauracracy - and a personal encounter with Julius Caesar.



    Asterix and the Big Fight - When the druid Panoramix is attacked by some roman soldiers, Obelix drives them away by throwing a menhir on them - which accidentally hits Panoramix. After this the druid has lost his memory and can not remember the formula of his magic potions, especially the one which gives superhuman strength.

    I can't find this on Youtube in full but here's the trailer



    ----

    You can find these on Amazon Prime (some which are free) and I'm sure various other platforms depending on your location if you prefer to get yourself a nice hot drink, some food etc. and watch on your TV for a really good relaxing night

    There's also more recent films such as "Asterix and the Mansion of the Gods" (2014) and "Asterix and the Secret of the Magic Potion" (2018) which are good but definitely watch the original animations first as these are the best and it's worth watching the later ones if you enjoy the originals and if you love the books, I think there's 39 original books which again are very, very highly regarded.

    I'll let you guys discover this if you haven't already and if you already are a fan then I'd love to hear from you as Asterix truly is absolutely fantastic and has something for everyone, I feel it's a little underrated to be honest.

    Hope you guys are well and hope to hear from some of you soon, however enjoy
    Last edited by The 90'z Rules; June 12, 2021 at 06:10am.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Dragon's Head
    Posts
    137
    Wonderful write-up, and yes, I absolutely love Asterix as well.

    When I was a kid, the books were still everywhere, bookstores, school libraries, etc. I still have a set of these. And I do have the videos on DVD as well, "Twelve Tasks" is hands down my favorite, it's actually one of my favorite animated movies of all time. So glad to see a fellow Asterix fan...again, I really enjoyed your overview and thoughts!

  3. #3
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,811
    Until now I knew nothing about this except for I have a very nice side scrolling beat-em-up arcade mame with these guys that's a lot of fun.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  4. #4
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post
    Wonderful write-up, and yes, I absolutely love Asterix as well.

    When I was a kid, the books were still everywhere, bookstores, school libraries, etc. I still have a set of these. And I do have the videos on DVD as well, "Twelve Tasks" is hands down my favorite, it's actually one of my favorite animated movies of all time. So glad to see a fellow Asterix fan...again, I really enjoyed your overview and thoughts!

    Aw thank you, yeah I wanted to really put some time into it as you guys here are wonderful and I do feel Asterix will appeal to a lot of fans of He-Man but it has so much in it also doesn't it, be it the humour, historical references, fights or the adventures, it's just really good

    And yeah, so glad you saw the books everywhere, that's the thing people either know massively or don't really know much haha.

    Totally agree with you about "Twelve Tasks" too, it's also one of mine favourite animated movies of all time too, everyone should see it haha

    Thanks for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the write up

    PS There's a Netflix series coming for Asterix too in 2023 if you want to have a look: https://about.netflix.com/en/news/as...nimated-series

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Until now I knew nothing about this except for I have a very nice side scrolling beat-em-up arcade mame with these guys that's a lot of fun.
    Aw yeah, honestly, that's not uncommon, people either know all about it or not so much however the post is here for both sides as it really is something you should watch if you have the time

    Have a night in at some point and watch "The Twelve Tasks of Asterix", use the Youtube link above on your TV if you can or see if it's on any of your streaming platforms you may have (it's on Amazon Prime free in the UK) but I really, really think you'll really enjoy this so much!!

    Just get yourself relaxed, the lights low, your favourite drinks and food and put it on and enjoy, it's absolutely brilliant

    - - - Updated - - -

    I've added Asterix in Britain to the main post, forgot this one and it's awesome
    Last edited by The 90'z Rules; June 11, 2021 at 10:38am.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,673
    Awesome post.
    I enjoyed watching some of the Asterix cartoons growing up.
    I recall I had an Obelix figurine I got in a Kinder Egg.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior felgekarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sheffield, UK.
    Posts
    1,405
    If I remember correctly doesnít asterix and the big fight animation not have the big fight in it or was that just some weird version I watched?

