Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So...what do your kids think of MOTU?

Heroic Warrior

So...what do your kids think of MOTU?

I have two boys. One turned 5 last week, and one turned 3 three months ago.

Before I introduced them to MOTU, they watched:

• Rescue Bots
    • Paw Patrol
    • Blaze and the Monster Machines
    • Pororo
    • Thomas and Friends
    • TayTayo
    • Shimmer and Shine
    • Care Bears

I played a few Filmation episodes to them in April and they were intrigued. For a solid week, it's all they wanted to watch. They particularly liked the Evil Seed episode and the Secret of the Sword. They loved the transformation scene. I don't think they'd ever seen anything like it, apart from a few episodes of Cyberverse.

In parallel I started showing them a few Pixel Dan reviews of MOTU Classics figures. Delighted that MOTU toys existed, I promised to buy them some of the Origins figures.

A few weeks later, He-Man, Skeletor and Battle Cat arrived from Amazon. Battle Cat was the biggest hit. A week or two later, Prince Adam Sky Sled showed up. They loved the vehicle. A week after that, BBTS came through with Origins Wave 1.

The figures were very popular for a few weeks; then the boys veered away from them and wanted to role-play He-Man. I and my youngest would be Skeletor and Trap Jaw (Trap Jaw being his favorite) and the eldest would be He-Man, on top of Castle Grayskull (i.e. the top bunk of his bunk bed), and I would hurl projectiles (pillows) up at him.

In the past month they have warmed to the figures again. Regarding the Skeletor figure particularly, they don't really like the Origins look due to his red eyes, so I bought Super 7 filmation Skeletor and Super 7 Hordak for good measure. Then wave 5 arrived and man, do they love the figures now!

Firm favorites are Super7 Skeletor and Origins Panthor, Filmation blue Hordak, Origins LoP Mer-Man, and Ram Man, who never seems to leave my youngest son's hands.

The landshark is also a huge hit, and the Wind Raider, Castle Grayskull and Waves 2 and 4 (especially Tri-Klops, Man-E-Faces and Trap Jaw) are eagerly anticipated. I mean they never stop asking about where they are.

And they continue to watch Pixel Dan videos - every. single. character. They now appreciate posing the characters, and the accessories that come with them. They line them up in their beds at night and are constantly asking when new figures will arrive.

When I showed them the teaser for Revelations when that broke, they went wild. They are literally counting down the days to 23 July. (BTW, they also enjoyed watching random episodes of 200x, especially the Snake Men episodes. But its's been a while since they requested to watch a Filmation or 200x episode.)

The major downside is that they are alone in this obsession. None of their peers have heard of MOTU, and they have never seen the toys in any of the toy shops here (we're in Dubai...Mattel seems really poorly represented here tbh yet all of the other popular stuff is readily available).

Bottom line -- if my kids love MOTU, I'm sure others would too. Mattel just needs to get the marketing right.

Heroic Warrior
    My 9 year old daughter loved the Netflix SheRa. She has rewatched the whole show at least twice. She likes the vintage HeMan and SheRa cartoons, but she never chooses to watch them. The Revelations trailer did get her excited for that show, so we'll watch that together. The cgi show that is coming this fall could be a hit with her, too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I have 3 kids, an 8 year old girl, 6 yr old boy, and 3 yr old boy. They have zero interest in he-man.

The girl liked my MOTUC pop stuff until the new cartoon, which she fell in love with, but then disliked the figs because they didn't look like the cartoon.

The 6 yr old boy was never interested. I got him the SDCC2 pack, He-man + Adam and he never touched them once. Not even a passing interest. He likes the things his friends like; Ben 10, Marvel toys, and Pokemon--and even then they barely play with action figures--its mostly cosplay and videogames. I tried to watch both Filmation and 200x cartoons and he just doesn't care. (He IS into anime though, so we are enjoying My Hero Academia and Naruto)

My 3 yr old received He-man, Skeletor, Man-at-Arms, Scareglow, Beast-Man and Battle Cat for Christmas, and Teela, Evil Lyn, Sky Sled and Panthor for his birthday...He is somewhat interested in Panthor, but for the most part they sit in his toy chest unplayed with. Good news is that he likes watching Filmation, so there MAY be some hope for him yet...

Overall what I have seen is that boys don't play with action figures as much of nearly as long as they did when we were kids. None of the kids my kids play with or most of the kids I know are never seen playing with action figures...its almost always cosplay or video games. Even Pokemon toys, whose catch phrase is "gotta catch em all" my kid has only asked for a couple that are his favorite

No boys toy brand will ever achieve the success boys' toys of the 80's and early 90s did. Its a phenomenon of the generation. I think MOTUO and Masterverse could be "successful", compared to other contemporary toylines, but never ever reach the heights of what has come before.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Widget
    My boys are 5 and 8.
    MOTU has definitely stirred their imaginations. They both love to draw the characters and love to build their own custom lego vehicles for the eternia minis. They've started building castle grayskull and snake mountain in minecraft which made me proud They are super excited for Revelations as well.

When it comes to the toys, the figures just don't seem to be a real draw for them. They will play with them for a few days then its over. They love when I surprise them with an Origins figure but if we are out and they see one on the shelf that they don't have, its not that big a deal.

My grandson likes the 2002 Masters cartoon, but won't watch Filmation at all. I also like the 2002 Cartoon a lot and he probably likes that I will watch it with him, so there is that. There was more action and characters were better established in the 200X cartoon. Unfortunately, LOL, He picks Spongebob to watch about 2:1 over He-man, but I am happy he still likes MOTU.

Also, just to note. He didn't really watch Masters until the origins toys came out. I gave him my loose 200x stuff. He loves it them. He only plays with the Origins toys that have actions features. He LOVES Landshark. I would say it's by far one of his favorite toys in general. He likes the battle armor figures and Battle cat and Panthor. He really isn't into ANY of the other characters at all. I think Mattel is underestimating the action features on figures AND vehicles with kids. He doesn't do any parts swapping although he knows they do that. He is on the younger side for this stuff but man those action features are the only reason he plays with any of this stuff.

I bet the Dinosaurs would do well in MOTU again. He loves dinosaurs and really like Battle cat and Panthor. I think vehicles like Attack Track, Spydor, and Monstroid would be huge hits with him and pull him into the brand.

So Mattel, if you are reading, we need these action features and electronics brought back as that is what made Masters awesome when I was a kid as well!
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

Hermione (9) has grown up with Classics coming into the house the first half (plus) of her life, and has enjoyed the Filmation shows and adored the Dreamworks She-Ra cartoon. She's very fond of the property, mythology, and characters, and knows a ton about it. (Check out her stuff on Youtube; she reviews the Origins collection we share, and she's pretty passionate about it all.) She can't wait for Revelation and (to a lesser degree, I think) the new, younger-skewed he-Man cartoon.

Today, I took her to Houston's Comicpalooza, and she was super-excited to get a picture riding on the massive Battle Cat prop, wielding the Power Sword and He-Man's shield! (I'll post pics to my IG later.) She was pretty stoked to see cosplays of e-man, She-Ra (DW), Catra (DW), and Skeletor. She was bummed that some of the Origins items we saw were out of the price range she set for herself, but she has no idea I have all those toys set aside for her in the house.

Also, she got a very sweet birthday phone call from a cast member from Filmation's She-Ra last year when Covid prevented her party from happening!

I always ask her if she only likes this stuff because of me, and she seems to get offended when I do. Like, "Dad, I'm not that easily persuaded."
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Hermione (9) has grown up with Classics coming into the house the first half (plus) of her life, and has enjoyed the Filmation shows and adored the Dreamworks She-Ra cartoon. She's very fond of the property, mythology, and characters, and knows a ton about it. (Check out her stuff on Youtube; she reviews the Origins collection we share, and she's pretty passionate about it all.) She can't wait for Revelation and (to a lesser degree, I think) the new, younger-skewed he-Man cartoon.

Today, I took her to Houston's Comicpalooza, and she was super-excited to get a picture riding on the massive Battle Cat prop, wielding the Power Sword and He-Man's shield! (I'll post pics to my IG later.) She was pretty stoked to see cosplays of e-man, She-Ra (DW), Catra (DW), and Skeletor. She was bummed that some of the Origins items we saw were out of the price range she set for herself, but she has no idea I have all those toys set aside for her in the house.

