Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's What If... ?

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    90's Marvel sucked though. The same decade that gave us the rise of Rob Liefeld, the Clone Saga, the worst Avengers uniforms ever ect.
    90s marvel was pretty bad in general, but I gotta agree with urrutiap about What If being pretty good.

Heroic Warrior
    It amazes me that in the mid late 1990s Marvel was BSing everyone about their bankruptcy nonsense and yet they were still making good story arcs for comic books for Spider-Man and Wolverine etc. Even back then in the early 1990s i didnt know they were stllll publishing Alpha Flight

Episode 1 was okay. I'm really bored with Captain America and related characters though, I'd rather see stories about the stranger and more quirky characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    It doesn't cater more more the movie fans, it caters solely for the movie fans, which is a far larger fanbase than the comics (and likely includes most of the comic fans too). It's not going to include animated versions of what ifs based on comic events.
    This.

There would be no connection for the casual viewer if they pulled stories from the comics... they typically involved obscure characters and deep cuts that wouldn't make sense to many people.

That said, I am in love with this show!

Episode 2 is incredible!! I was hooked -with a huge grin on my face- from beginning to end!

This is, without a doubt, my favorite of the D+ Marvel shows...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    90's Marvel sucked though. The same decade that gave us the rise of Rob Liefeld, the Clone Saga, the worst Avengers uniforms ever ect.
    90's hate is overrated. It also gave us Thunderbolts, New Warriors, Ghost Rider (ketch). 90's started out fantastic where everyone who had an idea for a character got a brand new solo series and new characters didn't have to just be 'mantles' passed on to other characters. 90's was one of my favorite comic decades ever.

yeah... it turned to crap by the end... and never really recovered. But early 90's through maybe '95 or so?? I'd still rather reread those books than I would modern crap.

Heroic Warrior
    Is started my comic journey in 1990 when I was 10 and the x-men absolutely hooked me. Over the years Iíve collected every title with an x in it. I even own a mint first addition giant size x-men 1. However I have stopped collecting comics now. Since Disney took over they have been releasing and reinventing the x-men over and over again.
    I never read or collected what ifÖ? But am familiar with its premise. So far Iím enjoying the show. I like the animation a lot. My partner and son who are fans of the mcu and have limited knowledge of the comics, only really knowing what I inform them of. They are both enjoying what if so far

Episode 1 was ok, I found it rushed and forced in a sort of way.

Episode 2 was awesome. I thought that the idea was quite stretched at first but they managed it to be awesome. I could not recognize Benicio Del Toro's voice though, it didn't sound like him... it's him, right? Again, I wished that episode would have lasted an hour; a heist at the Collector's vault was a great idea
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    90's hate is overrated. It also gave us Thunderbolts, New Warriors, Ghost Rider (ketch). 90's started out fantastic where everyone who had an idea for a character got a brand new solo series and new characters didn't have to just be 'mantles' passed on to other characters. 90's was one of my favorite comic decades ever.

yeah... it turned to crap by the end... and never really recovered. But early 90's through maybe '95 or so?? I'd still rather reread those books than I would modern crap.
    I generally think of Thunderbolts as a late 90's/early 2000's thing (along with the best Avengers run ever,) when I say 90's Marvel I mostly mean the early to mid 90's.

Heroic Warrior
    I generally think of Thunderbolts as a late 90's/early 2000's thing (along with the best Avengers run ever,) when I say 90's Marvel I mostly mean the early to mid 90's.
    And again... there's a lot of greatness in there. Heck, everything from Deadpool to Infinity Gauntlet means most of the MCU and biggest movie hits were born in the 90's X-men #1 came out in 1991 and propelled X-men to new heights. Midnight Sons was amazing and still some of my favorite books. Eric Masterson Thor was Jane-Thor done Right. Darkhawk, Quasar, Sleepwalker, Carnage, Gambit, Age of Apocolypse (not my favorite but a lot of people loved it...)

There were some truly TERRIBLE costumes like armored Cap and Fabio Thor, Armored Daredevil, and people got a bit hooked on pouches and big guns for some reason... but for every Clone Saga or Onslaught there was an Infinity Gauntlet.

Heck, i really miss the foil and holo covers too. At least back then the variant covers were fun to look at... now they're just showcases for Lego tie-in or all-Deadpool-month when Deadpool isn't in the book.

I think there was a big slump in quality around the 1996 or so... but pretty much the same problems we have now. People trying to 'modernize' or 'replace' classic heroes with 'what kids like now'... Didn't work then, doesn't work now. But there was way too much going on in the comic worlds to cast a whole 'It sucked' over the whole decade.

Even if that's what I like to do now

Heroic Warrior
    I think the current What If show or if it was done 10 years ago and based more on the old What If comic book then maybe i would watch the show if it had something interesting to actually watch like What if Peter Parker didn't get bit.

Then the show would actually be watched by older folk who grew up reading the old What If comic book.

the What If show show is based more on the stupid movies anyway so Ill pass

Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    I think the current What If show or if it was done 10 years ago and based more on the old What If comic book then maybe i would watch the show if it had something interesting to actually watch like What if Peter Parker didn't get bit.

Then the show would actually be watched by older folk who grew up reading the old What If comic book.
    You want to watch a show about a nerdy kid going to high school?

the What If show show is based more on the stupid movies anyway so Ill pass
    I'm pretty sure you don't actually believe this...

Heroic Warrior
    1990s Volume 2 of What If comic book had some of the best alternate timelines of certain story arcs or whatever of characters etc. Even though they did go overboard with What If tales for Wolverine and Spider-Man and Punisher like Punisher being an agent of SHIELD and him being sorry about killing Spider-Man when Punisher made his debut in the Marvel world.

Then theres some tale that got a bit dark and scary such as these

Peter Parker's son being a mutant and turning into an actual spider monster

Fantastic Four where their abilties ended up wrecking their bodies

and Mystique while adopting Rogue, had kept Nightcrawler hidden away in the attic because of how he looked

Wow... episode 3 was kind of dark.

Probably my least favorite of the three so far, but not because it was poorly animated or written... it just felt so melancholy.

Having Carol show up at the end though... that was awesome!

Haven't watched the show yet but I have seen the upcomming Marvel Legends figures based on the show and I am quite liking some of the character designs.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    90's hate is overrated
    The Clone Saga isn't even that bad, Marvel can't escape it's shadow any less than it can escape One More Day's shadow. And it gave us Spider-Girl, aka the only real ending Spider-Man will ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Haven't watched the show yet but I have seen the upcomming Marvel Legends figures based on the show and I am quite liking some of the character designs.
    Yeah, their entire What If...? wave of figures is solid (Sylvie probably being the most mediocre, for me), I went ahead and ordered the whole set... something I haven't done with Marvel Legends in a long, long time.

Zombie Hunter Spidey, Captain Carter and Zombie Cap look really good!

Heroic Warrior
    https://www.cbr.com/what-if-better-not-tied-mcu/

- - - Updated - - -

I told you that the What if show is a turn off for those who grew up reading the old comic book series.

The show does rely too damn much on the movies

and the What If show will start running out of ideas since the show is based more on the movies.

- - - Updated - - -

I told you that the What if show is a turn off for those who grew up reading the old comic book series.

and the What If show will start running out of ideas since the show is based more on the movies.
    Yes because an opinion peace/list by a website like CBR is truly the gospel on the matter..

Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Not to be too argumentative but the nature of the show with the multiverse kind of dictates they could never run out of ideas.

I'm having trouble getting into the What if... shows. For some reason I'm okay with there being a multiverse that explains the canonical changes that take place over time in a property, but I don't think I really like them crossing over and having multiple occurrences of the same character.

I know this might be a problem for me with the next phase of Marvel movies, but we'll see. I was okay with how it was handled in Loki, since the variations were dramatically different.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblanch View Post
    Not to be too argumentative but the nature of the show with the multiverse kind of dictates they could never run out of ideas.

There's also the fact that What If? likely isn't going to go in indefinitely, season one is only going 9 episodes long.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblanch View Post
    ^^^ Exactly!!!

I am definitely enjoying this show. I did read the comic but, I’m digging the tie-in with the movies. I’ve always loved the darker side of comics so, it’s right up my alley. The Dr Strange episode might actually be my favorite so far- maybe because

I’ve always preferred/wanted a more demented And tortured Strange

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly, I wasn't that big on this latest episode. Admittedly, I've never been a big Doctor Strange fan, especially not in the MCU, but idk, it was just boring. Like, the endless death thing felt like an edgy version of Groundhog Day and the vore/tentacle stuff was just off-putting.

Idk, this is probably the weakest episode imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Honestly, I wasn't that big on this latest episode. Admittedly, I've never been a big Doctor Strange fan, especially not in the MCU, but idk, it was just boring. Like, the endless death thing felt like an edgy version of Groundhog Day and the vore/tentacle stuff was just off-putting.

Idk, this is probably the weakest episode imo.
    I guess the pacing didnít bother me too much. The whole gaining power/life force could have been taken down a notch. I did enjoy the Carter episode but, my other favorite was the Star Lord/ TíChalla one. It was definitely faster paced and a bit of a more creative story. Had a lot more characters in it too.

Finally watched the first 4 episodes.

I really liked episode 1. Enjoyed Captain Carter and really liked the Hydra Stomper. This episode kind of reminded me of "Big Guy and Rust the Boy Robot."
    Enjiyed this episode so much I might have to get the Marvel Legends figures of Captain Carter and Hydra Stomper.

Epiosde 2 was okay. Wasn't keen on episode 3 or 4. 4 was especially quite boting overall and pretty much sums up why I hate Multiverse/time travel stories.