Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surgery for me

Master of New Adventures!
    Thanks, Dave. You're right. I do...

My wife often correctly says she married a warrior. No little clump of plaque is going to get the best of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQ8byG2mY8

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Get well soon jack ! We've never met or spoken but as a big NA fan ( not as a kid but definitely as an adult) ,by the power of the good and the way of the magic , you got this !

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    - - - Updated - - -

COUNTDOWN UPDATE:

Kim and I drive to Chicago to Northwestern Hospital on Tuesday to meet with my anesthesiologist and to also take my pro-op COVID-19 test. My endarterectomy surgery is now scheduled for Thursday morning. We drive to Chicago the night before and I go into surgery at 8:00 A.M. Two hours in surgery, then recovery at the hospital for a day and lots of follow-up tests. Hopefully I'm home by Friday. Then two weeks recovery but golf and resistance training are out for a month.

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's well wishes, prayers, posts and all the PMs.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 18, 2021 at 01:35pm.

May your surgeon's hand be steady and your recovery swift.

SURGERY UPDATE:

Kim and I drove to Northwestern Hospital in Chicago this morning for me to meet with my anesthesiologist and his staff. All went very well with everything fully explained to Kim and me. I was pleased to see that my blood pressure is down to 112/65 and my oxygenation is at 98%. Not bad for a 72 year old guy.

I'll start seeing Care Bears shortly before I go into surgery on Thursday morning and then I'm out for about two hours under the general. When I come to, the endarterectomy will be completed and my Irish Angel will be in my hospital suite to greet me. She's already arranged to have Duettino-Sull'aria from Le Nozze di Figaro gently playing on the suite's sound system for my awakening. Very nice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ8ZHilxdm8

A bit of discomfort for the rest of the day and some outgoing tests the next morning. We should be heading home by Friday afternoon.

Many thanks for all the good wishes, prayers and PMs.

Best,

Jack

Co-Creator of the NV
    Good luck.. and Care Bears? Like, will that actually be played, or will you be in some sort of medication that makes you see them?

It's enough I've got Kim playing Duettino-Sull'ari in my suite. Setting up a Care Bears episode is asking for a bit much.

"Seeing Care Bears" was a reference to what the effects will be from the real good stuff to put me under.

I'm in very high spirits going in to get sliced and diced. Eager for a quick and full recovery and then on to the next twenty-five years of marriage to Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Good luck.. and Care Bears? Like, will that actually be played, or will you be in some sort of medication that makes you see them?

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It's enough I've got Kim playing Duettino-Sull'ari in my suite. Setting up a Care Bears episode is asking for a bit much.

"Seeing Care Bears" was a reference to what the effects will be from the real good stuff to put me under.

I'm in very high spirits going in to get sliced and diced. Eager for a quick and full recovery and then on to the next twenty-five years of marriage to Kim.
    Tell you what, you can take a few of my years too - I don't know how many I've got, but it's probably more than I'm inclined to put up with and in inclined to share

That's one of the nicest offers I've ever had. Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Tell you what, you can take a few of my years too - I don't know how many I've got, but it's probably more than I'm inclined to put up with and in inclined to share
    - - - Updated - - -

So tomorrow morning is my surgery. Everything looks great, with my BP currently at 112/65 and I'm 98% oxygenated.

One downside: I sent a MyChart query to my surgical team this morning asking if I am allowed to put hair gel and hairspray on my hair after showering at the hotel in the morning. I was told I can't put any product in my hair. Sigh... It means I just have to let it dry and hope for the best.

I'm sure they don't quite get my concern about this. It reminds me of the scene in Rocky when Apollo Creed is walking into the ring and fluffing his hair before the big fight. Personally, I get where Apollo was coming from. Ya just wanna look good:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9b6f234...2-556b370d92c6

Oh well. As Popeye famously said, "I yams what I yams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    One downside: I sent a MyChart query to my surgical team this morning asking if I am allowed to put hair gel and hairspray on my hair after showering at the hotel in the morning. I was told I can't put any product in my hair. Sigh... It means I just have to let it dry and hope for the best.

I'm sure they don't quite get my concern about this. It reminds me of the scene in Rocky when Apollo Creed is walking into the ring and fluffing his hair before the big fight. Personally, I get where Apollo was coming from. Ya just wanna look good:
    Typical patient.

I hope Jack’s surgery went well and that he was able to successfully flirt with his nurses despite the unfortunate hair issues.

