Thread: Origins Style Conan the Adventurer

Origins Style Conan the Adventurer

I'm a mid-80s kid, with overlap between original MOTU figures and the Filmation shows in syndication, along with early 90s shows. With the Origins line, I'm going to try to create customs of other shows to fit in with the actual Origins figures. A bit of Masters of the Cartoon Universe setting.

With some of the MotWWE figures, I have a lot of parts I can acquire, even though Origins, itself, is hard to come by. I'm starting with Conan the Adventurer.

I decided to use an Ultimate Warrior figure as the base.

I was able to remove the hair with multiple immersions in hot-water and deft application of force. Getting his face paint off was an absolute nightmare, though. I had to soak the head in a 50/50 acetone/IPA bath overnight. Even with that, the face paint was extremely durable and it took a lot of rubbing with aggressive Q-TIP twirling to get everything off. There was some mild damage from all of this roughness, but the head looks pretty good, overall.

I used black RIT dye and was able to dye the hair black. I just finished painting the head - looks like my skills have degraded in this arena and/or the sculpt is just hard to paint. It's decent, but I was hoping for better.

Conan.jpg

I need to sculpt the sword, next, and paint the bracers on the arms, but I'm not sure what to do about the underwear area. Should I use the regular fur underwear and paint it as appropriate, or sculpt a unique underwear based more on the Conan cartoon?

Thanks!
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!

The Ultimate Warrior becomes Conan the Adventurer?
    What a surprise!
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Widget
    Eyebrows come out a little strange needs to be corrected

Eh, I think the eyebrows are okay. The eyes aren't my favorite, but most of that is because the acetone affected his left eye a bit and he's now got a bit of psoriosis. Still, I'm pushing along. Robbed a Man-At-Arms of his boots and loincloth, then painted the belt black. Altered a black armband and painted it gold and gave him a sword from a dollar store figure I picked up 10 years ago.

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.JPEG

I'll need to fashion him a necklace and figure out how I want to do the shield, but he's getting there.
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!

Good start! I'm doing something similar to bring other franchises into the Origins world.

A good source for extra accessories and loincloths are the FUNKO savage age ranges, if you can get them cheap.