  7. #7
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Awesome post.
    I enjoyed watching some of the Asterix cartoons growing up.
    I recall I had an Obelix figurine I got in a Kinder Egg.
    Thank you, really glad you enjoyed the post. I did want to spend some time putting it together too so really glad you enjoyed it and thank you!!

    Yeah, that's the thing with them as an adult you can really appreciate the subtle humour and historical references too, even if you don't really get or know the historical references such as the Brutus one in Twelve Tasks for example there's just so much within them and they do have a huge following from the books to the films, they're just great ��

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    If I remember correctly doesn’t asterix and the big fight animation not have the big fight in it or was that just some weird version I watched?
    I'm not sure what you watched but the story on that is the one where Getafix is hit by a menhir and he forgets how to put the magic potion together which is what the Gaul's rely on while defeating the Roman army, hence the big fight ��

    If you haven't seen some of the others though, have a browse if you get the time (and if you fancy it of course), Twelve Tasks is absolutely brilliant to start off with and it gets into it pretty much straight away too ��
    Last edited by The 90'z Rules; June 12, 2021 at 08:42am.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior felgekarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sheffield, UK.
    Posts
    1,405
    The big fight comic I have has a fight in a boxing/wrestling ring, I donít recall that being in the film. I have watched a few and I do like asterix though.

  9. #9
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    The big fight comic I have has a fight in a boxing/wrestling ring, I donít recall that being in the film. I have watched a few and I do like asterix though.
    Have you seen the Twelve Tasks? 😊

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior felgekarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sheffield, UK.
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    Have you seen the Twelve Tasks? 😊
    Yes, although itís been a while, itís up on UK prime so iíll give it another watch at some point.

  11. #11
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Yes, although itís been a while, itís up on UK prime so iíll give it another watch at some point.
    Yeah, definitely give it a watch again at some point, if you haven't seen it for ages you'll probably realise how good it is again too specially with all the subtle humour and just how well it's all put together. It doesn't take long to get into the tasks either which is really good

    Yeah I noticed there's a few on Prime, Asterix the Gaul is on there which I'm sure was free but that's a paid one now however Twelve Tasks is free as part of the membership as is Asterix and Cleopatra, also the newer Asterix and the Mansion of the Gods is on there too as part of Prime but either way they're linked above anyway if you fancy them also

    Asterix the Gaul is also really good as even though it's the first one so the animation is a little better in the later one's it sets the foundations and is a great movie anyway, I actually like the raw animation with it also as it's really authentic but yeah they're all really good

    Let me know if you do decide to watch any, however enjoy 😊

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Dina M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    171
    My dad was big into Asterix, so I basically grew up with the albums. I didn't read them in any sort of chronology... kind of just read whichever was at hand at the time... but since most of the stories were standalone anyway, that didn't matter too much. So I was always very fond of Asterix. It wasn't my fave comic or anything, but it was always kind of at the forefront of my mind whenever I was thinking "quality comics."

    Curiously enough. I did NOT like the animated Asterix the Gaul., I found it to have bad animation, subpar acting and awful timing. The story (directly taken from the first album with hardly any divergence at all) is good, but it's not presented well. It wasn't a surprise to discover that it's the only Asterix movie that was made without any input from the original creators Goscinny and Uderzo, or that when they saw the finished movie they insisted on having a personal hand in all future Asterix movies...

    Luckily, the next movies turned out much better. I've seen them all, too... some are better than others, but most of them have at least some moments of brilliance.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

  13. #13
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    My dad was big into Asterix, so I basically grew up with the albums. I didn't read them in any sort of chronology... kind of just read whichever was at hand at the time... but since most of the stories were standalone anyway, that didn't matter too much. So I was always very fond of Asterix. It wasn't my fave comic or anything, but it was always kind of at the forefront of my mind whenever I was thinking "quality comics."

    Curiously enough. I did NOT like the animated Asterix the Gaul., I found it to have bad animation, subpar acting and awful timing. The story (directly taken from the first album with hardly any divergence at all) is good, but it's not presented well. It wasn't a surprise to discover that it's the only Asterix movie that was made without any input from the original creators Goscinny and Uderzo, or that when they saw the finished movie they insisted on having a personal hand in all future Asterix movies...

