Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's What If... ?

I like them all... but, the first two episodes are definitely the strongest so far.

I think it's great that almost all of the characters have the actors reprising their roles for the latest episode.

Also,

I think that there is a connection with the tentacles from episode one and those in episode four...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Also...
    I thought it was supposed to be

Alveus/Hive from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I thought it was supposed to be
    There are actually rumors that

it's Shuma-Gorath being called through space and time.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    There are actually rumors that
    I suppose it could be, but

Hydra was formed to bring the tentacled Alveus/Hive to Earth.

So it's the zombie episode tomorrow.

Am I the only one who's not a fan of them doing three dark/downer episodes in a row?

This really seems like the kind of thing you should space out more.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    So it's the zombie episode tomorrow.

Am I the only one who's not a fan of them doing three dark/downer episodes in a row?

This really seems like the kind of thing you should space out more.
    Just depends on how it's written, hopefully its not as bland and boring as the previous two episodes.

Holy God's! Episode 5 is awesome!!

I love how it uses so many classic zombie movie tropes throughout, and knows that it is....

The team of "survivors" is fantastic... I would love an add-on mission for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 based solely on this premise!

Also, this episode is pretty brutal... it doesn't hold many punches. I could see some children having nightmares after watching.

But, there is plenty of comedy too...

"Don't you have zombie movies in Wakanda?"

"No, we have American reality shows."

Episode 5 is odd. There is definitely some stuff I like about it but there is some stuff I wasn't keen on.
    As much as I do like horror movies I was never keen on zombie movies. I dislike them almost as much as time travel stories.
    I really think this story could have worked better if it was a bit longer or in two parts as I would have liked to see a proper ending to the story.
    The end scene was pretty amazing and would look amazing in a live action movie.

The "What If...?" series has been very strange so far.
    Episode 1 was amazing and episode 2 was fun but 3-5 were odd.
    It's hard to think someone at Marvel/Disney actually read these scripts and thought yeah these animated episodes are just want people want.
    The amount of heroes being killed makes me think Kevin Smith might have been on the writing team.

Last 2 episodes were quite dark and not in a good way.
    Dr Stange's is a bit confusing in terms of alternate universes split and very out of character to be so obsessive, or at least it is not shown gradually how he may turn out that way.

Marvel Zombies for me was one of the worst stories I've ever read, and even last episode is way better in terms of plot and character caring, again it seemed that some resolutions seemed rushed or unexplained. The episode would have been way better if Bucky vs Zombie Cap would have had more drama
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

I've loved all of these episodes so far. My still biggest problem is that they aren't longer to really dive deeper into the concepts, show more details, and give more character moments room to breathe.

If I had to choose a weaker episode, it would have to be the Avengers one. It was still good, but it just didn't hit me as strongly as the others. But different people will respond to different episodes differently... that comes with an anthology series.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

I’m loving every dark moment of this series. I didn’t go into expecting cannon or some family friendly show that keeps it exactly like the comics- I was hoping they would take it farther. I feel like Disney has always had its very dark moments

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Episode 5 is odd. There is definitely some stuff I like about it but there is some stuff I wasn't keen on.
    As much as I do like horror movies I was never keen on zombie movies. I dislike them almost as much as time travel stories.
    I really think this story could have worked better if it was a bit longer or in two parts as I would have liked to see a proper ending to the story.
    The end scene was pretty amazing and would look amazing in a live action movie.
    One of my favorite parts of the What If franchise was that they were single issues. One and done stories. They didn't need to drag out for 6 months. I'll agree that I'd like the episodes to be a little longer, but I really don't want multiple episodes for each story. that just shortens things too much. Noticed that with the AHS anthology. Only 6 episodes and the first one was a 2 parter... really takes the wind out of 'series'.

The "What If...?" series has been very strange so far.
    Episode 1 was amazing and episode 2 was fun but 3-5 were odd.
    It's hard to think someone at Marvel/Disney actually read these scripts and thought yeah these animated episodes are just want people want.
    The amount of heroes being killed makes me think Kevin Smith might have been on the writing team.
    In this way it REALLY captures the feel of the comic. That was never a series I could subscribe to. I'd pick and choose whatever scenario or main character sounded interesting, skip the 'duds'. ANd there were a lot of duds.

That said, one of the 'themes' of the 'What If' concept... was that we were already living the best world possible. The heroes won and did what was best. And in any situation where something could have changed, or if some personal tragedy was actually erased.... Things actually turned out worse. There were a few 'happily ever after' types... but they were the vast minority. So some of these stories being straight up bloodbaths is pretty on par.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    ...In this way it REALLY captures the feel of the comic. That was never a series I could subscribe to. I'd pick and choose whatever scenario or main character sounded interesting, skip the 'duds'. ANd there were a lot of duds...
    I know nothing about the "What If...?" comics.

Are the episodes based on the comics?

