Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Surgery for me

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    UPDATE: Four days after surgery and I'm feeling amazing, with zero pain.

The only issue is that the swelling at my incision site doesn't seem to be getting smaller. As I understand it, this is fairly normal after this kind of surgery. On the other hand, pooling of blood in the wound and clotting by the site is a potentially serious complication. I'd hate to have to drive all the way back to Chicago just to have it examined, but as a former USAF search-and-rescue medic, I know the four most dangerous words in medicine are "Maybe it'll go away."

So I'll keep a close eye on it for the rest of the week and if it's not starting to reduce by Friday I'll have Kim take me into Chicago. Kim says I'm expecting too much too soon and that I should be grateful for being able to be back at my computer and in the saddle work wise. She's right, of course. I tend to be impatient when it comes to these kinds of matters.

My docs tell me I'm doing the right thing, but I'd appreciate hearing from Thrawn, whose opinion I also respect and value.
    I went back and looked at your picture again. As long as the swelling isn't growing (it shouldn't be post-op at this point), you should notice a difference within the next few days I think.

The swelling/edema immediately post op is the body's normal healing response, as you're already aware.

Since it is your neck, if you experience any shortness of breath related to the swelling I'd seek medical attention.

As this point I think its fine based on what you've told us.

And keep in mind, regardless of how fit you are, you still had major surgery. The body does need time to fully recover.

Master of New Adventures!
    Thanks, Thrawn. No difficulty breathing. Actually, quite the opposite as I can breathe deeply all the time and with no conscious effort -- very different from before surgery.

Agreed. I think it's normal post-op swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I went back and looked at your picture again. As long as the swelling isn't growing (it shouldn't be post-op at this point), you should notice a difference within the next few days I think.

The swelling/edema immediately post op is the body's normal healing response, as you're already aware.

Since it is your neck, if you experience any shortness of breath related to the swelling I'd seek medical attention.

As this point I think its fine based on what you've told us.

Heroic Warrior
    Hope you're well rested. Lots of love from here to Eternia (or Primus)

I'd be freaking out. Good luck with that, man. I couldn't deal.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Thanks for that Rikki and Cam. I think it helps that I've got a lot of medical knowledge from my time as a USAF search-and-rescue medic. I also do a lot of research.

I had a feeling it was normal swelling, but because excess hematoma and blood pooling can be a potentially fatal complication, in this case I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

Kim and I just returned from Northwestern Hospital in Chicago, where Dr. Eskandari, my surgeon and their Chief of Vascular Surgery, indicated that what I've got is, as Thrawn posted, normal healing. (Sincere thanks to Thrawn for that!) I confess I'm relieved.

I brought a bunch of New Adventures and Power Rangers mini-posters to sign for his office nursing staff, having previously given some out to his surgical team. I'm so grateful to them for almost immediately getting back to me on MyChart and always being there for me when I have a question. I'm fortunate, indeed, to have such a medical team of top and empathetic professionals.

Countdown is on now -- just two and a half weeks until I can start doing 175 push-ups and 175 stair declines a day, gradually working up to my prior 350 a day of each. In the meantime I'm hitting the treadmill, saying lots of prayers of gratitude and strategizing for my next twenty-five years.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

For the many orgers who were gracious, thoughtful and compassionate enough to send me PMs with well-wishes, concerns and prayers about my recovery, as well as those who have posted in this thread, I'll address you all by saying I'm doing very well. The incision site is still swollen and much of my neck and jaw remains numb, but the swelling is getting smaller and the discoloration is fading. I'm on my treadmill thirty minutes a day now and am looking forward to resuming my push-ups in two and half weeks, starting out at 175 a day and gradually working up to my previous 350.

I have a number of follow-up appointments with my medical team -- my cardiologist, vascular surgeon and neurologist -- for testing (ultrasounds, etc.) and consultations. But for now everything is well and I'm looking forward to a full recovery.

Again, heartfelt thanks from me and my family for everyone's concern and support.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 27, 2021 at 04:36pm.

I'm pretty late to the party, so I'l just say I'm glad the swelling dosn't seem to be anything serious and hope your recovery goes well.

Thank you so much. As I've said, the support of so many on he-man.org has been a continuing source of strength and solace for me and my family during a difficult and challenging time.

I'm glad Kim and I drove in to Chicago last week to have Northwestern Hospital's Chief of Vascular Surgery, who performed the operation, take a look at the swelling. I know a lot about medicine, but when it's one's own neck it's a little different. I was relieved to hear him tell me it was normal swelling and, as I've said, it's gone down quite a lot since then.