    Luckily, the next movies turned out much better. I've seen them all, too... some are better than others, but most of them have at least some moments of brilliance.
    Yeah, I think with the comics you can pretty much read any when you want really and it doesn't matter. Asterix The Gaul is probably a good one to start with as it's the first one and an introduction to them too but it's not like you have to or anything really as they're all just adventures on their own so it doesn't really matter

    Yeah, this is the thing with the first Asterix the Gaul, the first one was very raw in regards to the animation but the thing I like about it is that raw animation as I feel that it brings some sort of authentic feel with it, it's like the early episodes of The Simpsons, I love season one lots simply because it's authentic and brings that raw feel to the show, the mistakes and less polished animation add's to it for me although I do love how the series improved (and same with Asterix as after Asterix the Gaul it was all improved by so much) and it's the same with Beavis and Butt-head and their early episodes (known as the crude era), Mike Judge (creator) really doesn't like them, he thinks they are terrible but the fact they are so roughly drawn again, add's to that which of course by the second season or so this also improved by a million miles so I guess it's what you like really, no right or wrong with it

    But yeah, you're right about Asterix the Gaul too, from what I heard they weren't too happy about it and there was another movie too (Asterix and the Golden Sickle) by the same people and Goscinny and Uderzo weren't happy and stopped it being released, here's so info about that here:

    "The problem was, Albert Uderzo and Rene Goscinny had no idea that these movies were made and were not happy about it at all when they found out. According to Asterix.com, Goscinny and Uderzo were invited to a film screening by Georges Darguad and were "staggered to see a cartoon using their story and their graphics." They couldn't stop Gaul from being released but "to prevent a chill wind blowing up between the publisher/producer and his much venerated authors" the Asterix and the Golden Sickle Film project was ceremoniously dumped. Goscinny and Uderzo instead went on to make Asterix and Cleopatra under their own direction."

    I think Twelve Tasks is the one most people love, as that's just incredible throughout, Asterix in Britain too seems a very popular one as does Asterix and Cleopatra which I like but it's not my favourite from them, they're all enjoyable though for me personally but in different ways (as I say, Asterix the Gaul that rough authentic feel I kinda like) but yeah, I hear you on that completely

    Thanks for your kind input, I appreciate that

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Dina M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    171
    No problem. Always a pleasure to find a fellow Asterix fan!

    As for Asterix the Gaul, the movie... it's not so much the bad animation I mind, but the bad pacing and horrible timing. The movie DRAGS. The jokes fall flat because they're not used well, and the timing is sluggish, making for a boring movie. I actually watched the movie before I read that particular album, and I remember I was pretty bored by it... when I later read the album, I thought the story worked MUCH better as a comic. So I think the main problem was that they simply took the comic and tried to make it a movie, without accounting for the different demands for the different mediums. What makes for a good COMIC might make for a boring CARTOON, and vice versa. The one thing I will praise the movie for is the music. The music is really good, especially Asterix's theme.

    Asterix and Cleopatra, the movie, is pretty much an improvement in every way. Not only is the animation better, but the story has been adapted better to fit in with the animated format. Everything feels a lot more lively and energetic, and the new gags work better for the movie. In fact, there's only one section of the movie I could have done without, and that's Obelix's song about food. It's just... I get what they were GOING for, but it just doesn't go anywhere. At least Cleopatra's song as she takes a bath has some small importance to the movie, as it introduces her pet lion.

    Twelve Tasks is less a movie and more a series of skits, but luckily several of those skits are REALLY FUNNY. It actually took a long time before I got to see that movie, and while it's... not at all what I'd usually think of when I think of Asterix, it's really entertaining. I mean, I watched it like three times.