Also, she got a very sweet birthday phone call from a cast member from Filmation's She-Ra last year when Covid prevented her party from happening!

I always ask her if she only likes this stuff because of me, and she seems to get offended when I do. Like, "Dad, I'm not that easily persuaded."
    Stop being an influencer, dad!!

This is super cool! So good to hear!

I am glad that she really likes the Dreamworks PoP... you will have to let us know what Hermione thinks of the CGI show when it airs.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

This is heartwarming.

I know I've told you before how awesome your YouTube stuff is, but I'm saying it again.

Hopefully it won't be like my niece was with Ninja Turtles, where she cared a lot for like a couple of years but then completely stopped caring once she became a teenager and now barely remembers ever being a fan of it. That was heartbreaking.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I don't have kids of my own, but I'm basically half-raising my little 4 year-old niece, and she loves MOTU. She doesn't watch the shows that much, though she does love that commercial from a couple of years ago where Skeletor and He-Man dance. She plays with the toys daily, alongside the Imaginext stuff I keep for her to play with, and whatever she brings with her. Her favorite MOTU figures are Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Skeletot (an Imaginext grimp reaper that has become Skeletor's son, who is much nicer than his father), Beast Man, Mer-Man, Trap Jaw, Ram Man, Man-at-Arms, Clamp Champ (who she calls "Champion"), and Fisto. Even though he's not strictly MOTU, she also really likes the WWE MOTU Macho Man. Everyone has developed weird personalities based on her play patterns and goofy stuff I come up with on the fly. Skeletor mostly uses his magic to make people poop on themselves. Man-at-Arms serves as an all-purpose doctor, but his cures are often worse than the affliction, in the vein of Dr. Nick Riviera. Mer-Man wears Scare Glow's cloak and puts on lounge singer-style musical perfomances, and apparently is an amazing showman, as everyone always gathers round to watch.

This was born when I randomly had him start singing, doing a (probably pretty bad) Mer-Man voice, and she thought it was hilarious, so it became a staple. It gets a little hard on my throat after a while, but she likes it, so it's worth it. She also loves the Land Shark, which didn't surprise me in the least, as she has been fascinated with sharks since she was a tiny baby.

It's funny how some that I was sure she would love, like Scare Glow, she wound up being pretty indifferent to. I also thought she would prefer the LoP Mer-Man because of his rather goofy face, but she still likes the vintage toy-style version, and says that the LoP figure's big eyes are creepy. She's seen the first trailer for Revelation and is excited to see it, but I'm gonna watch it first to make sure it's appropriate viewing for a 4 year old.

Brave Child!
    A loved fam member is in love with classics now esp Orko at 3.5. Must be identification. He loves the land shark and calls it cute at 4. At 3 he asked what was my skelator and hordak classics are displayed on SM classics . I told him their names, For both he gulped and gently asked me to please put Skelator and Hordak away because they are scary. Ironically, he loved the castle! I put them away. Some of his friends now ask him to put it away because they find it scary. Anyone else have this issue?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    He only plays with the Origins toys that have actions features. He LOVES Landshark. I would say it's by far one of his favorite toys in general. He likes the battle armor figures and Battle cat and Panthor. He really isn't into ANY of the other characters at all. I think Mattel is underestimating the action features on figures AND vehicles with kids. He doesn't do any parts swapping although he knows they do that. He is on the younger side for this stuff but man those action features are the only reason he plays with any of this stuff.

I bet the Dinosaurs would do well in MOTU again. He loves dinosaurs and really like Battle cat and Panthor. I think vehicles like Attack Track, Spydor, and Monstroid would be huge hits with him and pull him into the brand.

So Mattel, if you are reading, we need these action features and electronics brought back as that is what made Masters awesome when I was a kid as well!
    Yes on reflection with my own kids, the action features are a big draw. Ram-Man is a huge hit because of his action feature.
    And when I handed the boys the Super7 Skeletor and Hordak, they discovered the power punch feature by themselves and are constantly doing it. Oddly enough, they're also not interested in swapping parts.
    They also enjoy the mini comics and accessories. I keep the accessories in a bag and give them whenever they request them, then pack them away again at night (they'd lose them otherwise).

- - - Updated - - -

Hermione (9) has grown up with Classics coming into the house the first half (plus) of her life, and has enjoyed the Filmation shows and adored the Dreamworks She-Ra cartoon. She's very fond of the property, mythology, and characters, and knows a ton about it. (Check out her stuff on Youtube; she reviews the Origins collection we share, and she's pretty passionate about it all.)
    It's great to see the bonding that can happen between children and parents who collect toys.

I was initially skeptical of all the masses of plastic that started to clutter my house when my kids were small. But I gradually came round to the idea that the more toys, the better, especially toys with a mythos surrounding them. This Pixel Dan video in particular 100% convinced me. My kids bring their toys with them to restaurants...when I look around, other kids their age are often engrossed in a smart phone. I'd much prefer my kids to use toys than be glued to a screen.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not a parent and I don't hang out with like small children, but I do know the general opinion of people aged 15 to 25. They're mainly familiar with it because of Filmation and more specifically memes about Filmation. All of my friends have seen SPOP and loved it (I convinced them to watch it because they all liked Nimona when I convinced them to read that; but I pay the price because I got the nickname Noelle Stevenson's simp lmao). Literally nobody has heard of 200X outside of the 25 year old.

As for Revelations, a few of the big animation fans are excited for it because they liked Castlevania.

I also got most of them to agree to doing a Legends of Grayskull campaign if/when that actually happens.

Overall, they aren't really interested or familiar with MOTU, but tolerate my incessant ramblings and obsessions.

Well, my son is almost 4 and by now he knows the name of all Origins figures so far. He also likes to watch the old cartoon on Youtube / TV and recognizes those that are in Origins as well.

My childhood vintage Stratos is his favourite, ever. He grabs him and never let go.

He likes to play with them but he doesn't do it when he is playing alone. He calls me to play with him and is very interested in the roleplay I make for him:

* Ninjor tries to steal Castle Grayskull from Sorceress but she is helped by the other heroic warriors;
    * Clamp Champ, Zodac and Merman go to the beach (the sofa has a blue cover that is "the sea";
    * Clamp Champ or He-Man rides Wind Raider and run over evil warriors (he pushes Wind Raider like a car);
    * Vintage Battle Armor He-Man (origins version will be opened this week), vintage Stratos and Origins Beastman climb and fall from a tree (the cat's wood scratcher)
    * Knock Knock Knockin' on Greyskull's door: Each figure knocks on CG door and he asks "who is it?". I then describe the figure characteristics so he can say who is it. If he guesses right, the figure enters the castle;
    * Sky Sled and the flying battle cat: some figure rides those two and we fly around the house;

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    My son is 5 yo and daughter 6 yo. Both of them know MOTU because of me. My son is totally into it and sometimes he watches Filmation episodes on youtube. My daughter knows them a lot, but now she prefers more girly toys. My son loves Classics, but also likes a lot the action features and missile launching features of 200X.
    Wish list of Masterverse figures: Roboto, Sagitar, Red Beast, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

My son is turning 22 soon. When the 200X line came out in 2002, I bought every toy and he became a fan! I also had my vintage collection that we played with a lot. He continued to play with them for about 6 or 7 more years. When my wife left the house for a few hours, we would turn the living room into Eternia: The 200X Grayskull, the vintage Eternia towers, and all the figures! It was a huge and epic battle, we even played the MotU movie score during the battles!

Now that he is 22, we are both really looking forward to the Revelations show in a few days!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak’s Emissary View Post
    Yes on reflection with my own kids, the action features are a big draw. Ram-Man is a huge hit because of his action feature.
    And when I handed the boys the Super7 Skeletor and Hordak, they discovered the power punch feature by themselves and are constantly doing it. Oddly enough, they're also not interested in swapping parts.
    They also enjoy the mini comics and accessories. I keep the accessories in a bag and give them whenever they request them, then pack them away again at night (they'd lose them otherwise).

- - - Updated - - -

It's great to see the bonding that can happen between children and parents who collect toys.

