Thread: in baseball, when is the right time to steal a base?

Heroic Warrior

in baseball, when is the right time to steal a base?

in major league baseball i dont see stuff like a baseball player trying to steal a base whether its MLB baseball on tv or local sports.

Just curious as to when is it the right time to steal a base in baseball?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    When the probability that the player stealing the base will get thrown out (caught) is at its lowest…
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    in major league baseball i dont see stuff like a baseball player trying to steal a base whether its MLB baseball on tv or local sports.

There are a hundred different scenarios, score, defensive alignment, batter's ability to hit extra base hits to score from 2B (scoring position), staying out of a double play
    Instagram: dadhausen

Master of New Adventures!
    Regardless of the scenario, the runner should begin his steal at the precise second after the pitcher as reached the apex of his pitch motion and has just begun the downward descent, resulting in the pitcher having committed to making the pitch, ensuring the runner of the maximum amount of time to make it safely to the base he will be running toward. If the runner starts the run a second earlier, just before the pitcher has committed to the pitch, then the pitcher can break off his pitch, whirl and make the throw to pick off the runner who is now too far away from the base.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Agree with all of the above.

It's in one sense a player specific skill. A classic example (but again, one of many) is with a good lead-off man in the order...has a good percentage history of getting on first base to lead off (batting average, drawing walks), then has the speed to make stolen base opportunities happen.

And then you have the defensive side. Some pitchers are better at containing base stealers, and some catchers have a much better arm for the quick release and a hard precise throw to second.

But back to the lead-off man example...if they have a higher percentage with stolen base attempts, then you are trying to play percentages. Get them on first, take a stolen base opportunity while you still have no outs (or in later innings one out), and then you have them in scoring position. This means you have at least one out still for a sacrifice fly/bunt then to advance them. And then their speed is a factor again, because they will have a better chance to advance after a tag-up. And yet again, as others have mentioned, many other scenarios where a stolen base attempt can make sense as well.

This is the real beauty of baseball to me...the strategy of percentages. Home runs are fun, but there's so much more to the game than that.
    Last edited by Granamyr's Helmet; June 18, 2021 at 01:43pm.

in baseball, when is the right time to steal a base?

It is never right to steal.

Didn't your parents teach you that?

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Master of New Adventures!
    Here's a wonderful article about one of the best base stealers of all time. This is a kind of mini-text book for the art of stealing. I love how he imparts his philosophy.

I will never forgive the Cubs for trading him.

https://sports.jrank.org/pages/627/B...to-an-Art.html

As an aside, not too shabby for an "older" player to finish off his career with a .304 batting average and a .293 career average. My gosh, imagine what his salary would be nowadays...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 18, 2021 at 02:45pm.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Here's a wonderful article about one of the best base stealers of all time. This is a kind of mini-text book for the art of stealing. I love how he imparts his philosophy.

I will never forgive the Cubs for trading him.

https://sports.jrank.org/pages/627/B...to-an-Art.html

As an aside, not too shabby for an "older" player to finish off his career with a .304 batting average and a .293 career average. My gosh, imagine what his salary would be nowadays...
    Brock was such a great player, I still have his card I got when I was a kid. I didn't realize he had passed away last year.

1979 was an interesting "changing of the guard" with Rickey Henderson's debut that year, and Lou's final season.

I don't think you can "study" Henderson...his natural ability was on some whole other level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    It is never right to steal.

Didn't your parents teach you that?

"Gee mister, we was just foolin' around, we weren't going to keep the base. We just wanted to go home. Honest, we never stole nothin'"