Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is it pretty much too expensive for a new person to get into MOTU Classics?

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNSC7 View Post
    What does buck mean?
    If you look at the classic figures as an example, almost all of them are built on the standard buck which is the torso/bust.

Heroic Warrior
    Depends on how much disposable income that new person has, and how much of it they're willing to part ways with.

Yesterday a guy put up his complete Classics/Club Grayskull collection on Facebook Marketplace for 15 grand, which is surprisingly low!

...it's hard to believe these things were twenty bucks a piece at one point.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNSC7 View Post
    What does buck mean?
    A "buck" of an action figure is the general, standard sculpt of the main body style, with a generalized understanding of parts and articulation that make up that figure. In the Masters of The Universe Classics line, for instance (much as in the Original '80s Masters of The universe line), the body sculpts of the He-Man figure, his chest, shorts, arms and legs were used interchangably with Man-At-Arms, he just had a different head and weapons/armor. Skeletor uses the same chest and shorts pieces, but has different (Evil!) arms and legs, plus his own head and gear. When someone mentions a "buck" of an action figure, it refers to the parts that are used again and again within the line to give the toys a cohesive scale and appearance, and also helps the company save money by not having to start completely from scratch when they go to make a new character/figure. Not every toy line does this, but it's a well recognized phenomenon when You know what you're looking for/at.

Hope this helps..? :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Yesterday a guy put up his complete Classics/Club Grayskull collection on Facebook Marketplace for 15 grand, which is surprisingly low!
    Yeah if that was complete that is crazy low.

Classics will most likely always be the definitive MOTU collectors line. Most likely nothing will get close. Origins even if it runs the gambit and gets us everything that Classics did and more vehicles will be subpar due to the lack of paint detail.

If you have the money and can can spend $1000 TO $2000 a year for the next 8 years Classics is an option. I would go for the expensive ones first because they will only be going up in price.

Considering Super7 action figures cost about $55 now anything under that is kind of a good deal in my book if it's new.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I had a realization not too long ago:

If Iím toying with the idea of purchasing Origins, Classics or anything else MOTU and the price is rising past $150, now Iím in the realm of artwork and sculptures.

For similar money, I could spend $300 on one figure OR get a couple of beautiful 12Ē Mondo figures with more height, weight, colors, detail, etc.

For $500 plus I can get one 7Ē Classics figure or an 18Ē Sideshow maquette. Or, save up a bit more and get a 1:1 scale Power Sword.

For $25 to skyís the limit, I can get original Filmation sketches; animation cels; beautiful limited-edition artwork; or even privately commissioned artwork.

For what some folks spent on 2021 Power-Con exclusives, they could have gotten a life-sized bust of Skeletor!

Of course, it all depends on what floats your boat. For display purposes, I think less is more and a couple of larger-sized pieces look better on a shelf than 20+ smaller figures to me. That said, I plan on collecting all Origins figures that I can reasonably find, but I probably will no longer display them in lieu of more select pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    A "buck" of an action figure is the general, standard sculpt of the main body style, with a generalized understanding of parts and articulation that make up that figure. In the Masters of The Universe Classics line, for instance (much as in the Original '80s Masters of The universe line), the body sculpts of the He-Man figure, his chest, shorts, arms and legs were used interchangably with Man-At-Arms, he just had a different head and weapons/armor. Skeletor uses the same chest and shorts pieces, but has different (Evil!) arms and legs, plus his own head and gear. When someone mentions a "buck" of an action figure, it refers to the parts that are used again and again within the line to give the toys a cohesive scale and appearance, and also helps the company save money by not having to start completely from scratch when they go to make a new character/figure. Not every toy line does this, but it's a well recognized phenomenon when You know what you're looking for/at.

Hope this helps..? :^)
    I used to literally study my figures as a kid and compare which figures were equally strong based on what arm mold, chest mold, etc. was used on that fig, lol!

In general, I remember looking at every inch of my toys. Am I alone in this? Iíve never really seen my son do that.

Quote Originally Posted by FASAfan View Post

I used to literally study my figures as a kid and compare which figures were equally strong based on what arm mold, chest mold, etc. was used on that fig, lol!

