• 31-40

10 30.30%
  • 41-50

15 45.45%
  • 51-60

3 9.09%
  • 61+

1 3.03%

Thread: How old are the MOTU fans here? (2021 Edition)

How old are the MOTU fans here? (2021 Edition)

Please vote for the age group you fall in. Feel free to comment your actual age, what started your MOTU fandom, etc.

P.S. This post/poll was inspired by the older 2007 thread. It probably would be helpful to see more recent results.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Heroic Warrior
    voted.

What started my MOTU fandom? Don't remember exactly. Either the Filmation toon or the vintage toys. Whatever I saw first I imagine.

In 1982 when the toys came out I was 10. Hadn't (quite) turned 11.

I don't know the demographic Mattel was going for so I don't know if I was on the later end of their range or not. Would be interesting to know.

I guess what attracted me to the toon (same for GI Joe & Transformers) was I was in awe. The never seen this before and this is cool.

I guess the same with the vintage toys. As I've said before and I'll keep on saying it. I was more of a fan of the character's/figure's gimmick. And that swivel twisting action.

Why am I still attached to Masters after all these years. err decades? Nostalgia and rose colored glasses.

80's toys and toons was lightning in a bottle. Guess, maybe, we have deregulation and Ronald Reagan to thank.

Thanks midor!

I also couldn't remember which I was introduced to first, the toys or the cartoon. Doing the math, I was only 4 in 1982 so that explains a lot of why those memories are so faint/foggy. Also matches me thinking Kobra Khan was my first figure and introduction to the property at 6 with him in wave 3 released in 1984.

As a kid I really loved animals, especially reptiles and snakes. Add on a water spray feature and Khan was designed specifically for me and my tastes. The mini comic probably exposed me to the other characters and the cartoon would have only expanded on it all.

Nostalgia is probably a large factor for me as well. MOTU was pretty much my first collectable obsession. But the mini comics was also a big factor introducing me to storytelling, characterization, and shaping my artistic tastes.

Although I enjoyed other properties from that time (GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Star Wars, etc), none of those were as important or affected me so completely as MOTU did.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

23 years old. I got into the hobby after watching the cartoon on youtube during my downtime. One skeletor and He-Man origins later, I ended up getting the whole line of origins.

Got into it just in time to be disappointed by revelation
    Let's talk Mega Construx!

Heroic Warrior
    41 here.

I was a little kid back in 1982 to 1983 when Star Wars Return of the Jedi was announced to be in theaters along with reairings of Raiders of the Lost Ark on HBO back then I think.

1982-1983 for us older folk, it was hard for us back then since were just little kids that knew nothing about action figures basically. yeah my parents got me a few Star Wars, GI Joe, Power Lords, Transformers etc a year later but still....

Even back then i was too little to even know about Marvel Comics Star Wars etc until I was a year older then I got into Power Pack, Alpha Flight, old Uncanny X-Men stuff that was around at the time, GI Joe comic book and little bit of Iron Man too I think

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    Although I enjoyed ALL THE other properties from that time (GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Star Wars, etc), none of those were as important or affected me so completely as MOTU did.
    This was me. I wanted to collect every toy line I saw. Never found one that didn't at least somewhat interest me. But MOTU was "it". I ended up owning most of the original collection. To this day it's still my favorite. And I'm one of those fans that never really got into the Filmation series. I watched it religiously though, always waiting to see new character appear (often disappointed ).
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

30 years old, was introduced to the franchise by a couple of my uncle's discarded action figures that I played with as a kid, and then by the MYP cartoon, got exposed to other incarnations through the magic of the Internet and used bookstores.

Never bought or owned a single toy, and never wanted to, so I'm well aware that I'm the kind of fan Mattel DOESN'T want.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

38, going on 39 in September.

Since I was born in 1982, I honestly don't remember HOW it was that I got into MOTU, I just remember that it's always been there. It was honestly probably my Dad who got me into it; there's pictures of me at a year or two old playing with He-Man toys and wearing He-Man shirts, but I doubt that I was actively pointing them out and asking for them at Age 1. I do have memories from that time, believe it or not, like coming home from the store with Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain, or my sister getting mad while she was babysitting me and throwing my Beast Man figure out the window one night, never to be found, or Sy-Klone's hologram falling out in the snow, lost forever. But they're hazy memories. I just know that MOTU was literally always part of my life from pretty much Day 1. It was my very first Favorite Thing.

