Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Films you enjoyed as a kid

Films you enjoyed as a kid

I was looking up this film I watched as a kid, couldn't remember the name, then I found it - "The Last Starfighter"!

That, along with The Neverending Story, and Flight of the Navigator, were films I enjoyed as a kid.

What films did you enjoy watching?

3 Movies hooked me up: Jurassic Park's Lost World, The Lion King, and T2 Judgment Day. two of the movies weren't recommended due for R rated. Gotta say it's even though not a movie, the laser disc I really love re-watching was actually Michael Jackson's Dangerous, with full music videos and behind the scenes, on why I'm all into music documentary like Sound City, Spinal Tap (A comedy Mockumentary), Sonic Highways. I am yet to touch Anvil documentary to be honest.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Aside from the Star Wars movies I loved White Water Summer, Home Alone, Ghostbusters 1 + 2, Gremlins 1 + 2, Commando, Blues Brothers, Karate Kid, Teen Wolf, Short Circuit 1 + 2, Captain America (1990), MOTU and the TMNT movies.
    Last edited by Mark M; July 11, 2021 at 03:45pm.

Wayyyy too many as the 80's is where it's at to this day IMO with movies. So many of them still hold up to this day.

Just a few that immediately come to mind that I don't see listed yet. Predator, Back to the Futures, *almost* but not all anything Schwarzenegger and Stallone so yea Predator, Indiana Jones, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, ET, Goonies, Gremlins, Christmas Story, Big, Highlander. So many though....

Heroic Warrior
    ET, jaws, goonies, tron, watership down, flight of the navigator, frog dreaming, the explorers, secret of the sword, little monsters, neverending story, dark Crystal, legend just to name a few of the movies I loved as kid. There’s really a whole lot more. And tbh I still enjoy these films as an adult

A good chunk of the films I have now are the ones I enjoyed as a kid but the one I enjoyed the most, and is still my favourite film now, is Yellow Submarine and I donít class myself as a Beatles fan either.

Police academy (My parents let me watch it)

The Toy (Richard Pryor)

Legend (Tom Cruise)
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Loved Flight of the Navigator when I was younger. And latched onto Iron Giant when it first came out.

Labyrinth was a lot of fun too. Used to sing all the songs
    Last edited by Asher Tye; July 11, 2021 at 03:09am.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Superman II -- I had it on VHS from a very young age and from then through my teens I easily watched it over 100 times

Some others I watched dozens of times were Ghostbusters, Alice in Wonderland (Disney animated), the GI Joe movie (the one with Cobra La) and American Ninja.

Didn't have a lot of channels so I ended up rewarching my vhs tapes a lot

The movies I watched over and over again as a kid (to the point I burned out the VHS tape it was one):

All three original Star Wars movies
    Gremlins
    The Last Starfighter
    Teen Wolf
    The Blues Brothers
    Masters of the Universe
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Temple of Doom
    ET
    Star Trek IV The Voyage Home
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure
    Karate Kid
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Footloose
    The Goonies
    Back to the Future
    Ghostbusters
    The Three Amigos
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Way too many to name...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Way too many to name...
    Exactly. If I named all the films I enjoyed as a kid I would be here all day typing. I aint got time for that.

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    All of the above. I have some other favorites I didn't see mentioned though. You can't forget Rambo, Rocky, Conan, Red Sonja, Princess Bride, Robin Hood Men in Tights. And all the awesome Tim Burton movies like BEETLEJUICE, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, and of course Batman!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Exactly. If I named all the films I enjoyed as a kid I would be here all day typing. I aint got time for that.
    Yeah I'm now realizing this as I keep thinking of more.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Mmm... I can tell you which one have more impact on me since it was watching them at the theater and then maybe have the option to watch them again many years later, since I did not have a VHS....
    So...
    The Great Escape
    Dirty Dozen
    Superman & Superman III
    Star Wars
    Tron
    Baby
    Back to the Future
    Last Starfighter
    Rad
    D.A.R.Y.L
    Gremlins
    The Fly
    Predator
    RoboCop
    Die Hard
    Batman
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    all of 1980s I was pretty much a kid so my personal favorite movies are

Super Fuzz
    Pirates of Penzance
    Krull
    Black Cauldron
    Monster Squad
    Lost Boys
    Once Bitten
    Saturday the 14th
    Sea Gypsies
    The Hitcher
    Porky's
    Porky's 2
    the original Pee Wee Herman broadway comedy show on HBO before Big Adventure came along
    C.H.U.D.
    Conan the Destroyer
    Dune
    Return of the Jedi
    Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan
    The Stuff
    Halloween III
    Hellraiser
    Hellraiser 2
    Critters
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Nightmare on Elm Street 2 which would debut on HBO alot
    Nightmare on Elm Street 3
    Muppets Take Manhattan
    Innerspace
    Dreamscape
    Santa Claus the Movie
    Annie
    Odd Jobs
    Haunted Honeymoon

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    I was looking up this film I watched as a kid, couldn't remember the name, then I found it - "The Last Starfighter"!

That, along with The Neverending Story, and Flight of the Navigator, were films I enjoyed as a kid.

I loved the Last Starfighter! I also really liked Enemy Mine. I watched the heck out of the Ewok Movie on VHS too lol.

The Wizard!!

I remember how excited I was for the Super Mario Bros 3 game to be released, and to be able to see the game featured and played in the movie before the actual release of the game was just mind blowing as a kid.

Heroic Warrior
    Most of what's been listed already, but I absolutely loved Pound Puppies: The Legend of Big Paw and for many a year considered it the best animated movie based on a toy property besides Transformers: The Movie

Heroic Warrior
    oh yeah i forgot to mention the oddball live action movies of a few things from back then in the 1980s

My Pet Monster had a short movie
    even the old song Purple People Eater had a movie during the 1980s with Kirk Cameron and Ned Beatty
    I dont remember much about the first old Care Bears 1 movie anymore but i do remember it being a little dark and scary
    Three Stooges popularity was rising in the 1980s where a weird movie was in video rental stores. Stoogemania was the name of the move I think

Saturday the 14th 1 and 2 were kid friendly horror movies for kids to get kids introduced to a lighter version of scary monsters

Movies that were a BIG DEAL for me include all the STAAR Wars Trilogy, the Ewok movies, Indiana Jones, The Rocketeer, TMNT, MOTU Ď87, The Land Before Time, An American Tale, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Batman Ď89, Batman Returns, **** Tracy, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, Hook, and Robin Good: Prince of Thieves.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Willow was always a favorite. Hard to believe he turned into such a horrible person in Leprechaun.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

"Airplane!"

It's one of the funniest movies ever made and stars the incomparable Julie Hagerty, but that's not important right now...
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which is a pity because this week the National Association of Beholders wrote to tell me that I've got a face like a rucksack full of dented bells.
    (Charlie Brooker)

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    The Wizard!!

I remember how excited I was for the Super Mario Bros 3 game to be released, and to be able to see the game featured and played in the movie before the actual release of the game was just mind blowing as a kid.
    I remember how cool the power glove looked haha

Masters Of The Universe will always be one of my favourite movies! I think that was my first vividly remembered cinematic experience as a kid so it made a wonderful impression on me!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Return to Oz, those Wheelers and Mombi and her hall of interchangeable heads were scary for a small child.
    I am not nice, I am not kind, and I am not wonderful.