    Eh, since I've began summing up the movies and what I thought of them I might as well keep going. In release order:

    Asterix VS Caesar: One of the first Asterix movies I saw, so I have a bit of nostalgia there. The animation's got a bit of a facelift, even though the character models are all over the place. The plot isn't the most focused... but really, it's all worth it just to see Asterix and Obelix do their thing so flawlessly... especially when contrasted against the far more Disney protagonist like Tragicomix and Panacea. I kind of REALLY LIKED how the more realistically-drawn, sexy Disney like couple got into some pretty dire situations, and then when the cartoonish Askerix and Obelix get into the SAME situations later on, they just turn it into slapstick comedy.

    Asterix in Britain: Starts off a little slow, but as soon as we get to the Gaulish village it picks up, and becomes REALLY good once we follow Asterix and Obelix on their journey to Britain. I'd say this is probably one of the best Asterix movies overall. It's funny, but it has a strong story too. Like Cleopatra, it takes an already good comic album and adapts it really well for the animation medium.

    Asterix and the Big Fight: I don't know why, but this movie always just feels UNSETTLING to me. The tone just feels unusually bleak and dire for an Asterix movie. I like the increased focus on the villagers, and the fake soothsayer is one of the best villains in the franchise, but... I can't help it, this just feels so gloomy and depressing. Once again it suffers from bad pacing; some scenes (like the legionaire testing out the various potions) drag on forever, while other scenes (like Getafix's recovery) speed by too fast. It's a movie I'd rather skip out on, really.

    Asterix in America: Um. Well. Problematic depictions of Native American people aside, it's... okay. I honestly keep forgetting about it. I know I've seen it twice, but I can barely remember anything apart from the sexy Native American Princess, and the villainous medicine man, and not much about them either. Oh, wait, I remember the really catchy song they sing at the end!

    Asterix and the Vikings: This movie is GORGEOUS. It has what's probably the best 2D animation in any Asterix movie... and really, it basically de-does some of the tropes with the Native Americans from the previous movie, and does them again with the Vikings here... but they do them BETTER. The Vikings are really fun, and while the story kinda deviates from the comic it was based on, the story it does tell is still pretty good. The only complaint is that Justforkix kind of takes over the movie. and if you don't like him you'll definitely have some problems enjoying it... but I DO like the relationship between him and Obelix. It's not often Obelix gets to be any kind of mentor figure, but he manages it in this movie without actually moving out of character.

    Mansions of the Gods: It's the first CGI Asterix movie, and it's awesome. It does pretty much everything right. The villagers have nice roles, Asterix and Obelix get to do lots of funny stuff, and we get a plot with actual stakes. The only thing I don't like about this movie is the stylized into sequence, and that's mainly because it just doesn't capture the Asterix feel. It's more like "Asterix leads a nightmarish existence where he is constantly hounded and outclassed by the massive Roman army and is always having to run for his life," which isn't Asterix at all. Yeah. I get that it's foreshadowing for a scene in the movie, but all in all I was happy when the intro was over and we went into the actual movie.

    Secret of the Magic Potion: The first Asterix movie with a wholly original plot since Twelve Tasks, and... I really like it. It's actually more a Getafix movie than anything; he's definitely the main character here. Asterix... kind of doesn't get to do a whole lot apart from being unusually grouchy, but apart from that I REALLY like this movie. It totally feels like an Asterix movie. And once again, we get a plot with high stakes, but where everything works out in the end.


    Whew! That's not going into the live-action adaptations, of course, but those are a whole different cauldron of magic potion.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

  15. #15
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    No problem. Always a pleasure to find a fellow Asterix fan!

    As for Asterix the Gaul, the movie... it's not so much the bad animation I mind, but the bad pacing and horrible timing. The movie DRAGS. The jokes fall flat because they're not used well, and the timing is sluggish, making for a boring movie. I actually watched the movie before I read that particular album, and I remember I was pretty bored by it... when I later read the album, I thought the story worked MUCH better as a comic. So I think the main problem was that they simply took the comic and tried to make it a movie, without accounting for the different demands for the different mediums. What makes for a good COMIC might make for a boring CARTOON, and vice versa. The one thing I will praise the movie for is the music. The music is really good, especially Asterix's theme.

    Asterix and Cleopatra, the movie, is pretty much an improvement in every way. Not only is the animation better, but the story has been adapted better to fit in with the animated format. Everything feels a lot more lively and energetic, and the new gags work better for the movie. In fact, there's only one section of the movie I could have done without, and that's Obelix's song about food. It's just... I get what they were GOING for, but it just doesn't go anywhere. At least Cleopatra's song as she takes a bath has some small importance to the movie, as it introduces her pet lion.

    Twelve Tasks is less a movie and more a series of skits, but luckily several of those skits are REALLY FUNNY. It actually took a long time before I got to see that movie, and while it's... not at all what I'd usually think of when I think of Asterix, it's really entertaining. I mean, I watched it like three times.

    Eh, since I've began summing up the movies and what I thought of them I might as well keep going. In release order:

    Asterix VS Caesar: One of the first Asterix movies I saw, so I have a bit of nostalgia there. The animation's got a bit of a facelift, even though the character models are all over the place. The plot isn't the most focused... but really, it's all worth it just to see Asterix and Obelix do their thing so flawlessly... especially when contrasted against the far more Disney protagonist like Tragicomix and Panacea. I kind of REALLY LIKED how the more realistically-drawn, sexy Disney like couple got into some pretty dire situations, and then when the cartoonish Askerix and Obelix get into the SAME situations later on, they just turn it into slapstick comedy.

    Asterix in Britain: Starts off a little slow, but as soon as we get to the Gaulish village it picks up, and becomes REALLY good once we follow Asterix and Obelix on their journey to Britain. I'd say this is probably one of the best Asterix movies overall. It's funny, but it has a strong story too. Like Cleopatra, it takes an already good comic album and adapts it really well for the animation medium.

    Asterix and the Big Fight: I don't know why, but this movie always just feels UNSETTLING to me. The tone just feels unusually bleak and dire for an Asterix movie. I like the increased focus on the villagers, and the fake soothsayer is one of the best villains in the franchise, but... I can't help it, this just feels so gloomy and depressing. Once again it suffers from bad pacing; some scenes (like the legionaire testing out the various potions) drag on forever, while other scenes (like Getafix's recovery) speed by too fast. It's a movie I'd rather skip out on, really.

    Asterix in America: Um. Well. Problematic depictions of Native American people aside, it's... okay. I honestly keep forgetting about it. I know I've seen it twice, but I can barely remember anything apart from the sexy Native American Princess, and the villainous medicine man, and not much about them either. Oh, wait, I remember the really catchy song they sing at the end!

    Asterix and the Vikings: This movie is GORGEOUS. It has what's probably the best 2D animation in any Asterix movie... and really, it basically de-does some of the tropes with the Native Americans from the previous movie, and does them again with the Vikings here... but they do them BETTER. The Vikings are really fun, and while the story kinda deviates from the comic it was based on, the story it does tell is still pretty good. The only complaint is that Justforkix kind of takes over the movie. and if you don't like him you'll definitely have some problems enjoying it... but I DO like the relationship between him and Obelix. It's not often Obelix gets to be any kind of mentor figure, but he manages it in this movie without actually moving out of character.

    Mansions of the Gods: It's the first CGI Asterix movie, and it's awesome. It does pretty much everything right. The villagers have nice roles, Asterix and Obelix get to do lots of funny stuff, and we get a plot with actual stakes. The only thing I don't like about this movie is the stylized into sequence, and that's mainly because it just doesn't capture the Asterix feel. It's more like "Asterix leads a nightmarish existence where he is constantly hounded and outclassed by the massive Roman army and is always having to run for his life," which isn't Asterix at all. Yeah. I get that it's foreshadowing for a scene in the movie, but all in all I was happy when the intro was over and we went into the actual movie.

    Secret of the Magic Potion: The first Asterix movie with a wholly original plot since Twelve Tasks, and... I really like it. It's actually more a Getafix movie than anything; he's definitely the main character here. Asterix... kind of doesn't get to do a whole lot apart from being unusually grouchy, but apart from that I REALLY like this movie. It totally feels like an Asterix movie. And once again, we get a plot with high stakes, but where everything works out in the end.