I was initially skeptical of all the masses of plastic that started to clutter my house when my kids were small. But I gradually came round to the idea that the more toys, the better, especially toys with a mythos surrounding them. This Pixel Dan video in particular 100% convinced me. My kids bring their toys with them to restaurants...when I look around, other kids their age are often engrossed in a smart phone. I'd much prefer my kids to use toys than be glued to a screen.
    We love bringing figures to restaurants! We bring Origins plenty, but Hermione also likes to bring the new 3.75" Marvel figures since they're small and she can bring plenty in a small zip-lock baggie.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

I have a kid in elementary school and another kid in middle school. They both like Filmation He-Man, Filmation She-Ra, and 200X cartoons, but dislike Netflix She-Ra. They have some figures from the Vintage, 200X, minis, MUSCLE, and Origins lines. They are starting to get more into video games now, though, so don't play with figures quite as much as they used to.

If there was a MOTU video game of some sort, they would be all over it. Action figures now are 'meh' to them. Oh well. More toys for me!
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing." - Skeletor
    My thought on collecting.

My son would get all excited whenever He-Man appeared on screen during Revelations, and would look confused whenever he wasn't, but he's only 3

My son got into Filmation a few months back, and he can name pretty much all the major players and a lot of the vintage toys (he’s fascinated by the old Battle Armor figures). But he’s pretty lukewarm on Origins. He’s very much an action-feature kinda kid, and there just aren’t enough in the line right now that have that trait to interest him. Origins Ram Man is his favorite, and he’ll probably love the new Mosquitor.

My 5 year old girl really enjoys it. she was drawn to my classics figures but i started buying her the origins figures for obvious reasons (she lost my NA skelly's helmet but otherwise looked after them but i was on tender hooks the whole time).

she lost her mind when i got castle grayskull "for her - honest". She watched revelation 4 times over the first week it was out. She really wants a toy sword (he-man or she-ra, she doesn't care) so i'm seriously hoping mattel release something like that - i can already tell you that she won't have any interest in this CG cartoon that's coming out. it looks very poor to say the least.

She likes the netflix she-ra show but she didn't really get that into it. she prefers the vintage show
    Looking for (MOTUC loose or MOC):
    High Priority: Panthor, Ninjor, Two Bad, Filmation Sorceress, Tung Lashor
    Low(er) Priority: Battle Lion, NA She-Ra, Flying Fists He-Man, Ultimate Faker, Ultimate He-man, Ultimate Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    My son is turning 22 soon. When the 200X line came out in 2002, I bought every toy and he became a fan! I also had my vintage collection that we played with a lot. He continued to play with them for about 6 or 7 more years. When my wife left the house for a few hours, we would turn the living room into Eternia: The 200X Grayskull, the vintage Eternia towers, and all the figures! It was a huge and epic battle, we even played the MotU movie score during the battles!

Now that he is 22, we are both really looking forward to the Revelations show in a few days!
    I was like, man this has taken a dark turn, in the middle there.

My 4 year old enjoys it, we started Revelations and she wanted to binge the whole thing. Kept asking if we were gonna watch Battle Man tonight. She loves Panthor, Battle Cat/Cringer but she's an animal lover. First it was dogs (we do not own one), Big Cats (we own 2 cats) then horses and now she's obsessed with Dinosaurs. She plays with all my old vintage beaters and loves going in the toy room and just root through boxes/tubs of stuff that I even forgot was there so she can play with them. We will go to Target or Walmart and she will say we go look for daddy toys and we get there and she'll say only skeletor, again. So she's learning the hustle

- - - Updated - - -

Today, I took her to Houston's Comicpalooza, and she was super-excited to get a picture riding on the massive Battle Cat prop, wielding the Power Sword and He-Man's shield! (I'll post pics to my IG later.)
    Just followed you on IG
    Instagram: dadhausen

I don't have kids, nor am I in close contact with any, but I know that when I see kids in the stores, they have a phone in their hands, not toys. I also don't remember the last time I saw a kid in the toy aisle, which is really sad.

The thing is, when I was in elementary school in the early 90s, I was the only kid I knew who played with toys or watched cartoons The other kids were already moving on to video games and considered cartoons and action figures "baby stuff."

My dog ate half of Classics Trap Jaw and Man at Arms. I don’t know if that means he likes it so much that he had to sample the flavors of two figures, or if he doesn’t like it since he didn’t finish either one.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.