Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Nostalgia Moment: Does Anyone Else Remember When the Original Figures Came Out?

  1. #1
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    11

    Nostalgia Moment: Does Anyone Else Remember When the Original Figures Came Out?

    As I’m browsing through the various tabs, I can remember waiting for my first She-Ra figure to come out at my local Woolworth’s. I was five, but the desperation was real! 😁

  2. #2
    The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,262
    I can remember the place purchased from and circumstances surrounding the acquisition of every single MOTU figure I own. I have a complete collection from my youth, so there are many stories.

    As for my very first exposure to the brand, that would have been December 1982, a few weeks before Christmas. My family and I were at the local mall and my mother had to stop at a JC Penny outlet to pick up an order which had just come in. While we were at the register waiting, I noticed there was a lone 8 back He-Man just laying on a box next to us. I remember considering it, attempting to puzzle out why this guy was called "He-Man." My mother asked if I wanted the figure, but I told her no; I thought it was stupid at the time. sigh For some months, that was the end of it.

    Then, in 1983, I caught my first episode of the new cartoon, "Like father, like daughter." Once the episode progressed to the transformation sequence, with that awesome theme, that was it. The very next Saturday we were off to Toys R Us in search of figures. We found a wall of Mer-Man and nothing else (back then, figures were offered in single character cases, so stores could order just what they needed if so desired. With the cartoon now on the scene, everything was sold out and retailers took what they could get.) So, Mer-Man was my first MOTU figure ever.

    A few days later my mother took me to Woolworth where we acquired Battle Cat; whom for a few days, had to suffer the indignity of being ridden by Mer-Man. Later in the same week, back to Toys R Us, but this time . . . a wall of Skeletor, and nothing else. Another one down, but still not He-Man.

    Then, the next week, my father brought home a He-Man after work. I found out my mother had been calling stores every day, and finally, after finding one, convinced them to hold the figure until my father could pick it up. I unfortunately do not know which store it was bought from. But, regardless, that night He-Man sat atop Battle Cat proper.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    518
    Sadly this completely passed by me and i was none the wiser .

    I never saw this cartoon as something aimed at girls . The bad guys owned the planet and were pretty scary . Yes there were a few more girls running around but I thought creators were just doing something different which i found kinda interesting . Even as a kid I found the concept of the bad guys already conquered Etheria and She Ra is just trying to take it back , Mind Boggling . HeMan being so easily taken down in SOTS pretty shocking .

    My mind came to the conclusion that It was Opposite Land so yes Eternia had more boys so Etheria has more girls .

    I was a little boy who loved watching She Ra and which i thought was a Masterstroke of Next Gen Motu . I never bothered to check out the girl section of the toy stores . The Evil Horde being part of MOTU toys probably did not help much . I assumed She Ra and her buddies would soon follow as MOTU toys in the boy section .

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Jayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    583
    She ra 1982?

  5. #5
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    11
    Scare Glow was referring to He-Man when he mentioned 1982.

    I love these stories! Simpler times when the world revolved around when Woolworth would get a new shipment of Angella or another MOTU toy. I drove my parents crazy.😁

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Jayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    583
    Ah ok.
    Me the Fool

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    974
    I was born in September of '82, so no, BUT some of the earliest memories I actually have and retained are of getting MOTU toys and watching the cartoons. It's literally always been an important part of my life.

    I used to freak my Dad out by citing things I "shouldn't" have remembered as I was "too young", but he'd remember them too and be like "Holy ****, how do you even still remember that?" I don't even know how to explain it, I just think certain things get hardwired into your brain if they're powerful enough. People often swear a person "can't" retain memories from before like age 5 or 6 but I absolutely do. I definitely wasn't even three when we came home with Grayskull and Snake Mountain but I remember the walk home from the toy store that evening pretty vividly. Not every detail, of course, but like "feelings" and vague sights and sounds, and then my Dad sitting on the living room floor with me putting it all together, that sort of thing. We didn't move into the house I grew up in until I was three-going-on-four, but I still have a lot of memories from when we lived in an apartment before that when I was two and three, and when we lived at my Grandmother's place before that. Pretty wild.

    So yeah, I don't literally have memories of the original toys coming out since they "came out" around the same time I did. But I DO remember bits and pieces going really far back, and He-Man and MOTU was literally always there in some form, right from the beginning.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Dina M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    176
    Nope. I was JUST too late to catch the original toys. My only memory of the original toys was playing with my uncle's discarded action figures when I was a kid. There was an Orko, a vest-less Prince Adam, a Moss Man and a Man-at-Arms who had lost one arm, and whom I named "Mangled Arms." I may have thought that was his actual name, I don't remember. I think I mainly used them as allies for the Ninja Turtles.