I had roughly half of the original toy line, most of the softcover Golden books, some of the role-play toys like the He-Man and Skeletor dress-up kits with the plastic armor and swords... that blue-green cassette player with He-Man and Skeletor on it, I used that thing so much it broke... some of the book-and-record sets... a couple posters... I know I was He-Man for Halloween one year when I was either 3 or 4, with one of those terrible "plastic smock" costumes and the cheap plastic mask... coloring books, jigsaw puzzles... and I was always drawing the characters. Once upon a time when I was like 5, one of the posters had a character checklist on the back of it and I drew every character in marker (poorly) and stapled it all together into a booklet, that took me like most of a weekend. Also, my Dad used to read me the mini-comics and Golden books before bed a lot, which was a big part of how I could read pretty well before I was even 5.

I'm almost positive I got the toys before I ever saw the cartoon, but I watched the cartoons every day, multiple times a day, right up until they finally took it off the air in 1990 or whenever. I immediately saw a ton of differences between the cartoon and the books and comics I'd seen, but I was pretty "whatever" about it. I liked the slightly-"darker" aesthetic of the books and mini-comics more but I still loved the show. It was a great time to be alive; some channel like WPIX 11 would play an hour or more of the cartoon in the morning, and then USA Network would play an hour or so of different episodes later in the day. In-between I'd re-read the books, play with my toys, or both.

I never lost interest or grew out of it; one day it just wasn't there anymore, and I was too young to understand why. I never stopped caring or being a fan, there just weren't any toys to buy or cartoons to watch, anymore. Nobody asked ME before they took it away, and it really upset me. Life goes on, of course, and I was into other things too so it's not like I wasn't able to just have fun with other things. But MOTU going away was the First Big Disappointment of my life, and it cut me deeply.

Years have gone by where I had all my books and toys in a box and never looked at them, and years have gone by where I didn't watch the cartoons or the movie. But my emotional investment has never waned one bit. I still have the same feeling for the brand that I had at 3, 4, 5 years old. That never changed.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    38, going on 39 in September.

Since I was born in 1982, I honestly don't remember HOW it was that I got into MOTU, I just remember that it's always been there...
    I'm almost the exact same age as you (my birthday is in August), so your story is similar to mine. I honestly don't remember a time without G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Motu (even though I am slightly older than Transformers). I think the '85 wave of these toy lines already existed as I was getting into these brands, but I distinctly remember the "new" '86 lines "coming out". That means I was deeply invested in all three of these lines by the time I was 3 years old.

Maybe it's just my anecdotal experience, but the kids I've been around nowadays either seem incapable of appreciating cartoons and toys that "advanced" at that age, or either parents roadblock their kids from even trying. Honestly, I think it's a combination of the two; parents push simplistic concepts instead of challenging kids which over time creates a child that favors more simplistic entertainment. When I was either about-to-turn-four or had-just-turned-four, I saw numerous Transformers including Optimus get brutally killed, and then got a Hot Rod figure after the movie was over. I can't imagine any of the kids that age that I've been around being able to deal with either of those two things: the movie or an 80s Transformers toy. I mean, I had been playing with G.I. Joes for about a year at that point and not even losing any of the pieces; the kids I know that age decapitate solid plastic Mario characters on Mario Kart Hot Wheels.

Heroic Warrior
    Even though i was a young little kid back in the day when Masters of the Universe toys just started, i remember having a couple of the old Masters of the Universe fan club type magazines that came in the mail or whatever they were. That and later on during 1985 or 1986 my parents would order a couple of those Scholastic book order red colored VHS tapes of Masters of the Universe and those Happy rabbit vhs tapes

32, going to be 33, I'm too old to be a soccer players nowadays

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

This is me in January 1984. My birthday is the 10th so I would’ve been almost 4 or just turned 4. Trap Jaw, Triklops, Battle Cat, Panthor, Zodac, Man At Arms, Beastman, Merman, Man E Faces... and a nibbled on apple. Also the Trap Jaw here is still in my posession from this very day. Albeit he has seen some things over the last 37+ years.
    Last edited by DadStrong; August 12, 2021 at 12:02pm.
    Instagram: dadhausen

There was a time where my family couldn't pay for cable so I mainly watched this channel called Qubo. In the night they would play some Filmation series although the only one I saw was He-man. I'm pretty sure I liked it but I can't tell you any reason why I did at the time. Once I got cable I moved on and MOTU just became a memory and joke. Part of the reason might have been because I would fall asleep during episodes sometimes, although I remembered Faker for some reason.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

these days......too old ( carrying around 30 years of martial arts injuries and forty years worth of cheap shots from life).

i can remember he man from back when i was about 6 or 7 back in its 80's heyday, the new adventures cartoon and jumped into the deep end when the 200x cartoon and toys came out. discovered the org. spent way too much on customs fees and shipping with motuc classics and am now enjoying origins and trying to collect masters of the wwe universe via ebay as its not appeared in the uk.

so been buying motu in the shops in my 6-10's. my 20's ( online in my 30's) and now my 40's.
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin