Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surgery for me

Master of New Adventures!

Surgery for me

As many know, I suffered a mini-stroke a year and a half ago and a minor heart attack this January. I've been recovering well, but a recent CT Scan revealed a 76% blockage in my left carotid artery, the initial blockage there being the cause of the mini-stroke I suffered a year and a half ago.

I'm going to schedule an endarterectomy in which my surgeon will open the carotid artery and remove the plaque. This is a highly successful operation and should result in zero blockage in my left carotid artery. Thankfully the CT Scan revealed just very minor blockage in the right carotid artery. I will be in the hospital for two or three days and will require several weeks of recovery at home.

Kim and I will be meeting with my surgeon on Tuesday morning to schedule the surgery and have our questions answered. I'll update here afterwards.

I want to thank everyone in advance for well wishes. They mean a great deal to me and my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    As many know, I suffered a mini-stroke a year and a half ago and a minor heart attack this January. I've been recovering well, but a recent CT Scan revealed a 76% blockage in my left carotid artery, the initial blockage there being the cause of the mini-stroke I suffered a year and a half ago.

I'm going to schedule an endarterectomy in which my surgeon will open the carotid artery and remove the plaque. This is a highly successful operation and should result in zero blockage in my left carotid artery. Thankfully the CT Scan revealed just very minor blockage in the right carotid artery. I will be in the hospital for two or three days and will require several weeks of recovery at home.

Kim and I will be meeting with my surgeon on Tuesday morning to schedule the surgery and have our questions answered. I'll update here afterwards.

I want to thank everyone in advance for well wishes. They mean a great deal to me and my family.
    Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Here’s to a speedy recovery!

Jesus. Good luck with all that, man.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    I'll be thinking of you and hope all goes well.
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I hope everything goes well for you and come back a new man!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Good luck, Jack!

All the best Jack we’re thinking of you!

I don't 'terrify', but thanks anyway.

I'm given to understand that unless one is a crackhead or is morbidly obese, neither of which I am, the success rate is 99%.
    I'm sure I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm so sorry Jack, having been in and out of surgery myself for the last two years, I know how terrifying that can be. Best Wishes!

Many thanks to everyone for well-wishes.

Jack, speedy recovery on that. You have the power.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Good luck, Jack! I hope everything goes really, really well.

I hope you’re fully healed in time to enjoy Father’s Day with your family.

Thanks again to everyone.

I'm told I'll come out of this with the carotid artery of a twenty-year old I'm not quite sure how to process that...

I'm told I'll come out of this with the carotid artery of a twenty-year old I'm not quite sure how to process that...
    Bit unfortunate for the twenty-year old in question....

Hope all goes well, best wishes!
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

Best of luck to you Jack!

We're pulling for you.

Thanks, dorrmann.

My research is indicating that the much less invasive Carotid Artery Stenting is now considered at the same low risk as the more invasive Endarterectomy surgery, so I'm hoping my medical team decides to go with that. I'll know more after our appointment tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Best of luck to you Jack!

We're pulling for you.
    - - - Updated - - -

Lol! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    Bit unfortunate for the twenty-year old in question....

Hope all goes well, best wishes!

If it helps at all, I've personally taken care of many post-op Carotid endarterectomies in the Cardiac ICU and it's a routine, common surgery with minimal risk.

You should do great and be ready to go home in a few days.

Good luck.

Thanks, Thrawn.

It used to be believe that Carotid Artery Stenting surgery carried more risk than more invasive Endarterectomies, but numerous recent studies show they now both have nearly the same risk, although Stenting still has a higher risk of stroke while on the operating table.

A new procedure called Transcarotid Artery Revascularization now makes a small incision in the neck for direct stent placement while leading a tube outside the body, down to the femoral artery and redirects the blood during the placement of the stent. This reduces the stroke risk because it's no longer necessary to go in through the groin and navigate the aortic arch to get to the carotid. But it is a new procedure and I'm not sure my surgical team performs it. I'll find out in the morning.

