Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is it pretty much too expensive for a new person to get into MOTU Classics?

Quote Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
    couple things i noticed this past week.

somebody on FB was trying to sell a complete motu classics set for 30k. i didn't look into the details due to the price but thats pretty crazy.

2nd, someone alerted me to a toyguru youtube video that classics would be released again under the revelations packaging because mattel used he same buck and knows the fan have been asking for a re-release. any truth to this? i know mattel isn't always the smartest toy maker and have always believed they stepped in $hite with MOTU and it turned out to be gold.
    Well that's bull **** because there is no Revelation toy line.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 8/29/2021

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, if you won the lotto then go for it but if your a normal punter like me with a normal 9-5 then no. I'm a massive MOTU fan but due to work/college commitments over the exact years (isn't that a bit of bad luck!!) that Classics were launching and selling , I just lost touch with it. Then when I re-engage, the Classics ship has already sailed. If I could go back in time I would but at this point you have to resign yourself that you're never going to have a complete Classics collection. Despite the fact that I would contend that it's the best action figure line ever made (and certainly in MOTU), I've had to accept my loss and move on. I'm throwing myself into trying to add to my vintage collection now and trying to get what Origins I can.

Plus, think of it this way. The prices that scalpers (and that's what they are, despite many saying they are genuine MOTU fans) are charging on greedBay etc is so out of reality, they are simply not worth it. Yes they are fantastic figures, but at that price why should I blow half my wages on a top figure just to line your greedy pockets, when the facts are that you are taking advantage of a genuine passion that I have to try and fleece me? ****** off like. I'll collect MOTU my way

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    As much as I hate to say it, I think the obvious answer to this is: Yes, it's too expensive for a new person to get into Classics.

There are over 200 figures. Even if you only wanted 100 of them, it's almost at the point where the average price for the figures most people would likely want is ~$100 (some MUCH more, some less). That's $10,000 right there.

If you wanted a more modest collection, you'd probably want the characters that are in the $100-$200 range (or more). You may spend $1,000 and only have like 6-8 figures.

I'll put it to you this way: even as someone who was along for the ride and LOVES the line, I doubt I'll ever actually get the few that I missed that I actually want; and almost all of those are in the "somewhat reasonable" range, relatively speaking. When you have a huge Motuc collection, and you bought almost every single one of them for at or around retail, it just feels crazy to buy figures for triple or quadruple retail price. And like I said, that's not even the really obscene ones that are 10x-15x retail price.

I would just jump in on Origins or hope for the best with the future of Masterverse, like others have suggested.

I stupidly wound up selling my modest collection after a divorce... and I regret it so much. But it's way too expensive to buy them back. So I decided to go all in on Origins and start buying some of the vintage stuff. But the thing that bothered me most is missing out on Castle Grayskull. Classics is the only one that is even close to big enough, but it's soooo crazy expensive. I decided to make my own. And that has kept me busy and happy enough that I don't kick myself every single day for selling off my classics.

I did keep He-Man, Skeletor, and The Sorceress. So that saved me $600-700 right there if I tried to replace them.

I would say find something MOTU that you can really sink yourself into without breaking the bank and driving yourself crazy. There is a ton of stuff out there to buy, and lots of people customizing that you can learn from. Draw your own comics or rewatch all the Filmation cartoons (I did that recently too).

somebody on FB was trying to sell a complete motu classics set for 30k. i didn't look into the details due to the price but thats pretty crazy.

2nd, someone alerted me to a toyguru youtube video that classics would be released again under the revelations packaging because mattel used he same buck and knows the fan have been asking for a re-release. any truth to this? i know mattel isn't always the smartest toy maker and have always believed they stepped in $hite with MOTU and it turned out to be gold.
    We know that it isn't true because revelation figures are already out and they don't share parts with MOTUC.
    cogito ergo doleo

Heroic Warrior

Masterverse uses a different buck. I think it's safe to assume that we'll get some non-Revelations figures in the future, but we'll probably never see Mattel use the MOTUC buck again (which is fair, it's definitely lacking in articulation).

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Only an individual could answer that for themselves, but I think it's probably out of most peoples' range, by this point.

Anyone "good" is around two hundred bucks or more, so even having a "basic" collection of "essential" characters is a several-thousand dollar investment.
    I agree completely.

The prices have gone up as, seemingly more fans have discovered the desirable line of a limited production run. Whether or not the current prices are too expensive is going to be up to each and every collector to decide based on their expendable income. Just like Transformers Masterpiece or Hot Toys. There are a limited, finite amount of each figure in the Classics run. I don't see the more desirable figures coming down in price unless a better line replaces them. I don't see that happening.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd say probably. You might be able to cobble together customs for affordable prices (there's a shop called something like Barbarossa Customs that I sometimes window shop, and they have some random parts, and there are other people who will do resin casts of basically any parts).