Again, thank you for your words and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I'm pretty late to the party, so I'l just say I'm glad the swelling dosn't seem to be anything serious and hope your recovery goes well.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 3, 2021 at 02:56pm.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Thank you so much. As I've said, the support of so many on he-man.org has been a continuing source of strength and solace for me and my family during a difficult and challenging time.

I'm glad Kim and I drove in to Chicago last week to have Northwestern Hospital's Chief of Vascular Surgery, who performed the operation, take a look at the swelling. I know a lot about medicine, but when it's one's own neck it's a little different. I was relieved to hear him tell me it was normal swelling and, as I've said, it's gone down quite a lot since then.

Again, thank you for your words and thoughts.
    I'm pleased that the swelling is normal and has been going down - definitely a good idea to have spoken to the doctor

Thanks, Darth. And again, thanks for all the support. Your PMs are appreciated and I've shared them with Kim. She correctly says I'm fortunate to have such good friends at he-man.org.

I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to thank Val for all that he does for he-man.org. Without him, he-man.org wouldn't be here and I and my family wouldn't have this support. That kind of support when any of us has problems is, imo, the best that he-man.org has to offer. I -- and many of us, owe Val a debt that can never be repaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I'm pleased that the swelling is normal and has been going down - definitely a good idea to have spoken to the doctor

Good to hear you're doing better.

Thank you, Durendal.

Still a little fatigued every now and then, which I understand is normal as major surgery takes a toll. Frustrating to have to take a nap for an hour or two each day. When I told Kim I feel like it's a sign of weakness, she said, "It is. You're weak after the surgery." Go marry an Irish gal...

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Good to hear you're doing better.

Co-Creator of the NV
    When I told Kim I feel like it's a sign of weakness, she said, "It is. You're weak after the surgery."
    Reading this just reminds me of how women can have a natural degree of wisdom that often seems to be totally lost on us men.

Not to mention a clever Irish sense of humor and mischief...

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! What a difference a week can make! Zero fatigue now, no more naps. I can't wait to knock out 175 push-ups and 175 stair declines on this Friday! It'll take me three months to get back to 350 daily for each, but at least this is a start...

- - - Updated - - -

Today is truly wonderful day in my life. Just three weeks and one day after my carotid artery endarterectomy surgery and, with my surgeons blessing, at seventy-two years old I'm back to doing 175 push-ups and 175 stair declines a day. It's surely not the 350 each a day that I used to do, but I'll work up to it. I'm straining at the bit to get back to where I once was, but both Kim and Dr. Eskandari, Chief of Vascular Surgery at Northwestern Hospital, tell me I have to take it slow, so I grudgingly will.

I'd be remiss indeed if I didn't say once more how very much the support and compassion of so many orgers was a source of strength and inspiration to me and my family during my mini-stroke, minor heart attack and carotid artery surgery this last year and a half. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you again.

Onward!

"Aging is for those who don't know any better."

Tony Horton, P90X
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 9, 2021 at 06:49pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm back to doing 175 push-ups and 175 stair declines a day.
    A Rocky training montage in waiting for anyone with a handheld

So I guess it's time to wrap up this thread now. I'll say I'm feeling amazing, swelling is almost all gone, I'm back to doing 175 push-ups and 175 stair declines, increasing by 35 of each as each new week goes by.

I'm fortunate that the state of the art of medicine is where it's at. A hundred years ago an 80% carotid artery blockage probably would have been a death sentence. Now it's a day in the hospital, a couple weeks of recovery and bouncing back.

I'll end by saying, once more, thanks too all who offered well wishes and prayers by posting in this thread and sending PMs. It meant the world to our family.

Best,

Jack

So I guess it's time to wrap up this thread now. I'll say I'm feeling amazing, swelling is almost all gone, I'm back to doing 175 push-ups and 175 stair declines, increasing by 35 of each as each new week goes by.

I'm fortunate that the state of the art of medicine is where it's at. A hundred years ago an 80% carotid artery blockage probably would have been a death sentence. Now it's a day in the hospital, a couple weeks of recovery and bouncing back.

I'll end by saying, once more, thanks too all who offered well wishes and prayers by posting in this thread and sending PMs. It meant the world to our family.

Best,

Jack
    175 push-ups!?? Man, you are beast!

Very glad to hear that you have recovered quite well. The best for you and your loved ones
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Thank you, Rhanen. Up until my endarterectomy I was doing 350 push-ups and 350 stair declines a day. It will take me two or three months to work back up to that, but both Kim and my medical team tell me not to push it.

That said, I'm delighted to be back to working out. I kind of know how a shark feels: "Ya either swim or ya sink to the bottom of the ocean."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    175 push-ups!?? Man, you are beast!

Very glad to hear that you have recovered quite well. The best for you and your loved ones