    I do distinctly remember using the Prince Adam as a model when I was drawing... that was much later, I must have been like twelve or thirteen at the time? And I was trying to draw more muscly dudes because I was going through a "my art can be macho even though I'm a girl" phase, but I sucked at drawing bulging muscles. But the MOTU figures had really detailed muscles, so I borrowed Prince Adam and he was kind enough to show off his amazing pecs.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior miscus555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    783
    they didn't catch my eye originally and i don't remember ever looking at one of them in the stores but 2nd grade we had a half day and i went to go play at a friends house after school and have lunch. This was Early Spring 1983. We were both serious star wars collectors but he unveiled the He-Man toys to play with. I remember he had them all in the case and had grayskull. I always liked skeletons so the Grayskull face and Skeletor stood out most. But the guy i remember most was the Blue He-man who my friend told me was named Faker. I thought it was odd but awesome at the same time because even i could tell at a young age, they simply re-used the entire mold and the name Faker made perfect sense.
    Once Jedi came out that May and the big Star Wars rush was over, I saw more of my friends with some figures over the summer, usually already naked and decided it was time to get in on this so by my birthday in Sept i had Rammy, Skelly, and Man E Faces (weapons i actually had). Once I saw Trap i immediately searched out him and by Xmas of 1983 we had pretty much 7 of the first wave and a couple of the 2nd wave. Obviously for everyone, 1984 and 1985 were major MOTU years as Star Wars was done and I wasn't a transformers nut.
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Jayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    I can remember the place purchased from and circumstances surrounding the acquisition of every single MOTU figure I own. I have a complete collection from my youth, so there are many stories.

    As for my very first exposure to the brand, that would have been December 1982, a few weeks before Christmas. My family and I were at the local mall and my mother had to stop at a JC Penny outlet to pick up an order which had just come in. While we were at the register waiting, I noticed there was a lone 8 back He-Man just laying on a box next to us. I remember considering it, attempting to puzzle out why this guy was called "He-Man." My mother asked if I wanted the figure, but I told her no; I thought it was stupid at the time. sigh For some months, that was the end of it.

    Then, in 1983, I caught my first episode of the new cartoon, "Like father, like daughter." Once the episode progressed to the transformation sequence, with that awesome theme, that was it. The very next Saturday we were off to Toys R Us in search of figures. We found a wall of Mer-Man and nothing else (back then, figures were offered in single character cases, so stores could order just what they needed if so desired. With the cartoon now on the scene, everything was sold out and retailers took what they could get.) So, Mer-Man was my first MOTU figure ever.

    A few days later my mother took me to Woolworth where we acquired Battle Cat; whom for a few days, had to suffer the indignity of being ridden by Mer-Man. Later in the same week, back to Toys R Us, but this time . . . a wall of Skeletor, and nothing else. Another one down, but still not He-Man.

    Then, the next week, my father brought home a He-Man after work. I found out my mother had been calling stores every day, and finally, after finding one, convinced them to hold the figure until my father could pick it up. I unfortunately do not know which store it was bought from. But, regardless, that night He-Man sat atop Battle Cat proper.


    Could you explsin me this in easier English please?
    I cun't understand correczly this.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    173
    Original Master of the Universe figures basically were in stores like back in 1981 or 1982.

    During those times I was 1 year old in 1981 anyway so I was too young to even know about He-Man

  12. #12
    The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Could you explsin me this in easier English please?
    I can't understand correczly this.
    The package used to send toys to stores is known as a factory case. Typically, cases contain an assortment of figures in one package. For example: He-Man, Skeletor, Man At Arms, and Beast Man might be the assortment included in a typical box/factory case. Mattel offered figures in single character cases, so instead of the box containing different figures, it would be all one character. They did this so stores could order individual toys that were selling better than others; doing this prevented retailers from having to order figures they already had a good supply of.

    In 1983, after the He-Man and The Masters of the Universe cartoon premiered, sales of the Masters of the Universe toys increased tremendously, causing figures to be sold out in many stores. Retailers needed product to sell, so they took whatever Mattel would send them. In many instances, especially with high volume retailers like Toys R Us, Mattel would send the single character cases so something could be on the shelf, as the regular cases that contained the assorted figures were completely sold out.

    This is why I encountered entire displays of just Mer-Man, then the following week Skeletor.

    Mattel was quick to meet demand, and issues like this were resolved soon after. The single character cases remained available to retailers however, for the reasons I explained.

    I hope this helps.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Jayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    583
    Very much

    This was very Kind of you.
    Thank you

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Horde Cadet Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    81
    I was 2. I don't remember the initial assortment, but I remember my first ever figure was Man E Faces. I remember spinning him around in a circle saying his name over and over until I was dizzy.

    One thing I DON'T remember is the minicomics. For whatever reason we never held onto them, and I forgot the figures included them until much later. Now I aim to get the comic for every figure and playset I owned...and eventually I'd like to collect them all.

  15. #15
    The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Horde Cadet Kyle View Post
    One thing I DON'T remember is the minicomics. For whatever reason we never held onto them, and I forgot the figures included them until much later. Now I aim to get the comic for every figure and playset I owned...and eventually I'd like to collect them all.
    There was a hardcover collection of all the vintage mini comics (and then some) released by Dark Horse Books back in 2015. The collection is still available and you can check it out at Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Master.../dp/1616558776

    Either way, the minicomics were great and really are an integral part of the MOTU experience. They're definitely worth collecting, either individually or through the collection book.