In general, I remember looking at every inch of my toys. Am I alone in this? Iíve never really seen my son do that.
    I didn't do exactly what you did... but I was looking at the figures to see if their poses were "exactly" the same, and wondering why some figures did not come with two gripping hands, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FASAfan View Post

I used to look them over as a kid.

Just recently I started a new thing. I've bought so much stuff and I don't think I take the time to enjoy it all like I should. So I grab a different figure each day after work and put it on my nightstand. Then whenever I'm in bed I examine it like you described. Pose it some. Just take it in.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I used to look them over as a kid.

Just recently I started a new thing. I've bought so much stuff and I don't think I take the time to enjoy it all like I should. So I grab a different figure each day after work and put it on my nightstand. Then whenever I'm in bed I examine it like you described. Pose it some. Just take it in.
    Now thatís cool. Awesome.

I literally only have four shelves of a five-shelf bookcase to display stuff on. My son has two of them. Iíve got the other two. I need to consider rotating my burgeoning MOTU collection so I can enjoy them all...

Court Magician
    Just watched the new Revelation series TWICE on day one, and I'm 100% ready to shell out STUPID money for any and all characters from it in Classics style. I say dream big and then storm Mattel if they won't shut up and take our money!

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    Just watched the new Revelation series TWICE on day one, and I'm 100% ready to shell out STUPID money for any and all characters from it in Classics style. I say dream big and then storm Mattel if they won't shut up and take our money!
    Might want to talk to Super7 while you're at it
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

I love it! Good luck and happy hunting.

Iíve finished collecting everything I was after but that said, Iím still looking around for any cheap deals out there.

A blessing and a curse...

Now that Revelation has placed MOTU in the publice eye again (and enthusiasm is at a high), secondary market prices for MOTU figures are going to skyrocket (even more than usual...)

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    A month or two ago I went to a comic shop out of town that was selling some for about 50$ I think. They were placed behind a counter, on a self so I didn't look at all of them but 50$ was the price I got my Adora for. I was going to other stores that day so I didn't grab more. Other shops I have went to don't usually have them, when they do they charge around 100$+. I will try to go back to that shop soon but I doubt they will have much left if at all.
    Not sure where else to post this but went back to that first comic book store and they still had some. I didn't get any or ask for the price so if you can go see how it goes. The place is Lone Star comics in El Lago, TX.

20210725_143837.jpg

I just broke down and bought a Loose Complete "Classics" Teela for about $187 after shipping.

She's one of my "must-own" characters that I've been putting off due to the price but I figure she's only going to go up post-Revelation.

This is the first Classics figure I've bought loose. I figure as time goes by I'll have to start doing that more often. Looks like it's in great shape from the pictures, and it includes the cardback at least.

Now I need Sorceress and Man-At-Arms, and then I can relax a little bit. Still plenty others I want but I'll have most of my "must-buys" by then.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I just broke down and bought a Loose Complete "Classics" Teela for about $187 after shipping.

She's one of my "must-own" characters that I've been putting off due to the price but I figure she's only going to go up post-Revelation.

This is the first Classics figure I've bought loose. I figure as time goes by I'll have to start doing that more often. Looks like it's in great shape from the pictures, and it includes the cardback at least.

Now I need Sorceress and Man-At-Arms, and then I can relax a little bit. Still plenty others I want but I'll have most of my "must-buys" by then.
    Sometimes loose is better. Some classics had real bad QC. Red granamyr comes to mind. Many of his joints were locked inside. I actually fixed mine, he works perfect. If I was buying him. Iíd look for loose and working. 99 percent of my collection is still carded(no freaking space to display) and it terrifies me to open some of them.

That said Iím still in shock over the price of classics. These things jump higher every week.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Yeah, I prefer buying things in the package but the plan is to open it all anyway, so if I can save $50 or more here and there I'm like whatever.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I'm so grateful I was able to get these when I did. I remember thinking $50 was a lot to pay for Shadow Weaver when I bought her. Now that's a steal for qny of the Classics lol!