As you say, both stunning and endarterectomy are routine surgeries but, minimal risk or not, there's always risk, especially for someone who has already suffered a mini-stroke and a minor heart attack, so I'll hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    If it helps at all, I've personally taken care of many post-op Carotid endarterectomies in the Cardiac ICU and it's a routine, common surgery with minimal risk.

You should do great and be ready to go home in a few days.

Good luck.
    - - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

We just returned from the appointment with my vascular surgeon and it appears that the recent CT Scan overstated the blockage in my carotid artery. I'm going to have a follow-up ultrasound test next week to confirm this, but at this point it appears no surgery will be necessary and, according to my vascular surgeon, I'm "good for another hundred thousand miles." (WHEW!)

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. They seem to have worked.

My doctor directed me to read this study indicating the overestimation of carotid blockage by CT scans:

The area stenosis CTA calculations of carotid artery stenosis dramatically overestimated the degree of carotid stenosis compared with that calculated using the NASCET method. Given that stroke risk estimates have been determined from trials that used the NASCET method, the area stenosis method likely overestimates the risk of stroke. Therefore, area stenosis calculations could lead to unnecessary carotid revascularization procedures. This model highlights the need for standardized usage of the NASCET method when using CTA as the imaging modality to determine the threshold for carotid revascularization.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 15, 2021 at 11:55am.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I'm glad that you were able to get the surgery averted.

I hope that your arteries continue to do well.

T
    UPDATE:

We just returned from the appointment with my vascular surgeon and it appears that the recent CT Scan overstated the blockage in my carotid artery. I'm going to have a follow-up ultrasound test next week to confirm this, but at this point it appears no surgery will be necessary and, according to my vascular surgeon, I'm "good for another hundred thousand miles." (WHEW!)
    Great news! I guess you an go back to those deep fried, bacon-wrapped, pork chops every night for supper.

Actually, I'm glad I can go back to pounding out 350 push-ups and 350 stair declines a day. Not too shabby for a 72 year old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Great news! I guess you an go back to those deep fried, bacon-wrapped, pork chops every night for supper.

Actually, I'm glad I can go back to pounding out 350 push-ups and 350 stair declines a day. Not too shabby for a 72 year old guy.
    That's 350 of both more than me.

Happy to hear the doctor’s consult turned out so well. I should try to do 350 push ups. It’d equate to something like one push up per pound I’ve gained in quarantine.

It's okay, my good friend. I'm figuring you've got thirty or forty years to work up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    That's 350 of both more than me.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much, Stinkor. What a relief to get that news today! I can tell you I'll sleep like a baby tonight! My heart is truly touched by all the support I had from orgers.

With regard to my workout regimen, I confess that I split it into two workouts, about two hours apart, each being 175 push-ups and 175 stair declines. 14 gummy bears followed by Whey Isolate protein powder is a big part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    Happy to hear the doctor’s consult turned out so well. I should try to do 350 push ups. It’d equate to something like one push up per pound I’ve gained in quarantine.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 16, 2021 at 12:53am.

Best of luck, wishes and prayers. Jack. Hope you didn't get angry over my PM.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I never get angry about PMs. Everyone has a right to their positions and opinions and I'm delighted to have interactions with fans in whatever form it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Best of luck, wishes and prayers. Jack. Hope you didn't get angry over my PM.
    - - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

Continuing good news from my cardiovascular surgeons, who today informed me everything looks good. Ultrasound testing on the 28th and consultation with my neurologist will be final confirmation that I don't need carotid artery surgery because the blockage is less than first estimated, and that will be a real relief.

Today I was told I now need to add in three days each week of half-hour sessions on the treadmill Kim got me for Valentine's Day, in addition to three days a week of 350 push-ups and 350 stair declines on each day. My docs feel doing six straight days a week of the push-ups and declines every week is too much on these seventy-two year old joints, so from now on I'll be alternating with the treadmill.

All's good. On to Father's Day! I confess there were times this last year and a half that I wasn't sure I'd be around for this one, but all looks great now. As my vascular surgeon said earlier in the week, I'm "good for another hundred thousand miles."
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 18, 2021 at 04:53pm.