    Whew! That's not going into the live-action adaptations, of course, but those are a whole different cauldron of magic potion.
    Wow, what an awesome post, thank you so much for the effort and time you put into that, that was awesome!!!

    Yeah I can understand that with Asterix the Gaul, I mean like we say Goscinny and Uderzo weren't even involved in it and we saw the difference in regards to when they were from the rest of the animated films, I do wonder what Asterix and the Golden Sickle would have been like, out of pure intrigue more than anything but I'm not even sure the movie actually exists now as they weren't happy, didn't know and stopped it straight away then went on to do the rest with their involvement of course ��

    Yeah Asterix and Cleopatra, that movie actually starts off really well with their humour talking about the language dubbing and the mouth movements haha, soon as they were involved in the films you could see the humour they have, that unique humour come in to play from the beginning, they really were so good at doing this within the books and within the movies, the humour side of things is what makes them very special also among the actual concept and writing of the adventures too but they are very unique ��

    Which going into Twelve Tasks also really shows, some that come to mind for me such as "Join the army they say, it's a real mans life they say" as the Roman is walking after the opening battle, the conversation between the Roman leader from that battle and the Roman talking about how they must be Gods, Caius Tiddlus and his walk with Obelix mimicking him haha, Julius Caesar when he goes to meet the Gauls to present the tasks and talks about Hercules and Obelix says "OOh Hercules the Grocer" haha, it goes on and on but alongside the actual creativity of the tasks too and when you learn about the historical referances on top (IE the Brutus thing in the original post), it's just very clever and really good haha

    Speaking of this, do you have a favourite task from this one? A lot of people tend to like the place that sends you mad which is a great, great scene for sure, specially as they're going through to find the permit and the way they actually play it in their favour and turn it around is very good haha however I really like the old man of the mountains, it's quirky is the humour in that too and it's just silly little things like when they're climbing the mountain and Obelix gets stuck lol or when the bird flies in and gets Obelix or when the snow falls down onto them haha, it's little subtle things like that which might not sound like much but are funny when you see them, The haunted plains is good when Asterix has a go at him about being tired haha and the all you can eat restaurant thing where obviously Obelix is up for the task haha, they're all really good but it is those little quirky things which are funny too lol

    Some of those clips are here ��



    Yesss in regards to Asterix and Caesar haha, you nailed that one, it is good how they do their thing so flawlessly throughout that and Obelix being all love struck too is funny ha Asterix in Britain is definitely a fan favourite and you can see why really, they really captured the British humour in this as well and like when they go to the pub, the Roman's opening up all the beer barrels etc... haha, its good, it's a really good little adventure is that one �� and yeah, when Asterix and the Vikings first came out I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it as it all felt new at that point as opposed to the classic animated films but it turned out to be really good and like you say, it looks lovely too, I haven't watched that one for a while but I'll have to watch it again soon as it has been a while since I've seen that one as opposed to the original films which I've watched a lot on Amazon Prime lately (I have them all on DVD too but they're all packed away so tend to use the streaming services like Netflix, Prime etc. now) though I did watch both Mansions of the Gods and Secret of the Magic Potion a couple of weeks or so again too and yeah, they're really, really good; when you think about the whole franchise on a whole it's pretty solid, even though as you say you have your favourites and there's some you prefer more than others, not as keen on as others etc.. it's all great is that as I do like to hear what people like and don't like as much and it's what makes it really interesting too ��

    I'm intrigued to see what the Netflix series will be like in 2023, they put this out recently in regards to it ��

    Last edited by The 90'z Rules; June 16, 2021 at 03:16pm.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Dina M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    171
    I think I agree with you about the Old Man on the Mountain segment being my fave task. The Place that Makes You Mad is a classic, and I can see why people get a kick out of it, but the Old Man segment just ends on a much more surprising point. I mean, with the beuracracy you can sort of see where the skit is going very quickly, but I was NOT expecting the Old Man segment to end on a laundry detergent commercial! Complete with a naked goddess going about how it leaves your hands so soft." Definitely the biggest surprise of the movie, if we're not counting the ending.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,673
    I recall when i was really young I used to find drawing the wings on Aestrix's helmet really difficult.