That being said there are a few I never bought (Wundar, Tytus, and Snake Man At Arms) and now I probably never will but I'm very happy with the ones I have.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I'm so grateful I was able to get these when I did. I remember thinking $50 was a lot to pay for Shadow Weaver when I bought her. Now that's a steal for qny of the Classics lol!

That being said there are a few I never bought (Wundar, Tytus, and Snake Man At Arms) and now I probably never will but I'm very happy with the ones I have.
    I was fuming when the price jumped to $25.00/30.00!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Not sure where else to post this but went back to that first comic book store and they still had some. I didn't get any or ask for the price so if you can go see how it goes. The place is Lone Star comics in El Lago, TX.

20210725_143837.jpg
    That's impressive... Preternia Disguise He-Man, Color change Orko, and Shadow Weaver were all club exclusives or SDCC exclusive.

I would be afraid to ask what they are charging for them....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That's impressive... Preternia Disguise He-Man, Color change Orko, and Shadow Weaver were all club exclusives or SDCC exclusive.

And here we are few years later paying 55 for s7 stuff. Ugh.. I'll take all.of mattys prices gladly lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    A local comic shop has Gwildor for $200, Mighty Spector for $130, Green Goddess for $275, and Shadow Weaver for $800.

I assume some of those are over the going rates on like eBay, but it's still crazy (especially since Shadow Weaver is just chilling in a Ziploc bag with no accessories).

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post

Absolutely, agree
    man I feel so happy for once in my collecting that I never sold my MOTUC line, it felt an incredible journey from 2008 until few years ago, that was the definitive line for me and nothing will hardly replace, it was probably the 4 horsemen being involved and true fans of the property and the funny times with Matty Collector with TG being so passionate on the brand and where everything felt so close / friendly to the collector, yeah I think a community of fans only and not (unknown) casual buyers..
    what great times!
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Last time I asked the were charging around 50$ for Shadow Weaver.

My loose/complete Classics Teela came in the mail today (a day early, even)!

As noted, this is the first Classics figure that I've bought loose. All the others are still in the packages, although the plan is to open them eventually. So this is also the first Classics figure I've actually had my hands on to mess with. I was pretty excited about that!

Once again, I paid about $187 for this figure, complete with accessories.

I really like it! But I do have some notes. The seller said it was "mostly only ever used for display only", but I'm sure they at least probably switched the heads once or twice and toyed with it a little bit. But anyway, I'd appreciate it if some other Classics collectors can chime in on whether or not some of these issues are common or not. Anyways...

- I really appreciate the seller including the cardback. One reason I've avoided buying loose Classics is because I really want the cardbacks and lots of times it looks like they don't bother.

- The head is a little bit loose, probably from being swapped with the armored head at some point. I gave it a gentle "push" and it seems to be more snug, but it doesn't quite look like it's on the peg right. Like just a hair off-center.

- The right knee is a little bit loose as well.

- There is some light "spotting" on the figure, nothing terrible but there are some small dark spots on her neck and across her back.

- The shield likes to fall off of her arm rather easily.

- Really like the accessories - the sword, the staff, Zoar, all that stuff. Getting so many accessories kind of takes some of the sting out of the price.

- It's nice that Zoar is finally to scale, but man... so tiny compared to the vintage Zoar!

- The figure overall looks great and feels pretty good, but I have to say that honestly it feels a little fragile, like I'd be scared to mess with it too much. Like, I like the alternate head a lot but I don't think I'm ever going to try swapping them. Unless someone here can attest that it's reasonably "safe" to do so. I'd hate to break my near-$200 figure, y'know? I don't know, it doesn't feel like it's all THAT delicate but it doesn't feel as sturdy as like, a DCU Classics figure, for example.

Anyways, I'm really glad to finally have this one in my collection! The next two I plan to get are Sorceress and Man-At-Arms... both of which are gonna be anywhere from $200-300 depending. Sigh. BUT, after that my urgency to get anyone else will be a lot lower, and I'll have most of my "Must-Buys" give or take a couple of the villains. I mean I only have about 20 of these so obviously there's tons of others I want, but you know how it is... at these prices, you can't have everything. So after Sorceress and Man-At-Arms, anybody else will probably be like "If I get 'em, I get 'em and if not oh well."