  16. #16
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    42
    The thing I remember most about the POP line is being utterly confused that it was a separate line from Masters of the Universe.

    I really wanted a She-Ra when I was a kid, but I wanted a Masters style She-Ra, similar to the Teela, Evil Lyn, and Sorceress figures I already had. I also REALLY wanted Shadow Weaver, because she was my favorite POP character.

    The only memory I had of the line when it first got released was my brother explaining to me that what I wanted really didn't exist. She explained to me that the She-Ra toy that was out there was more like a Barbie. My parents said they'd get one for me "but you don't like Barbies, so I'm just letting you know, that its probably not what you want". I ended up passing on it.

    And then of course, there was no Shadow Weaver toy at all. Booooooooo.

    Thanks to Super7, I finally have the She-Ra and Shadow Weaver figures I always wanted.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Jayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    583
    If you could choose in 1985:

    The orginal line with rooted here or something like the classics with Plastik hair


    What would you have preffered in 1985?

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Horde Cadet Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    There was a hardcover collection of all the vintage mini comics (and then some) released by Dark Horse Books back in 2015. The collection is still available and you can check it out at Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Master.../dp/1616558776

    Either way, the minicomics were great and really are an integral part of the MOTU experience. They're definitely worth collecting, either individually or through the collection book.
    Way ahead of you. I have the book. And while it is cool...it's not as cool as the actual minicomics.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    974
    One of my more vivid memories from being around two years old was my older sister getting mad at me for some reason and throwing my Beast Man figure out the upstairs window. It was dark out so we never found it. And then I never had another vintage Beast Man until last Summer.

    Around the same time, I remember I was playing with my Sy-Klone figure outside in the snow and his hologram fell out of his chest and into a snowbank. Never got that back, either.

    I've got tons of little weird memories like that.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Jayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullShadow View Post
    The thing I remember most about the POP line is being utterly confused that it was a separate line from Masters of the Universe.

    I really wanted a She-Ra when I was a kid, but I wanted a Masters style She-Ra, similar to the Teela, Evil Lyn, and Sorceress figures I already had. I also REALLY wanted Shadow Weaver, because she was my favorite POP character.

    The only memory I had of the line when it first got released was my brother explaining to me that what I wanted really didn't exist. She explained to me that the She-Ra toy that was out there was more like a Barbie. My parents said they'd get one for me "but you don't like Barbies, so I'm just letting you know, that its probably not what you want". I ended up passing on it.

    And then of course, there was no Shadow Weaver toy at all. Booooooooo.

    Thanks to Super7, I finally have the She-Ra and Shadow Weaver figures I always wanted.

    If you could choose in 1985:

    The orginal line with rooted hair or something like the classics with Plastik hair


    What would you have preffered in 1985?

  21. #21
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    If you could choose in 1985:

    The orginal line with rooted hair or something like the classics with Plastik hair


    What would you have preffered in 1985?
    My preference in 85 would have been what Super7 ended up giving us.

    So like the classics with Plastic hair.

  22. #22
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    11
    I completely empathize with the childhood desire of having a united MOTU toy collection. My brother and I were really close in age, and we were introduced to it all when our dad took us to see the movie. We both loved the intertwining worlds, and while he got the He-Man figurines and I got She-RasÂ’, we were constantly swapping and playing together with the two sets. The problem was they never quite went together (nor did their accessories, which we found endlessly frustrating), and we were really too young to fully understand why. We just thought that toy makers were really stupid, and weÂ’d be SO much better at it when we grew up.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Jayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullShadow View Post
    My preference in 85 would have been what Super7 ended up giving us.

    So like the classics with Plastic hair.
    Thanks

    Super 7 only she she ra right?
    No other females

    - - - Updated - - -

    Or you mean the classics ?

  24. #24
    Widget MelodyAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    31
    I don't remember exactly when I fell in love with She-ra but I remember being 7-8 years old and rushing home from school to watch She-ra (I am old lol). I had a Catra and I taught myself how to Braid hair by practicing on her. When I was 10, I still had my Frosta doll and she went with me to my Aunt Ruby's visitation at the funeral home. Frosta and Aunt Lee Tsu got me through that. I can't for the life of me remember if I had She-ra herself.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,945
    Absolutely.

    It would have been whenever they were first released... so in 1982, I would have been 5. First thing I ever saw MOTU related was Castle Grayskull at the local Tepes. That artwork was so awesome, I HAD TO HAVE IT!!! I remember mom saying it was too expensive, but we were having a rummage sale soon so if i sold some of my old toys She'd get it for me. Which I did... I distinctly recall 5 year old me harassing any adult that showed up in our yard 'If they had any kids? Come look at these toys!!"

    After I got the castle, I tried to use my construction workers from fisher price? Playskool? Something like that in the castle... and it just wasn't working... So we went to Toys R Us a few weeks later and the only MOTU figures there were was He-man and Man-at-Arms. The rest of the early figures came later, but that's where I started

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •