Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it pretty much too expensive for a new person to get into MOTU Classics?

is it pretty much too expensive for a new person to get into MOTU Classics?

Some of the prices of these are out of control while some are still in the $30 range. Will there be a down period soon?
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

It seems unlikely. I say don't struggle trying to play catch up on a dead line, Just get in on the new stuff, Origins and Masterverse. It'll be less stressful, less expensive and it'll help support the brand moving forward.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 8/29/2021

A lot of fans are hoping that Masterverse will eventually (maybe after the first few waves) start including more Classics-like figures. They wouldn't be identical; the scale and the articulation will obviously be different.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm going to say no.

And admittingly that is based on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Or not much of anything.

I think if you go............

HEY! Stumbled on to this site. And because of that onto Classics. Help me out.

I don't see how or why checking out the for sale thread would or could hurt

THEN

check out out the interwebs.

I guess it's just a matter of where you check.

Wishful thinking on my part? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
    Some of the prices of these are out of control while some are still in the $30 range. Will there be a down period soon?

I just see prices increasing more over time...definitely not decreasing. Don't stress yourself out over Classics, which trying to acquire them is exactly what it will do, and enjoy collecting what is available now or soon, being Origins and Masterverse. That's just my two cents.

Only an individual could answer that for themselves, but I think it's probably out of most peoples' range, by this point.

My living situation is the only reason I was able to jump in last year. I think I have close to 20 figures and I've spent around two grand. I don't have most of the "essential" characters like Teela, Sorceress, Man-At-Arms, and several others. If it were the only line I collected, I'd have more, but most of the ones I want are still crazy. As it is, I lost my job during the Pandemic but I also saved a lot of overhead by NOT going to work every day, my Unemployment was very generous and my in-laws cut me some slack on the rent and so on. So due to a variety of factors, I actually have MORE disposable income than I used to, but that's an unorthodox situation and I don't think most people are in a similar boat. Otherwise, I might only have He-Man and Skeletor and that's it.

So yeah, individual mileage will vary but I think most people probably can't afford to jump in at this point. Anyone "good" is around two hundred bucks or more, so even having a "basic" collection of "essential" characters is a several-thousand dollar investment.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

with a brand new toy guide just released I don't see them going down in price. Sure a few may but just like the original line I don't see them going down.

At least the line is done so you have a full checklist of what is out there and can pick and choose what you want to get as your budget allows. Keep hunting and you may get good deals here and there.
    cogito ergo doleo

It's pretty much a RIP off trying to buy classics, unless you like princess of power and new adventures. Bbts has so w of the filmation figures for less than $50. I snagged a loose stratos for$30, and someone crazy sold me a leech loose for $35, but it's been months since I've seen an a or b lister for a decent price.

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    I would say for some people yes. Hell, I didn't buy many MOTUC figures when they were new because they were already coming out at the price of a middle-budget
    video game. And as much as I love He-Man stuff I couldn't justify that. I got a handful of them when Gamestop of all places had a bunch of them in their half off of clearance
    sale on collectibles. That's when I could get a few of them for less than the price of what an Origins figure is supposed to cost at MSRP. I dig them, especially Dragstor. But yeah
    If I have to choose between a MOTUC figure and say a Nintendo Switch game, I'm probably getting the Switch game.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

It depends how much you want them and how much you have to spend.

I only found out about Classics towards the end of last year but I've managed to find all 15 of my absolute favourites on eBay with a bit of searching. To me they are the idealised version of my vintage figures I had as a kid and I don't expect anything like them to be made ever again. To me they are just right. I really like the Mondo 1/6 scale as well but they are just too big to have too many imo.

Mine cost (depending on character) between $90 and $300 each but more towards the middle top end than low end, of course.

Scareglow and Ultimate Teela were easily the two hardest to track down and most expensive. They make me smile every time I see them so I guess they were worth it to me.

I went in after just my favourites, being a newcomer to the line and trying to be a competionist would be insanity imo.

Yeah, I love how deep the line is but I'm definitely not trying to "complete" it by any means. By this point that would be nuts.

There's definitely more that I want and hope to get, though, because I highly doubt we'll ever get better MOTU figures in this lifetime. I try and get one per month, more or less. I most recently got Palace King Randor.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    At least the line is done so you have a full checklist of what is out there and can pick and choose what you want to get as your budget allows. Keep hunting and you may get good deals here and there.
    Agreed with this ^

January 2012 I sold all my Classics (and a lot of my other toylines) because of my financial situation at the time (I had everything out up to that point). I only kept He-Man/ Skeletor/ She-Ra/ Hordak/ Battle Cat/ Panthor/ Swift Wind, and any variants of those characters up to that point.

I really, really regretted it just a few months later. As time went on my financial situation got better, and during Cyber Monday in 2015 I jumped back into line. Between 2015-2018, I slowly started building up my collection again piece by piece by picking and choosing. Now I'm only missing a handful of the regular figures (mainly PoP and some 200x/filmation characters like Lizard Man etc), larger figures like Granamyr and the giants, and the older power-con stuff.

I used eBay, Amazon, and many excellent sellers on here to complete my collection. A lot of people were very helpful and understanding when I purchased large lots at once.

The best thing to do is pick and choose which you want first and focus on budgeting and getting them. Most of the figures that were cheap back in 2015 are still cheap today (PoP and NA mainly). I knew I wanted Shadow Weaver and The Sorceress, but they were the priciest and most difficult to find, so I focused on getting them and all the He-Man/ Skeletor variants first. Then rebuilding the "core" teams. Then my personal favorites (like Snout Spout), and from there I switched to factions/ toylines (Horde, then Snake Men, then NA, etc).

It's do-able, but over a number of years and a lot of budgeting and commitment.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

Heroic Warrior
    Also exclusive figures like Wundar, Shadow Weaver and other sub exclusive fires go for insane money on the secondary market. I do think the Classics ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Agree with your comments.

As a 200x fan I was done and dusted at the demise of the line. When the classics came out I had zero interest in it. Fast forward to 2020 I decided to cherry pick some of the figures that would beef up my 200x collection. I wrote my list of what I wanted and when on the hunt via EBay, the Org, Facebook marketplace, local stores and local toy fairs. Fortunately the majority of figures I wanted tend to be on the cheaper end of the figures. You can do it BUT it will take time and plenty of dollars.

I slowly warmed up to Classics and didn't actually subscribe until 2012. Before that I cherry picked a few of them on the secondary market. I could kick myself for not getting Wundar when he was still affordable on the secondary market. The same thing happened with Webstor. He was released before I started subscribing and by the time I decided that I wanted him, he was already too expensive on the secondary market to be a practical purchase. Gamestop actually had some pretty good sale prices for MOTU Classics figures for a while (that's how I got Oolar), but their supply has dried up since then.

Heroic Warrior
    I can tell you that prices have almost doubled on a lot of the figures over the last year or so. Last year I started selling off some of my figures and was pricing others. The ones I priced and never listed are selling for more now. Wundar, the first 5 ultimate figures from super7, roboto and buzz off to name a few. It’s crazy how much some of the figures are selling for these days.

I think the price of these figures on the secondary market is absolutely bananas.

They were expensive enough to buy the first time around. Ever since the line stopped I've had so much extra cash to spend on things like GI Joe, War for Cybertron, and now Masterverse. The thought of juggling three toy ranges while still collecting Classics would have been a pipe dream. Occassionally I think "wouldn't it be nice to get a second Roboto or Buzz Off so I can display that 200X head properly" or "I really should track down the SDCC He-Ro variant one day", then I look at the money required to do that.

For me, If I hadn't started buying MOTUC in 2008, I would absolutely not start now. They are not worth the current market price, at least not to me.
    It'd be like starting to buy Masterpiece Transformers from MP-01. I'd love to have them, but other much cheaper things are out there that scratch the same itch.

If you are determined, my advice would be:

• Set yourself a collecting policy. Narrow down the list of figures you want to something manageable - is it the just original eight back? just characters you had as a kid? only Filmation versions? Whatever you decide, stick to it. Don't buy figures outside that remit.
    • Buy loose and used figures whenever possible (assuming you're not a mint-on-card collector). That'll save you money.
    • Buy large lots of figures if you can afford them, and then sell on the figures that are not part of your collecting policy separately. Again, it'll save money.
    • Be prepared that this will take a long time. It could be many years until you complete this collection.
    • Set yourself a budget and stick to it. Be strong enough to pass on a figure if it's too expensive, even if it's one your really want. It will come around again eventually.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Neil; July 5, 2021 at 06:13am.

Heroic Warrior
    It's unlikely that you will start seeing massive price drops soon. Every now and seen someone sells off a collection, but you really have to be on the ball with this stuff.

But even if this is stating the obvious, a MOTUC collection, even if you are only going for the "core" characters, will cost you thousands... and it will be a fair amount of work (monitoring ebay, facebook groups etc). I mean, I obviously love MOTU, but to me it wouldn't be worth it, personally.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't imagine one $300 figure from eBay being more fun than the 5 current Origins Deluxes + 13 basic figures put together.

Well what is your target? If you want a complete collection and are starting from scratch, then yes, it's totally out of range.

Prices will only increase, because:

1) They were made in small quantities for the online collector market, so there aren't that many around
    2) They're considered the gold standard for MOTU figures, and won't be matched in the future
    3) As MOTU becomes increasingly popular and more people become aware of their existence, demand for them will increase even further

The only thing that could drive the prices of Classics down would be if Mattel releases more of them through the Masterverse line (though there's no sign of that happening) or Super7 gets the license back and re-issues the more popular characters (also no indication that this will happen any time soon).

It's utterly futile to start a Classics collection now unless you have a very modest goal.

I was just checking prices for figures that I skipped, missed, or want pieces of for customs. Holy smokes have prices exploded. The pandemic raised demand on all sorts of “hobby” stuff, but MOTUC figures are insane.

(You want to see true lunacy, try to buy a vintage Gameboy.)
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

Heroic Warrior
    Did a quick eBay search...

Classics Fisto
    GREAT PRICE
    $420.69

Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    Did a quick eBay search...

Classics Fisto
    GREAT PRICE
    $420.69
    Damn, I thought $90 to $120 for She-Ra was a bit much.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 8/29/2021

couple things i noticed this past week.

somebody on FB was trying to sell a complete motu classics set for 30k. i didn't look into the details due to the price but thats pretty crazy.

2nd, someone alerted me to a toyguru youtube video that classics would be released again under the revelations packaging because mattel used he same buck and knows the fan have been asking for a re-release. any truth to this? i know mattel isn't always the smartest toy maker and have always believed they stepped in $hite with MOTU and it turned out to be gold.
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

Heroic Warrior
    I can't confirm or deny such a youtube video.

Even if I've seen it already I wouldn't mind watching it again just to hear that part.

couple things i noticed this past week.

somebody on FB was trying to sell a complete motu classics set for 30k. i didn't look into the details due to the price but thats pretty crazy.

2nd, someone alerted me to a toyguru youtube video that classics would be released again under the revelations packaging because mattel used he same buck and knows the fan have been asking for a re-release. any truth to this? i know mattel isn't always the smartest toy maker and have always believed they stepped in $hite with MOTU and it turned out to be gold.