    After reading all this about Aestrix I really must re-watch some of the movies.

  18. #18
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    I think I agree with you about the Old Man on the Mountain segment being my fave task. The Place that Makes You Mad is a classic, and I can see why people get a kick out of it, but the Old Man segment just ends on a much more surprising point. I mean, with the beuracracy you can sort of see where the skit is going very quickly, but I was NOT expecting the Old Man segment to end on a laundry detergent commercial! Complete with a naked goddess going about how it leaves your hands so soft." Definitely the biggest surprise of the movie, if we're not counting the ending.
    Haha, yeah, it seems to be underrated a little that task, like you don't hear it mentioned as much as the others such as the place that sends you mad and the isle of pleasure etc.. same with the restaurant task too, that's a pretty good one, makes me laugh when he comes out with "and a piece of toast to go with it" alongside all the huge amounts of food haha, the wrestler is good too how Asterix gets through that task but yeah, the detergent haha

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I recall when i was really young I used to find drawing the wings on Aestrix's helmet really difficult.

    After reading all this about Aestrix I really must re-watch some of the movies.
    Yeah I can imagine actually, imagine hand drawing them all the time in animation too, must have been well hard to do that with the angles etc. also.

    Yeah, which one's have you seen, I definitely recommend starting off with Twelve Tasks if you haven't seen it already (even if you have it's a good one to go back to) but they're all really great in their own way

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    Yeah I can imagine actually, imagine hand drawing them all the time in animation too, must have been well hard to do that with the angles etc. also.

    Yeah, which one's have you seen, I definitely recommend starting off with Twelve Tasks if you haven't seen it already (even if you have it's a good one to go back to) but they're all really great in their own way
    I honestly am not sure of the names of which ones I have seen. I will try and download the Twelve Tasks later and watch it.

  20. #20
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I honestly am not sure of the names of which ones I have seen. I will try and download the Twelve Tasks later and watch it.
    Yeah no worries, it's on Amazon Prime free is that if you have Amazon Prime (Twelve Tasks and Asterix and Cleopatra are both free) although you can use the links in the original post if need be also

    Asterix in Britain is really good too although I'm not sure that's free on Prime but it's also above anyway, let me know what you think after you've watched it

    Enjoy!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I recall when i was really young I used to find drawing the wings on Aestrix's helmet really difficult.

    After reading all this about Aestrix I really must re-watch some of the movies.
    I was just watching this and it reminded me of your comment with the drawing, about 45 seconds in from Parc Asterix in France.


  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    I was just watching this and it reminded me of your comment with the drawing, about 45 seconds in from Parc Asterix in France.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHPiW_MiwtA
    Wow. That is awesome. I've never heard of Parc Asterix before.

  22. #22
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Wow. That is awesome. I've never heard of Parc Asterix before.
    Yeah, it's a place in France which is supposed to be really good

    There's lots of guides on Youtube but they're quite long however there's a little short promo for it here if you fancy a browse


  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    518
    I hate Asterix the fraud . I am an Obelix fan . Would any of you prefer the Adventures of Jimmy Olsen with trusty sidekick SuperMan ? How about Orko and the Masters of the universe where HeMan is graciously allowed to tag along ....

    Druid Getafix is the only person who knows how to make the magic potion . Obelix is permanently on the Juice . What is Asterix without the potion but the saddest weakest of Gaul warriors . Asterix is not the most intelligent that's Getafix . Obelix is an immortal being , He never needed to be smart

    For the life of me I have no idea why that village is not throwing their most beautiful women at Obelix . It's clear why Asterix is not allowed a girl . He should be grateful it's not Sparta , they would have thrown him off a mountain as a baby .
    Last edited by Lokus; June 22, 2021 at 04:39am.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •