Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: G.I.JOE Ultimates by Super7

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I think "pointless" may be a little harsh, but they do seem super niche. These aren't even for all hardcore G.I. Joe fans; they're for hardcore G.I. Joe fans that really love the cartoon (most likely more so than any other iteration of the franchise) and have plenty of money to spend (and of course, as always, space). I mean, even given those parameters, I'm pretty much right there in the realm of that niche audience (well, except the space part, but I'm starting to embrace hoarderism ) and even I didn't really give these much thought. As I've said before, this would have been the perfect toy line for me as a kid (minus about $50+, of course ), but it's not really my preference in G.I. Joe now. If I had unlimited money and space, sure, I'd pick these up; they are very cool for what they are. Even in that hypothetical situation, however, I would see these as a secondary G.I. Joe line (behind Classified) that was specifically in appreciation of the cartoon. In reality, I personally can't imagine buying into two 6"+ G.I. Joe lines OR choosing a $55 option over a comparable (if not better) $25 one. I mean, I'm happy for those that do like the line that much; it's just not a sentiment I share even as a fellow G.I. Joe fan.
    When A Real American Hero debuted, I was two years old. I was unable to read the comic book, so my entry point into the franchise was the animated series, and my interests reflect that. These are the figures I wanted as a child (although I would prefer them in the 3.75" scale so they would be compatible with the vintage vehicles and playsets).

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Brian clarified this in a recent interview. He said that while the characters' looks from the classic Sunbow cartoon are their main focus, they can and will pull from other media sources as well, such as the comics.
    People seem to like it I guess; it just seems really weird to me. It would be like releasing a set of all four turtles in red bandanas in the cartoon-style line. It's just a strange combination of things that don't even make sense together in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    When A Real American Hero debuted, I was two years old. I was unable to read the comic book, so my entry point into the franchise was the animated series, and my interests reflect that. These are the figures I wanted as a child (although I would prefer them in the 3.75" scale so they would be compatible with the vintage vehicles and playsets).
    I'm slightly younger than you, and my experience was likely almost identical (at least as a kid). I think this kind of goes to my point: even within the relatively narrow target demographic of people who grew up with the G.I. Joe cartoon and collect expensive action figures, this line will likely be hit (like with you) or miss (like with me) depending on people's particular G.I. Joe predilections.

I wonder how successful S7's G.I. Joe and Transformers lines will be because of this. While I think G.I. Joe and Transformers are obviously more popular than Silverhawks and Thundercats, it seems to me that the Silverhawks and Thundercats lines would (if done well) appeal to pretty much all action figure collecting fans of those properties. Those are pretty much the definitive versions of those characters and there are no other lines to compete with them. Of course, in the end, a G.I. Joe niche nesting doll may still be more lucrative than Silverhawks.

I'm older but can say that prior to the cartoon, all I cared about where the vehicles. The cartoon was what really gave depth to a lot of what are now my favorite characters. I can't even imagine anyone trying to picture Cobra Commander's personality outside of the cartoon!

The only reason I'm not collecting this entire line is money. There's just SO much stuff coming out all at the same time. I can't afford it all.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I don't believe Arashikage was ever mentioned in the cartoon.
    The Arashikage tattoo arm is a reference to the comic issue "Silent Interlude" #21.
    Correct. that arm is a direct homage to comic 21 and I have wanted that represented in toy form my whole life. It is just iconic to me and of course I also have that tat on my arm as well lol
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Also, great to see Doc - I wasn't expecting to see a non-core guy quite so soon, but I always liked him and he looks great.

Doc is the one character from this wave I'm the most excited about. He's always been one of my favorites. I think he was like my 3rd or 4th figure I got in the vintage line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Considering the new more Classics direction Classified is going the Super 7 figures seem really pointles in compariosson.
    I kind of feel the same way but the renders just look so good. I'm still "IN" on this line for now but Hasbro's offerings are really making me loose just a bit of interest in this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Doc is the one character from this wave I'm the most excited about. He's always been one of my favorites. I think he was like my 3rd or 4th figure I got in the vintage line.
    This is surprising to hear when the rest of the wave consists of Scarlett, Storm Shadow and a Cobra Trooper! (Probably the three most requested characters after Snake Eyes.)

Nothing wrong with it of course, just surprising to me.

I kind of feel the same way but the renders just look so good. I'm still "IN" on this line for now but Hasbro's offerings are really making me loose just a bit of interest in this line.
    Yes, if the actual figures turn out like these CG renders... we are in for a treat.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Correct. that arm is a direct homage to comic 21 and I have wanted that represented in toy form my whole life. It is just iconic to me and of course I also have that tat on my arm as well lol
    Cool. It's a very cool design. I engrarved it onto a set on nunchaku/nunchucks.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3D renderings look great, hopefully the actual production figures will look just as good.
    I am just collecting Classified but depending on how the Ultimates turn out I might get some of my favourites.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Would you have wanted an Arashikage hexagram alternate forearm on the Snake Eyes in this line?

It's interesting to hear the varying takes of different fans on this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is surprising to hear when the rest of the wave consists of Scarlett, Storm Shadow and a Cobra Trooper! (Probably the three most requested characters after Snake Eyes.)

