Thread: My Custom Action Figures

My Custom Action Figures

Sometimes I do custom action figures, primarily wrestling figures so far. A lot of times I just do simple repaints but slowly I've been doing some things that are a bit more involved. I'm no expert by any means, but over the past year I've had a lot of time to practice. I've got several figures in various stages but only a few close to finished. I had some shirts and jackets on order from a figure clothing company overseas, and the pandemic delayed the delivery by over a year, but they finally got here so that's going to push me to finish some more things soon.

Anyways, one that I have more or less finished is this Jakks WWE "Ruthless Aggression/Classic Superstars" RAVEN:

Raven1.jpg
    Raven2.jpg
    Raven3.jpg
    Raven4.jpg
    Raven5.jpg

The impetus for this custom was quite simple: Jakks only made ONE Raven figure while he was in the WWF, and while it was pretty good, it was in the "TitanTron Live" Scale, which lacked articulation and were smaller than the RA/Classic Superstars figures. They later made a "TNA Legends" Raven around 2008 or so, but it was a little big for the line, scale-wise, and since it was based on his TNA appearance he had braided hair rather than his "classic" ECW/WCW appearance. I'm a huge Raven fan, and I wanted a more basic Raven figure that scaled a bit better with the other RA/Classic Superstars guys.

The "recipe" was pretty easy, just a 2003-era Triple H head on a RA Jamie Noble body. I'd originally hoped to just use the Raven head from the TTL figure, but turns out the TTL and RA figures have a totally different neck peg situation going on, so that was out. Out of all the RA-scale heads I looked at, the "angry frown" Triple H head was the closest match for Raven. It's not perfect, but with some paint touch-ups it can pass, especially if he's looking down. The hair's a bit less curly than I'd like, but sometimes it was more straight and wavy than curly and tangled so it's technically still accurate. I repainted the hair with a mix of dark and light brown, with gold highlights, and then gave him Raven's "chin beard". Again, not perfect, but close enough if you squint.

I didn't have to do much for the lower body. They didn't bother painting the "ripped" parts of the jean shorts, so I went ahead and did that with some flesh tone to fill the "holes" and white for the frayed areas. The calves were solid black, so I painted over them with flesh tone as well.

The upper body was a lot of paint work; I knew I'd be getting the shirt but I wanted him to have all of his tattoos, anyway. So I painstakingly hand-painted all of his tattoos using various photos for reference; I couldn't get the "Rust Never Sleeps" lettering to come out clear enough on his right arm, so again I went for "close enough if you squint". He's got some scar tissue on that arm, so I very lightly scratched some of the paint off after the tattoo was done. I added some extra "tape" going midway up his forearm using Apoxie Sculpt, then painted it white. The Sandman shirt is the thing that ties it all together, though.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. There's a chance I might one day find an even better head, I guess, but otherwise I think it's pretty good. I got a leather jacket, too, but it's a bit too tight and I didn't feel like messing with it right now. If I manage to get it on I'll take more pictures. And I think I found a flannel shirt for him to wear around his waist, so again, if that works I'll take more pictures.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I may not be a fan of wrestling action figures but I really appreciate your creation, Rikki Roxx.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have more stuff to share soon. I've mostly just been repainting old WWF LJNs lately because I have very little patience for dealing with the paint rub issues around the joints that I have to deal with when I work on figures with articulation. But I do have some other things I've been working on. I work sporadically and just jump in whenever I feel inspired, so there's no timetable for anything getting finished. I'm weird like that.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

UPDATE: Found a flannel waist-shirt from an older Raven figure and added it to this one. Looks much better now.
    RavenUpdate1.jpg
    RavenUpdate2.jpg

I've seen some pretty good head solutions to get a better resemblance, but they all involve cutting the hair off of one figure and transplanting it onto another, and that's just more work than I can be bothered with right now. Maybe eventually.

For a new segment on my YouTube Channel, I focus on repairing and restoring some older, beat-up figures. To start with, this short video shows a little bit of fun I had with an old, totally banged-up LJN Hulk Hogan figure that had nearly all its paint rubbed off and was originally covered in black marks and grime. We started filming AFTER I gave it a hot bath and a scrub with nail polish remover, but this thing was in absolutely terrible shape when I got it for five bucks at the flea market. To say I'm happy with the end result would be something of an understatement, for sure.

I'm just gonna post the link rather than embed the video, because I can't remember if I curse in this one or not and I'm too tired to watch it again and check. I usually do, so I'm just going to assume that I do and err on the side of caution.

Give it a look over, it's only like 5 minutes long for a change.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1MU2M3Hi0

Thanks for the Hogan video!

Glad you liked it brother!