View Poll Results: Should MOTU also have other characters as a main focus?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 82.50%
  • No

7 17.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Masters of the Universe expand beyond He-Man

Maybe they should promote the others more? Then use He-man as their Superman and use the heroic warriors more like the Justice League or Avengers. I can see a future where Stratos gets their own comic, movie or even show?
    Sign me plz! (petition for Dreamworks She-Ra toys)
    https://chng.it/fHKxh4N7Ck

SPOP 2018 & MOTU:Re 2021 timeline comparison:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...e-info-(enjoy)

A lot of great ideas!
    I definitely would love some others get the spotlight on some way.
    I *think* in the UK comic magazines, there would sometimes be an adventure that was not with He-Man, but just a few of the other Masters. I could be wrong. Wasn’t it sometimes a couple shorter stories within a mag?
    But I know they tried to use more than He-Man plus Teela plus Man-At-Arms for every adventure.
    They rotated more. Most comics did.

For me the Masters were always more of a team, so it would make sense that there would be also some missions that would not be with the big guy, but instead… Gwildor, Fisto and Sy-Clone!

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Zodac? I'd be up for that!

Also a series surrounding Granamyr before his pact with Grayskull would be something I'd be interested in too.
    I think that Granamyr could be a major player in a Prequel / Powers of Grayskull series...

He is one of my all-time favorite MOTU characters, and I'd love for him to get some more development and early history.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

You do not need He-Man or Skeletor in every series or comic. The success of MOTU was because it managed to create an interesting world with many interesting characters. Look at GI Joe, Transformers etc. Over the years they have done a great job of fleshing out a wide range of characters. I actually think seeing less of He-Man would make it feel even more special when he does appear.

I would love to see the MOTU franchise free from other non-related franchises such as the Thundercats, for instance.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by MarVell View Post
    You do not need He-Man or Skeletor in every series or comic. The success of MOTU was because it managed to create an interesting world with many interesting characters. Look at GI Joe, Transformers etc. Over the years they have done a great job of fleshing out a wide range of characters. I actually think seeing less of He-Man would make it feel even more special when he does appear.
    This is well-stated.

Just look at the Classics canon... there are several different "He-Men" who show up at different intervals throughout MOTU history.

What about those times in-between He-Men? Isn't this why we have other "Masters of the Universe?"... to defend the defenseless in the absence of a He-Man?

That ignores the fact that to 99% of people not on this forum, meaning the larger world in general, the franchise in their minds is called "He-Man", not "Masters of the Universe". MOTU toys are called "He-Man toys", MOTU Revelation was referred by most individuals and the media as "The New He-Man Cartoon", NOT "The New Masters of the Universe cartoon".

And lest we forget, Revelation's "official" legacy despite being a pretty good show is "an abysmal failure that ruined the franchise", ALL because He-Man was mostly a guest-star for the first half. Doesn't matter that the show was good, doesn't matter if people here like it (such as myself), and it doesn't even matter that He-Man had a strong physical presence in the second half (which pretty much nobody stuck around to watch after being so upset by the first half). It's simply a fact that 20 years from now people are STILL going to be calling the series a mistake and people will still be crying about "No He-Man in muh He-Man show." You don't need a crystal ball to foretell that, you just need open eyes and ears.

Given how we've seen very definitively that most people HATE it when He-Man isn't front-and-center of the franchise, I don't see how this question even needs to be asked. It's only technically the "Masters of the Universe" franchise, so citing that as "proof" that the franchise can or should evolve beyond He-Man, or relegate him to Special Appearance status, is rather pedantic. The number of people who call it "The He-Man franchise" vs. "The MOTU franchise" is like a million to one. We can't ignore these things, nor should we.

Which isn't to say that the other characters aren't also important or can't be given a showcase from time to time. One of the things I liked a lot about 200X was that they did scale He-Man back a little bit to give the supporting cast more to do. And oh, yeah, people whined about it then, too. "I don't need a whole episode about Sy-Klone or Mekaneck or whatever, why is He-Man only coming in at the end to punch someone?" But at least it was an attempt, and a fairly balanced one.

It's not that nobody likes the other characters; as has been said, the lore and characters are in fact a huge part of the appeal. But they're the garnish, not the steak. He-Man is what people pay to see, as it were. In wrestling parlance, "He-Man draws the house." Everyone else is "undercard fodder"; without them, there'd be no show, and their contributions are appreciated, but nobody is actually "buying tickets" to see them.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I believe all the characters are equally important, it would not be as much fun if we didn't have such a variety of characters to love. I would love to see more stories from the other characters' points of view.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

If you think Snout Spout is "equally as important" as He-Man in the grand scheme of things I definitely need an ounce or two of whatever you got over there.

Nothing against ol' Snout Spout, I'm just saying. To posit that all the characters are EQUALLY important or even equally interesting, is... well, it's a take, I guess.

I mean, I guess a few people would buy a Sir Lazer-Lot comic book or watch a TV series about him. Like 6 people, maybe, in the entire Milky Way Galaxy. I don't doubt that they exist or that their feelings are sincere. But I also don't think they should ever be able to dictate terms to the much, much, much, much, much larger and louder majority, is all.

To be clear, I am glad that the MOTU universe has such a vast and expansive lore with so many rich characters. That's a great thing.

I just strongly reject the idea that by and large, there's a lot of people who would still care about the franchise if He-Man were scaled back to "occasional guest star" status. He's the main reason the vast majority of people ever gave this brand the time of day, it's just plain silly to pretend that isn't true. It's the entire reason most people just call it "The He-Man franchise" and not "MOTU"; their strongest emotional investment starts and (mostly) ends with him.

Compare it to how when Hulk Hogan left the WWF in 1992, and all of a sudden wrestling wasn't popular anymore for a long time. That's because 99% of the people who watched the WWF in the 80s and early 90s were not "wrestling fans", they were Hulk Hogan fans. Over 30 million people watched him wrestle on NBC in 1988; 10 years later, if there were 3 million people still watching wrestling that was considered "good". People didn't actually care about or like wrestling, they liked the Hulk Hogan character. People like Andy Warhol and Danny DeVito weren't buying tickets to WWF shows to "go see a WWF show", they would say - on camera - "I'm here to see Hulk Hogan, I like his act." When he left, nobody cared about wrestling anymore, and for the most part people still don't. That's just reality. It's how these things go.

I just think when people tell you outright why they like what they like, instead of trying to refute it a person or company should just listen first and then just give them more of what they're asking for. It's not really all that complicated, nah'mean? In this case, if people are saying "I just want He-Man, and if He-Man is removed or even scaled back, I won't watch/buy"... must we force the issue of "Maybe it's better we do scale back He-Man?" Seems very counterproductive, especially in light of recent events.

But I mean, I don't have a sociology degree, I just observe and report.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; October 3, 2022 at 02:18am.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    There have been MOTU stories without He-Man before. The Icons of Evil comic series from 2003 is a great example.

Yes, He-Man should be the core focus (or at least a wielder of the Power of Grayskull, whether He-Man or someone else), but that doesn't mean there can't be other stories that focus elsewhere. I don't think you can sustain it for a TV series or a toyline, but for comics or individual episodes of a TV series, I think it could work well.

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    And lest we forget, Revelation's "official" legacy despite being a pretty good show is "an abysmal failure that ruined the franchise", ALL because He-Man was mostly a guest-star for the first half. Doesn't matter that the show was good, doesn't matter if people here like it (such as myself), and it doesn't even matter that He-Man had a strong physical presence in the second half (which pretty much nobody stuck around to watch after being so upset by the first half). It's simply a fact that 20 years from now people are STILL going to be calling the series a mistake and people will still be crying about "No He-Man in muh He-Man show." You don't need a crystal ball to foretell that, you just need open eyes and ears.
    I actually unequivocally disagree with this, which is great, differing opinions make the world go round. One of the many reasons I feel this way is I believe 20 years from now, I think Revelation will likely *be* looked at in a larger context, in a prism of what seems to be leaning towards a trilogy of Revelation, Revolution, and fill-in-the-blank sequel series, where it at least seems He-Man will no longer be a deceased participant. But I digress, time will tell, but I wouldn't necessarily declare your opinion what's going to be said about Revelation in 20 years as a fact, but rather just how you feel. Remember, you did also instruct us that Revelation was a one-and-done and we should just accept it and make peace with it, and to think otherwise meant we were drunk on the proverbial Kool-aid.

*edited for grammar
    Last edited by Voodoo Magic; October 3, 2022 at 11:38am.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Official YouTube Channel
    News, Podcasts, Reviews, Unboxings and More

ForEternia.com
    News & Content on Masters of the Universe: Revelation, Revolution & More

- - - - -

I feel like this is a great oversimplification of why people disliked Revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    It's not that nobody likes the other characters; as has been said, the lore and characters are in fact a huge part of the appeal. But they're the garnish, not the steak. He-Man is what people pay to see, as it were. In wrestling parlance, "He-Man draws the house." Everyone else is "undercard fodder"; without them, there'd be no show, and their contributions are appreciated, but nobody is actually "buying tickets" to see them.
    So I'm gonna disagree here as I personally believe that the use of so many of the MOTU characters as "undercard fodder" is why the franchise suffers the way it does.

Characters like Spider-man, Batman, Superman...their stories are only as good as their villains. He-man basically being a "god" compared to the villains in the Filmation cartoon is what makes it so child friendly or "kiddie" if you will. It's hard to make a show more adult oriented when you treat your bad guys like bungling idiots. That was one of the biggest complaints from many of us that did not care for Revelation.

Us fans have a lot of different personal favorite characters. We get extremely excited about the release of almost ALL MOTU (if not ALL) figures because we like them. Many people here and on the larger Facebook fan pages I'm on have favorite character lists where He-man isn't even in the top 5.

My point is that I think the side characters ALL need to be leveled up. Good guys and bad. Why have a super powerful warrior fighting clowns? Why have good guys that can't win a fight on their own?

MOTU needs to be a war between two (three and four ) very capable and dangerous sets of warriors that each have their champions. Otherwise why bother?
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    So I'm gonna disagree here as I personally believe that the use of so many of the MOTU characters as "undercard fodder" is why the franchise suffers the way it does.

Characters like Spider-man, Batman, Superman...their stories are only as good as their villains. He-man basically being a "god" compared to the villains in the Filmation cartoon is what makes it so child friendly or "kiddie" if you will. It's hard to make a show more adult oriented when you treat your bad guys like bungling idiots. That was one of the biggest complaints from many of us that did not care for Revelation.

Us fans have a lot of different personal favorite characters. We get extremely excited about the release of almost ALL MOTU (if not ALL) figures because we like them. Many people here and on the larger Facebook fan pages I'm on have favorite character lists where He-man isn't even in the top 5.

My point is that I think the side characters ALL need to be leveled up. Good guys and bad. Why have a super powerful warrior fighting clowns? Why have good guys that can't win a fight on their own?

MOTU needs to be a war between two (three and four ) very capable and dangerous sets of warriors that each have their champions. Otherwise why bother?
    I agree. I'm mostly attracted to franchises that have a big and varied character casts here I am now, waiting for every last Stonedar, Gwildor, Rotar, Blast-Attak, Dragstor and Sssqueeze to get their toy in Origins more than for yet another He-Man figure. This is actually why I see minicomics as more proper main MOTU than Filmation show. Heck, people weren't just upset as He-Man's death. If fans didn't care about side-characters, then killing off Fisto and Clamp Champ wouldn't upset anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    - then killing off Fisto and Clamp Champ wouldn't upset anyone.
    (insert sounds of Binki screeching like a rabid monkey)

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I feel like this is a great oversimplification of why people disliked Revelation.
    Yes.

My fan rage and personal gripes aside, the side characters are interesting enough to develop; 200X and Icons of Evil took a step in the right direction, but only a step.

I liked Tri-Klops as a tragic figure and Kronis' rise and fall, though it felt like Beast man fell in line a little too easily (probably due to page constraints) and Mer-Man seemed too reckless and stupid to have ever had a kingdom under heel (probably the same reason). Those stories should each have been mini-series in their own rights.
    Last edited by binkibonsai; October 3, 2022 at 02:14pm.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

I think they should focus stories on other characters rather than just He-Man and Skeletor.
    As for Revelations I think the story would have worked better had it been a better cast of characters like Teela, Roboto, Fisto, Sy-Klone, Extendar, Man-E-Faces, Man-At-Arms, Zodac etc.
    Like Teela, Evil Lyn, Andra, Orko and Roboto weren't exactly the most exciting group of characters.

The idea that MOTU can only survive if He-Man is front and center is ludicrous.

People will "buy tickets" for a great story, regardless of who has the most "screen time."

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    There have been MOTU stories without He-Man before. The Icons of Evil comic series from 2003 is a great example.
    I agree. I was thinking the same thing about these origin stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Again, I agree.

Look at the Marvel/Sunbow G.I. Joe Movie... that is more of a Cobra Commander movie than anything else. Great villains are a huge draw to almost any narrative, without question.