Thanks Stinkor and Thrawn. At the last minute my doctors acquiesced and said a bit of hair gel was okay. And yes, Stinkor, I did flirt with the nurses. Kim was kin d enough to remember to bring Power Rangers, Care Bears and NA mini-posters, so I hosted an autograph party in my hospital room post-recovery, early toward.

My endarterectomy surgery yesterday morning was simply amazing and we returned home this afternoon. Northwestern Hospital is as close to heaven-run-efficiently-and-compassionately as a hospital can get. Chief of Vascular Surgery Mark Eskandiary was incredible. I was in surgery for two and a half hours and the surgery was, in his words, "a 100% success." I had a nearly eighty percent blockage of the left carotid artery. All plaque was completely removed and I now have 100% blood flow to my brain, the result bring that I feel like a completely renewed and invigorated person.

I do have a very nasty eight-inch scar from the incision and some swelling around my neck. The swelling will be down in 48 hours and in two or three months the scar will be reduced to a thin line that will barely be noticeable. For now the scar is a fun conversation piece for me to use when people glance at it and I can say, "You oughta see the other guy!"

I had mild discomfort after the anesthetic wore off, but then a great night of sleep at the hospital. I awoke somewhat weak but completely transformed. I will confess that this last year and half I felt as if I had some brain fog and had lost a half a step, working a bit to express myself verbally, although my writing never suffered. And there was a lot of muscle and back pain. By noon it was as if I had come out of a long tunnel -- completely clear and focused, all brain fog from my previous mini-stroke and carotid blockage gone...and in incredibly positive spirits, zero muscle or back aches, doing laps in the hospital hallways. My blood pressure was down to 112/65 just twenty four hours after surgery, something all the doctors were impressed by. Dr. Eskandari took me off blood thinners, telling me, with a smile, "You don't need them anymore because you have 100% blood flow to your brain." He explained that the feeling I was experiencing after the surgery is not a placebo but that he sees this in about ten percent of endarterectomy patients and that it's a combination of great genes and my keeping my body in -- aside from my previous cholesterol and stress issues -- great shape.

My toughest challenge is going to be taking it slow in getting back to my physical regimen. Although I can start off with cardio immediately, the surgical team wants me to wait two weeks until I resume half of my 350 push-ups and 350 stair declines a day, five days a week and then gradually work up over a period of two or three months. Regrettably, because there is so much twisting of the neck involved, golf is out for me for at least a month. (There are worse tragedies.) Counterbalancing it is that Kim and I are cleared to use our Jacuzzi in the backyard tonight!

Best of all, I'm in the company once more of my wife, our children, our Yorkie and my turtles. Heartening is that Kim took me on a tour of our home to show me the veritable flower shop our Four Seasons Room and my home office has turned into, confessing that she let a number of our friends and my business associates know what was going on.

I'm going to rest this evening and tomorrow I'll jump right back into editing a series bible for a new show I'm working on, my mind and body filled with a new clarity, crystal clear focus and strength growing by daily leaps and bounds.

It just amazes me that I've added twenty-five years to my life because of the state-of-the-art of medicine and the skills of my surgical team at one of America's Top Ten Hospitals.

Again, thanks to one and all for the well-wishes, prayers and PMs. All's well that ends well.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 23, 2021 at 05:58pm.

You're a bloody inspiration you are jack , the way you're going through all you're going through and still laughing in the face of adversity . Stay safe and stay strong mate , the world needs a few more like you

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

Co-Creator of the NV
    Glad that you're out of the OR and doing well.

Glad to hear it turned out so well!

Thank you so much, davelove. I have to admit Kim is right when she says "I married a warrior" and, to quote Will Rogers, "It ain't braggin' if it's true."

Part of it comes from having had parents who suffered through terrible poverty during The Great Depression, living in the back of their tiny clothing store in an even tinier apartment with so many rats visiting at night; parents who brought themselves up by their own bootstraps, never moaning and groaning about the tough hand they'd been deal, because they were too busy working, and eventually, through a relentless work ethic, became the owners of eight successful clothing stores in Chicago.

Seeing my mother endure decades of on and off breast cancer, never feeling sorry for herself or wallowing in self-pity, showed me what character is about.

I've got too many amazing things to still enjoy in life to waste time over my maladies and challenges. I much prefer to meet the beasts in my life head on, slay them or go out giving my best to better them. Either way, I'll go through whatever twists and turns life throws at me, trying to learn from my mistakes, grateful to life for throwing those twists and turns at me, knowing that they build strength.