Nothing wrong with it of course, just surprising to me.
    It's just my personal taste plus I remember when my grandfather bought him for me for my birthday. It was Doc, Major Bludd, Soundwave, and Grimlock! Talk about a great birthday!!

Plus I really didn't expect to ever get him in this line or even Classified. Life Line always seems to overshadow Doc for some reason. I figured we'd get him instead of Doc first. Doc was a GREAT surprise. Scarlett, Storm Shadow and a Cobra Trooper were a given for this line...but not Doc.

It's just my personal taste plus I remember when my grandfather bought him for me for my birthday. It was Doc, Major Bludd, Soundwave, and Grimlock! Talk about a great birthday!!

Plus I really didn't expect to ever get him in this line or even Classified. Life Line always seems to overshadow Doc for some reason. I figured we'd get him instead of Doc first. Doc was a GREAT surprise. Scarlett, Storm Shadow and a Cobra Trooper were a given for this line...but not Doc.
    Good point! I also thought that Life Line would come first... but, Doc had a stronger cartoon presence, so it makes sense in retrospect.

BTW, AWESOME birthday!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Would you have wanted an Arashikage hexagram alternate forearm on the Snake Eyes in this line?

It's interesting to hear the varying takes of different fans on this line.
    yeah, absolutely I would want that.
    cogito ergo doleo

Heroic Warrior
    Roadblock and Mutt (with Junkyard) got real Reaction variants for April Fools with packaging and filecards based on the PSAs. I'd say odds just jumped up we'll see both soon as Ultimates given their early placement in the Reaction line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Good point! I also thought that Life Line would come first... but, Doc had a stronger cartoon presence, so it makes sense in retrospect.

BTW, AWESOME birthday!!
    I think if you take the second season as its own thing, Lifeline had the bigger presence.

In Season 2, you only really have about six main characters: Shipwreck, Lifeline, Quick Kick, Lowlight, Mainframe, and Sarge. It's very focused on a small number of characters and they get fleshed out with almost serial plots.

S7 seems very focused on the early cartoon though.

Flynn seems surprised every time an interviewer brings up Shipwreck, which tells me Flynn's focus is more on the miniseries. In terms of the main show, nobody is a bigger star than Shipwreck. Not even Duke or Snake Eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret View Post
    I think if you take the second season as its own thing, Lifeline had the bigger presence.

In Season 2, you only really have about six main characters: Shipwreck, Lifeline, Quick Kick, Lowlight, Mainframe, and Sarge. It's very focused on a small number of characters and they get fleshed out with almost serial plots.

S7 seems very focused on the early cartoon though.

Flynn seems surprised every time an interviewer brings up Shipwreck, which tells me Flynn's focus is more on the miniseries. In terms of the main show, nobody is a bigger star than Shipwreck. Not even Duke or Snake Eyes.
    I enjoyed Wet-Suit and Leatherneck.

Heroic Warrior
    The line is pointless because Hasbro has Classified. There's no excuse for the IP owner to not do these in their own in their own line for such things. If you're that hard up for 100% toon accuracy, you're part of why we get garbage like trailer body Menasor instead of something that looks good. Those toons were drawn on strict budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    The line is pointless because Hasbro has Classified. There's no excuse for the IP owner to not do these in their own in their own line for such things. If you're that hard up for 100% toon accuracy, you're part of why we get garbage like trailer body Menasor instead of something that looks good. Those toons were drawn on strict budgets.
    This post is pointless cause not everyone has the same preferences. There's no excuse for you to dictate what people can like and what they can't like. If you're that hard up to come on this board and make posts like this ridiculing your fellow board members, than you've got bigger problems than worrying about a specific toy line.
    Last edited by Bonehead; April 13, 2022 at 07:06pm.

As it has happened with many other Ultimates lines from S7, BBTS has sent me a notification that wave 1 has been pushed back to October and wave 2 to December.
    I do really like to see any advanced review of this line and check if S7 would continue working on it.

At this stage, I'm also fearing that S7 would become a bubble with an imminent explosion to happen leaving so many pre-orders unfulfilled...
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    As it has happened with many other Ultimates lines from S7, BBTS has sent me a notification that wave 1 has been pushed back to October and wave 2 to December.
    I do really like to see any advanced review of this line and check if S7 would continue working on it.

At this stage, I'm also fearing that S7 would become a bubble with an imminent explosion to happen leaving so many pre-orders unfulfilled...
    I want to give Super 7 the benefit of the doubt... I really do.

But, at this point, it's not even funny anymore... and it really is derogatory toward their customers.

I can promise you that any announcements / pre-orders that Super 7 shows at SDCC (and I'm sure there will be many) will be years ahead of actual, physical products being made/received.

A part of me wishes that they would just keep a lid on their future projects... but, then they would lose their relevancy. They relish the feedback that they get on social media, both positive and negative (mostly negative...) It keeps the company in the public eye.

I got the notices too. Not really surprised here after the TMNT emails a few days ago.

Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar
    I ordered some SDCC B.A.T.s off eBay last week and opened the first one tonight. A very nice and solid figure all around! This is going to be a fun line to collect!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I ordered some SDCC B.A.T.s off eBay last week and opened the first one tonight. A very nice and solid figure all around! This is going to be a fun line to collect!
    They're up on BBTS now too.