If the epsiodes aren't based on the comics, it's quite strange and disappointing that these are the best they could do with something you would think would give them a lot of creative freedom to create really exciting stories.

Heroic Warrior
    I know nothing about the "What If...?" comics.

Are the episodes based on the comics?

If the epsiodes aren't based on the comics, it's quite strange and disappointing that these are the best they could do with something you would think would give them a lot of creative freedom to create really exciting stories.
    Nah... Marvel Zombies was alternate storyline that exists, but wasn't in a What If series. I can see where they got that idea. But at it's core, What If is just about changing one decision somewhere and following the new continutiy. What If the world Knew Daredevil was Blind... What If Punisher Killed Daredevil.... What If Spider-man joined the Fantastic Four... What if Peter Parker was never bitten by the spider... Lot of fun ideas, and some that weren't interesting.

I can understand them sticking with the MCU here, because the core background of What If, is that you have to have a common continuity that fans all know in order to deviate from. Makes the universe feel smaller, but I can understand it. I do wish they'd just introduce FF or X-men into it but I'm sure the want to match the looks and actors they'll eventually get... but it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Nah... Marvel Zombies was alternate storyline that exists, but wasn't in a What If series. I can see where they got that idea. But at it's core, What If is just about changing one decision somewhere and following the new continutiy. What If the world Knew Daredevil was Blind... What If Punisher Killed Daredevil.... What If Spider-man joined the Fantastic Four... What if Peter Parker was never bitten by the spider... Lot of fun ideas, and some that weren't interesting.

I can understand them sticking with the MCU here, because the core background of What If, is that you have to have a common continuity that fans all know in order to deviate from. Makes the universe feel smaller, but I can understand it. I do wish they'd just introduce FF or X-men into it but I'm sure the want to match the looks and actors they'll eventually get... but it is what it is
    I think it made sense to set it in the MCU but I still think they could have come up with something a bit more interesting and exciting.

Disney really need to make some FF and X-Men movies.

Heroic Warrior
    True fans of What If like me prefer the old comic book series. Us older fans of the comic series either grew up with Volume 1 which ran during the late 1970s to early 1980 and it had some decent alternate stories that involved alot of Conan, Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man.

1990s Volume 2 of What If really had the best stories such as an alternate Operation Galactic Storm, Barbara Ketch being Ghost Rider, alot of X-Men stuff, alot of alternate tales of Captain America, a good issue involving What if Hulk killed Wolverine, Punisher being a SHIELD agent, some dark stuff like Peter Parker having son that was a mutant that turned into a mutant spider monster kid who ran off to Xavier's school or whatever.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    True fans of What If like me...
    True fans would never use the term “true fans” to describe themselves as true fans…
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    True fans would never use the term “true fans” to describe themselves as true fans…
    Only a true fan would say that...

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Only a true fan would say that...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

True fans of What If like me prefer the old comic book series. Us older fans of the comic series either grew up with Volume 1 which ran during the late 1970s to early 1980 and it had some decent alternate stories that involved alot of Conan, Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man.
    It's not a matter of preference.

What If...? is probably the most fluid and versatile concept in production right now. Literally anything can happen.

The reason the D+ show is using the MCU versions of these characters is because they are recognizable to both casual and hardcore fans. If Disney decided to throw Forbush man and Zzzax into a show, most viewers couldn't relate to the characters and the whole show suffers...

I am really enjoying this series, and I hope that it continues as more movies are added to the MCU.

Side note... if you really were a "true fan," you would have known that in the ol' Marvel circles, we're actually known as "True Believers!"

Heroic Warrior
    Here's an example of actual good old What If stories from the old first Volume

https://www.cbr.com/what-if-storylines-too-dark-mcu/

Here's an example of actual good old What If stories from the old first Volume

https://www.cbr.com/what-if-storylines-too-dark-mcu/
    Why do you keep posting CBR articles? CBR is a laughing stock.

And said article itself is pretty laughable, since it lists a bunch of stories that are either no darker than (or in some cases less dark) than episodes 4 and 5 of the What If? show.

Heroic Warrior
    the stupid show is based more on the stupid movies. The show is catered more for people who only know about the Guardians from the stupid movies too by the way.

You keep calling them stupid movies, but they have better consistent quality than the comics have had in 30 years.

And yes how dare they cater their show to the people who will make up 99% it's viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    You keep calling them stupid movies, but they have better consistent quality than the comics have had in 30 years.

And yes how dare they cater their show to the people who will make up 99% it's viewers.
    Listen, those stupid movies are the main reason the real comics are still around. True fans know the comics should have died a while back because they weren't making any money. True fans don't like new stuff and wanted this to happen. But these stupid multi-billion dollar movies come along and all these non-fans started like them. Comics have pretty much been ruined now because they make enough money to continue and have other merchandise produced. True fans know this is all bad for comics and their legacy.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."