Why cry and end up with tears in your beer, when you can instead get on with the business of life and live it the best way that you are able? Seems to make more sense to me...

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    You're a bloody inspiration you are jack , the way you're going through all you're going through and still laughing in the face of adversity . Stay safe and stay strong mate , the world needs a few more like you

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks Darth. Thanks Amentep. Meant a lot to me that so many were pulling for this old dog.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 23, 2021 at 07:30pm.

Very good. I'm quite pleased and relieved to hear you did well, suffered no complications, are in good spirits, and back home surrounded by family and loved one.

Hopefully you have many more good times ahead of you.

Thank you, Thrawn. You and everyone else have touched my heart.

Thank you as well for being so generous with your time to answer my medical queries in this thread and in PMs. Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Very good. I'm quite pleased and relieved to hear you did well, suffered no complications, are in good spirits, and back home surrounded by family and loved one.

Hopefully you have many more good times ahead of you.
    - - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

Woke this morning with zero pain. The incision site is a little number but zero pain.

More focused and crystal clear than I've ever felt in my life. And I can't believe how the muscle and joint pain has COMPLETELY left my knees, fingers, shoulder and back now that I've got 100% blood flow with no blockage in my left carotid artery. I feel like I did when I was 22 years old getting lowered out of a search-and-rescue helicopter in the Air Force.
    It's a complete 180 for me. I'm in heaven!

And I'd be remiss, indeed, if I didn't say how much Kim and I appreciate all the support, well-wishes and prayers we got from orgers. We read them over and over during the lead up to my surgery and they were always a source of strength for us. Thanks to everyone. It's something we'll never forget...

- - - Updated - - -

With regard to the theory that it's not real unless there are pics, here ya go:

IMG_1147.jpg

Not sure why I can't get it to go right side up, but maybe a mod can help.

I can tell I've been a nurse way too long. The first thing I noticed was the chair alarm on the wall.

Nice looking incision, very clean - looks like derma bond.

And then the hair. Looking like Beastman.

You should see me on a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I can tell I've been a nurse way too long. The first thing I noticed was the chair alarm on the wall.

Nice looking incision, very clean - looks like derma bond.

And then the hair. Looking like Beastman.

Glad to hear it went well, you'd have to pay ME to let someone come near my neck with something sharp even if they're trying to save my life. I got a real problem with that stuff.

Good luck with the recovery.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Thanks, Rikki. I didn't have choice when it came to the surgery. Believe me, with an 80% left carotid artery blockage, the endarterectomy surgery literally saved my life. With every passing with that level of blockage, my chance of a major stroke would have increased by 20% -- a one hundred percent increase of a major stroke in five years.

Today I'm clear, focused, totally pain free and looking at another full, quality 25 years of fine living. The scar looks much worse than it is. I'm in absolutely no pain from the surgery and the scar will almost completely fade in six months -- imo a small price to pay for all I have gained.

I was blessed to have the surgery performed by the Chief of Vascular Surgery at one of America's top ten hospitals. The skill of the vascular surgeon is a major factor in the success and the lack of complications in a surgery that is ordinarily 98% successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Glad to hear it went well, you'd have to pay ME to let someone come near my neck with something sharp even if they're trying to save my life. I got a real problem with that stuff.

Good luck with the recovery.

That's awesome! I'd still beg 'em to find a way to go through my face instead.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Sorry, Rikki, but they gotta cut where the blockage is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    That's awesome! I'd still beg 'em to find a way to go through my face instead.

I've been told that the "blockage" MUST be in my head, but to be fair I think the people who told me that had ulterior motives. Namely, my wife.

UPDATE: Four days after surgery and I'm feeling amazing, with zero pain.

The only issue is that the swelling at my incision site doesn't seem to be getting smaller. As I understand it, this is fairly normal after this kind of surgery. On the other hand, pooling of blood in the wound and clotting by the site is a potentially serious complication. I'd hate to have to drive all the way back to Chicago just to have it examined, but as a former USAF search-and-rescue medic, I know the four most dangerous words in medicine are "Maybe it'll go away."

So I'll keep a close eye on it for the rest of the week and if it's not starting to reduce by Friday I'll have Kim take me into Chicago. Kim says I'm expecting too much too soon and that I should be grateful for being able to be back at my computer and in the saddle work wise. She's right, of course. I tend to be impatient when it comes to these kinds of matters.

My docs tell me I'm doing the right thing, but I'd appreciate hearing from Thrawn, whose opinion I also respect and value.

Glad you're at least feeling well
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."