I think your best bet is probably just going for Masterverse or Origins. You can always use them as a base for MOTUC custom parts and like make the custom line of your dreams using parts from Origins, MOTUC, and Masterverse.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Masterverse uses a different buck. I think it's safe to assume that we'll get some non-Revelations figures in the future, but we'll probably never see Mattel use the MOTUC buck again (which is fair, it's definitely lacking in articulation).
    I didn’t really get into watching the video but some guy was really trying to sell me on it to convince us that paying heavily for classics is a bad idea if one was thinking about it because they will come out again.
    I think Mattel would simply make a new sculpt of the main characters but you’d never see the secondary assortment of characters made. And something like that wouldn’t last at retail to get to a huge 2nd, 3rd tier characters given how retail swings and trends are. I think the only company that could perform a feat like that would be Hasbro given their consistent releases over the years in regards to Star Wars black series and marvel legends.
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    So YES. It is too expensive to just come in and start buying old figures. If you want in, you need to play in the currency of Toys and trade up for what you want. Thats means you have to make sure to nab rare exclusives from active lines lines like GI Joe and Marvel Legends, then trade those to collectors that have MOTUC stuff. I was able to trade some of that stupid Cobra Island target stuff for extra Horde Snake Troopers and a few custom heads. It might take awhile, but you can get there.

I would by no means pay any of the ebay rates for anything over 40 or 50 bucks.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

It can be done but if you’re average Joe like most of us, pencil in a decade to collect them all

A46F01AA-F388-4BCB-A4DB-35410DE0DA7F.jpg

That was my wish list which took me approx 12 months to collect. Fortunately the majority of the figures I was after were at the cheaper end of the classics line.

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    So YES. It is too expensive to just come in and start buying old figures. If you want in, you need to play in the currency of Toys and trade up for what you want. Thats means you have to make sure to nab rare exclusives from active lines lines like GI Joe and Marvel Legends, then trade those to collectors that have MOTUC stuff. I was able to trade some of that stupid Cobra Island target stuff for extra Horde Snake Troopers and a few custom heads. It might take awhile, but you can get there.

I would by no means pay any of the ebay rates for anything over 40 or 50 bucks.
    That is a great point. I should have done that. I saw 5 of those Turtles in Time packs at Target a month ago... drats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    It can be done but if you’re average Joe like most of us, pencil in a decade to collect them all

A46F01AA-F388-4BCB-A4DB-35410DE0DA7F.jpg

That was my wish list which took me approx 12 months to collect. Fortunately the majority of the figures I was after were at the cheaper end of the classics line.
    Yeah but how much will they cost in 10 years? Scareglow will be a $795,325. lol. ANd you didn't want Griffin? Oh man, I had the Griffin and I LOVED!!!! it. I wish I could get it now. was thinking of learning to sculpt onto existing figures and make an origins Griffin. I just think it looked awesome hanging from my ceiling with Beast Man riding it. But to each his/her own.

I don't know much about other brands other than the 112 collective, but master seems to have drastic appreciation values. This is despite media. What’s going on? Esp motuc. IS the the paint apps, the sculpt ,run number? It was not that low I heard 20,000 units It’s refusing to go down in price despite the Masterverse. But what in particular is so special about this IP that has such a high after market value? The Super had a lower number than 20,000 but how don't know how low for the MOC to be met.
    Last edited by Baba1983; July 9, 2021 at 01:50pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Oh man, I had the Griffin and I LOVED!!!! it. I wish I could get it now. was thinking of learning to sculpt onto existing figures and make an origins Griffin. I just think it looked awesome hanging from my ceiling with Beast Man riding it. But to each his/her own.
    The reason why I gave up collecting a Griffin was because I thought it was to small in comparison to the figures. The fact it was a battle cat with wings didn’t sit well with me.

I remember, for a time, the "red-eye, reversed shoulder" He-Man was practically being given away on eBay when the v.2 figure came out.

Now, that same figure is at asinine prices!

Also, I have to agree about the Griffon beast... that thing is incredibly cool! I just wish I bought more than two because I want an army of riders for my evil warrior faction...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    The reason why I gave up collecting a Griffin was because I thought it was to small in comparison to the figures. The fact it was a battle cat with wings didn’t sit well with me.
    That's fair. It was much bigger on the show.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba1983 View Post
    I don't know much about other brands other than the 112 collective, but master seems to have drastic appreciation values. This is despite media. WhatÂ’s going on? Esp motuc. IS the the paint apps, the sculpt ,run number? It was not that low I heard 20,000 units ItÂ’s refusing to go down in price despite the Masterverse. But what in particular is so special about this IP that has such a high after market value? The Super had a lower number than 20,000 but how don't know how low for the MOC to be met.
    Classics were always limited and almost always expensive (for what you got, "in comparison to other lines") as they were released. Now, in addition to their being regarded as one of the most thorough and beloved toy lines ever created, collectors playing catch up also have to contend with Motuc being the 'preferred' and definitive representation of the property for almost everyone that comes to it.

A worldwide pool of motu fans numbering in the millions + limited supply of preferred product everyone wants that topped out at maybe 30,000 units = high prices that dont go down.

Add in the fact that no motu collection is *really* complete without a whole big chunk of classics (i settled on 50) and you've got a a bubble that isnt going anywhere until something universally seen as better and/or 'as complete' comes along and, if we're being honest, that's not very likely to happen.

You guys also have the misfortune of shopping for these things while motu is heating up again. Two years ago, i got a classics grayskull on ebay, brand new in box, for 300 bucks. Now that more people are looking at motu again, i'm seeing the same item go for over 1,000.

Like any market, the toy market will ebb and flow, but MOTUC is unique in that it was a (for a majority of the time) subscription service.

Because so many of these are being snapped up on the secondary, they are getting harder and harder to find at a decent price... and, although large units of most SKUs were produced, it was still far less than a mass market toyline.

Some other subscription services had a similar system, whether it be music, clothing, books, tupperware... people who gain an interest in these items, after the service has stopped, will have an uphill battle finding and collecting them.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Some of the prices of these are out of control while some are still in the $30 range. Will there be a down period soon?
    I you do decide to got for it there is a sound approach.

When I embark on a pricy collection, new or existing, I set parameters. Once those goals are achieved I move the goal posts back.

When I got into vintage figures I focused on one year at a time, only going to the next year after the previous year is complete.
    When I got into MOTU Classics I first went for the original 1982-1987 vintage characters, then went for other series from there grabbing new figures as they rolled out.
    When it came to Star Wars Hot Toys I first only went for main characters, then Imperial troops, then episode IV, then V then VI.
    For TF Masterpiece I just collected season one Sunbow cartoon characters.

Define a small achievable goal to collect. Once you achieve that goal and if you want more set a new, small goal. Otherwise you'll be running around like a mad man spending the mortgage before you know it.

The important thing to note about the fact that "some of them are still $30" is that most of the ones in that bracket are characters nobody wants. Any "big money players" in the franchise are gonna be like two hundred, generally.

Although I did get a Filmation Shadow Weaver for like $50 on BBTS, that was spiffy.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

A month or two ago I went to a comic shop out of town that was selling some for about 50$ I think. They were placed behind a counter, on a self so I didn't look at all of them but 50$ was the price I got my Adora for. I was going to other stores that day so I didn't grab more. Other shops I have went to don't usually have them, when they do they charge around 100$+. I will try to go back to that shop soon but I doubt they will have much left if at all.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

What does buck mean?

Not that I am trying to justify a 30k price tag for the complete collection... but most of us spent roughly 12-15k (including shipping) to get our collections from 2008-2020 (ending with snake mountain)

So to all those looking to grab this collection, let that price tag first sink in... ORIGINAL all in value was 12k to 15k over 12 years, sure the figures were originally $20... with $15 shipping, that jumped up to about $25 with $15 shipping, once S7 rolled around that became $35 with higher shipping as well, vehicles and beasts took steeper increases over the years, troop building, playsets, it all adds up, my personal collection is closer to the 15k mark with troops and stuff still in box from earlier waves when I was buying 2 of each (I sold most of the good doubles YEARS ago for half what its valued at now) so ask yourself how invested you wanna get. I love my collection, I won't be selling it unless it was a life or death situation, I am fortunate enough to not have to do that and I was fortunate enough to be able to collect the line all these years. some figures have broke, thats upsetting, theyre held together with glue, but thats not an uncommon issue with the earlier figures in this line, but most, 95% are in great shape.

with that said, is 30k too high? maybe... but if that person has everything I have? they're just asking for double their investment back
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Widget
    Man, remember when Matty dumped all their stock at Big Lots for $10 each? Those were good times!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    Not that I am trying to justify a 30k price tag for the complete collection... but most of us spent roughly 12-15k (including shipping) to get our collections from 2008-2020 (ending with snake mountain)

So to all those looking to grab this collection, let that price tag first sink in... ORIGINAL all in value was 12k to 15k over 12 years, sure the figures were originally $20... with $15 shipping, that jumped up to about $25 with $15 shipping, once S7 rolled around that became $35 with higher shipping as well, vehicles and beasts took steeper increases over the years, troop building, playsets, it all adds up, my personal collection is closer to the 15k mark with troops and stuff still in box from earlier waves when I was buying 2 of each (I sold most of the good doubles YEARS ago for half what its valued at now) so ask yourself how invested you wanna get. I love my collection, I won't be selling it unless it was a life or death situation, I am fortunate enough to not have to do that and I was fortunate enough to be able to collect the line all these years. some figures have broke, thats upsetting, theyre held together with glue, but thats not an uncommon issue with the earlier figures in this line, but most, 95% are in great shape.

with that said, is 30k too high? maybe... but if that person has everything I have? they're just asking for double their investment back
    I'm sure that a seller with a complete Classics collection could get far more then 30K if they sell figures individually rather than as a single lot.